Dresscode specialty restaurantsrestaurant gala night

SoBe2010

Men dress in suits or jackets with tie, or just shirt with no tie. We rarely see a man in Tuxedo anymore. DH gave his up 3 years ago.

Ladies dress in slacks, skirts, etc., some with fancy tops -- most plain.

Dress code is no longer enforced anywhere on HAL ships.

Tuxedos are very dependent on the length and location of the cruise. We still see plenty on longer cruises.

Hello everybody,

What is the suggested dress code on gala nights in the specialty restaurants?

Sorry, if it has been asked before and thanks in advance.

We usually do the Pinnacle Grill the first Gala night. People range from dressy to black jeans and shirt, no tie. What ever you do, you will be fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tuxedos are very dependent on the length and location of the cruise. We still see plenty on longer cruises.

In 2013 we did the Westerdam for 21 days -- have done this cruise several times before -- very few tuxedos. Thus DH tucked his tuxedo in the back of his closet.

We just did the same 21 day cruise on the Westerdam this past spring -- hardly any tuxedos at all!! And very few men in suits.

DH did wear suits and or jacket with ties on Gala nights.

And we always eat in the Pinnacle so do get a good chance to see what others are wearing.

I used to wear floor length skirts but now that I have to use a walker/rollator -- they don't work. I wear 3/4 length skirts with fancy tops.

We usually do the Pinnacle Grill the first Gala night. People range from dressy to black jeans and shirt, no tie. What ever you do, you will be fine

Slacks and polo for men? I know the website says shirts with collars but that can mean anything. To me the only shirts without collars are t-shirts.

It is now a free for all with dress....and we have even seen some men with baseball caps on gala nights. As to myself, I still prefer to keep the cruise tradition alive and bring my Tux. Wearing a Tux is really not much different the wearing a suit or sport coat...but the Tux does look nicer. On our longer HAL cruises (our most recent was the nearly 2 month Grand Med Cruise) plenty of men were still wearing Tuxedos or dark suits....but there were also many with just a nice shirt and slacks (trousers for you Brits).

Hank

I've always been happy with a little black cocktail dress with a lovely silk shawl to dress it up. But I do also have a long dress I also take on longer cruises - and I admit it was a cheapie - polyester with beading on the top ( my hubby likes it) - but packs well. And add some bling or another silk shawl (I've got several), and you're goodl

To avoid taking hubby's bulky suit, etc., last time we rented a tux for the gala nights - he was quite happy. Not saying it fit perfectly, but he looked great (if you didn't look too closely!). This is less about doing what others do, and more about doing what feels right to you. We NEVER EVER dress up at home - even going out to eat - so this is a fresh change for us, and we enjoy it.

I pack silk pants and skirts in both black and cream, with multiple easy pack fabric tops. Someone here reminded me, only the top of you gets seen when sitting down at the table.

Scarves and lightweight costume jewelry make a big difference when wanting to add variety. Shrugs as well as stoles and light weight jackets always look good too for a change of pace, as just suggested for that LBD.

Edited by OlsSalt

I like the way Crystal Cruise Line sets their dress code for this special evening: black tie optional. This lets the passenger fill in the rest.

Pretty much every line PERMITS black tie as an option - along with almost anything reasonably clean and neat; possibly no shorts or tee shirts - but aside from that, there really are no dress codes enforced anywhere, with the exception of Cunard and some British lines.

Just curious as they usually have a great menu in the MDR on Gala nights with a great chocolate dessert!

We rarely visit the MDR on any cruise line and never on a Formal/Gala/Whatever night. Neither of us hear all that well and we find the MDR to be too noisy.

Edited by RocketMan275

Pinnacle Grill has the same menu on all nights. No difference for Gala nights. We usually eat there on the first Gala night when the MDR menu is not as great. Alway eat in the MDR second Gala night when lobster is on the menu

Pinnacle Grill has the same menu on all nights. No difference for Gala nights. We usually eat there on the first Gala night when the MDR menu is not as great. Alway eat in the MDR second Gala night when lobster is on the menu

I know. That's the one problem we have with the Pinnacle Grill. We ate there 5 times this past cruise and were pretty much ready to go back to the variety of the MDR menus. However, they do have great food and great steaks! Also, once we make 4 star after our next cruise, the 50% off factor will also play a large part in our decision making process, especially if we have OBC to burn.

For whatever it is worth, we were on Eurodam for the recent trans-Atlantic crossing. The first 7 nights (return Barcelona) we saw more tuxedos worn by the European gentlemen, who seemed to prefer a more formal look. The subsequent 15 day segment had fewer (but still a significant minority) tuxes amongst the gentlemen, yet most wore suits or jackets/blazers and ties. Some men wore jackets without ties. I personally saw no baseball caps on gala night, although others may have. I did see a few in a collared shirt and slacks.

My wife and I enjoyed having a drink at the Pinnacle bar on formal (gala) nights, whether we were dining in the Pinnacle or not, to watch those passing by. It was nice to see those who dressed well and looked good! On Halloween we actually saw some who made the effort to put on costumes--what fun!

Yet, as others have noted, the dress-code is quite relaxed. Gussy up or not as you wish--dress for your preference (within the dress code, of course). Personally, as long as it still fits, I enjoy wearing my tux or, in the Caribbean, my dinner jacket. I may alternate with a blazer depending on number of formal nights and if I want a change of pace.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hello everybody,

What is the suggested dress code on gala nights in the specialty restaurants?

Sorry, if it has been asked before and thanks in advance.

I just wanted the OP to know that the dress code is the same in the specialty restaurants as the MDR. This has always been the case, even though the dress code has gone through some changes.

The Lido buffet has a more relaxed dress code.

I haven't seen anywhere on a HAL site that gives footwear suggestions for evening dining. Everyone talks about clothes. I just remember someone ragging on another passenger for having on flips flops at dinner. I am not interested in what someone THINKS someone else should wear, but what comes from the "mouth" of HAL itself. I mean, women wear those "strappy" flat sandals at night - they are basically nothing more than blinged-out flip flops ;) But, if a man comes in wearing a pair of OluKai's with his pants, the noses go up in the air...

I haven't seen anywhere on a HAL site that gives footwear suggestions for evening dining.

Since I've been sailing on HAL (long time), I've never known them to address footwear in any of the various dress codes they've had.

Many of HAL's passengers have foot problems, and need special shoes. It's hard to have a code that would cover all those possibilities. Once there was even a couple who boarded with a suitcase (or 2? or 3?) filled with slippers to wear. He even had slippers that coordinated with his tuxedo!

I often wondered if the slippers were because of a foot problem. If so, his solution showed a great sense of humor and creativity.

Since I've been sailing on HAL (long time), I've never known them to address footwear in any of the various dress codes they've had.

Many of HAL's passengers have foot problems, and need special shoes. It's hard to have a code that would cover all those possibilities. Once there was even a couple who boarded with a suitcase (or 2? or 3?) filled with slippers to wear. He even had slippers that coordinated with his tuxedo!

I often wondered if the slippers were because of a foot problem. If so, his solution showed a great sense of humor and creativity.

Thank Ruth. I have an issue due to the result of a shattered lower fibula with the tibia dislocated at the ankle suffered about 8 years ago (on vacation in Italy). The resultant "frankenstein" hardware still in my ankle and leg limits the mobility of the ankle and acts as a daily reminder of that vacation. No heels higher than my cowboy boots for me. I even wear Dansko Pro clogs with my business suits at work since I'm always standing. I always felt sorry for guys who had to go with loafers or lace shoes at night - they should be able to bare the feet like the women do - equal rights and all ;)