Celebrity City Stay before Cruise (ROME)

Allana

We're booked onto the 31 July Best of West Med cruise on Reflection and looking to add a pre-cruise stay in Rome.

Celebrity have quoted us £847/person for this (two adults & one 10 year old), and that feels really expensive for a few days in Rome, even if we're staying at a very nice hotel! The description of what's included is very woolly, I can't work out if you get entry into attractions like the Vatican or if you just stare at them through a tour bus window!!

1. Has anyone bought a package like this before, is it worth the money?

2. If we booked rooms in the same hotel, would we be able to use Celebrity for transfers to the ship?

3. If we 'went it alone', can anyone recommend a reliable company for transfers & tours? Oh, and a hotel that will do a triple room!!

We're booked onto the 31 July Best of West Med cruise on Reflection and looking to add a pre-cruise stay in Rome.

Celebrity have quoted us £847/person for this (two adults & one 10 year old), and that feels really expensive for a few days in Rome, even if we're staying at a very nice hotel! The description of what's included is very woolly, I can't work out if you get entry into attractions like the Vatican or if you just stare at them through a tour bus window!!

1. Has anyone bought a package like this before, is it worth the money?

2. If we booked rooms in the same hotel, would we be able to use Celebrity for transfers to the ship?

3. If we 'went it alone', can anyone recommend a reliable company for transfers & tours? Oh, and a hotel that will do a triple room!!

Hi, a cab from FCO to any hotel in Rome will be about 55 Euro for all 3 of you, assuming you each have a bag, & it's actually really easy to get around Rome on your own, they have a great metro system. If you really want a guided tour, Rome In Limo is highly recommended on Trip Advisor.

here's a link to the Italian ports board, you'll find a great deal of info there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

We used "civitivecchia shuttle services" for the transfer from the hotel to the cruise ship (they drop you right outside the ship) and for the transfer back to airport after the cruise was finished.

I'd definitely recommend them. They get great reviews on tripadvisor.

It cost €75 from hotel to ship and €55 from ship to airport.

If it helps at all, we stayed at the Alberto Cesari hotel. I don't know if it has triple rooms but is a pleasant hotel with a roof terrace in a fantastic location for sightseeing.

Bought tickets for colosseum etc. online. That part can be a bit confusing - the Rome forums on tripadvisor have stickies on how to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't recommend doing a land tour with Celebrity. Having planned every land tour by myself except one, the quality and experiences have been so much better with me doing the land tours and ship tours.

We had an Alaskan tour experience with Celebrity that wasn't great; however, we got a super price for it. Of course, I would never do a land tour with Celebrity again, and that goes for their tours onboard too..we were herded like cattle to an animal reserve in the pouring rain, even though we all asked to go to the ship. That was the last straw for me, after being herded all over Alaska. You can do so much better with a little research and planning on your own. Not only can you get better prices, but you can stay off those darn bus loads of people, save time and be more comfortable.

Unless you are afraid to plan yourself, I would stay away from any tour that offers large bus rides, unless it comforts your mind. Believe me, I hate being herded like cattle. Plus, you will thank yourself, because you will feel more at ease during your travels. Planning teaches you so much about the places to which you are traveling...there are so many great hotels and tours mentioned on CC.

Edited by Lastdance

We cruised aboard the Silhouette this past September, France & Italy cruise. Also stayed at the Albergo Cesari hotel and would definitely recommend it and yes they have triple rooms (we had one). It's in a great location, you can walk to all of the main sites including the Vatican. We used Civitivecchia Cab Service which many people here recommend---they were great!

I definitely think going on your own is way more affordable. If you have any questions I would be happy to help.

We have priced pre and post cruise stays with Celebrity and other cruise lines in various places and in every case we found them to be expensive. They are priced per person, while hotels are generally priced per room. A Celebrity shuttle may be cost effective for a single person, but usually a taxi is cheaper for two or more.

Rome is easy to explore by yourself. We found Rick Steves guide to Mediterranean cruise ports to be very helpful and his web site has has guides to many of the main sites that can be downloaded to a phone or tablet.

Sheila

Agree that Rome is easy to do yourself. We stayed there pre-cruise a couple years ago. Took the cab from the airport to the hotel. Hotels of course are easy to book online anymore. Then we mostly walked, if you enjoy walking it's a very walkable city for most of the sites if you choose your hotel centrally. There is also a hop on/hop off bus we did one day to see the Vatican and outskirts of the city. We took the train to the cruise port. Was easy and inexpensive, but you just have to watch out for the gypsy-ies (true throughout the city). For that pp price for 4 people I feel pretty confident you can book a pre-cruise stay for yourselves for quite a bit less and then you can see what you want to see on your schedule.

This past spring we used romecabs for transfers and tours and were excellent. If you share cost with another couple on roll call will save you some money..

We also have used RomeCabs a number of times and agree with your assessment.

Also stayed at the Cesari and highly recommend it. They even arranged a cab from airport to hotel ( about 50 Euros). Great location, breakfast. You can also sign up,for small group tours for the Vatican, ruins, etc. much less expensive and smaller groups. Enjoy Rome.

We've done 2 2 night stays before a cruise with Celebrity in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them, staying at the Empire Palace Hotel. Flights and transfers were ok but we got to the ship very late on embarkation day.

If we were to do it again though we would most definitely use Rome Cabs and stay at the Duca D'Alba Hotel which is about a 10 minute walk max. from the Forum / Coliseum. There is a small taverna next door called Vecchia Roma which was worth visiting Rome for if you don't visit anything else! :)

My husband and I have just returned from the Equinox trans-Atlantic. We did the Celebrity City Stay in Barcelona beforehand and were delighted with it.

We were met by a car service at the airport and taken to the Renaissance Hotel, which was clean and neat and in a superb location just off the Passeig de Gracia. Breakfast was included every day.

We had an excellent tour guide---knowledgeable, good-humored, and very efficient---who walked us right past the long lines waiting to get into the Park Gueell and Sagrada Familia.

We were the only visitors at a small historic vineyard, where we saw the operations, toured the medieval castle and wine cellars, then had an excellent brunch with three kinds of wine. We had a special liqueur tasting at Montserrat. We had sumptuous private lunches both at Montserrat and at a restaurant in Barcelona situated in what used to be a private home.

We were delivered to the ship around noon and walked right on with no problem.

All the above was included in our $900 apiece. The 30 people in the group agreed that was a very fair price for the variety and quality of service we got. At every turn, someone was carrying our luggage, offering us information and tips, and generally making sure we had a good time.

We'd do another Celebrity City Stay in a heartbeat.

You are getting lots of good advice about arranging it yourself.

I did that this year am so glad that I did.

Not only cost less but so worth it to have our own schedule.

All I can add is PLEASE book your own timed tickets for the Vatican museums (Sistine Chapel) and the Colosseum if you would like to go there. As it was our first time in Rome they were our top 2 sights and we would not have waited in the long, long lines.

Enjoy Rome, we did.

You are getting lots of good advice about arranging it yourself.

I did that this year am so glad that I did.

Not only cost less but so worth it to have our own schedule.

All I can add is PLEASE book your own timed tickets for the Vatican museums (Sistine Chapel) and the Colosseum if you would like to go there. As it was our first time in Rome they were our top 2 sights and we would not have waited in the long, long lines.

Enjoy Rome, we did.

Second this advice. We pre-booked the colosseum and did a tour and was able to bypass the line.

Thank-you all for the fantastic advice! We will definitely sort out our own pre-cruise stay. I'll take a look at the Albergo Cesari. I've also been recommended the IQ, which seems to be pretty much the same as Premier Inn in the UK, I don't need much luxury if I'm going to be out all day sightseeing but a good bathroom for a restorative bath is a must!!

Would Romecabs / Rome in limo be able to accommodate large suitcases? We'd have two Samsonite hard cases most likely and a smaller one for our son... Both companies look really good and their prices are fantastic! I'm now looking at both for a private car tour of Florence/Pisa as they are an absolute bargain compared to Celebrity's similar private car shore excursions.

Once again, thank-you!! This board is amazing.

Allana also look at Hotel Artimede. They are within walking distance to most sites except the Vatican which you would need a taxi. Staff was most helpful. Loved our stay with them the end of September.

Thank-you all for the fantastic advice! We will definitely sort out our own pre-cruise stay. I'll take a look at the Albergo Cesari. I've also been recommended the IQ, which seems to be pretty much the same as Premier Inn in the UK, I don't need much luxury if I'm going to be out all day sightseeing but a good bathroom for a restorative bath is a must!!

Would Romecabs / Rome in limo be able to accommodate large suitcases? We'd have two Samsonite hard cases most likely and a smaller one for our son... Both companies look really good and their prices are fantastic! I'm now looking at both for a private car tour of Florence/Pisa as they are an absolute bargain compared to Celebrity's similar private car shore excursions.

Once again, thank-you!! This board is amazing.

Your best bet now is do research and ask questions over the Ports of Call/Europe/Italy forum.

BTW, I also recommend the Albergo Cesari. It was fine as a hotel (a little old in terms of the furnishings) with a wonderful rooftop terrace, which was a great place to have breakfast. The location was incredible. We walked everywhere, including to the Vatican.

Have a great time!

We've been to Rome several times, and applaud your decision to make your own arrangements. Rome is a very easy city to navigate--and Uber is a cheaper option than taxis. The city within the city walls is really quite small, and as others have said, quite walkable.

Also, as others have said, with the tour, you pay for the hotel twice--on a per person basis when the hotel charges for the room, not per head. Check out http://www.tripadvisor.com Under their "Trip Advisor" banner, you'll see a line of small print. The choice on the far right is "more." You'll get a pull-down menu. Pull down "forums." On the Rome forum, you'll find a plethora of information, and you can ask questions and get quick answers from people who either live in Rome or have been there often. You can find out about anything from how to navigate the subway to a good restaurant (that isn't too expensive or touristy) near The Forum.

Happy Planning!

Allana also look at Hotel Artimede. They are within walking distance to most sites except the Vatican which you would need a taxi. Staff was most helpful. Loved our stay with them the end of September.

We (my husband and 23yr daughter) also stayed at Hotel Artemide. We had a triple room. Not a large room but none of them are in Europe. The hotel was nice, the breakfast was very good and the location was great. We arranged a private tour in Rome and couldn't have been happier. The Vatican Museums were great but I really loved the Colisseum! Take the time inside to read the displays they have explaining everything.

We used Viator.com to book excursions. Fab and would use again. They do an early one for the Vatican and it was amazing.

Whatever hotel you book you have to try that restaurant we used as it was the BEST part of our holiday. Just so perfect ... real Italy. Words can't describe it and it was very cheap. 30 euros for 2 free regional starters, a main course and traditional dessert bottle of Pinot and bottle of water! The locals queued to get in. Perfect. I'd go back just to eat there again.

Check our review on Tripadvisor under our username Presto2 Vecchia Roma