Luggage Locks

CruiserShip3

I hardly ever lock my luggage. If you are flying only use TSA locks, otherwise they may break the lock if they need to inspect your bag. If you are just checking in to cruise ship it doesn't matter... if they need in your luggage they will hold it till they get you to open it. Never put valuables in your checked luggage either way. Medications, money, electronics, passport, etc should always be in your carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok Thanks. The reason I asked was because my Aunt and Uncle are coming with me and my parents and they have flown before so they know to have TSA locks. But they never took a cruise as we and just wondering about getting on the cruise. They will be taking a check bag. No carry on's. They decided to take only one bag which they will check.

LOCK your bags that aren't in your hands! Would you leave your home or car unlocked??? Of course not! LOCK YOUR BAGS! You do NOT need TSA locks...it's not a law! Use any good lock!

We do not lock our bags since our valuables are in our carryons.

We also do not lock our car. In fact we leave the keys in the car in our rural unlocked garage. We also do not lock our house if it's daytime, even if we're away during the day. In our rural area we have trust. I'm sorry you don't.

If you lock your bag, it might not be the law to have a TSA lock but if TSA wants to inspect your locked bag they'll cut off the lock since they don't have the key.

Ok Thanks. The reason I asked was because my Aunt and Uncle are coming with me and my parents and they have flown before so they know to have TSA locks. But they never took a cruise as we and just wondering about getting on the cruise. They will be taking a check bag. No carry on's. They decided to take only one bag which they will check.

They should bring at least a purse or backpack and keep their valuables with them. Travel locks are very easy to break if someone was inclined to. Cash, passport, medications, and electronics should stay on their person when traveling and in the safe on the cruise.

And true enough, TSA locks are not required but if a dog alerts on your bag or they see something funky on the x-ray, do you really think your lock is going to keep TSA out of your bag? You will just get it back with no lock.

And if you do have the titanium lock of locks, do u think they will your a bag on the airplane if something is funny with it and they can't inspect it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

LOCK your bags that aren't in your hands! Would you leave your home or car unlocked??? Of course not! LOCK YOUR BAGS! You do NOT need TSA locks...it's not a law! Use any good lock!

A thief cannot pick up my house or car and walk away with it, and luggage locks will not prevent that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

More questionable advice.

Not so questionable in my books. If I'm handing off my possessions to someone unknown and they are going to be out of my control for a period of time, I lock my bags.

Yes, even though it's "just clothes". I don't pack electronics, medications, travel documents in my checked bags.

Not so questionable in my books. If I'm handing off my possessions to someone unknown and they are going to be out of my control for a period of time, I lock my bags.

Yes, even though it's "just clothes". I don't pack electronics, medications, travel documents in my checked bags.

I was referring to the advice about using a non-TSA lock. I always lock my luggage.

I see no reason to lock my bags, personally. But if I did, I would use TSA locks. I have nothing to hide, and if someone so desperately feels the need to steal my underwear, I'm ok with them taking it. Anything I truly care about is on my person. If the cruise line wants to further inspect your bags, they will pull you aside and have you open them.

I travel a lot for work. I use TSA locks all the time. A lock will keep honest people honest. If they want to get into my stuff they can easily break the lock. But from the time my bags leave my sight I will know if my belongings have been messed with. Also, you can lock things in your bags that will not fit in the safe.

Enjoy your trip.

JoeRum

Another question is running through my mind. Does the luggage locks have to be locked or should I just leave them off?

Many people do not lock their luggage. I am sure someone will post a link to one or more videos showing how easy it is to get into a locked suitcase. Doesn't even require fiddling the lock.

If one does lock luggage a TSA approved lock is advisable.

I always lock my luggage. It shows my intent to keep others away from my belongings. Will not stop a thief. May encourage the casual browser to look in a different bag. And it may help in the prosecution of someone caught stealing.

Edited by broberts

Do you travel much? Are you aware that checked bags are often opened? Sometimes because the TSA agent can't read the X-ray, sometimes because they just randomly pick a certain number of bags to open. If you do not have a TSA lock, the "any good lock" and/or closing mechanism (zipper, clasp, whatever) will be forced open so that they can do their inspection.

On board, with or without TSA or other locks, they will not open your bag no matter how suspicious it seems to them. They will simply hold it. Other people will get their luggage delivered, you will have a notice delivered that you need to go to the security area whereupon they will have you open the bag for their inspection.

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Advise them to take hand luggage too. Apart from the fact that they should keep valuables with them, your luggage is not delivered to your cruise ship cabin for several hours. It's sensible to have a change of clothes, swimming costume, a book, anything they may want for the first afternoon on board in a carry on bag.

Edited by SquishTheWhale

If they are not taking any carry on bag, where will they carry their must have items such as medications, electronics, jewelry, etc?

DON

I don't lock my bag with a lock. However, I do put a tie wrap, zip tie, or whatever you want to call it to hold the zipper pulls together. After picking up my bag off of the baggage carousel with it nearly half unzipped, I decided I couldn't afford not to do something. Luckily I didn't lose anything.

Luggage locks don't keep anyone out. A ballpoint pen can open your bag in about a second.

On our first cruise in 2013, I didn't know about what should for sure be carried on. I packed my nebulizer machine in my main suitecase, meds in carry on. That suitecase was delayed in getting to our room until that evening. In the meantime they sent me a letter telling me to call a number. Because it was locked. They asked me what the box was in my suitcase. I told him what it was and they sent it right up.. Then explained to me that item has to be checked out to make sure it has not explosives or illegal residues on it. They were very nice to me. When it arrived to the cabin they checked it after I opened it and left. What is so odd is, I had talked to customer service many many times about the things I had to take with me and they told me to put it in the luggage and I could lock it with no problems..

So now I leave my nebulizer in the van, carry all my own tubing and meds for it and hope I don't need it. Second cruise didn't need it, just used inhaler.

Learning to pack less and more efficiently.

I will still use my TSA locks no matter, it just makes me feel better.