Princess Star or Grand? Same itinerary to Hawaii

bbunch04

Star or Grand to Hawaii Dec 2017? We cruise during the holiday season with our two sons, aged 22 and 25. We usually do the the Caribbean but decided on Hawaii this year. We are from CA and can easily get to either port, (LA for Star or SF for Grand). Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks in advance,

bbunch04

Star or Grand to Hawaii Dec 2017? We cruise during the holiday season with our two sons, aged 22 and 25. We usually do the the Caribbean but decided on Hawaii this year. We are from CA and can easily get to either port, (LA for Star or SF for Grand). Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks in advance,

bbunch04

There are a couple of threads on this very question.

Here is one...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2355541&highlight=star+or+grand+to+hawaii

We would pick the Star for the simple fact that it still has Skywalkers Bar/Lounge.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I agree about the Star and Skywalkers. Although they are both "Grand" class ships and are pretty much the same, Skywalkers is a great place to spend time both in the day and at night.

Probably the only other consideration is where you want to board; San Pedro (Star) or San Francisco (Grand).

Good luck with your choice. :)

We have sailed both ships to Hawaii from Vancouver. I would give the edge to Star. It seems to be in better shape, and Skywalker's was a plus.

I seem to remember Grand having great pizza in Alfredo's.

I do have a question though. Did the removal of Skywalker's from the Grand make the ship move more in rough weather? Possibly my imagination, but it seemed that the Grand had more movement in equivalent seas.

Both were nice ships, and the extra Hawaiian ambassador stuff is great on both ships.

I would also recommend the Star over the Grand. Within almost one year's time, the Grand has had to fly passengers home from Hawaii. I know others will completely disagree with me but the Grand has kind of seen her better days. The Star is a prettier ship overall. If this doesn't matter to you, sailing out and into San Francisco beats the LA any day.

Within almost one year's time, the Grand has had to fly passengers home from Hawaii.

Just in the interests of accuracy: Princess did not in fact have to fly passengers home. Following a disruption to our port schedule because of a minor fire, a sizable number of pax chose to fly home on Princess' dime. The rest of us enjoyed the second half of a free cruise that got us back to the mainland on schedule.

That being said, I'd choose the Star over the Grand, too.

Just in the interests of accuracy: Princess did not in fact have to fly passengers home. Following a disruption to our port schedule because of a minor fire, a sizable number of pax chose to fly home on Princess' dime. The rest of us enjoyed the second half of a free cruise that got us back to the mainland on schedule.

The Grand recently had to fly passengers home from Honolulu because of damage sustained to a tender dock.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428633&highlight=Grand+injured

That situation doesn't concern me & I also prefer the Star which I'll soon be sailing to Hawaii. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just in the interest of being accurate: I was on the Grand when they had the fire and also on the Grand when the tender door was dragging in the sea after we left Maui (3 weeks ago) and they did fly everyone home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Grand recently had to fly passengers home from Honolulu because of damage sustained to a tender dock.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428633&highlight=Grand+injured

That situation doesn't concern me & I also prefer the Star which I'll soon be sailing to Hawaii. :)

You're right, of course. Brainfart.

Even though the Star is my current favorite ship, but personally I've never been a huge Skywalker's fan, so for me that's not a factor, importantly the Grand does have Alfredo's which with all the Hawaii sea days is a big plus..

I'd take the Grand just for the expanded dining option

Srpilo

Edited by srpilo

Even though sailing under the Golden Gate is always a big plus for us, I would pick the Star over the Grand. We have sailed on both ships and prefer the Star because of Skywalkers, the layout of the stateroom (Grand closets are quite small) and the overall "tired" look of the Grand's atrium area. I will admit that having Alfredo's definitely does give the Grand an edge, but would still pick the Star. Either way, you will have a great trip.

I've sailed on both to Hawaii and since we don't care about Skywalkers, we prefer the Grand because it always seems like the service and the food are better on the Grand (plus it is nice to have one more food option on the longer cruises). However both are nice- kids club is a little bigger on the Star if that matters to you. Both ports are fairly easy to embark from, and it's always a thrill to sail under the Golden Gate- and if you want to explore your embarkation port there is a lot more to see and do in San Francisco (but a much higher price tag to go with the experience) Either way you will have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Grand recently went through a dry dock in Portland. I suspect that they have addressed a number of the wear and tear issues that others have experienced. It is also wearing the new livery that they are applying to all the ships progressively. The Grand also went through a major dry dock in 2011 (sure many years ago now, but the reason that Skywalkers is gone and Alfredo's was added, among other changes). Anyway, yes, the Grand is getting a little old, but with the progressive investments that Princess has made in the ship I don't see it leaving the fleet any time soon.

I sure hope there's a stable future for Grand. I'm headed there to Hawaii 3/10.

We have enjoyed 3 cruises on the Grand last year and going to Hawaii on her this year also.

I'm sure you will have a great time. The crew on this ship is great.

Just in the interest of being accurate: I was on the Grand when they had the fire and also on the Grand when the tender door was dragging in the sea after we left Maui (3 weeks ago) and they did fly everyone home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was IN Honolulu on both occasions. Met the ship/someone when they had the fire and docked in Honolulu. They did NOT fly everyone home in that scenario. It was an option given to the passengers. Some chose to ride the ship back with a very generous compensation package. This past December when they had problems with the tender door, they did have to fly ALL the passengers back.

Saying this, I would choose the Grand for Alfredo's, Window Suites and Golden Gate Bridge. I would choose the Star if I could be guaranteed to have ELUA on board as their cultural ambassadors. Both ships have a reasonable amount of passengers (not over-crowded).

I was IN Honolulu on both occasions. Met the ship/someone when they had the fire and docked in Honolulu. They did NOT fly everyone home in that scenario. It was an option given to the passengers. Some chose to ride the ship back with a very generous compensation package. This past December when they had problems with the tender door, they did have to fly ALL the passengers back.

Saying this, I would choose the Grand for Alfredo's, Window Suites and Golden Gate Bridge. I would choose the Star if I could be guaranteed to have ELUA on board as their cultural ambassadors. Both ships have a reasonable amount of passengers (not over-crowded).

FishinChris was actually on BOTH of those ships for each event. :D

I was on the first one where we were given an option to fly or to sail back. It was one of my more memorable cruises as we stayed on the ship and the crew was outstanding and every one seemed in great spirit.

I agree with you on all of your points except for the Elua ambassadors. Not saying they are inferior by any means as I simply have never cruised with them. I am curious as to whether they are all that much better than the couple who generally cruises on the Grand or do most people simply rave about them because they were the ones they experienced. Can anyone here offer their opinion, not so much in a judgemental way, but compare the two if they have cruised on both ships and with both sets of ambassadors?

FishinChris was actually on BOTH of those ships for each event. :D

I was on the first one where we were given an option to fly or to sail back. It was one of my more memorable cruises as we stayed on the ship and the crew was outstanding and every one seemed in great spirit.

I agree with you on all of your points except for the Elua ambassadors. Not saying they are inferior by any means as I simply have never cruised with them. I am curious as to whether they are all that much better than the couple who generally cruises on the Grand or do most people simply rave about them because they were the ones they experienced. Can anyone here offer their opinion, not so much in a judgemental way, but compare the two if they have cruised on both ships and with both sets of ambassadors?

I will admit that I am a little biased when it comes to ELUA. They are from the Big Island of Hawaii. They are local folks. Leialoha and her husband Dave designed and developed the Cultural Ambassador Program for Princess with CD David Cole. The port lectures are genuine with local places to see and foods to eat. Plus they are really nice people. They bring a rich knowledge of the islands to every passenger on board that chooses to learn about the island's heritage. I can not describe the other couples since I have only cruised with ELUA. I challenge you to take another cruise to Hawaii with them as your entertainers and make up your mind for yourself. Unfortunately, Princess does not offer contracts way in advance so it is very hard to know which ships they will be on. Safe bet is out of Los Angeles...but mark my word...Who knows.

I disagree with Chris. He may have been on both cruises, but December 2015 voyage returned to San Francisco with those passengers who chose to stay on (like you). My only regret is that I was not on either of those voyages.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to butt in but I need some advice regarding the aft penthouse suites on both the Star and the Grand. Is the dreaded aft vent a problem for either/both of these ships?

We are not sailing to Hawaii until 2018 so right now I can get a Caribe Deck aft penthouse suite on either ship. I do remember reading about the aft vent soot/noise issue and just want to make sure we do not have that problem,

any other pros or cons for either ship?

thanks!