Things long gone

Fishingdve

Hi everyone, Feeling a bit nostalgic today? What are some of the things you have done on a cruise that are long gone now? I remember back in the 80's hitting golf balls and shooting skeet off the back of the Song of America. At no extra charge even.

This sounds a little crazy and really doesn't have much to do with the cruising part that much, but I really miss the advertising that used Ziggy Pop's Lust for Life....it instantly reminds me of cruising whenever I hear it because our very first cruise on the Adventure they played that constantly on the TV in the cabin and I will always associate that with cruising, and our very first one in particular. We had such a great time that trip. I also miss the cheaper drinks....being that I was a poor college student at that point in life I very much appreciated the 23oz Miller light drafts in the sports bar for a little over $4 :p

Edited by KG1924

A non crammed dining room with really really good food and minimum 4 course meal. Being able to easily get a pool lounger somewhat near the pool. Not having loud constant announcements or music all the time every where. No specialty dining. Decent buffet that was not a trough. People not wearing shorts to dinner. Last time I experienced this was 2001.

I could get this now but I'd have to go to a premium cruise line and spend a lot more $$.

Cabana Boys, servers, cocktail waiters (what ever you refer them as) on the pool deck. We spent most of our time by the pool everyday on our 9 day cruise on the Anthem.....no servers. We had to wait on line (sometimes for as long as 15 minutes) at the Sky Bar for a cocktail. It was awful. Also felt bad for the bartenders....people yelling for drinks, customers yelling "I was next" etc. Horrible. We also went to 270 for back to back shows and not once did a server ask us if we wanted a cocktail. I think there were maybe 2 servers on the floor handling that whole place. Horrible.

I truly think with the beverage packages that we all get now, there is no reason for servers. They don't have to push drinks anymore because we already paid for them...therefore, no need for servers. HORRIBLE

I miss the little flags on the loungers you would raise when you wanted a drink! Someone mentioned 4 course meals...i remember 5 courses with real silverware (not stainless), multiple settings, many glasses and real china. Definitely fantastic food, with such beautiful presentation you almost didn't want to eat it...but you did! Molded butter pats on ice.....the desserts were awesome...not so much "pudding based" stuff, but real cakes and pies...all artfully arranged....

Things like that just make it "special"...I miss that "special" feeling.

Edited by cb at sea

Skeet shooting off the back of the ship on our first cruise 1994. (carnival) Miss the chocolates, even tho I took most home. Midnight buffets. Really dressing up for formal night. Getting gifts, such as - beach bags and toilet organizers that hang. (RCCL - Yes I do use them)

Edited by cruising twosome

The deck stewards who would push a cart with Lemonade to serve you while you were sunning. Or bouillon during cooler weather.

I also remember having reserved deck chairs which you would pay a very small amount for at the beginning of the sailing. The deck steward would have it ready for you every day. No chair hogs!

Bidding on horses and then dress them up for the big race by the pool. Also, Maitre ds cooking special dishes by your table. Although I miss it, the midnight buffet got overwhelming after the 3rd night.
I so loved betting and rooting on those horses. I miss that.

Things I miss:

- I miss the book that used to arrive with the all the excursions listed, luggage tags, etc. I wished I had saved our old ones. When we got that, we knew we were near the cruise time.

- Being able to order the dining room's food in your cabin.

- No upsell of restaurants, etc.

- Less focus on 'what level are you'

I miss the $1.95 drink of the day and the $1.95 screwdrivers and bloody marys everyday. It sure was easier on the pocket book.

Oh, and what about the servers around the pool with the specialty frozen drinks for sale and for only $1.00 more, they would add a shot (floater) to the top?

I miss the midnight buffet, impeccable service from the dining room to the bartenders, to stateroom attendants. I remember our first cruise. We had an inside cabin and our cabin attendant was fantastic. We felt like royalty the way were taken care of on that cruise.

The lobster - that was like something you'd get in a 5-star seafood restaurant. All the food used to be wonderful. The lobster now has been salty, fishy and rubbery.

We never had to wait for a drink at the bar. Now there's no reason to have good customer service when you know you already have our 18% tip.

I think the only way to get that great service and great food again is to cruise with one of the premium cruise lines.