A small tip for safely tipping extra on NCL ships

BreeYark

Quebecers do not write the $ after an amount on any bill.

Any bill from a restaurant, supermarket or any where else, the dollar amount is stated the same way as in the US.

In Quebec the customary tip is from 18%-20%

Our sales tax is 15.6% so it can be quite a bit more than what is shown on the menu.

Leaving a $1 tip would be considered an insult after a meal in Quebec also in any fine restaurant. It would be ok at a hot dog stand perhaps.

It is therefore probably an honest mistake that they thought it was $10.

The only issue here is that customer service should have rectified the issue to the customers satisfaction after being informed, regardless whether the tip was meant as an insult for bad service, mistake, or a tip based on someone's cultural background.

A lot of people posting in this thread seem to be caught up in whether or not the OP tipping an extra dollar was appropriate or not. Frankly that is not the point.

The point is the amount that was charged to their account was not the amount they had signed for. They went to guest services and brought it to their attention and they did not fix the error. That is WRONG.

Had the OP left a $10 tip and their account was charged $100 would everyone be more understanding of the issue?

I do think that in all likelihood it was an honest mistake and regardless if anyone thinks a $1 extra tip is appropriate or not, once an accounting error is brought to the attention of guest services it is their responsibility to fix the problem. They did not do this.

From personal experience there has been far too much of this happening on NCL lately and they need to correct this problem.

Rochelle

Agree with this 100%.

Lois

The only issue here is that customer service should have rectified the issue to the customers satisfaction after being informed, regardless whether the tip was meant as an insult for bad service, mistake, or a tip based on someone's cultural background.

Totally agree with this statement.

Well at least the poster is living up to his/her CC screen name.:D

My screen name is short for electronics because that is my trade.

I don't know what you mean by living up to my screen name.

Lois

Btw : her, not his

The point is that the OP tried to get it corrected and didn't. I will learn from this and only tip extra in cash if I feel it is warranted. They already add 18% before I know if the service is good, bad or indifferent. My daughter is a bartender and has tips from 10%-30% depending on the group. I tip very well as does my daughter. NCL is telling me I have no choice the tip is 18%. If the service is what it should be they won't get anything more. If it is better they will get 25%. I will have to work on my math skills to see what the difference is. I am glad I saw this thread as I wouldn't have known this might be an issue.

Candi

Maybe tipping is different in Canada .. It could be ;)

Canada's standard for tipping is similar to America's; however, the majority of Canadian food service workers receive the standard minimum wage (national average is $9.57). A minimum 15 per cent tip is expected in most restaurants.

A lot of people posting in this thread seem to be caught up in whether or not the OP tipping an extra dollar was appropriate or not. Frankly that is not the point.

The point is the amount that was charged to their account was not the amount they had signed for. They went to guest services and brought it to their attention and they did not fix the error. That is WRONG.

Had the OP left a $10 tip and their account was charged $100 would everyone be more understanding of the issue?

I do think that in all likelihood it was an honest mistake and regardless if anyone thinks a $1 extra tip is appropriate or not, once an accounting error is brought to the attention of guest services it is their responsibility to fix the problem. They did not do this.

From personal experience there has been far too much of this happening on NCL lately and they need to correct this problem.

Rochelle

I agree with Rochelle ,

I wonder if the OP would have written

On my last cruise, I had an unpleasant situation at a specialty restaurant. I had the SDP, with prepaid tips, but I decided to add an extra tip to the bill, having received great service. So I clearly wrote "xx$" on the extra tip line. My account then showed a xx.xx$ charge at that restaurant. I went to customer service to mention the mistake and all they could do was "leave a note for the specialty restaurant". It never got corrected. I don't like to waste time on these unpleasant things during a cruise, so I let it go, just making sure I never extra-tip that specific waitress again.

I'm not sure if this is a common scheme from the restaurant staff or if this is just an honest mistake, but I learned from that and I started writing my extra tips with words and letters, just to make sure I don't open up the opportunity for the same situation ever again. Now I clearly write "xxx" on the extra tip line, with lines before and after, just like I would on a check.

So my tip for safely tipping extra is just this : Write everything in words, not in numbers. This will greatly reduce the opportunity for a hard-to-correct unpleasant mistake to show up on your account.

What kind of response we would be getting on this thread?

Tips are included in the price you pay for specialty restaurants...nothing further is needed, although they make you THINK more is required.

No matter what ANYONE thinks about the amount of the ADDITIONAL tip, it should NOT be changed by either the waitstaff or the accounting people. Period.

I do think that they probably see very few $1 tips written in, and many more $10 tips, so I would be willing to accept that this was an honest mistake. .......

That was my thought when I saw it. $1 is an extra tip for a drink, not a meal.

I think this was probably an honest mistake, but should have been taken care of. As far as the extra $1 tip if you think about it sounds like this person was alone eating in the specialty restaurant . The 18% is pp at $35 for a meal if you wanted to do the customary 20% it would be a difference of .70 so the $1 might have made sense to him. Most of us feel this is an insult but we know nothing about this person so I can only assume he felt he was being thoughtful in making sure the waitress got the customary 20%. Now with that being said if you really want your server to get the extra tip you should leave cash. I read somewhere on this board that all tips left on receipts go into the general tip pool and all share in it. Not sure if this is true or not, but I always leave cash for any additional tip.

Speaking of tipping, this is my first NCL cruise. Do people typically tip every night in the MDR? I wasn't sure if they service charge goes towards that. On other cruises we get the same waiter for every meal so we would tip at the end in those envelopes. How does it work here?

Speaking of tipping, this is my first NCL cruise. Do people typically tip every night in the MDR? I wasn't sure if they service charge goes towards that. On other cruises we get the same waiter for every meal so we would tip at the end in those envelopes. How does it work here?

Your DSC covers the wait staff in the MDR. Most people do not tip each evening.

We tip extra every night. We never eat at the same place and therefore never see the same servers. $10 tip. Nothing that will break the bank, Just an extra "thank you" to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing

FYI any additional tips you charge to your room in the specialties gets shared by ALL employees at ALL specialty restaurants.

So your server literally got a penny (or less) from your extra $1 tip.

If you want to tip an exceptional server extra, hand them cash.

BTW, the 18% is not a tip. It's a service charge. It does not go to the specialty dining staff, who get a flat salary. However, they are paid a higher salary because the 18% is collected, so you don't have to feel obligated to tip.

If you do tip, make sure it's cash.

Edited by pokerpro5

On a recent Jade cruise we tipped $30 in cash ($5 each, we were a group of 6 travelling together) twice the couple of nights we had dinner at the Jasmine Asian Restaurant. We found service was just stellar and impeccable at this complimentary restaurant. The hostess was so accommodating she also got a $20 tip each night we had dinner there.

We also had dinner one night at Cagney's and felt the service was subpar....it also took them well over 30 minutes to fetch a bottle of non-alcoholic wine.

Cagney's on the Jade just did not impress us.

We left them a $1 tip in cash with a :-( sad face :-( scribbled on the bill/receipt to convey our displeasure

Thanks,

Fred

May be weird to you, but apparently many CC members feel as I do. Tipping a server $1 would be like tossing the bartender a quarter. Sure, technically it's something, but I don't think he'd be thrilled.

In that case I'd give him nothing.

Just a correction.

I posted earlier that all bills in Quebec have the dollar sign before the amount just like in the US.

The ones that were in my wallet at the time were all like that.

Actually not the case, I took another look at all the ones I have right now, about half have them before and half after and some have them before in the individual amount and then at the end for the total.

At least our numbers are the same ( for now).

Never really paid that much attention.

You learn things from the strangest places.