Assigned boarding times?

brichar499

I just received an assigned boarding time from HAL for our upcoming K'dam cruise in early January. It happens to be the earliest time for non-priority boarding: 12noon. This is the first time we've been given an assigned time in a dozen cruises with HAL.

Since we drive to the port, our preference is to arrive around 10:30 and we're on board within an hour.

What to do?

I just received an assigned boarding time from HAL for our upcoming K'dam cruise in early January. It happens to be the earliest time for non-priority boarding: 12noon. This is the first time we've been given an assigned time in a dozen cruises with HAL.

Since we drive to the port, our preference is to arrive around 10:30 and we're on board within an hour.

What to do?

I would do what you normally do. I doubt that they can monitor your times, but rather they likely are just trying to spread out the load. We boarded the K two weeks ago and were let on around 11:30 am.

Perhaps HAL is trying to bring a more civilized boarding procedure to us. By giving passengers an assigned boarding time, they may be trying to spread out the load. Unfortunately, as long as people decide to ignore the time given to them and board as soon as the ship allows boarding, there will be lines. I just hope that people do not come back and bitch and moan about the embarkation mess when they board other than their given time. Not trying to start an argument that, just pointing out a possibility. Like in San Diego - people complain that the situation is a mess, but does anyone abide by the given time instead of trying to get on at the first possible moment?

Perhaps HAL is trying to bring a more civilized boarding procedure to us. By giving passengers an assigned boarding time, they may be trying to spread out the load. Unfortunately, as long as people decide to ignore the time given to them and board as soon as the ship allows boarding, there will be lines. I just hope that people do not come back and bitch and moan about the embarkation mess when they board other than their given time. Not trying to start an argument that, just pointing out a possibility. Like in San Diego - people complain that the situation is a mess, but does anyone abide by the given time instead of trying to get on at the first possible moment?

Some of us have to check out of our hotels by 11:00. I would much rather sit at the pier than in the hotel lobby with our bags. (and I wouldn't complain). ;)

Curious if they have a logistics scheme to make boarding flow better for non-priority. Sort of like some airlines board from the back to the front instead of front to back or others Window-Center-Aisle to speed things up. I could see assigning boarding times a number of ways to reduce congestion in hallways and on elevators and move people around faster. So beyond check-in lines there may be more to it.

Also, wondering if, since they usually gather all the wheelchair folks together and board ahead of the crowd, they would assign HC cabins an earlier boarding time.

Also, wondering if, since they usually gather all the wheelchair folks together and board ahead of the crowd, they would assign HC cabins an earlier boarding time.

Not everyone who needs wheelchair assistance for boarding needs an accessible cabin. If HAL were to assign boarding times with wheelchair assistance as a consideration, then it would be presence on the assistance list that would be the criterion.

We had assigned boarding times for embarkation on a Princess ship in White Bay, Sydney. Small holding area with limited seating.

We arrived about 30 minutes earlier than our assigned time. We waited for about 15 minutes and then our group was called.

We thought that it was a very good system. We went straight through to the desks, got our cards, through security, and we were onboard ten minutes later.

On a whim DW and I decided to take a Carnival cruise out of NOLA next month. Part of the on-line check in process was to choose a check-in time (not a requirement for us being in a suite--think Neptune, but we choose a 11am time).

These 30 periods go from 10:30 to 3pm with best times go to those who check in early.

Reading the Carnival threads it appears that you are not even allowed in the departure hall to check-in until your check-in time.

Perhaps we are starting to see "check-in" across the lines under the Carnival banner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The assigned check-in time on my trip on the Carnival Breeze worked while. When the boarding pass said "Don't arrive before your selected time", it wasn't asking for a favour. Those with later check-in times had to stand outside in the heat while I flew in at my assigned time and got on the ship in less than 30 minutes.

Maybe HAL will implement this?

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Assigned check in times....not assigned boarding times. This is how it is done in San Diego.

Priority (Suites, 4 & 5 Star Mariners) receive a boarding card with a letter "A", "B", etc. at the check-in counter.

The rest receive numbers "1", "2", etc. Each group = 100 passengers.

When all of the alphabet have been called to board, then numbers begin.

So, you might arrive at 9 am, but not get called to board until 12:30 pm or so.

Disabled guests no longer are automatically given "priority". A separate list at the main entrance will provide first come - first served wheelchair assistance to the check-in area.

As I have posted for almost a year, Disney, Celebrity and Carnival have found that assigned check-in times have alleviated many of the overcrowding complaints, and allowed for a smoother embarkation experience.

The HAL Mariners Reception is now between 2 pm and 3 pm onboard.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

We got an email this week with assigned boarding times for our cruise departing Friday on the Koningsdam. Here's what it says:

We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing.

To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we ask that guests arrive at

the terminal based on the following times. Guests who have booked a transfer or

hotel package with Holland America will be provided a check-in time at the

airport or hotel.

12:00pm ? Deck 7 & Deck 8 (Schubert & Navigation)

12:45pm ? Deck 4 & Deck 5 (Beethoven & Gershwin)

1:30pm ? Deck 10 & Deck 11 (Panorama & Sun)

2:15pm ? Deck 1 & Deck 6 (Main & Mozart)

We invite our 4 and 5 Star Mariners, Pinnacle and Neptune Suite guests to

arrive anytime between 12:00 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. Boarding will commence shortly

after check in. All guests must be onboard 1 hour prior to sailing. We

appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming

you onboard.

Unfortunately, we are in the last group. It doesn't feel like the check-in times are optional.

Wonder how this would work for HAL 4 and 5 star folks at are supposed to have priority embarkation as one of our perks?

Carnival's Platinum and Diamonds VIFP passenger (think 4 and 5 star Mariners) receive Priority boarding, along with those in Suites, and those who purchase the Faster to the Fun (FTTF) perks package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have priority boarding on RCI and on Celebrity. The last two cruises it was faster for us to through the regular line than it was to line up with the 'Priority' folks.

What struck us as very odd is that we watched others come in. They could see NO line in regular boarding and two or three in the Priority boarding line yet they selected the latter instead. Go figure. Perhaps it made them feel special to wait in line in order to make it to the Priority desk.

Some of us have to check out of our hotels by 11:00. I would much rather sit at the pier than in the hotel lobby with our bags. (and I wouldn't complain). ;)

Understood. Being from the middle of the US, I have to stay at a hotel pre-cruise, too. I'll always politely ask if a late checkout is possible - if yes, fine, if not, fine (having status at a couple of hotel brands where late checkout is an elite amenity helps). Me - I'd rather give my bag (even though it's a carryon) to the bellman to store and spend the time in air-conditioned comfort, enjoying lunch or sitting in a quiet corner reading, than in the check-in area of the pier. It tends to get a bit claustrophobic for me, and if it's warm/hot, it just "enhances" the feeling to me. But, I've never been one to have to be onboard right away...

What to do?

I think what you received was a check-in tme, not a boarding time?

We simply get a late check out. We often get a 2 hour extension when we have a late flight, etc.

If you ask nicely the hotels will often do this. An hour extra is fairly standard but you can usually get 2 if you ask the night before.

Edited by iancal

Just printed out our express docs and boarding pass. It states embark time is 1:00 PM. Does that mean that that is the time we are supposed to show up at port?

Every boarding pass we have printed as had 1 p.m. as the embarkation time, I believe.

As you have probably read in this thread, many people get to the terminal as early as possible, which is way before 1 p.m.

You did not mention where you are leaving from, but you should be able to see when the terminal opens it doors and check to see what type of waiting room they have. I think 1 p.m. is just the general boarding time if you are leaving at 4 or 5 p.m. from your port.

Have a good cruise.

• 7 months later...

Any update on the assigned check-in time procedure ? I have friends sailing out of Seattle at the end of August and they've received

an email from HAL with a check-in time schedule; they're eligible for the 1:00 check-in. I'm assuming another ship will be on the other side of the pier, so it'll be busy.

Should they wait until 1:00, or go earlier, as most of us are used to doing ? It's their first time on HAL. and they want to do the right thing.