Food on princess

memeez

I find the food on Princess to be precisely commensurate with the price I pay and with the mass production, assembly-line restrictions of the galley. And that can be taken however one likes.

I guess that means the food's "OK".

I have to agree. We had very good food on the Royal in 2014 but the two cruises since then (Island and Grand) have not been up to standards, in fact, I would go so far as to say that the food on the Grand was bad.

IMHO, the worse food was on the Star Princess. I won't go on that ship again unless they get a new chef and menu on Lido. I call Star the sausage ship. I swear every dish for BLD were sausages cooked in various ways. They even had a meatloaf (cold) with a hot dog stuck down the center of it. I'm sure it was leftover from the burger grill outside. I HATE MEATLOAF. By the tine we got home, I didn't want to see another sausage for months.

My favorite thing on Lido are the bread sticks that are soft with different seeds on them. On the Island Princess they call them pretzel sticks. I hope they have them on our upcoming cruises.

IMHO, the worse food was on the Star Princess. I won't go on that ship again unless they get a new chef and menu on Lido. I call Star the sausage ship. I swear every dish for BLD were sausages cooked in various ways. They even had a meatloaf (cold) with a hot dog stuck down the center of it. I'm sure it was leftover from the burger grill outside. I HATE MEATLOAF. By the tine we got home, I didn't want to see another sausage for months.

My favorite thing on Lido are the bread sticks that are soft with different seeds on them. On the Island Princess they call them pretzel sticks. I hope they have them on our upcoming cruises.

Princess makes the sorriest looking meatloaf I've ever seen. It might taste OK but I've never had the nerve to try it yet.

I just got off the Royal and would have to say that other than a few meals/items, the food was poor. I would question how they served some of it. The buffet was awful, MDR had a few items that were ok. Many things had no flavor, we're not hot, and seemed to be diluted.

Crown Grill was excellent though.

Princess lost my family as customers!

Was on the GRand last December going again this year... from what I have seen the food on Princess is about the same as other lines we cruise on... actually prefer Princess to Celebrity, we are elite on both lines.

Also cruise Cunard, Holland America from time to time... the absolute worst for us is NCL... we skip the mdr on NCL ... do the same on Celebrity.

Food on all lines is not what it use to be.

We plan to eat at the Crown Grill for our next two Princess cruises on the Grand and Royal... menu in the Crown Grill is more like it use to be... so worth the extra charge for us.

On our next Grand cruise we booked on board and got a $500 on board credit... so actually the credit will cover the Crown Grill pretty much for our 10 days minus a few $s.

On the Royal we will simply pay more and enjoy it. Doing a 14 day TA...

I just got off the Royal and would have to say that other than a few meals/items, the food was poor. I would question how they served some of it. The buffet was awful, MDR had a few items that were ok. Many things had no flavor, we're not hot, and seemed to be diluted.

Glad to hear the Crown Grill was worth it, as we have already decided to eat there most of our 14 day cruise... not til 2017... hope it is still good. Things change all the time.

Can you be more specific. Just what was poor, in your opinion?

And what was so excellent about the Crown Grille?

That bums me out! Taking my mom on her fist cruise on the Royal in hopes she will start to join us on our vacations. I would hate for it to be a bad experience. Especially considering how much we are paying for the cruise [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on a 14 day B 2 B on the Regal. The food was decent in the MDR. Decent means not bad, not excellent. Crown Grill/Sabatini's were better, but not by much. Seafood was excellent there, but steaks were no higher than "select" grade & certainly NOT choice or prime. I'm in the food industry & know meat quality. The ambience is very nice as opposed to the loudness of the MDR's(simply by the crowds eating) Seafood on Princess was very good overall. We still prefer the MDR on the Celebrity Eclipse & will be back there in Jan. Murano was FAR superior to specialized rest. on the Regal. The price was quite a bit higher so the food quality was better. I'm sure food varies a lot across cruiselines ships, but we never had a terrible meal on any line. Just some that were unmemorable. The buffet on Princess was better overall than that on Celebrity, so I'll give Princess a win there.

Expectations, as well as tastes vary .

I figured out years ago as cruise lines started adding more specialty dining rooms, that mdr food would change. We don't choose mainstream lines for the fine dining. With choices on menus, we seem to leave the table satisfied ( not awestruck) every night.

Edited by eandj

And we just got off the sister ship, the Regal and ate arguably the best food we've eaten on a Princess Cruise. We only eat at the HC since we can't be doing with white tablecloths and fawning servers - besides which we like a curry and you can always get a half-decent (or better) curry there.

Honestly it's all subjective and down to personal opinion and as has been noted is really down to how the kitchens are run on each ship, but you won't go hungry and there'll be something on the myriad of menu offerings that you'll like. Besides which, let be honest, unless you're sailing Cunard you weren't really expecting fine dining were you?

I think a lot of people go on a cruise without much of a clue about dining, thinking that they’re going to be getting gourmet food every meal and everything is going to be perfect. Little do they realize that the meals are mass produced in the galley, like an assembly line. The galley produces a tremendous amount food 3 times a day to feed everyone, is everyone going to be happy, I think not. I think when someone says that the food on such and such ship is totally inedible is pure BS. I laugh when they say that they are never going to sail on such and such ship again because the food is terrible, it just shows me how little they know. The few times my wife and I have had a bad meal we sent it back and got something else. When look at the menu and I don’t see anything I like I’ll ask for a children’s menu. Cruise lines are a for profit business they have to watch their costs just like every business does one does, the cost of food on a cruise ship is a huge expense. To stay competitive, they have to make cut backs. Will it ever be the same as it was 5 or 10 years ago no it’s not. The cruise we just booked actually costs less than the same cruise we took 10 years ago, how can they do that. Less labor, smaller portions, lower quality food, less fish and less fancy cuts of meat. I have a friend who will not cruise on a mass market cruise line, they only cruise on the high end cruise lines so they can be pampered with all the extras. For what little we pay for the mass market cruises I think we get a pretty good deal.

I think a lot of people go on a cruise without much of a clue about dining, thinking that they’re going to be getting gourmet food every meal and everything is going to be perfect. Little do they realize that the meals are mass produced in the galley, like an assembly line. The galley produces a tremendous amount food 3 times a day to feed everyone, is everyone going to be happy, I think not. I think when someone says that the food on such and such ship is totally inedible is pure BS. I laugh when they say that they are never going to sail on such and such ship again because the food is terrible, it just shows me how little they know. The few times my wife and I have had a bad meal we sent it back and got something else. When look at the menu and I don’t see anything I like I’ll ask for a children’s menu. Cruise lines are a for profit business they have to watch their costs just like every business does one does, the cost of food on a cruise ship is a huge expense. To stay competitive, they have to make cut backs. Will it ever be the same as it was 5 or 10 years ago no it’s not. The cruise we just booked actually costs less than the same cruise we took 10 years ago, how can they do that. Less labor, smaller portions, lower quality food, less fish and less fancy cuts of meat. I have a friend who will not cruise on a mass market cruise line, they only cruise on the high end cruise lines so they can be pampered with all the extras. For what little we pay for the mass market cruises I think we get a pretty good deal.

I generally agree with you. Food is usually good, sometimes terrific. Never bad. If something is not to your liking , just send it back. When people complain that the food is horrible or inedible, it makes me wonder what they eat at home, three times a day. One day on a cruise ship costs less than one meal at a high end restaurant, so how can anyone expect it to be gourmet. Of the mass market lines I think Princess does the best job with food. Btw, the Norman Love desserts are as good as any expensive restaurant.

Best food I had was on the Pacific Princess. Worst was on the Golden. Same dishes but different chefs. It can vary from ship to ship. Mostly I've had good food over 10+ ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Smaller ship, less volume should equal better food. Also the head chef can be more hands on.

I generally agree with you. Food is usually good, sometimes terrific. Never bad. If something is not to your liking , just send it back. When people complain that the food is horrible or inedible, it makes me wonder what they eat at home, three times a day. One day on a cruise ship costs less than one meal at a high end restaurant, so how can anyone expect it to be gourmet. Of the mass market lines I think Princess does the best job with food. Btw, the Norman Love desserts are as good as any expensive restaurant.

I agree about expectations, in fact on longer cruises I find myself craving simpler food.

Two personal observations, as most food discussion is personal anyway...

1. Norman love was OK but too rich for my tastes

2. I thought Celebrity food was as good as Princess, save very small serves, one night menu said Spring Rolls, actually it was one Spring Roll and a very small one at that, another night it was Ribs, again just one, of course I could ask for more, but that would throw the whole table, just wish they'd use the singular if you only got one so you could ask for more when placing the order.

That bums me out! Taking my mom on her fist cruise on the Royal in hopes she will start to join us on our vacations. I would hate for it to be a bad experience. Especially considering how much we are paying for the cruise [emoji53]

You and your mom can be the only judge for yourselves.

Jennybenny, your mom will have a great time on the cruise. Just because you will be cruising together. She will love just being with her kids and the cruise will be the icing on the cake!!! :) :) :)

Tony

Jennybenny, your mom will have a great time on the cruise. Just because you will be cruising together. She will love just being with her kids and the cruise will be the icing on the cake!!! :) :) :)

Tony

Thanks Tony, you are soooo right! We haven't vacationed with mom since we were kids! We have gone to family destinations weddings but this will just be her and her girls, no men or kids. I think she's excited about that!