Oceania Dress Code Nuances/Interpretations

njhorseman

We're experienced cruisers...more than 50 cruises on 8 different cruise lines, taking our first Oceania cruise, on the Insignia, in January.

We're well aware of the fact that shorts (and certain other items of clothing that we wouldn't be wearing regardless) aren't permitted in the dining room and specialty restaurants at dinner. Our questions are:

Are shorts permitted in the Terrace Cafe at all meals?

Are shorts permitted in the dining room at breakfast and lunch?

Thanks.

We're experienced cruisers...more than 50 cruises on 8 different cruise lines, taking our first Oceania cruise, on the Insignia, in January.

We're well aware of the fact that shorts (and certain other items of clothing that we wouldn't be wearing regardless) aren't permitted in the dining room and specialty restaurants at dinner. Our questions are:

Are shorts permitted in the Terrace Cafe at all meals?

Are shorts permitted in the dining room at breakfast and lunch?

Thanks.

Yes to all.

The dress code wording changes depending on where you read it :)

for the Terrace dress shorts seem to be fine not those baggie surfer ones

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

The dress code wording changes depending on where you read it :)

for the Terrace dress shorts seem to be fine not those baggie surfer ones

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Thanks for your reply.

I read the FAQ, and that's why I asked the question. The FAQ could easily be interpreted as not permitting shorts in the Terrace Cafe, as it says "For evening dining...", which does not exclude Terrace Cafe from the rule...after all you are dining there in the evening.

From practical experience I also know it's not uncommon for dress codes as presented on a cruise line's website to be different than how the dress code is actually enforced or interpreted on board. In fact I've seen the dress code vary by ship and itinerary on the same cruise line. I've been on Bermuda cruises where "Bermuda shorts" were permitted in dining venues that would normally not allow shorts on other itineraries. I put "Bermuda shorts" in quotes because the practical effect was to permit almost any type of shorts. It was likely the crew had no idea what wearing traditional Bermuda shorts normally entails. True Bermuda shorts are usually in pastel shades, and are traditionally worn with over-the-calf socks and a blazer.

To make a long story short (pun intended), I was looking for how the dress code is interpreted and enforced in practice, not what's written in the FAQ.

I have been on the Nautica and Regatta several times. Shorts were never allowed in the Grand Dining Room at any time. I specifically asked the Maitre D' in the GDR on the Regatta if I could wear shorts to lunch on a sea day and he said no.

I have been on the Nautica and Regatta several times. Shorts were never allowed in the Grand Dining Room at any time. I specifically asked the Maitre D' in the GDR on the Regatta if I could wear shorts to lunch on a sea day and he said no.

I saw them in the main dining room at lunch.

Not correct, at least in my experience.

Agree. Plenty of shorts seen in gdr at breakfast and lunch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me too. Have worn shorts in GDR for lunch. Nothing wrong with them. Do have a problem with shorts for dinner no matter the venue, except your cabin.

On our last Oceania cruise which was also our first, we sailed on the Marina to French Polynesia. The weather was extremely warm and humid. One of our port days had a scheduled arrival of noon. There was a brunch buffet set up in the MDR and after eating we had a shore excursion booked. My husband wanted to wear shorts to brunch so we'd be ready to leave the ship when we finished. I had also read that no shorts were allowed in the MDR at any time, so I called the front desk and the person who answered said that shorts were never allowed. So my husband put on his slacks. When we arrived for brunch, he was the only man in pants. Everyone else was in shorts. So much for following the rules:).

I have worn shorts to breakfast & lunch in the GDR many times ...no problem

On our last Oceania cruise which was also our first, we sailed on the Marina to French Polynesia. The weather was extremely warm and humid. One of our port days had a scheduled arrival of noon. There was a brunch buffet set up in the MDR and after eating we had a shore excursion booked. My husband wanted to wear shorts to brunch so we'd be ready to leave the ship when we finished. I had also read that no shorts were allowed in the MDR at any time, so I called the front desk and the person who answered said that shorts were never allowed. So my husband put on his slacks. When we arrived for brunch, he was the only man in pants. Everyone else was in shorts. So much for following the rules:).

Seems like a lot of us wear shorts in MDR for breakfast and lunch. Do not know what would happen if we show up like that for dinner but It is not the way I would dress even if I could. Maybe they would allow someone in but I would not be the one to find out. :):):)

I had also read that no shorts were allowed in the MDR at any time, so I called the front desk and the person who answered said that shorts were never allowed. So my husband put on his slacks. When we arrived for brunch, he was the only man in pants. Everyone else was in shorts. So much for following the rules:).

Just shows you the front desk may not know what the rules are for the GDR ;)

Since my 1st cruise on Oceania in 2004 shorts have been allowed in the GDR for breakfast & lunch

Dinner is a different matter

Do not know what would happen if we show up like that for dinner but It is not the way I would dress even if I could. Maybe they would allow someone in but I would not be the one to find out. :):):)

I am pretty sure you would be asked to change (or have dinner elsewhere).

They do draw the line somewhere - and this is definitely IT. :)

I have seen a lot on Oceania but have never seen shorts in the MDR for dinner (and hope I never do). In the Terrace it's OK.

Edited by Paulchili

I will tell you they enforce the ballcap policy in GDR. We just got off and one gentleman was very upset that he could not wear it. I also saw women at tea in Swimsuits with light covetous on, to each her own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I will tell you they enforce the ballcap policy in GDR. We just got off and one gentleman was very upset that he could not wear it. I also saw women at tea in Swimsuits with light covetous on, to each her own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Lol, wearing a covetous....

cov·et·ous

adjective

having or showing a great desire to possess something, typically something belonging to someone else.

One of the more hilarious auto corrects of the day!

Post via Ipad at your own risk-

I am pretty sure you would be asked to change (or have dinner elsewhere).

They do draw the line somewhere - and this is definitely IT. :)

I have seen a lot on Oceania but have never seen shorts in the MDR for dinner (and hope I never do). In the Terrace it's OK.

I would hope so.

on our last Oceania cruise in August a gentleman tried to go in to the cocktail party dressed in shorts(not dressy ones)....his wife had a nice dress and sandals on. Needless to say he was asked to go and change and he was furious....poor wife said "I told you " !!! A number of people clapped as he was turned away. The staff were very professional and polite in the manner in which they refused him admission.

on our last Oceania cruise in August a gentleman tried to go in to the cocktail party dressed in shorts(not dressy ones)....his wife had a nice dress and sandals on. Needless to say he was asked to go and change and he was furious....poor wife said "I told you " !!! A number of people clapped as he was turned away. The staff were very professional and polite in the manner in which they refused him admission.

Bravo to Oceania for enforcing their dress code - at least in this case!

We are on regatta right now, and yes- there was a man in Toscana wearing shorts, at dinner time. Nothing was said to him.

Also- there is a guy flying a drone around the pool deck

I don't think this should be allowed.

I will ask an officer , what the policy is on drones.

Sent from my iPad using Forums