Carnival Layoffs, making 200 US IT Employees train their replacements in India

fttravel

Carnival Corporation employs over 94,000 employees. They are outsourcing 200 jobs. Let's see, 200 divided by 94,000, carry the 6, multiply by something, comes out to .2% of their work force. Get a grip people. At worst Carnival is giving these employees 6 months notice, at best they will still have a job with Capgemini.

The last reported EBITDA number I could find for Carnival was $4.41 Billion, on revenue of $16.17 Billion. If all these jobs paid an average of $150,000 per year, this would be $30 Million annually, maybe closer to $40 Million by the time you include benefits. Obviously CapGemini doesn't work for free, so Carnival wouldn't save the entire amount.

As of 2011 Carnival across all of its brands was carrying more than 20 Million passengers annually. Carnival could have raised fares across all its brands by $2 per person and none of us would have been any wiser.

That's a lot of risk to jettison an entire department for the sake of improving EBITDA by one-quarter of one percent. If no one were to sign with CapGemini then all of Carnival's brands have no IT personnel.

Sent from John Heald's eye phone.

That's a lot of risk to jettison an entire department for the sake of improving EBITDA by one-quarter of one percent. If no one were to sign with CapGemini then all of Carnival's brands have no IT personnel.

Sent from John Heald's eye phone.

Actually, Capgemini is BECOMING Carnival's IT department...

I was laid off from a newly IPO software company in late October after the same thing happened. My job was terminated in the US, and then opened at our India office a few weeks later. Ironically, I set that office up...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For those questioning the source. It is actually happening...

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/12/14/carnival-employees-protesting-cruise-lines-plan-to-cut-miami-jobs/

I think voicing your opinion to Carnival is important. And obviously nothing wrong with canceling your cruises and switching to a competitor. You have lots of options. Americans really need to stop ignoring these things. How disgusting of Carnival to do this to these workers a week before Christmas. Unreal.

Edited by BNBR

For those questioning the source. It is actually happening...

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/12/14/carnival-employees-protesting-cruise-lines-plan-to-cut-miami-jobs/

I think voicing your opinion to Carnival is important. And obviously nothing wrong with canceling your cruises and switching to a competitor. You have lots of options. Americans really need to stop ignoring these things. How disgusting of Carnival to do this to these workers a week before Christmas. Unreal.

Didn't I read someone state emphatically that John Heald said this was NOT happening?

Didn't I read someone state emphatically that John Heald said this was NOT happening?

You mean Carnival is denying wrongdoing? No way!

The CBS source I just provided has a statement from Carnival as well denying it.

And yes, John Heald essentially repeated the same Carnival talking point.

Edited by BNBR

The person on the other end of the line feels the same way.

#mindboggle

While that is true being we American's speak the English language we should expect the overseas operators to speak English clearly.

That isn't mind boggling it's a FACT!

I just brought this up in my recent feedback to Carnival re: my Dec 4-10 cruise on the Splendor.

This situation is not unique to Carnival, but definitely symptomatic of capitalism run amuck. You get corporations whose shareholders demand year-over-year earnings growth. Growth tends to come through expansion and innovation, but this becomes more difficult over time. Then continued demand for growth leads to finding ways to become more "efficient." It's good to review operations periodically and look for efficiencies, but this still is not enough. Then the cutbacks begin - wages, training, quality, level of service, maintenance... maybe not so obvious at first. Labor cutbacks begin, with a smaller staff expected to do "more with less." That's still not enough, as the shareholders demand MORE earnings growth. Then the outsourcing begins -- sending "non-essential" tasks to third-party vendors, contractors, etc. That's still not enough, which is why you see many US-based companies moving their operations overseas. There are other countries that don't have laws regulating the environment, employee safety, etc. and pay starvation wages, and it's in this global environment where companies can reap much greater profits... at a cost.

Where will it end? The business model involves very demanding shareholders, and if they don't see the desired return on their investment, they will oust the Chairman of the Board, demand the firing of the CEO, etc. It's a vicious process and I don't see any end to it in the global economy. The US will continue losing jobs that pay well here so that corporations can keep costs down (while paying starvation wages to overseas workers).

Edited by OhJinkies

Not true at all. As stated about Disney earlier it does make a difference.

Not sure what you are referring to. Just had news story here in Florida this morning that Disney is outsourcing jobs to India, 300 reported. Some employee group filed suit but Disney responded that suit is unfounded and they are proceeding as planned. Workers are to train their replacements.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I just brought this up in my recent feedback to Carnival re: my Dec 4-10 cruise on the Splendor.

This situation is not unique to Carnival, but definitely symptomatic of capitalism run amuck. You get corporations whose shareholders demand year-over-year earnings growth. Growth tends to come through expansion and innovation, but this becomes more difficult over time. Then continued demand for growth leads to finding ways to become more "efficient." It's good to review operations periodically and look for efficiencies, but this still is not enough. Then the cutbacks begin - wages, training, quality, level of service, maintenance... maybe not so obvious at first. Labor cutbacks begin, with a smaller staff expected to do "more with less." That's still not enough, as the shareholders demand MORE earnings growth.

Also consider that cruisers, as you easily find here in the forums, complain when prices go up. People even stoop to a level of schlepping cases of water and pop along with smuggling in rum runners to save a few bucks. Funny that when Carnival tries to reduce their operating costs that people chastise them. Face it, Carnival is global, US is NOT their only county they operate in. Sucks for workers, but those in India are grateful.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Somebody started a thread about this yesterday, and it appears the moderators have vaporized it. I'm guessing this thread might not last long either.

You have to feel bad for the Carnival workers, especially right here before Christmas.

Maybe The Donald will offer Carnival a deal like he did to Carrier to keep the jobs in the U.S.

Thanks I was looking for the other thread...The Donald seems to pick & choose his companies to pick on.

Guys, as a former IT professional, this has been happening since the 80's. Companies brought in workers using the H-1B visa, paid them less and let the Americans go. They are just eliminating the visa step (which is currently under attack ) by sending the jobs directly to India.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

This is being picked up by Fox Business today, the one person who has gone public about this is now being represented by the same lawyer(s) that are representing the laid off Disney IT Employees.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/12/15/laid-off-carnival-worker-hires-lawyer-after-hes-forced-to-train-foreign-replacement.html

While that is true being we American's speak the English language we should expect the overseas operators to speak English clearly.

That isn't mind boggling it's a FACT!

Agree about the language requirement. But, as some stated earlier, these jobs are not in customer support, so I doubt it will be an issue....

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Carnival Corporation employs over 94,000 employees. They are outsourcing 200 jobs. Let's see, 200 divided by 94,000, carry the 6, multiply by something, comes out to .2% of their work force. Get a grip people. At worst Carnival is giving these employees 6 months notice, at best they will still have a job with Capgemini.

Finally, a reasonable post....and these are my thoughts exactly. They could have laid them off on the spot, but they still have time to earn money while looking for a new job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Doggielover68

Finally, a reasonable post....and these are my thoughts exactly. They could have laid them off on the spot, but they still have time to earn money while looking for a new job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First time anyone on CC has ever referred to one of my posts as "reasonable " [emoji3] My therapy must be working....

Sent from my Galaxy 4

I just got a proforma response from Princess loaded with double talk.

As. princess Elite passenger I have noticed the gradual decline of the product.

Having just returned from a Hawaii Cruise with them I can say in all aspects cruising with them is not what it used to be.

I have one booked for April that i am reconsidering in light of this.

For the persons who quoted the thousands of "jobs" Carnival has, how many employ Americans ?

Edited by RAJO
Addition

All I can say is if you don't like that Carnival is doing this you should probably not cruise with any of the US cruise companies then. I have done a lot of IT work for many of the cruise companies and all of them have done such things. One I know of did it many years back and converted all their IT staff to another vendor. Many of them have also moved much of their IT equipment from being company owned to either being leased or at least in another hosting companies facilities.

I've been in the IT industry for many years now and one thing I have always known is we are nothing but a cost center to the company. Sort of looked at as the necessary evil so to speak. If they can find way's to save most of them do. It sucks for the people working there but usually if they are good at what they do the company coming in keeps them on for the long haul. The ones who are so-so are cut when they can be.

Never a fun thing to look at but many times some of the salaries attached to people have gone WAY up and they can get 2 to 3 new people for the same cost. Sadly I'm a you get what you pay for type of person so those services can suffer for some time until the company is either replaced or they are forced to get their act's together.

When Disney tried to do something similar last year, it was the public outcry that made them partially reverse their decision.

Disney did it and is about to do it again.

This has been going on for decades. I know all the excuses but having been hit by it myself I think it's pretty foul behavior. In my case H-1b people were having visas renewed while people every bit as good were getting canned.

When will mahogany row outsource themselves? :eek: