Dawn - Live 11/27

TheDougOut

Awesome live review! I loved reading your Escape one, it got me really pumped for my trip.

I am in a sort of lull right now where I now know I passed the bar, have applications in all over the place, 4 interviews completed, and recently stopped working at my unpaid internship. A big girl job is right around the corner and I think I need a vacation before I really grow up.

The 5 day Dawn cruise that is leaving in a week is crazy cheap for solo's. I decided to do a courtesy hold on it and will likely pull the trigger tomorrow afternoon! I went on here to do some research and I feel like finding your live blog just sealed deal for me!

This was SO tempting for us too!!!! Inside cabins were down to an extremely low amount not to pull the trigger, however, hubby can't take off from work so we booked for a later date!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Heeeeeyyyyy!!! Full-on discovery mode.

That stairway-to-nowhere that I mentioned in post 4716... goes to a hidden door beneath the stairs.

2ece72b88247692a7c89c023a8e8d41e.jpg

I can't imagine what's in there. Maybe Lazlo won the cruise sweepstakes. (I'll be embarrassed for anyone that get's that)

The good news... I'm not dying. I just figured out that the lights dimming is from the lighted elevator bases.

5c4b6ce9a6e7a88bebed9626b3e8332f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lazlo? Wasn't he a 'Real genius'? :rolleyes:

This was SO tempting for us too!!!! Inside cabins were down to an extremely low amount not to pull the trigger, however, hubby can't take off from work so we booked for a later date!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm seriously rapidly going back and forth in my head. It's insane really. If by some magic I get a job offer in the next few days I will pull the trigger (if flights aren't crazy).

Awesome live review! I loved reading your Escape one, it got me really pumped for my trip.

I am in a sort of lull right now where I now know I passed the bar, have applications in all over the place, 4 interviews completed, and recently stopped working at my unpaid internship. A big girl job is right around the corner and I think I need a vacation before I really grow up.

The 5 day Dawn cruise that is leaving in a week is crazy cheap for solo's. I decided to do a courtesy hold on it and will likely pull the trigger tomorrow afternoon! I went on here to do some research and I feel like finding your live blog just sealed deal for me!

You should definitely go on the 5 day. My husband and I are on that. His first cruise. We are from Illinois, next to Southeast Iowa. We are driving down Friday and spending Saturday night in New Orleans.

Yes.

That is " The Blond Lady " story.

Edited by biker@sea

When you guys went in the water could you touch the bottom at all times or were some parts over your head?

Im 6'4", and had to doggy-paddle most parts NOT to touch. There were many non-soft rocks (I'm hesitant to say sharp) on both the bottom and sides that I was trying to avoid "kicking" mid-paddle. I did a few times - and it hurt.

Sue is 5'-nuttin, and could barely touch in most spots. She was trying to avoid touching as well.

Im 6'4", and had to doggy-paddle most parts NOT to touch. There were many non-soft rocks (I'm hesitant to say sharp) on both the bottom and sides that I was trying to avoid "kicking" mid-paddle. I did a few times - and it hurt.

Sue is 5'-nuttin, and could barely touch in most spots. She was trying to avoid touching as well.

Good to know. This looks like an awesome excursion but I'm a little worried as my boyfriend can't swim. But he's about 5'5ish so I'm thinking he would be ok. Especially if we are made to wear a life jacket.

Good to know. This looks like an awesome excursion but I'm a little worried as my boyfriend can't swim. But he's about 5'5ish so I'm thinking he would be ok. Especially if we are made to wear a life jacket.

You're required to wear a floaty thingy. There are also exit points along the way, which indicate how far to the next exit spot, and at least one sign mentioned how far of a walk to the exit if you choose to get out.

f7613ca21a2dc795d14329a80d1759b9.jpg

ef05f89af2080ec8ffb555069cad3bcf.jpg

79299e688166feae7ebd09552f66c0e8.jpg

Edited by TheDougOut

Finally all caught up.

The Shady C / Motley final video was incredible. I miss that guy and his controversial posts.

Phenomenal review once again Doug. I think I laughed out loud on every joke. I feel silly now for thinking 10 days ago "this review will be great but probably not as epic as his Escape review". Yeah, I was way off. This was as legendary as your Escape review. Absolutely incredible and hysterical.

Thanks again.

The Shady C / Motley final video was incredible. I miss that guy and his controversial posts.

As Sue said, he's a likable guy. I thought he was great on the phone call - especially when asked an unexpected question and was forced to answer off the cuff.

If and when I get around to it (and with his permission - which won't be a problem) - I have some great Motley extras to release.

All of the intro videos were purposely 1 take with no edits allowed (slight exception with Maya Chan, where I started the call with a string of boring questions that I cut out). We called Motley after Mark @ Maya Chan, and it was quite late. Once the call ended, my phone started erupting with non-stop voice message alerts from him - like 15-20 of them. They're priceless, and mostly focused on his intrigue over Sue.

I'll admit it now, YV, you may have been 90% of the intended audience for that video. I was actually fearful it would get mod-deleted. But I was optimistic - and I thought it covered some really good positive perspectives.

Seeing those floaty chairs sealed it for me.

You meant to say "floaty chairs WITH CUPHOLDERS."

There's an anchored tie-off line about 75' off shore. That's where I met up with Cyndi, and tied off with her. Rough life.

Btw, with all the non-stop drink service - there's no tipping until you leave, which only adds to the ambiance of not caring about a thing. There's a box on the way out where you can deposit your appreciation.

Just realized the Captain's Party conflicts with our Los Lobos reservation, so we just asked Leah to switch it to 7:30pm. Our only chance for the Band on the Run show will be 9pm.

1b14fab98e691ef31a1777b048e32190.jpg

She is the best! I cannot say enough good about her detail, always on time, always friendly. Personal touch and treated us like royalty in the Garden Villa.

One thing I'm puzzled about… You said you called the upsell number and scored your Family Suite on the way to New Orleans, after leaving home. Was that for real or artistic license? :confused:

The original day 1 video was recorded and in the books. I reserved our original room nearly a year ago, based on its proximity to the central elevators.

On Wednesday, the day before thanksgiving, I called upsell in the morning and was offered the SD Family Suite for $500pp, and I declined.

In the early afternoon, I called Sue and informed her that I was considering it. But if we got it, we'd have to re-record the day 1 video, which was littered with references to our original room number. She said she would do whatever I wanted to do.

At 4pm, I bit the bullet and called upsell back. I got a recorded message that they had left early for Thanksgiving. Doh!

That was that.

Until thanksgiving night. Sue came over to spend the night at my house, as my dad was picking us up at 4:30am for the airport. When she got there, around 8pm, I asked her if she wanted to record a 2nd Day 1 video, if by chance we got the upsell once we landed in Atlanta. She agreed.

We recorded the new Day 1 video in one take, and finished editing and uploading around 10:30pm. Neither of us slept well that night.

We touched down in Atlanta on Friday around 8am. Upsell opened at 9am.

When I got through, they offered me the upsell at $500pp. I hesitated, as 3 SD suites remained. They offered me $400pp, and I took it.

It was fun knowing that the new Day 1 video had the potential to cause some confusion.

Here's the original Day 1 video:

RAZM9uHxupI

Edited by TheDougOut