Questionable service dog on the Westerdam

igraf

As for the areas assigned on the ship where the doggies are to do their business; it sort gives a whole new meaning to the term "poop deck"! :D

Um...actually...that IS the meaning of the term. Back in the old sailing days there was a section of deck on the stern of the ship that had a series of holes open to the sea below. This is where you went to do your business. I learned this from touring "Old Ironsides" in Boston.

Um...actually...that IS the meaning of the term. Back in the old sailing days there was a section of deck on the stern of the ship that had a series of holes open to the sea below. This is where you went to do your business. I learned this from touring "Old Ironsides" in Boston.

I think someone was having you on about the origin of the term. It actually comes from a French word that means stern: la poupe and traditionally refers to the deck that formed the roof of the cabin (e.g., captain's quarters) at the rear of the ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poop_deck

I think someone was having you on about the origin of the term. It actually comes from a French word that means stern: la poupe and traditionally refers to the deck that formed the roof of the cabin (e.g., captain's quarters) at the rear of the ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poop_deck

My french is a little rusty but the holes are real. I've actually seen them. Wikileaks aside,

No I'm not. I just refuse to enable cheaters to take a pet on a plane free or live in a restricted building and won't move to where there is a charge for keeping a dog. I won't lie for them. I have made the suggestion a few patients be allowed to keep a comfort dog but not the abusers. You must meet certain guidelines to need a comfort dog and most don't.

I'm an RN although not a psych and I would say signing false papers so people can take dogs on planes etc was outside our code of conduct and professionalism. So good for you

Our neighbour is a snowbird and winters in SC. They have a totally uncontrolled small pooch and she got papers from the Internet somewhere that allows her to have the dog as a "therapy" dog when they go to their condo down south where dogs aren't allowed. I told her it was disgusting and did a disservice to the wonderful service dogs who look after their owners so well She just laughed and thought I was being funny.

Terry

People lie. It's a fact of life. How many of those people pre boarding planes "because they need extra time" are truly needing that time or are just getting on the plane first to store their bags? Ever see all the wheelchairs with folks waiting for a plane to Florida? Ever notice the lack of all those wheelchairs at the destination? Ever see someone limping onto the plane, only to sprint off to get to their car? People who book HA rooms, not because they require it, but because it is the least expensive available, damned be those who actually need it.

What the person did to get the dog onboard is none of your concern. It was between the person and the cruise line. The cruise line allowed the dog, so get over it. When you are the one in charge of deciding, it's another thing.

People lie. It's a fact of life. How many of those people pre boarding planes "because they need extra time" are truly needing that time or are just getting on the plane first to store their bags? Ever see all the wheelchairs with folks waiting for a plane to Florida? Ever notice the lack of all those wheelchairs at the destination? Ever see someone limping onto the plane, only to sprint off to get to their car? People who book HA rooms, not because they require it, but because it is the least expensive available, damned be those who actually need it.

What the person did to get the dog onboard is none of your concern. It was between the person and the cruise line. The cruise line allowed the dog, so get over it. When you are the one in charge of deciding, it's another thing.

WRONG! If a cruise line knowingly allowed a non service animal (or more importantly did nothing about a destructive/disruptive/roaming animal) because they are scared of being sued it is fine to call out the owner and HAL

Their rights should not infringe upon my rights.

I have a motto "not my monkeys, not my circus" that works well...but sometimes while it is still not my monkeys it IS my circus.

Why would a 'Service Dog' require a stroller? I thought a service dog was a working dog?

According to the ADA FAQ's, a service dog is allowed to be in two places, only: on the floor, or in the owner's arms (for diabetes alert dogs for instance). Any "service dog" in a stroller is a fake.

I was on Ironsides quite a few years ago, and don't remember these, but they could be there. The term "poop deck" is from the french, as noted above.

Where you went to "do your business" was the "head". At the front of the ship, there were spars that projected out each side that the anchors were lashed to when underway. These were the "catheads". When nature called, you climbed out on the cathead, hung your legs over one side and your backside over the other. This became "using the head".

Wondering if HAL still has those "anger management" classes?

People lie. It's a fact of life. How many of those people pre boarding planes "because they need extra time" are truly needing that time or are just getting on the plane first to store their bags? Ever see all the wheelchairs with folks waiting for a plane to Florida? Ever notice the lack of all those wheelchairs at the destination? Ever see someone limping onto the plane, only to sprint off to get to their car?

I had to comment on this! We know a pilot for a major airline who called "some" of those people pre-boarding in their wheelchairs, Hallelujah people. They see them getting on in the wheelchair and jumping up, grabbing their bags and racing off the plane at the other end. Hallelujah, I'm healed!

For those who need help with pre-boarding, these folks are making others more cynical about the whole process, just like the fake service dogs. What is wrong with people???

Several times on Southwest flights I've seen the flight attendants tell those wheel chair/ pre board people to stay put until everyone else deplaned. "First one on, last one off" and "for your own safety " were some words I heard them use

It's happened about 3 flights now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry crusinpsychRN that you had to defend your stance here i.e. compassion and burnout.

Maybe you should have said " I'll sign off on ANY animal " and " heck I don't care, free air travel for all the Fidos in the world"

Then you could of been accused of being lazy, dishonest, and poor at your job [emoji15]

Sorry , again.

Thanks. This issue really makes me angry, people are so entitled and expect me to lie for them to get away with not paying for an airline passage for their dog or not pay a pet fee in an apartment! I'm also asked to excuse student debt, excuse people from taking the citizen test and on and on. Ask someone else because I won't do it unless you are psychotic and not doing well.

There was a woman with a small dog on a leash on Oosterdam this past week. The dog was straining at the leash, obviously not a service dog.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Several times on Southwest flights I've seen the flight attendants tell those wheel chair/ pre board people to stay put until everyone else deplaned. "First one on, last one off" and "for your own safety " were some words I heard them use

It's happened about 3 flights now.

Yep, our friend pilots for SWA. We flew them this month and saw 10 or 12 wheelchairs go on and about 3 come off. One man was pushed in a chair to the gate next to his wife, also in a wheelchair. Then after the attendant walked off, he got up, rearranged their carry on luggage and strolled off to the men's room. But he made sure he was pushed on board in his chair before the rest of us could board. I saw his wife limping off to the restroom after he went. She was the one who needed a wheelchair, not him!

I worked in Rehabilitation Medicine for much of my medical career, saw it all, BUT just PLEASE remember not is always as it looks.

I cruised with a friend who had significant nerve damage in her legs (post polio as a child issue). She could walk from the check in counter to the boarding gate just fine, although very slowly. HOWEVER, she could NOT also stand in line for the TSA checks and such. That extra 15 - 45 minutes were just too much. So, she used a wheelchair in the airport when boarding a plane. Getting off - she could walk the necessary distance too baggage claim, where there were seats nearby to sit in while I claimed all the luggage. She could also walk around the ship just fine - and if she got overly tired or experienced too much pain, she could sit for a few minutes - seats always nearby onboard. Now if someone saw her boarding and disembarking their report would sound like some of the comments above about folks gaming the system. In her case this would be so very wrong and unfair.

Yes, there are cheaters and I really dislike such behavior - it is not fair to anyone except the "cheating" individual and maybe their traveling companion. However, you cannot always tell what is real and what is "fake" just by looking.

To be honest dogs/cats don't bother me in restaurants or stores IF they are well behaved.

In Paris it seems like everyone in a cafe has their pet with them .. but the dogs are so nonchalant and quiet you wouldn't know they are there.

I don't think it's because they are better dogs but because they have better parent owners.

Saw quite a few cats on the Metro and lounging around in stores too.

Were the Metro cats confined or leashed? I would be terrified that mine would jump out of my arms and disappear.

Were the Metro cats confined or leashed? I would be terrified that mine would jump out of my arms and disappear.

Both. Most in cages, a few in arms with leashes.

My daughter was enthralled. She came home and tried to leash our cat. Um no just no. He made his hate quite known.

She had better luck with the chinchilla.

I worked in Rehabilitation Medicine for much of my medical career, saw it all, BUT just PLEASE remember not is always as it looks.

I cruised with a friend who had significant nerve damage in her legs (post polio as a child issue). She could walk from the check in counter to the boarding gate just fine, although very slowly. HOWEVER, she could NOT also stand in line for the TSA checks and such. That extra 15 - 45 minutes were just too much. So, she used a wheelchair in the airport when boarding a plane. Getting off - she could walk the necessary distance too baggage claim, where there were seats nearby to sit in while I claimed all the luggage. She could also walk around the ship just fine - and if she got overly tired or experienced too much pain, she could sit for a few minutes - seats always nearby onboard. Now if someone saw her boarding and disembarking their report would sound like some of the comments above about folks gaming the system. In her case this would be so very wrong and unfair.

Yes, there are cheaters and I really dislike such behavior - it is not fair to anyone except the "cheating" individual and maybe their traveling companion. However, you cannot always tell what is real and what is "fake" just by looking.

Thanks for this post. I am one of hose people who needs extra time (and space) like your friend. Airlines are nothing but inconsistent. I have had the flight attendants take my cane away on some flights but not others. I don't bring carry on luggage anymore since I cannot manage it but I have still been pushed aside in the early boarding call by someone with twice the allotment with no restriction to their mobility, no children or any other stated reason for assisted boarding.

But when regulators do not apply rules, or the rules change due to jurisdictions, then some people will take advantage. My mum worked for an airline and when there was a strike she had no choice but fly to a different city and do the jobs of those on strike as she was a secretary in the head office. In Canada at the time wheelchairs were a free service whereas it was a paid service in other jurisdictions. The gate attendants would contact the destination with the number of wheelchairs required. If the flight took off from a jurisdiction where people had to pay for wheelchairs mum learned early that 3 to 4 times the number of wheelchairs would be required when it landed only because it was free.

I was on Ironsides quite a few years ago, and don't remember these, but they could be there. The term "poop deck" is from the french, as noted above.

Where you went to "do your business" was the "head". At the front of the ship, there were spars that projected out each side that the anchors were lashed to when underway. These were the "catheads". When nature called, you climbed out on the cathead, hung your legs over one side and your backside over the other. This became "using the head".

In naval architecture, a poop deck is a deck that forms the roof of a cabin built in the rear, or "aft", part of the superstructure of a ship. The name originates from the French word for stern, la poupe, from Latin puppis.

I have a personal Friend who trains Puppies for the South Eastern Guide dog Association.. She & her DH have the puppy for a year before they are given back to the association for further training..The Puppies wear a vest which tells the general public that they are in training..She takes them on Cruises & also brings them into stores, etc..

They are not official guide dogs until they are finally trained by the association with the final Handler..If the Puppy does not pass the last training by the association they are put up for adioption,,My Friend has adopted several of these dogs & they are now full fledged Therapy Dogs which go into our local Hospital & the School.. These dogs can be refused for lots of reasons as on their final training they are only given to the blind person who will eventually have them..One such dog was actually too large for the blind person who was slight & unable to handle the dog..My Friend adopted him & he made a wonderful Therapy dog..

Edited by serendipity1499

Wouldn't it be nice if posters read all the replies before posting.. So many times people post without any regard & ignore other posters answers..:rolleyes:

Spot on ... I also wish that Posters would take their own advice/admonitions to heart and not jump to conclusions without all of the facts ...

Smooth sailing ...