Crown Grill

Imnluck

I am just curious. We were on the Ruby last week. I called the dine line to make reservations for Crown Grill the first morning of the cruise. They told me they were booked all week. The only openings were after 9 pm. We were so disappointed. About an hour later we were passing by the restaurant and I figured I would go in and beg for mercy. LOL they gave me a 7 pm reservation with no issue! He asked if we wanted other nights as well. It never seemed anywhere near full all week.

Why such a disconnect between the dine line and the restaurant??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because the dine line was told to fill the late times first. Sometimes they push the first half hour and the later hours.

Thanks! That seems like they would lose a lot of money. It never seemed full! Oh well I'm glad I stopped in, it was a fun, delicious experience. Our waiter was great.

When we were on Emerald last year, all specialty restaurants were booked. Filled with Princess corporate execs and staff on a business/incentive prize cruise. If I had known, I would have booked a different cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm just back from the Sun Princess, around New Zealand.

For Sterling Steakhouse, on the first afternoon, the Dine Line said that Sterling was booked for the entire cruise, 13 days. But they also said that if you just come, they will accommodate you. I did this at 8pm, and I had no trouble being seated. The food was fine. It was just puzzling, about the reservations.

I had no problem eating at Kai Seafood, with no reservations. The salmon sushi and the sashimi trio were fantastic:)

I didn't bother with Share, but it seemed to have plenty of open tables each night.

When we were on Emerald last year, all specialty restaurants were booked. Filled with Princess corporate execs and staff on a business/incentive prize cruise. If I had known, I would have booked a different cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thats not right. Shouldnt paying customers come first?

Thanks! That seems like they would lose a lot of money. It never seemed full! Oh well I'm glad I stopped in, it was a fun, delicious experience. Our waiter was great.

Was your waiter Froderick by chance? On our three day repo last month we booked Crown Grill each evening just to spend time with our friend, and in our opinion, one of the best waiters in the fleet.

We have never used the "Dine Line"! We always just check in at the restaurants that we want to dine in and make our reservations in person! Never been turned away as being "Full" for any of the times/dates that we wanted!

As for this issue, while I would be upset, I can understand it somewhat! The staff (working people not the executives) deserve their minimal rewards. However, half of the days should be open to the cruisers from which they make their living!

Just Mike

We were on the 10/4/16 sailing of the Ruby. Called dine line as soon as we got to our stateroom after embarking (11:45). Made reservations at the Crown Grill for the last night of the cruise for 6:30. No problem. The grill only had 2 other tables filled when we were there.

We have never used the "Dine Line"! We always just check in at the restaurants that we want to dine in and make our reservations in person! Never been turned away as being "Full" for any of the times/dates that we wanted!

Just Mike

I'm with you Mike I never use the dine line and always book in person.

Was your waiter Froderick by chance? On our three day repo last month we booked Crown Grill each evening just to spend time with our friend, and in our opinion, one of the best waiters in the fleet.

Yes! I dined with Froderick twice, last March, on the Ruby. A great waiter and a great person. He is able to handle several tables at a time with aplomb.

He's the best!

First time we went directly to the restaurant upon embarkation, were told to use the dine line and would not take our reservation. We called the dine line and nothing was available until after 8pm. We reluctantly took it, showed up at the designated time and our reservation was not on the book. They seated us anyway but not without making us feel we made an error.

This exact thing happened on a following cruise. Called dine line, made reservation, showed up and again our name was not on the book.

Third time we show up at the restaurant on the day of embarkation and make a reservation for the same evening yet nothing available until after 8. At least this time our name was on the book as we watched him write it in.

Since then we go directly to the restaurant and make the reservation as soon as we board the ship. We still are never successful with getting a reservation before 8 p.m. even when we are some of the very earliest boarding the ship. It's a minor frustration but all works out regardless.

On the Transatlantic on Regal this year we tried to book the steakhouse for the next evening but were told it was full. So that evening we ate in the buffet and noticed the waiter was wearing the steakhouse uniform, so we asked him why he was working the buffet and he said the steakhouse hardly had any diners so they sent him to the buffet.

Princess seem to try to manipulate passengers these days, nothing is straightforward and transparently honest like it used to be.

I can't see how on this occasion it benefits their profits though.

We always go to the Crown Grill on day one shortly after boarding and have never had a problem getting the times we've requested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

We always go to the Crown Grill on day one shortly after boarding and have never had a problem getting the times we've requested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of you who get the time you requested, was it a request 8pm or later?