Carnival Layoffs, making 200 US IT Employees train their replacements in India

fttravel

I have been cruising with Carnival for 20+ years, for a company to do this is so immoral.

I know that a lot of companies have done this, we can't stop the trend, but the worst thing we can do is ignore it.

The H1B is being widely abused by companies. The visa was never meant to allow companies to import cheaper foreign labor to replace American workers. This trend can be stopped by reducing the number of visas issued.

Cheers.

Zymologist

The H1B is being widely abused by companies. The visa was never meant to allow companies to import cheaper foreign labor to replace American workers. This trend can be stopped by reducing the number of visas issued.

I remember first hearing about the H1B visa during the debates this last year, was a big deal in the debates when brought up. The new administration bragged (go figure!) about using this visa to staff his big golf resort in Florida cuz "american workers dont want the part time cheap jobs"(read: employer does not want to pay higher wages)....so there you go...used apparently by everyone and anyone that wants cheap labor.

Edited by Drazil65

Most of the fortune 500 companies have been doing this for years, including the one I work for. So it's nothing new in the business world, especially when the stakeholders want to continue to see profitable returns.

As a retired IT person who had his job off-shored and had to spend two months training his non-U.S. replacement, this statement is very true and occurs much more often than the public (e.g. customers of those companies) realize. Express all the contempt and disdain you like for that company but it won't change anything until (or if) the off-shoring results are poor and they're faced with pulling those jobs back to U.S. resources.

As a retired IT person who had his job off-shored and had to spend two months training his non-U.S. replacement, this statement is very true and occurs much more often than the public (e.g. customers of those companies) realize. Express all the contempt and disdain you like for that company but it won't change anything until (or if) the off-shoring results are poor and they're faced with pulling those jobs back to U.S. resources.

Well said

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Carnival Corporation employs over 94,000 employees. They are outsourcing 200 jobs. Let's see, 200 divided by 94,000, carry the 6, multiply by something, comes out to .2% of their work force. Get a grip people. At worst Carnival is giving these employees 6 months notice, at best they will still have a job with Capgemini.

You guys probably deal with tons of companies every day who have done the same or similar things as described in the article. You just don't know about it.

I'd be more worried about many other things that companies and people in power do than who is working where and at what time of year!:rolleyes:

Ssunfortunately this has been going on for years. And although I do sort of understand why most of us have been "sheep"" as long as it has not directly affected us or our families, when do we stop rolling over as millions more Americans lose any financial security while the CEOs continue to get huge bonuses for cutting costs ,i.e. Ruining lives by cutting middle class jobs?

I do love cruising and I know that my one voice has zero clout in what is going on, but from now on I will be boycotting companies that are destroying the American middle class. So that means Carnival is being added to my list.

Ssunfortunately this has been going on for years. And although I do sort of understand why most of us have been "sheep"" as long as it has not directly affected us or our families, when do we stop rolling over as millions more Americans lose any financial security while the CEOs continue to get huge bonuses for cutting costs ,i.e. Ruining lives by cutting middle class jobs?

I do love cruising and I know that my one voice has zero clout in what is going on, but from now on I will be boycotting companies that are destroying the American middle class. So that means Carnival is being added to my list.

More cabins for me to choose from in the future...

Sent from my Galaxy 4

The last 4 large and well-known companies I worked for did the same thing to the department I worked in, so this is hardly a shocker to me. Living in south Florida all my life, this is the norm here, which is why my husband and I now run our own businesses. Lay off after lay off is disheartening, but you have to roll with it or work for yourself. In the end, it was a blessing for us both as now we can take 2 cruises a year without fighting for vacation time slots :D