Port Canaveral CLOSED

The suggestion about coming to Orlando isn't much better. I'm over 40 miles from the ocean and it's going to be scary as anything over here, too.

My son and his family ended up at the Embassy Suites in Buena Vista. Pretty sure that's going to be tropical storm winds.

My panic is also compounded about concerns here at home. Our house is located less than 1/2 mile as the sea gulls fly to the ocean front.

Our plan is to drive down on Saturday. However, Matthew was projected to hit my neck of the woods Saturday evening. I really don't want to leave DH at home to deal with the house, dogs and motor home, etc.

We did get a little respite - it looks like Matthew might start heading east once it is near Savannah. Fingers crossed the sooner it heads east the better! (Sorry folks in Bermuda, it is not personal.)

I presume you are aware that if this storm continues toward the coast it will cause severe damage and it may be a week or more before we have electricity here throughout FL. We were sailing from Port Everglades in February and a microbust struck near the port and they could not disembark the passengers because there was no electricity. We were late boarding and about 2 hours late leaving port. If there is no electricity there will be no cruising in or out of FL ports. You had better call C&A before you attempt to drive to FL.

Okay, In the middle of a major panic attack here. What do our resident insiders know at this point about cruises over the next few days out of Port Canaveral?

Royal has not updated their info since mid day Wednesday.

We live 30 miles south of Port Canaveral. I would say, based on past experiences here, the port will not be open Friday. I would also say, there is a pretty good chance it will not be open Saturday either...it's possible, though. It's also possible that the harbor will need to be dredged before ships come in. It's also likely that only residents will be allowed over the causeway at first. I really don't remember how long it was before causeways were open to everyone. It might be that ships that are supposed to go out of Canaveral will be rerouted to Port Everglades or Miami.

It's going to be bad here....very bad. Brevard County has not had a Cat 4, ever.

Yes, the West side of town will probably fair much better. I'm out by UCF, so that's much further East.

I work over there, but live next to Valencia West campus, BUT, we're not sure we'll have power.

They just updated the storm surge amounts to be 6' minimum, going up to 9'. :eek:

I'm enjoying CC while I still have electricity- I might not be back for a while:)

Ellen,

So glad to see your post. Haven't seen you on the last day or so. Hope you are far away from ocean as they are not painting a pretty picture for Daytona Beach area. Know folks who evacuated from Ormond Beach to West Coast of FL. Please do all in your power to remain safe.

Grace

I work over there, but live next to Valencia West campus, BUT, we're not sure we'll have power.

They just updated the storm surge amounts to be 6' minimum, going up to 9'. :eek:

You in Metro West? Hope winds don't get to bad. We are having some wind here in Citrus County and we are 1 1/2 hrs north of Winter Garden.

My DH would love to live in FL but I've told him I'm willing to spend 2-3 winter months there. He knows that if we ever did move there, I'd be long gone before mandatory evacuations. We lived in Va Beach for 3 years over 30 years ago and we had the same deal then. Too easy to pack the car and go. Whether you stay or not does not determine the damage your property will have so why stay? You can't hold the roof down or stop the flooding.

We live 30 miles south of Port Canaveral. I would say, based on past experiences here, the port will not be open Friday. I would also say, there is a pretty good chance it will not be open Saturday either...it's possible, though. It's also possible that the harbor will need to be dredged before ships come in. It's also likely that only residents will be allowed over the causeway at first. I really don't remember how long it was before causeways were open to everyone. It might be that ships that are supposed to go out of Canaveral will be rerouted to Port Everglades or Miami.

It's going to be bad here....very bad. Brevard County has not had a Cat 4, ever.

we're 20 miles s/w of the port. we have experienced this before and the port had to be dredged back in 04 before ships could come in. we were cruising Mariner the weekend after the storm and had to take a bus to Ft. Lauderdale to cruise. the day we left, smaller ships were in the port, but the larger Mariner had to wait a few more days. we did return to PC. so, if you are cruising on FOS, I think it will go out in a southern port, but return to PC. we'll see. we are booked on it!

we're 20 miles s/w of the port. we have experienced this before and the port had to be dredged back in 04 before ships could come in. we were cruising Mariner the weekend after the storm and had to take a bus to Ft. Lauderdale to cruise. the day we left, smaller ships were in the port, but the larger Mariner had to wait a few more days. we did return to PC. so, if you are cruising on FOS, I think it will go out in a southern port, but return to PC. we'll see. we are booked on it!

We sail on FOS on Sunday as well and this is a possibility I had not considered. So we could possibly sail out of Miami or FL and then return to PC?? Will RCCL take care of getting us to the new port from PC? I'd love more details on how this works.

We sail on FOS on Sunday as well and this is a possibility I had not considered. So we could possibly sail out of Miami or FL and then return to PC?? Will RCCL take care of getting us to the new port from PC? I'd love more details on how this works.

Yes, they will probably by bus.

We are on the Freedom of the Seas now and the big question from the Captain is whether or not the port will be open on Sunday for us.

Our car is parked in front of the Radisson.....or at least it wad when we left. We are more concercned about the devastation once we get back in and what to do if we have no car.

Supposed to be a rough ride back....say a prayer for us