2017 Grandeur Refurbishment

niceneasy

I hope they fix the "speed bump" on the jogging deck while in dry dock. I thought it was only a temporary fix from the damage in March 2014.

I can't wait to come home to her in November.

Edited by PTAngel

I hope they fix the "speed bump" on the jogging deck while in dry dock. I thought it was only a temporary fix from the damage in March 2014.

I am also going on her in November. By chance is it the 12 night on the 18th?

That "speedbump" split happened when we were onboard in March 2014 and yes, it's scheduled to be permanently fixed. When we were on in Nov, at the Captain's Corner, the Hotel Director said at that time they didnt' have the final info from Miami yet. They put in a wish list and Miami surveys the ship and then they report out what will be done based on budget. By now, they should know what's going to get refurbed. But, from what we were told, no new restaurants.

From what I know (research and been told by RCCL) the work to be done is the scrubbers (clean air) the speed bump damage and some ship enhancements.

Now this last bit could be anything from new carpet in the corridors, a new restaurant, or new straws for the bar areas. It doesn't tell us anything, but Grandeur isn't the first one in this class to have the refit so until Legend of the Seas have had their's done then the same will happen to Grandeur.

Time will tell.

Edited by SausPud

That "speedbump" split happened when we were onboard in March 2014 and yes, it's scheduled to be permanently fixed. When we were on in Nov, at the Captain's Corner, the Hotel Director said at that time they didnt' have the final info from Miami yet. They put in a wish list and Miami surveys the ship and then they report out what will be done based on budget. By now, they should know what's going to get refurbed. But, from what we were told, no new restaurants.

We were also on that cruise & it was our very first cruise. I think because there was no panic & the crew handled it very casually, we didn't give up on cruising as you can tell in my signature. To me, the GOS is like going home.

• 2 months later...

In 2017, R/C Grandeur of the Seas looks like she has a hole in her sailing schedule from April 24th to May 13th, 2017. Figuring transit time to and from the dry-dock facility, it looks like the actual work may done somewhere between April 26th & May 10th. (an approx. 2.5 week window). How much can they get done in two and a half weeks!? This is just a guess from the peanut gallery.

Edited by DannoB

In 2017, R/C Grandeur of the Seas looks like she has a hole in her sailing schedule from April 24th to May 13th, 2017. Figuring transit time to and from the dry-dock facility, it looks like the actual work may done somewhere between April 26th & May 10th. (an approx. two week window). How much can they get done in two weeks!? This is just a guess from the peanut gallery.

Not much, just regular marine side and some new paint. It's not like they would replace all furniture or add much of anything that it doesn't already had done last time around 5 yrs ago. It's almost the oldest ship in the fleet and isn't in bad shape anyway......

I was on her two weeks ago. During the Q&A, the question was asked what was being done in drydock and they pretty much said mostly repairs of the wear and tear, plus adding in the scrubbers. There was a blocked off area near the smoke stack with the sign "we are improving ourselves" or something like that. They also said many of the halls and carpets will be repaired and replaced.

I hope the refit includes a new outside TV screen along with new deck chairs and loungers--too many fat people have stretched out the plastic lattice work--myself included. The current outdoor screen has a lot of burned out pixels and has lost its brightness. I also hope the replace the bedding. Mine was hard as a rock on a Nov. '16 sailing. And they better repaint her real good, she's starting to look like a Somali pirate mother ship, as rusted as she's looking.

Cool Shippmates, I(we) will look forward to meeting you! Bon Voyage

Edited by DannoB

Grandeur doesn't need new restaurants, they need to pay more attention to food served in the main dining room instead! The quality of the meals have incrementally been going down hill, slowly but surely.

I hope the refit includes a new outside TV screen along with new deck chairs and loungers--too many fat people have stretched out the plastic lattice work--myself included. The current outdoor screen has a lot of burned out pixels and has lost its brightness. I also hope the replace the bedding. Mine was hard as a rock on a Nov. '16 sailing. And they better repaint her real good, she's starting to look like a Somali pirate mother ship, as rusted as she's looking.

Cool Shippmates, I(we) will look forward to meeting you! Bon Voyage

Very funny!:D:D

We were on the Grandeur in 2015. While I loved the cruise and many aspects of the ship I could see clearly that it needed some fixing up. Someone has mentioned the "speed bump" on the deck - I agree. Also, the wooden railings are, in many places, chipped and shabby looking. One of the side screens in the theater was dimmer than the other and had color issues. Another issue, which may not be fixable, is that the tile floor of the Windjammer is not flat but rises up. When the floor gets slippery, which it often does, the footing is very treacherous. Finally I noticed a sour smell in many of the corridors outside the staterooms.

I hope they fix these issues.

Grandeur doesn't need new restaurants, they need to pay more attention to food served in the main dining room instead! The quality of the meals have incrementally been going down hill, slowly but surely.
Was on Grandeur recently and on her again in August, and it was some of the best food I've had in several cruises!....K.O.:D

Just a side note, traveling to the NV today and almost in Miami we passed a lifeboat from Grandeur south bound on a wide load trailer???

A couple of weeks a lifeboat fell off while docked in Charleston ... I just got off her today and I can confirm that the lifeboat at muster station 5 is missing ... :eek:

Edited by CandRcruise
A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...