San Diego Cruise port

ovchamp

Wow ! Do you actually stay up at night thinking of these far-fetched excuses for poor port administration? Maybe you should know that HAL has Mariners' Embarkation Luncheons (as they used to be called) in ALL their embarkation ports and none of them experience the chaos that San Diego does. Blaming HAL because longshoremen break for lunch during the busiest time? Maybe you should consider blaming their union :rolleyes:

Thank you for saying this. To his credit, he did say it was his "opinion". But I agree, assuming management is out to ruin people's vacations intentionally or even inadvertently through their incompetence, always gives me pause.

We were contemplating a through the canal cruise from SD to FLL. Our friends just came back from that reverse cruise on the Veendam. Had a horrible time. At disembarkation their luggage was lost and then eventually found but would require them to pay for it to get to their home even after they had paid for luggage to be delivered to the airport.

Their opinion of SD disembarkation was it was a zoo as others here have stated. That plus the condition of the ship and poor service had us rethink SD and HAL.

We're already booked on the Oosterdam for March and will probably do that one. But the fall cruise through the canal on HAL is out and we're now going to try Celebrity Equinox.

Other posters here are willing to give HAL a wide pass on many areas of cruising but we're changing out view. After trying RCL and NCL a couple of years ago HAL needs to step up their game. So Celebrity gets the nod this time and SD gets removed as a port.

Dan

You are correct....only one way in and it is the same narrow passage for those exiting. In my opinion Holland America created the embarkation nightmares by offering a special Mariner's Luncheon on day of sailing. Too many people attempt to board at 11-12 am, when disembarkation is just finishing. As noted on previous posts, longshoremen take their lunches in two shifts, starting about that time and continuing until 12:30 pm.

Until HAL assigns embarkation times ala Celebrity, Carnival, and Princess.....there will be long lines until 2 pm at the pier.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

David

So it is HAL's fault that the facility is badly laid out and the overpaid dock workers are bloody-minded? Strange that the Mariners' lunch doesn't foul up operations at other ports.

We just did the FLL to SD, and disembarkation was super easy. We had zero problems. But very sorry to hear about lost luggage - a terrible thing to face at the end (or beginning) of any trip. Condolences for that.

Most of the SD problems are embarkation, particularly when sharing this port with larger ships on the same day.

At worst, the SD embarkation problems may add an extra hour or two to your cruise experience that you would not like to have. Not enough to not use SD as an embarkation port.

HAL Amsterdam responded to one bad experience getting past security with a welcome glass of champagne and special appetizer. They knew it was a mess and they cared. They wanted to do what they could to restart on the right foot.

Wow ! Do you actually stay up at night thinking of these far-fetched excuses for poor port administration? Maybe you should know that HAL has Mariners' Embarkation Luncheons (as they used to be called) in ALL their embarkation ports and none of them experience the chaos that San Diego does. Blaming HAL because longshoremen break for lunch during the busiest time? Maybe you should consider blaming their union :rolleyes:

Totally agree. San Diego was our worst embarkation port ever. We've never had the problems we did here ever.

At worst, the SD embarkation problems may add an extra hour or two to your cruise experience that you would not like to have. Not enough to not use SD as an embarkation port.

HAL Amsterdam responded to one bad experience getting past security with a welcome glass of champagne and special appetizer. They knew it was a mess and they cared. They wanted to do what they could to restart on the right foot.

An extra hour or two or three hours. :(

Captain Van Eerten made it clear on our Westerdam cruise that if things don't improve a LOT, HAL will not be sailing from here.

We had apologies too. But, frankly, until I hear that things are better and there is an escalator, better movement through the lines, etc. we will avoid this port. One experience was enough for us. We can fly to Europe in just a couple more hours than here and the ports are much better managed for check in ;).

DH and I are in good shape and we were absolutely beat by the time we got on board. If HAL hadn't opened the crew entrance (thank you Security and Captain Van Eerten) I don't know what time we would have gotten on board since there was only one elevator working.

Of course we were invited to climb the stairs, but no one offered to carry the carry on's. This lady with the bad elbow only had one good arm and couldn't manage carry on and hang on to a railing and wasn't about to try the 4 or 5 flight trip.

Remember when the airlines advertised "half the fun is getting there"? Running the gauntlets at airports today is an equal mess. Travel is no longer fun, until you finally get the key card to your cabin and open the door.

Or, to quote Air Canada's unofficial motto.... "we don't feel good till YOU don't feel good".:mad:

Remember when the airlines advertised "half the fun is getting there"? Running the gauntlets at airports today is an equal mess. Travel is no longer fun, until you finally get the key card to your cabin and open the door.

Of course, but we have to fly anyways no matter where we are going ;):(

We always spend time in our embarkation ports to enjoy the city. San Diego is lovely but with the time involved to get there, the mess at embarkation, DH said let's go back to Europe. And we are. I'd rather fly to or from Barcelona, Paris, wherever and have a decent embarkation than deal with this nightmare again.

Keep in mind that I was recovering from elbow surgery and the dragging on forever was really wearing me down. Not a great way to start a cruise. That's just my own personal take and experience, but I've never seen the zoo that I saw at San Diego (and I don't mean where they keep the animals).

We arrived at the port around 11:00 am. I think I got to my cabin at around 1:30pm and we were in the priority line once we got through the zig zag of checking bags, the snaking line up to get through security, etc.

I've never seen anything like it and I never want to see it again. It was an endless standing, shuffling, dragging, etc. I was exhausted and my arm was killing me. In FLL, we would have been onboard at 11:45 unless there was an issue, otherwise we would have been sitting in a chair and I could have propped my arm.

Long story short, it's not a port that we want to embark from again until I start to hear consistent, favourable reports. I think this port is used to the 4 nighters that just have carry on. They don't seem to be able to handle 33 day cruisers. At least that was our experience.

2,131 Celebrity Infinity guests sailed from San Diego today. There were no lines, no delays as you continue to insist are certain here.

Disney Wonder sails with almost 2,600 guests.....no issues to date.

This fall that ship has scheduled 11 sailings from here.

So it isn't the port.

The solution to your complaints is that in the future, you will be assigned a boarding time.....as Disney, RCCL, Celebrity.....and Carnival have implemented.

It works. You will be given a 30 minute window....beginning at 12:00 pm and continuing until 3 pm.

David

P.S. 80 degrees, calm wind.

As far as my knowledge and last cruise, the Mariner's Luncheon on embarkation day has been replaced with an invitation to attend a Mariner's Reception on a subsequent sea day.

Edited by DAllenTCY

2,131 Celebrity Infinity guests sailed from San Diego today. There were no lines, no delays as you continue to insist are certain here.

Disney Wonder sails with almost 2,600 guests.....no issues to date.

This fall that ship has scheduled 11 sailings from here.

So it isn't the port.

The solution to your complaints is that in the future, you will be assigned a boarding time.....as Disney, RCCL, Celebrity.....and Carnival have implemented.

It works. You will be given a 30 minute window....beginning at 12:00 pm and continuing until 3 pm.

David

P.S. 80 degrees, calm wind.

Uggh. If i want to sail those lines or O I will.

Why is this only necessary in San Diego?

I've embarked in FLL, Rome, Bcn, Athens to name just a few and never had to endure the mess we did in San Diego.

And we were NOT given boarding times ever in the other ports.

So, I don't think the problem is HAL's. I think the problem is the port.

Of course, if that is the only way to have a decent embarkation, I am sure it will be happen. There are lots of other great ports and itineraries to embark from.

As someone once said, "choices, it's all about choices". And I choose NOT to sail out of this port again until I know it is civilized.

Sorry, but now you got me riled and I don't appreciate being told what time i MUST board a ship. One of the things I didn't like about O - but at least on HAL our rooms will be ready when we board, unlike O.

I met with the Westerdam staff last Saturday, and we discussed improvements to their disbarkation schedule.

Yesterday, I received the WEDM PRELIM SAN DIEGO DEBARK VOYAGE 569 manifest...November 26th.

Nothing has been changed.

So myself and my supervisors are trying our best to make do with zero help from the ship.

What else can I do?

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

I met with the Westerdam staff last Saturday, and we discussed improvements to their disbarkation schedule.

Yesterday, I received the WEDM PRELIM SAN DIEGO DEBARK VOYAGE 569 manifest...November 26th.

Nothing has been changed.

So myself and my supervisors are trying our best to make do with zero help from the ship.

What else can I do?

David

Just stop dumping over every poster who reports a nightmare experience in San Diego.

Just stop dumping over every poster who reports a nightmare experience in San Diego.

Maybe it's time for a letter campaign to suggest Long Beach. Sad because I love San Diego and the easy access to the airport.

Edited by frankc98376

That would be a good start.

Next, listen to those same customers (which is, after all, what the passengers who go through that port are to the port authorities).

Accept that there IS a problem at that port, and make the commitment to solve that problem.

Then, take a look at what other ports do to make things go so much better, see what would work there (or could be adapted), and draw up some plans for procedural changes.

Last, let the port authorities start to think creatively, come up with a plan, and implement it.

DAllen I sincerely appreciate the efforts you are making to try to improve the embarkation experience in San Diego. IMHO, the next step is to follow Ruth's advice. We have embarked at this port at least five times cruising on RCI, Princess, and HAL and the overall embarkation and disembarkation experience is about the same with HAL (twice) overall more difficult. Assigned boarding times do seem to help with the earliest boarding assigned to Suites and highest level loyalty cruisers. Disembarkation is another issue that is worse at this port.

Edited by qsuzi

That would be a good start.

Next, listen to those same customers (which is, after all, what the passengers who go through that port are to the port authorities).

Accept that there IS a problem at that port, and make the commitment to solve that problem.

Then, take a look at what other ports do to make things go so much better, see what would work there (or could be adapted), and draw up some plans for procedural changes.

Last, let the port authorities start to think creatively, come up with a plan, and implement it.

It appears SD has closed their "new" and perfectly awful second port terminal and it is now under a total redo according to an earlier post here. So right now everyone is forced into the single dock area with the old cavernous facility on one side and a large tent on the other.

Don't know what the timeline is for the redo of the "new" terminal, but I wish them every success for a speedy and competent remodel based upon reality, and not whatever major missteps the original design foisted on us.

That said, sorting out what still remains as personnel issues versus facilities deficiencies will just have to wait and see when the newly remodeled second terminal is put back into use again.

Meanwhile the new port side refurbishments are lovely and SD has all the potential to be a great embarkation port. Easy air and train access, close by hotels, easy shopping for last minute purchases, and the chance to see your ship come in early in the morning from your hotel window. All good.

Edited by OlsSalt

Agree with Ols Salt. San Diego has such good air connections, closeness to port, good hotel accommodations, train access and interstate for driving. Actually we always plan several days to play in San Diego prior to boarding. So much to see and do, as tourists and as many year's visitors. This activity has become part of our cruise. Have really had no problems in boarding prior to the Veendam/Westerdam moorage of Nov 5th. Have never had any probs debarking the ship. Just get off when number is called. Jump in a cab and off to the airport. So one event in many trips, probably have been lucky, but no complaints here.

Marianne

Maybe it's time for a letter campaign to suggest Long Beach. Sad because I love San Diego and the easy access to the airport.

Long Beach or San Pedro always worked well for us... and flight-wise, so much easier to get to. But I do love the city of San Diego.

2010 news story about the opening of the "new" SD cruise terminal:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-san-diego-port-to-debut-new-cruise-terminal-2010nov05-htmlstory.html

This is the one I assume is now closed for a total make-over and was a total disaster. It was closed when we disembarked in early Nov. Best of luck getting it right this time SB. Hang in there.

Nooooooo! Bad idea. I've had bad experiences embarking/disembarking a few times at other ports. It's all part of the process. I usually can't wait to get to my cruise especially when I have to check out of my hotel at 11am and I'm so excited to get to the ship just like a thousand other cruisers. When you have so many people checking in all at the same time in a rush to get to the Lido for lunch to create havoc there then this slows the process. Things happen. Noro clean up is one example. Ft lauderdale was the worst for us. We waited hours (but met some great people in the meantime). C'mon cruisers, you've all been through this drill before. San Diego is a great port. Drop the luggage and then go enjoy the city some and wait for the crowd to die down or bring a book to read while you wait. I actually expect to have to wait to board and if there is no hold up then more the better.

for embarkation and or disembarkation!!!!

I'm a SD native and have sailed many, many, many times into and out of our port...on HAL/RCCL and X...especially when the Oosterdam was home-ported here...BEFORE...the bottom dropped out of the Mexican cruise industry!!! Which was just about the time the "new" terminal was completed...and most cruise lines abandoned the Mexican cruises and we were left "holding the bag: of a new terminal....:o

I agree that the process is not the best...it can be hard getting on board because of the "funneling" of the arriving passengers and hard getting off because US Customs has their own schedule of when to show up to process passengers disembarking...this is not the fault of HAL or any other line.

We are happy to see HAL offering many more cruises again to HI and Mexico out of SD...in fact we are booked for the holiday cruise next year on the Oosterdam. Since we live here...our embarkation and disembarkation can we less stressful....but I do appreciate what you all have said and experienced. Perhaps a letter to the SD Authority (which is VERY powerful here in SD) might help you address these concerns with the appropriate legal authority which TBH...runs the entire show!!!! :cool:

Don't write us off your map...please. We are a lovely city...as you have said...and please help us by writing the correct authorities to express your concerns and problems dealing with out lovely port!!!! And do remember...that many other port cities do have similar problems...especially on busy port days...we just boarded in "Civi" with 8 ships...now that was a ZOO!!!!! :) LuAnn

I'm coming out there in December and embarking on ms Amsterdam. I am hoping for the best and we are the only ship in port.

I was in-transit on that Westerdam 30/33/35 day cruise to Hawai`i and the So Pacific last April that some have mentioned. We were the only ship and I don't know if they weren't prepared for the amount of luggage or what [it was still being loaded on just before the ship left late]. I watched the whole circus from my balcony - what a mess! Glad I was not down there with my knee problems.

I'm hoping with the more regular visits from home porting ships, that the operation has improved. I hope to be stress-free and embark with no trouble(s).

Just reporting in on today's embarkation from San Diego. All went well for us. We arrived at the port at 12:30 p.m. We did not have to wait outside at any time. We were through security within 10 minutes. There was a line but it moved swiftly. Check in was also efficient. We sat for under five minutes before our boarding group was called. No waiting for an elevator onboard. We were in our stateroom before 1:30. Up to the lido and having a Dive in burger by 1:40. All went smoothly. Two ships in port (Westy and Crystal Symphony).

Getting ready to sail. It's foggy and cool but hopefully warmer tomorrow.:):)

We are two star Mariners so no priority checkin for us.