Warning - do not sail Celebrity with young children

Thorpeys

It's obviously my opinion...and the OP's given the numerous complaints of things that are well known and available should she have asked before taking this cruise. If you come here and complain about your kids' experience in a club or on a ship in the same context, I will absolutely repeat the same message to you as well.

I've been on this board since Cruise Critic's inception and this is the first time I have ever seen a post or thread that Celebrity's kids programs were not safe so these complaints are not well known. H

It is your opinion but have you ever taken a child on a Celebrity cruise. I have on numerous occasions over the years taken my children since they were 5 and7 years old and their programs are extremely good and safe. I can also say that one of my kids had learning disabilities and was treated wonderfully on Celebrity ships.

The message you are saying is don't sail on Celebrity with your kids but I have no experience to explain why I am saying that except that Celebrity ships are designed for adults which is totally ludicrous. If Celebrity didn't cater to families they wouldn't be around as a cruise line since they almost folded in the 90s.

Edited by dkjretired

I've been on this board since Cruise Critic's inception and this is the first time I have ever seen a post or thread that Celebrity's kids programs were not safe so these complaints are not well known. H

It is your opinion but have you ever taken a child on a Celebrity cruise. I have on numerous occasions over the years taken my children since they were 5 and7 years old and their programs are extremely good and safe. I can also say that one of my kids had learning disabilities and was treated wonderfully on Celebrity ships.

The message you are saying is don't sail on Celebrity with your kids but I have no experience to explain why I am saying that except that Celebrity ships are designed for adults which is totally ludicrous. If Celebrity didn't cater to families they wouldn't be around as a cruise line since they almost folded in the 90s.

In our young niece's opinion, X is boring and for adults. Our our teen nephew's opinion, X is 'lame' and there is 'nothing to do.' The young ones prefer Disney or RC and the older ones prefer RC. When there are family cruises, that is where we sail. My DH and I sail on X when we sail alone or for adult only cruises.

The number of children per adult does not seem out of line. Also when one considers that the person doing the monitoring has very rapid access to security, and medical, as well as the presence of closed circuit camera's throughout the ship I would consider the staffing and security to be reasonable.

Well, maybe the families with young children should consider other types of vacations such as a family friendly resort instead of a cruiseline.

I wonder how the other patrons of the Martini Bar or Sky Lounge felt with children of 4 and 5 years old playing with Legos at the bar while their parents were drinking martinis.

That's what I was wondering, too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whilst I can understand some your frustrations with the fun club, although reading through it you seem to be letting it spoil your trip which the constant haranguing of the staff.

The Martini and Sky Lounge are definitely not the place for your children to be playing with lego.

I am not a Ogre or child hating but if these bars are open at the time, for adults to relax and have a drink preferably it should be without children playing or even in there at all.

Call me old fashioned (I am still in my 40s) but children don't belong around a bar/drinking environment.

I am sorry to say I also think there was an agenda (selfish one) choosing these places to sit and let your children play.

Agree with you

This is a long post as I feel those with children need to be fully informed.

To precis the concerns experienced are:

- dangerous ratio of staff to children

- unsecure children's facilities where a child can get out at any time

- Unwelcoming staff

- Children told on initial sign up they couldn't play

- Large age range together

- When going to help children get shoes on was told that parents weren't allowed inside, having previously never been told this despite doing so. Children then didn't receive help from staff member.

- Not secure pick up (no use of password)

We are currently on the Eclipse with our 4 and 5 year old children. We went on a 14 night cruise with P&O in March and our children absolutely loved the kids club and couldn't wait to get to the fun factory here on the Eclipse. We went to sign them up on the first day and were greeted by one member of staff. We were filling out the forms so the children got some toys out to play with as nothing was available to entertain them. They were quickly told that it was not time to play and was just open house for sign up. They promptly put the toys away and we left. Not a very warm and welcoming start. The Fun Factory area is not secure and children can get out without adult help in to the rest of the ship with open deck only being one level below.

They went for their first session the following day. My concerns began to increase. Again only one member of staff. The age ranges had been put together so it was 3-8year olds. The children seemed to have had a good time, saying they had played a Cars game on the X Box.

After a couple of sessions I asked a member of staff whether there was always just one adult. I counted atleast 11 children. She explained that yes that was normal. I explained that in the UK that wouldn't be acceptable or safe having just 1 adult in the room.

I went to guest relations to ask for a copy of their policies for the Fun Factory. I was initally told by a dissmissive member of guest relations that I'd need to ask the Fun Factory directly. A very helpful lady from guest relations then intervened and arranged an immediate appointment with the manager of the youth provision. Her name is Sarah in guest relations and I will specifically name her because she deserves credit as she was very responsive.

I went up to see the manager of the youth provision and explained my concerns re staffing ratio and a number of other concerns which are listed at the top of this post. She said that she was not allowed to give me any policies as they are company property. She told me the staffing ratio is 1 adult to every 15 children aged 3-5yrs. I again raised my concern and shock that only 1 adult was present with this many young children. When I asked what would happen should a child make an allegation about a member of staff I was told that the facility had cameras. This seems rather reactive than proactive. I also pointed out that if a child suddenly became unwell (asthma attack, epilepsy etc) that one adult would have to look after that one child meaning the remaining children would have no supervision. The youth manager said she would liaise with her manager in Miami re policies. I would not be letting my children access the provision as I deemed it unsafe.

After 48 hours I'd had no response so went to see the youth manager again. She explained that her manager in Miami had confirmed they were following all procedures correctly and I could have a copy of the ratios. I made it clear that I wanted to have a copy of Celebrity's safeguarding/child protection policy and as my children had/could access it I felt this should be available. I did not feel my concerns had been taken seriously and asked how to make an official complaint. The youth manager did not know and told me to ask guest relations.

By this point my children were playing Lego (which we had gone out and purchased ashore) and Uno in the martini bar or Sky Lounge (when available as this is often shut at peak times for 'private functions'). I do apologise to any guests we disturb but we are trying to be as discreet as possible but from talking to fellow passengers they are enjoying engaging with our children and having them around. Other passengers have been shocked when we have explained the situation and fully understanding of our situation and happily engage the children to keep them occupied. One couple said they had noiced more children than ever before around the ship, so I did explain that it might be because the Fun Factory might actually be the Not-So-Fun-Factory. They said they would make sure all their friends and family were aware not to take children on Celebrity.

I went to guest relations and again the unhelpful guest relations officer and the helpful one were present. The unhelpful one was well... unhelpful and the helpful one did her best. I asked how to make a formal complaint and apparently one was already logged by the youth manager! They both went and consulted with their manager the head of guest relations who was sat behind a screen. I asked to speak to him directly in the end and he came out to speak with me. I was told I could not have a copy of what had been logged as the complaint as it was information passed between departments but that it had been sent to Miami and head of youth provision for Celebrity wide was aware. I again asked for a copy of the safeguarding/child protection policy. Again no clear information about whether there even is one. We will wait and see if one ever appears.

I understand that this practice is acceptable within US policy, although find this horrifying but for a ship that sails out of Britain for the season you would have thought they would consider British policy and expectations. There appear to be plenty of staff in all other departments accept the children and youth provision.

The majority of the staff onboard (and most passengers) have been absolutely lovely with our children and much friendlier and warmer towards our children than the children's workers who aren't friendly and are cold and abrupt.

So, if you have got this far... if you are happy leaving your 3-5yr old child with 1 adult in a room with responsibility for 15 children with a door that your child can open then cruise Celebrity... if you wouldn't be happy with this... I strongly recommend choosing an alternative cruise line. I can only vouch for P&O's children's facilities which were absolutely excellent and extremely professional and safe.

I never in a million years thought I would say that I wished I was on a P&O cruise instead of Celebrity! I love the Celebrity brand and what it offers but if it doesn't provide safe children's facilities we will not be sailing Celebrity again. We all wished we could have got off the Eclipse and on to Ventura when we were docked in Gran Canaria together.

I wish I'd had this information prior to booking a Celebrity cruise as this has significantly negatively impacted on the enjoyment of our cruise. We all can't wait to get home and I have never felt like that on any of our 16 cruises before.

Since Celebrity is not known to be a "child Friendly" cruise line, why would you taken them on it?? There are so many other options out.. I'm just confused...

+1

People on here openly recommending not to take your kids on Celebrity as they prefer not to sail with kids? Where do you get off?!

They advertise and market for families and kids club facilities so it's not unreasonable to expect those services to deliver no different to any other service onboard.

But to the OP, I'm surprised based on your knowledge and concerns that you had not better investigated these prior to sailing.

Personally my kids started using kids club a little older (7yo) and have loved every visit. My daughter has cried having to leave her wonderful carers at the end of the cruise. So seems a very different experience to what you've encountered.

I am at a loss, as to where you have viewed the commercials, where CELEBRITY is marketing for the children and family units.. I have NEVER seen one.. I HAVE seen several about couples and relaxation..

We who have kids, love them, but on vacation, I don't want to have to deal with kids from someone else, even if I bring mine.. OP was out of line, and probably should have found another location for the legos.. There are plenty.. I know... :rolleyes:

Honestly, and politely, that makes it even worse. What you are saying is that you commandeered between 3 and 4 seats at a bar while no one was taking advantage of what a bar is intended to be used for. Knowing how busy the Martini Bar is on every cruise we have taken, I would find it very rare that adults who wanted to have a drink would not be without seating.

Call me curmudgeon or whatever you like, but sailing during non-holiday (US definition of holiday) periods I prefer to not have to share my space with young children.

First of all, the Martini bar is closed during the day and people actually play cards at the table. You should know this if you sail Celebrity frequently and are as apparently fond of the martini bar as your post implies. Also, it seems oddly offensive that this was what you took away from her post. Not the concern for young child safety on the ship...but that they could possibly be interfering with someone's midday drunk.

Edited by Fish Lover

t - I Am sorry your experience with the Fun Factory was met with less than your expectations compared to your other sailings. Yet, many have never thought of X as being a great line on certain sailings for children at the age of yours.

Here in the U.S. there are sailings which specifically tout the children programs on certain sailings, of which I would hope the activities deliver.

I Am sure others who have had good or poor experiences with this will chime in shortly.

P & O may be the best line for you and the children going forward, or possibly Disney if they have sailings from ports which are convenient for you.

bon voyage

I'm fairly certain the OP has already figured it out for herself that Celebrity may not be the best cruise line for them. The point is that she felt strongly there is a safety issue and she is alerting other members of cruise critic to the issue.

Now I feel she probably went a bit overboard with trying to change things while on board, however her points are valid. I can not imagine how 1 staff person for any group of kids under 12 is acceptable. The comparison to a school is not valid because first there are frequently teacher's aids and second there are always immediate alternatives for someone else to watch the group in the event of an emergency with one child.

Parents have got to understand that they need to exercise the same caution as they would at home. That includes checking out the staff and facilities and policies before sailing. That also means not allowing your children (even teenagers) to run around unsupervised on the ship. You do not know the staff or passengers and there are plenty of places for a child to become injured or have injury done to him/her on a ship full of strangers.

Why would parents put other passengers and their children thru this. Not all passengers want children running amuck because they have nothing better to do and I am sure they are bored because again they have nothing better to do.

Of all places you had to pick the Martini Bar? Why? It is crowded enough as it is and now you have to put little ones in there. What were you thinking? There are many other suitable places. The library would have been way better, the pool deck or Oceanview Cafe to name just a few. I find your choice to go to the Martini Bar amusing since you say you weren't drinking. What if someone became a little tipsy and fell on one of your children? Who would you then blame? Pick a more kid friendly cruise line next time for the sake of your kids.

I am sorry but I've had a long day and may be a bit tipsy (not due to alcohol right now) but this just made me laugh so hard! In fact I laughed out loud and am explaining to my husband. The thought of a Martini patron falling off on top of a child is funny to me. Not if the child got hurt of course.

OP, thank you for your information. As a grandparent who frequently cruises on Celebrity, I was unaware of some of the issues you raise. Good to know when planning family cruises.

While I have no problem with the ratio per se, having been a Scout leader and having coached a number of sports with little or no parental assistance, in today's climate I would have thought that there would be a minimum requirement for two staff members present. I regularly take my 7 year old grandson to his hockey practises and often stay in the locker room until a second coach arrives as the coaches are not allowed to be alone with the players. That is pretty much the norm in youth-oriented activities these days, so I can understand your surprise. Yes, maybe you should have asked the question before booking, but some things we take for granted. Alas, we're sometimes wrong.

Ignore the dreck from the critics who would prefer to have all Celebrity ships declared child-free zones!

Edited by Fouremco

I am at a loss, as to where you have viewed the commercials, where CELEBRITY is marketing for the children and family units.. I have NEVER seen one.. I HAVE seen several about couples and relaxation..

We who have kids, love them, but on vacation, I don't want to have to deal with kids from someone else, even if I bring mine.. OP was out of line, and probably should have found another location for the legos.. There are plenty.. I know... :rolleyes:

Maybe not an advertising campaign per se..but check their brochure and web page. Quite a lot of info dedicated to family cruising and kids activities.

Don't see it spelt out anywhere that its and 'adults only' cruise line as many here intimate it is.

Don't get me wrong, am not suggesting they are purely focussed on the family market like a Disney or even RCI, but to go the other way and suggest they are not equipped to cater or welcome families onboard is, well just as ignorant as others suggesting that people in scooters should not cruise because the take up too much space in elevators. [emoji33]

Sorry some opinions posted here and elsewhere on cruise critic just show such an intolerance of others it amazes me!

I do have to agree with the original poster. Celebrity is the WORST line to sail with children. I have done a number of cruises with family and would never consider a Celebrity Cruise with small children.

WORST, have you ever sailed with children on a Celebrity Cruise, I doubt it very much. Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I along with hundreds on this board over the do not agree with your uneducated opinion.

Because of my voluntary activities I have under gone training in Safeguarding children and Young People.

The ratio of adults to children may be OK, but in todays world what is not OK is for children to only be in the care of one adult, even if there are cameras. It is easy to groom a child in a way that cameras cannot see like arranging to meet after the club.

This news article is a salutory lesson for parents and cruise lines

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2132699/Cruise-ship-horror-Cunard-worker-admits-carrying-sex-attacks-13-boys-working-children-s-supervisor.html

I'm a registered early childcare educator. The ratio for school aged children (4 and up) is 1:15. That's perfectly normal here, and if they are in a camp or organized activity the ratio can go higher at the beginning or end of the day.

I understand your concern, but just because things are done differently in your country doesn't mean that the situation is unsafe. As for children being able to escape, the button for the door is located behind the desk, and the desk is usually manned by an additional staff member not currently in program, so it's not like a child can just go get themselves out easily.

I think you are overreacting. And if you wanted your children to play with Lego, then keep them in your stateroom. Why do you need to monopolize a lounge if you're not even having a drink?

I just got back from Summit where my 7 year old was in the Fun Factory. As a teacher myself (and with a child who has allergies), I wasn't concerned for his safety at all. They issued me a pager in case there were any issues.

I'm a registered early childcare educator. The ratio for school aged children (4 and up) is 1:15. That's perfectly normal here, and if they are in a camp or organized activity the ratio can go higher at the beginning or end of the day.

I understand your concern, but just because things are done differently in your country doesn't mean that the situation is unsafe. As for children being able to escape, the button for the door is located behind the desk, and the desk is usually manned by an additional staff member not currently in program, so it's not like a child can just go get themselves out easily.

I think you are overreacting. And if you wanted your children to play with Lego, then keep them in your stateroom. Why do you need to monopolize a lounge if you're not even having a drink?

I just got back from Summit where my 7 year old was in the Fun Factory. As a teacher myself (and with a child who has allergies), I wasn't concerned for his safety at all. They issued me a pager in case there were any issues.

Are you allowed also to be in a group of children with no other adult present?

If so that is not only unsafe for the child it is also unsafe for the adult.

WORST, have you ever sailed with children on a Celebrity Cruise, I doubt it very much. Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I along with hundreds on this board over the do not agree with your uneducated opinion.

It is obvious that you not a helicopter parent. That's a compliment. :)

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

I have never seen a camp group so small that there are not at least two adults or an adult counselor and almost-adult CIT. Its not just about the ratio. Celebrity has a decent program for kids in my opinion, but it certainly isn't the best by far. For heaven sake, the average age for the trips I've gone on for the past 5 years has been 60+. The kids that are on board though have never been a problem.

To the posters that suggest kids should not be welcome or should be relegated to their stateroom are just exposing themselves as being self-centered, self-indulgent, and self-entitled. Not people I even want to sail with under any circumstances.

Are you allowed also to be in a group of children with no other adult present?

If so that is not only unsafe for the child it is also unsafe for the adult.

Absolutely. Other childcare providers are only a shout away. There are several rooms with different age groups of children and different ratios, plus a supervisor in the office. The children are perfectly safe.

It's close to the same setup in the Fun Factory. And I don't have a phone/pager, nor is there a security camera monitoring me :P

I feel bad the OP's cruise isn't what they thought it would be. People spend a lot of money for these cruises and you hate to see it ruined, regardless of who's issue it is. There aren't that many vacations with the kids so you cherish each one.

I would never tell anyone not to cruise Celebrity with kids. I wouldn't do it but to each his own. Actually the reason we cruise Celebrity when there is just the 2 of us is because of the lack of kids. We are fortunate to travel when most kids are in school. When we cruise with family it is RCCL or Carnival as there is so much more to keep them entertained outside of the kids club.

enjoy

I do have to agree with the original poster. Celebrity is the WORST line to sail with children. I have done a number of cruises with family and would never consider a Celebrity Cruise with small children.

Hmmm... I might vote for Seabourn as the WORST?

If X wants to do families, great. I like X cruises and hope to start taking our kids on them in a few years.

If X doesn't want to do families, also great. But, don't offer a kids club. Make it clear that there is NOTHING TO DO ON BOARD FOR KIDS and then hopefully, they won't come.

Everyone suggests RCCL and Disney for kids. Not everyone loves the gigantonormous RCCL ships (OK admittedly not all huge, but...) and the RCCL experience. Disney, yes, OK have done two with our kids... but again, not a lot of great adult experiences there and cost through the roof. We need a cruise line maybe aimed at adults but that can also handle (limited) # of children?