Carnival Layoffs, making 200 US IT Employees train their replacements in India

fttravel

Okay, if he's been laid off, Carnival can't force him to do anything, since he's no longer employed by Carnival, having been laid off and all. Guess being given 6 months notice, so he can start a job search and get paid while he's doing so, instead of being immediately fired, is not good enough....

Sent from my Galaxy 4

For the persons who quoted the thousands of "jobs" Carnival has, how many employ Americans ?

If you are also counting the spinoff jobs, a lot. This would include everyone who works at the Carnival US offices plus all the workers loading, supporting and suppling a Carnival ship every time it pulls into a US port.

Okay, if he's been laid off, Carnival can't force him to do anything, since he's no longer employed by Carnival, having been laid off and all. Guess being given 6 months notice, so he can start a job search and get paid while he's doing so, instead of being immediately fired, is not good enough....

Sent from my Galaxy 4

Welcome to the real world, happened to my DW about 10 years ago.

I read an interesting article about this today while looking at CCL stock news. I thought it was interesting how Carnival is spinning the situation.

http://www.investopedia.com/news/carnivals-strange-job-transfer-situation-ccl/

I can understand how these IT workers must feel having to train their replacements overseas.

If you are also counting the spinoff jobs, a lot. This would include everyone who works at the Carnival US offices plus all the workers loading, supporting and suppling a Carnival ship every time it pulls into a US port.

I wondered how many of Carnival's brands are affected by this IT outsourcing. Maybe it spans Carnival Corporation's other brands such as Princess and Holland America.

When did I have a choice = being forced. He probably is right....he probably should have just been fired/laid off....He has a choice to keep employment 6 months past Christmas and find a new job or quit now.

Being fired/laid off can get benefits. No benefits for quitters. Didn't the contract say that if they didn't sign they'd be treated as quitting?

Shoreside (check in) personal are also outsourced. Long Beach was (?) one of the last to switch over. Benefits aren't as good.

Being fired/laid off can get benefits. No benefits for quitters. Didn't the contract say that if they didn't sign they'd be treated as quitting?

Constructive dismissal is not same as quitting. This may be Carnival's bargaining tactic to pressure the workers but a good labor lawyer acting for the laying off Carnival workers will likely disagree.

I wondered how many of Carnival's brands are affected by this IT outsourcing. Maybe it spans Carnival Corporation's other brands such as Princess and Holland America.

It affects the entire company. Of the 200 positions, 140 are in South Florida.

Sent from an iPhone using Tapatalk.

Shoreside (check in) personal are also outsourced. Long Beach was (?) one of the last to switch over. Benefits aren't as good.

Outsourcing is now a fact of life in the 21st century economy. So long as the replacement job stays in US and is done by another American worker, I am ok with it.

I will no longer support Carnival cruise line and will be writing a letter to their corporate headquarters. There are a lot of things that I could say about the outsourcing company referenced in the article AND the IT support coming out of India but I will not. Let's just say that Carnival is making a HUGE mistake and will soon learn a costly lesson as a result. Many U.S. companies that have gone done the 'off-shore to India' model have scaled back tremendously or pulled contracts altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should research other companies that do the same. I bet you'll be quite surprised at all the companies you'll be boycotting.

I read an interesting article about this today while looking at CCL stock news. I thought it was interesting how Carnival is spinning the situation.

http://www.investopedia.com/news/carnivals-strange-job-transfer-situation-ccl/

I can understand how these IT workers must feel having to train their replacements overseas.

If I was forced in to this situation, my trainees would get this as the final lesson: "Once I leave, you don't want me to have access to your PC, so be sure to go to the DOS prompt and type FORMAT C:"

Constructive dismissal is not same as quitting. This may be Carnival's bargaining tactic to pressure the workers but a good labor lawyer acting for the laying off Carnival workers will likely disagree.

You should research other companies that do the same. I bet you'll be quite surprised at all the companies you'll be boycotting.

According to the article:

Sara Blackwell, a labor attorney who is advising the Carnival employees, said Carnival’s actions were announced last week during a series of meetings with the workers.

Blackwell said Carnival’s moves are part of an ongoing trend across the country that has seen American jobs being lost overseas. She said in the last two years she has dealt with at least 30 companies who have done the exact same thing.

Edited by AdGuyMG

Then I guess it IS Small World, after all.

Disney's website was bad before they outsourced. Now it is horrible.

Years ago in the 1980's we had an IBM desktop computer. When we had issues and called tech support, we were connected to Ireland. The language barrier was terrible. Outsourcing has been going on for decades.

Whatever... It's none of my business. I am just a happy customer; not an employee or a stockholder. Thus, I don't know the whole story as I am an outsider. I'll let the stakeholders duke it out.

In any event, if their website improves, then I'll be an even happier customer.

We are already invested in 2 future cruises and we also own stock. This does not sound good. I am hoping for some positive feedback. Don't want to cancel the cruises and sell the stock, but I don't know if we have any moral alternative. Carnival, what say ye?

Has it occurred to you that if Carnival has less business, they will need fewer employees in the US and abroad?

That was me, it got ugly

Didn't I read someone state emphatically that John Heald said this was NOT happening?

You mean Carnival is denying wrongdoing? No way!

The CBS source I just provided has a statement from Carnival as well denying it.

And yes, John Heald essentially repeated the same Carnival talking point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Even if CapGemini can deliver 40% savings to Carnival, that most likely saves Carnival $12 Million annually. There are more than 754 Million shares outstanding of the company. Carnival may be able to squeeze out an additional 2 cents per share from this, but that's a rounding error on a stock trading above $50 per share.

Even if CapGemini can deliver 40% savings to Carnival, that most likely saves Carnival $12 Million annually. There are more than 754 Million shares outstanding of the company. Carnival may be able to squeeze out an additional 2 cents per share from this, but that's a rounding error on a stock trading above $50 per share.

If your math is right, that's a repeating saving of $12M year after year. It can quickly add up.

If your math is right, that's a repeating saving of $12M year after year. It can quickly add up.

It all comes out in the sauce. The road is littered with hundreds of these types of things, all having various levels of success depending on the point of view.

Sent from my iPhone