Review:very positive reflection. W. Caribbean

Seapoint

We did the Western Caribbean on Celebrity Reflection the week of December 17 to 24. We are Elite Plus and have done some 20 cruises on Celebrity, and this was one of the best :). Contrary to what we have read on many threads, we felt that Celebrity has innovated and in some ways raised their game.

This cruise was a big improvement over our last Celebrity cruise, which was a couple of years ago, also on the Reflection. On that cruise, the rap and hip-hop DJ music was so loud at the pool and in the lobby, that you could not escape it. Many passengers complained to the cruise director of that cruise, who arrogantly said if you don't like it, try another line, as Celebrity is focusing on a very young demographic.(He wrongly assumed loud = young!)

So that's what we did for the past few years.. sailed on other lines.

However, we decided to give Celebrity another chance, and were very happy with the music and entertainment on our recent cruise. Maarten the cruise director was high energy and did a great job creating a fun party atmosphere.

EMBARKATION:Embarkation in Miami took a few minutes, and we were on board, having lunch in Luminae. At lunch we realized that our "Best" package was not shown on our ship cards . We went to Guest Relations, and sure enough they had no record that our booking included OBC, gratuities, unlimited free internet and the premium drinks package! :eek:. We had booked directly with Celebrity, and immediately phoned them. I am pleased to report that after a full hour on the phone with Brandon, the matter was resolved. Fifteen minutes after the call Guest Relations got an email from HQ authorizing the perks. This was the only issue we experienced on the cruise, and felt Celebrity solved it politely and effectively. (Of course, the problem should not have occurred in the first place).

STATEROOM: We had a Sky Suite (2136) which was in great condition, well maintained, very comfortable and very spacious. When we booked, we were concerned that being on Deck 12, below the pool, the cabin would be noisy. It was absolutely quiet. We would book it again.

ENTERTAINMENT:We felt that there were improvements compared to our previous Celebrity cruises. Music was energetic, but not unacceptably loud, and was appropriate to the demographic on board and to the Caribbean. The same-old-same-old Broadway shows were replaced with more contemporary productions (but not to everyone's taste). The cruise Preview and Review shows on the first and last night were replaced with some real entertainment. The party in the Solarium (Liquid) and in the foyer with the balloon drop were a lot of fun. Even the enrichment lectures related to the region (Pirates of the Caribbean). In particular, we appreciated the Silent Disco at the pool! What a great way for everyone to have fun, without disturbing others. Pity they did not use the earphones for the officers vs pax pool volleyball.

FOOD: We had all dinners in Luminae, which we felt was equal to Blu and the speciality restaurants. Had no delays ever getting a table. The room is really beautiful, and service was outstanding. Typically, dinner took about an hour. I will say that selection on the menu is very limited - 4 starters, 4 mains, 2 desserts. However, you can also order off the MDR menu. Some menus lacked balance, for example one evening 3 of 4 starters were fish. Desserts were generally disappointing.

We did notice an improvement in the Ocean Cafe at lunch. Curries in particular were good. We also saw some innovation which changed from day to day..for example a cup cake section, a donut section, a pate section etc.

PORTS: We believe that "the best islands in the Caribbean are the ones with propellers". We stayed on the ship in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth. Weather was great, and we had the ship's pool to ourselves. It was like being at a private first class resort! We went to Barefoot Beach on Labadee, and had a wonderful beach day.

DISEMBARKATION: We had a flight from Fort Lauderdale at 11.30AM. (The ship docked in Miami). We had breakfast in Luminae, and got off the ship at 7.30AM. By 8.30AM we had gone through security at Fort Lauderdale Airport!!! Very quick and smooth.

In summary, we are very pleased we did this cruise on Celebrity, and certainly look forward to sailing with Celebrity again.

Edited by Seapoint

Thx for the review ... we're on the Reflection in a week. About the Silent Disco at the pool, we like a Caribbean style band at the pool, maybe some steel drums ... was this headphone music old style disco?

And did you feel that drink service on the drinks package was prompt?

"we like a Caribbean style band at the pool, maybe some steel drums."

So do we - nothing sets the mood and says cruise fun and island vacation like hearing that! Such a bummer that they won't play a little more during the day by the pool, mixed in with all the oldies, top 40, and rap.

Edited by Flafun888

Seapoint

Can you tell me what transportation you took from Miami to Ft Lauderdale?

Thank You

We had #6 luggage tags. We had breakfast at Luminae at 7AM, and disembarked at 7.30AM. Luggage was on the carousel, and very short line through immigration. Maybe 10 to 15 minutes to get off ship, get luggage and clear immigration. We were going to get Uber, but there was a line of taxis waiting so we opted to take one. Took about 30 minutes to get from Miami Port to Fort Lauderdale airport. We used outside bag check. We were Pre Chek for security. By 8.30 were through it all and at our gate.

In retrospect, Uber may have been much less expensive than the taxi.

Edited by Seapoint

Thx for the review ... we're on the Reflection in a week. About the Silent Disco at the pool, we like a Caribbean style band at the pool, maybe some steel drums ... was this headphone music old style disco?

And did you feel that drink service on the drinks package was prompt?

The silent disco with the earphones happened only once or twice at the pool. I dont know what music was playing, but there was a big crowd on the dance floor at the pool who seemed to be having a great time. At one stage they sang parts of YMCA! As someone who hates being blasted with loud music at the pool, I felt that it was a great solution which met the needs of all passengers.

Generally, music at the pool on this cruise was a good mix. A huge contrast with our horrible experience on the Reflection a couple of years ago, which I mentioned in my original post.

However, there still was the unnecessary ultra-loud screeching when the entertainment staff hosted the pool games. Hardly consistent with "modern luxury".

Bar service in Luminae was great. Bar service at the Martini Bar was not! On prior cruises, the barmen at the Martini Bar were great showmen with a fun personality. On this cruise they seemed disinterested, and played "avoid the customer". Service at Sunset bar was ok....nothing special, but ok.

Edited by Seapoint

Are you saying you took a Lyft from the port of Miami to Ft. Lauderdale for $13.50?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is correct ! I did it both directions and tipped the drivers $5. In fact at home that night the ride by cab to my house is $30 to $35 but it cost me $20 plus tip with lyft. On their app you can get the cost of the trip by type of car and where you are going before you order. They picked me up no longer than 5 minutes each time. You wont be sorry! Bob