Is the Navigator bad or is Rccl bad

antsp

woohoo ---a New Yorker speaks up!!! I am boarding Navigator in three days...and I already KNOW I am going to have an awesome cruise!!!

THANK YOU! A cruise is only as good as you want it to be...Myself, I take each cruise as an exciting adventure, never expecting anything, and I am never disappointed. We have sailed on both RCCL and Celebrity and every cruise (we've taken quite a few) has been great...We are going to sail on the Navigator in January and I am so looking forward to being on the ship :)

I wondered if there were a lot of staff getting off after our cruise, so they were just worn down. Our cabin attendant left the ship in Boston and we had another for the remainder.

So now I'm wondering, did all the kids and the OP and some others that were unhappy just break Navigator? And they were trying to recover during our cruise? :D

I think you maybe on to something. We were on the same cruise that you were on and I could not figure out why we had such a different experience from most people. For us, this was a truly magical cruise if you discount the immigration fiasco. I think you just provided an explanation. Most of the crew members we interacted with had just returned from vacation.

Corinna

We just came off a B2B. I did not notice any problems with cleaning. A few spots on the carpet here and there where something must have been spilled. Our room was very clean. Food is very subjective. We got what we expected from the Windjammer. Several times took food from the Windjammer back to the Solarium pool and by the time we got there, some was cold but that is my fault not the fault of staff. MDR food was good. Even on sea days the menu changed for lunch. Chops was very good. Giovannis OK. I tried the gnocchi which was highly rated and I found it OK. DH had crab ravioli and was to die for. On our second week (5 days really) there were a bazillion kids and those in the terminal checking in said the line for new cruisers (not checking in at Gold and above) was very very long. Based from that I assume many were either from other cruise lines or new to cruising. Nearly every inside room on our part of the floor had plates and plates of food from room service sitting. They were there for some time but I don't blame the crew. There were far more plates than I have ever seen on our other cruises and it takes a while to get all that picked up.

There were some embarkation and debarkation problems on both cruises. We were placed at the end of the docks in a temporary tent. I heard that one of the other ships was not working correctly and there was no place to put us. Because it was a temporary, all pax had to get off through the tents and once everyone was off, had to prepare to take us on. The wireless was slooooow so it took some time to check in. That is beyond RCCL's control. For our next leg, we were supposed to meet in the Star Lounge at 0930. Everyone there was on time. Well almost everyone. There were supposed to be 86 of us and one couple was unaccounted for. Since the ship must have a zero count, they spent considerable time to find the missing people. We eventually cleared customs around noon. Did it ruin my cruise? NO! Nothing to get upset over. Sometimes stuff just happens and you need to go with the flow.

I am really surprised on how several key aspect with RCCL, seem to be in continual decline:

Dining

1. Room service wait was over 1 1/2 hours, with extremely poor/cold food served. The "honey chicken strips" is now one small little patty. The burger, is now one small patty. Everything else, including deserts, truly bad.

2. The buffet menu has been downgraded by corporate (spoke to buffet manager) and the food quality lowered; as well as there has been a removal of all Indian and most Asian foods.

3. The main dining room has seen a reduction in food quality as well. The Gala menu (5 night cruise) has been eliminated as well as the following: all steak, from the menu, rack of lamb, most high-end fish, lobster, quality deserts, an appetizer with lunch, the 1/2 pound Royal Burger (now small like McDonald's), etc., etc., etc.

Many guests such as myself, would go down to promenade to bring back food, rather than use room-service.

General Observations

Other than the ships themselves, there is very little WOW left, as Royal's management has managed to squeeze out any quality, of of the cruise experience. Employees and ship management seem unhappy and I can understand why!

I am close to Diamond Plus, afterword I will really give Cunard, Holland, & Princess a good go! There is just nothing special left on Royal ships, as everything is been run into the ground by been counters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by gkbiiii

For the last few years all cruise lines have been doing more and more with less personnel and cutting costs from all other sources. Not only is RCCL not immune to these situations but has adopted them dramatically. People who are infrequent cruisers may not yet see this but they will soon. Frequent "floaters" has seen a marked change in their cruise experience and most often not for the better. Although RCCL cruising still offers a good vacation, it often varies from ship to ship. As others have mentioned, food offerings and service have suffered in the MDR to the point that tables have numerous empties and the the Windjammer is very busy. The stateroom attendants have been given additional cabins to care for so RCCL can eliminate some people and this pressure is now evident. Where at one time RCCL offered well known and respected performers, they now use much cheaper and what some refer to as Las Vegas lounge acts including jugglers/magicians/comedians and singers. They are usually OK but not the level of satisfaction as before. Perhaps as significant is the fact that RCCL often does not enforce its own rules ( ie: chair hogs/unruly passengers especially groups of youth/and balcony smoking).

Hi All!

I am a total newbie and will be cruising for the first time this coming March. Rest assured, I do read all reviews I can, good and bad. I read trip reports as well, looking for common themes. This is primarily to create an expectation and make decisions to alleviate any potential negatives prior to boarding. Is there something I can pack? An alternate restaurant than MDR I may prefer for a potential meal on a particular night? Should I get the drink package? The internet package? Do I need trip insurance? How about some premium dining nights?

All positive and negative information helps me greatly with these and other decisions. If I don't focus on a single thread, I get a balanced view of how to adjust my expectations.

I have to say that my own "unscientific" research has led me to conclude that there are indeed some trends that are disappointing. There are also rumors I am watching...such as a fleet wide menu for the MDR in 2017. I haven't been "put off" by negativity and I haven't quite bought into the "you will love cruising and become addicted" attitude either. I will prepare for the hiccups and make up my own mind when the time comes.

I will have NO status so this should make for an interesting experience. I have traveled widely but generally stayed put in my destination city. I'm looking for new destinations and thought cruising might be a nice way to do that.

To the OP and others, your negative posts are informative to this newbie.

Apparently it's bad enough to cause my wife to write an 11 page letter this afternoon. :eek: BTW, she writes research papers for Congress when she's not cruising.

Unfortunately, she just gave it to guest services and did not keep a copy. :(

She did request someone in management acknowledge it. ;)

No word on that yet. :rolleyes:

Apparently it's bad enough to cause my wife to write an 11 page letter this afternoon. :eek: BTW, she writes research papers for Congress when she's not cruising.

Oh my! I know ships change from year to year, and even week to week with staff and crew turnover, but the reports from the Navigator blow my mind. We were on her in April 2014from Galveston, and thought the ship was great. I'm sad to read the current reports.[emoji22]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on B2B 11/27 and 12/4. While it wasn't a horrible cruise by any sorts, there were a lot of things that I'm used to seeing RCCL Do Better.

I didn't notice the ship dirty at all, or any thing as bad as the OP stated - but it also doesn't sound like I was on his cruise.

Here is what I did notice. Amenities - had to go to Loyalty almost every day to get them delivered. Took several tries on both cruises.

Senior Officers not viable at all. No "extras" as you would expect on other ships for Top Tier cruisers.

Of course, I was part of the boarding mishap involving the tent on 11/27. There was minimal communication from the pier agents outside, and each one was giving a different answer. This just added to the frustration of guests when they got on the ship. The first night in the Diamond Club there was no overflow lounge open for 450+ Diamond and above guests.

My stateroom attendant was great, he did a fantastic job with my stateroom.

I did notice the menus were not the normal menus (no lobster night on the 7 day). I usually eat in the Windjammer each night, and aside from a few changes almost everything was the same each night.

Again, the cruise wasn't bad in my opinion... just lacking something.

And I do know on the current cruise (The one where I got off the day it started) there are over 700 Diamond and Above guests - so I hope things were figured out for this one.

On Serenade, I know many key crew members were taking off for the holidays. We also did the Galley Tour and the Sous Chef said he had more than 50 job openings and fleet wide he gave us a huge number of open positions. He made a comment to the effect that young people just are not hungry for a job.

I wonder with staff/crew shortages and experienced crew taking off for the holidays has an effect on cruises.

It will be interesting to get some details. We have not been on Navigator in a couple of years but our last cruise on the ship was one of the best cruises that we ever had.

Lots of needy upper tier C&A members on this time of year.

As I recall, over 700 Diamond and higher on the current Navigator sailing. Plus the LA quit and the concierge is picking up some of those duties.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by John&LaLa

As I recall, over 700 Diamond and higher on the current Navigator sailing. Plus the LA quit and the concierge is picking up some of those duties.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

You think Biker has a picture of a needy upper tier cruiser?

I am really surprised on how several key aspect with RCCL, seem to be in continual decline:

Sorry but the only real surprise is that you still sail with Royal.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42620649&postcount=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45034086&postcount=232

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45123650&postcount=86

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45186982&postcount=13

etc.

etc.

etc.

It will be interesting to get some details. We have not been on Navigator in a couple of years but our last cruise on the ship was one of the best cruises that we ever had.

As far as I can tell her main issues were as follows

Her TV won't work, turns on intermittently in middle of night and the onboard account features don't work. Temp solution was just to unplug it.

Front desk will not answer the phone, they do however have lovely Christmas music playing on hold.

MDR food is really lacking and poorly served. Tried to go with classic menu, Waiter said they could not add cheese to the sliders, and there is no dipping sauce for the chicken fingers. :confused: It was the lack of trying to help her find something to eat that she was most upset with. Lots of 'No, we can't do that' Totally different than her recent Jewel cruise.

Other issues had to do with the lack of a LA and some of the perks, they are most likely trivial to most people. You know, Third World Problems ;)

As far as I can tell her main issues were as follows

Her TV won't work, turns on intermittently in middle of night and the onboard account features don't work. Temp solution was just to unplug it.

Front desk will not answer the phone, they do however have lovely Christmas music playing on hold.

MDR food is really lacking and poorly served. Tried to go with classic menu, Waiter said they could not add cheese to the sliders, and there is no dipping sauce for the chicken fingers. :confused: It was the lack of trying to help her find something to eat that she was most upset with. Lots of 'No, we can't do that' Totally different than her recent Jewel cruise.

Other issues had to do with the lack of a LA and some of the perks, they are most likely trivial to most people. You know, Third World Problems ;)

Not a good idea to get Bella's Mommy all upset....

I tell it like it is: I have booked the Pullmantur Zenith, in their Royal Suite, so I will checkout another Royal Brand. Soon I will try Holland America & Cunard. Another try on MSC is on the horizon.

Everything I said about my recent cruise (others as well) is true, based on my own personal experiences and those whom I talked with.

[quote name=

Other issues had to do with the lack of a LA and some of the perks' date=' they are most likely trivial to most people. You know, Third World Problems ;)[/quote]

Or shouldn't that be lower status problems? :D

As far as "needy", this was the first cruise I have ever seen Pinnacles wearing name tags. One was clearly exasperated at one bar that was very busy. He kept waving his gold card trying to get service first. This is also the first time anyone asked my status. I can't fathom why my lowly steerage status mattered to the Diamond. If you don't see me in the Diamond lounge or the CL, clearly I'm in steerage.

I guess I'm not rich enough to enjoy the "finer" life. I have never been to Ruth's Chris so Chops seems pretty good to me (I have been to the Stockyards in Nashville and the Golden Steer in Vegas). I also have realistic expectations. Cooking meals for 3,500+ to be served nearly simultaneously is a difficult task. Perhaps those that don't like the service on RCCL should try a different line. I never thought Cunard was on par with Princess. Perhaps Azumara? Regent? Smaller vessels can cater better with less pax count. And with five figures per person, they can afford to give better service.

I tell it like it is: I have booked the Pullmantur Zenith, in their Royal Suite, so I will checkout another Royal Brand. Soon I will try Holland America & Cunard. Another try on MSC is on the horizon.

Everything I said about my recent cruise (others as well) is true, based on my own personal experiences and those whom I talked with.

Hopefully, Zenith is in better condition that Empress was when she returned from there to RCI.