Emerald Princess vs Regal Princess

Cahpek

We have been on Regal Princess before but later this year, we are considering cruising on Emerald Princess.

We wonder if anyone who has cruised on both Emerald Princess vs Regal Princess, can relate to us his/her opinions when comparing these two Princess ships?

CABIN - REGAL VS. EMERALD?

Can you tell us what the balcony cabins are like (if you have been in them) between these two ships? We were reasonably satisfied with the Regal Princess as far as the cabin was concerned. We know unlike most other cruise lines, in the Regal cabin layout created a separate "walk-in cupboard" for suitcases and clothes storage, which meant that took some space from the sleeping area. Is that the same with the Emerald Princess

DINING AND MEALS STANDARD - REGAL VS EMERALD?

What are the meals like, both in the main dining rooms and the buffet restaurants? We found on the Regal Princess, the pastry for their dishes (both savoury and sweet) tasted pretty awful - it reminded us of "cardboard". It was as if the chefs added too much water and not enough butter or shortening to make them. The desserts in the buffet were also somewhat average and nothing to write home about - the kitchen seemed to be rather "economical" on providing and cooking with real cream. Although we found the meals on the Regal Princess to be pretty "average" to begin with, but after 4-5 evenings, they got better and better later in the cruise (apart from the pastry, that was awful throughout the cruise and it did not improve!). We remembered in the buffet restaurant on the Regal towards the end of the cuirse, they almost "pushed the boat out" with special meals that included quality ingredients like gigantic prawns and mountain-loads of good quality salmon etc. Is that the same with the Emerald Princess, we wondered?

We think we may have recalled somewhere on Cruisecritic's board that some cruisers indicated that the pastry and desserts were not all the same on all Princess ships. Someone mentioned that on the Royal Princess, their desserts and pastries were much superior than their sister ship the Regal Princess, as the former had an excellent Executive lady chef. So, we are hoping perhaps the Emerald Princess might have a different team of chefs who would be better in making pastries and desserts than the Regal Princess. Are we raising our hopes too much, or should we just not have too high an expectation so that we will not be too disappointed if the cooking is not so good on the Emerald Princess? Will we taste the same "card-board" pastry in dishes on the Emerald Princess like we did on the Regal Princess?

ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT? LAYOUT

Can some of you folks also give us your view on how the entertainment and activities like on the Emerald as opposed to the Regal Princess? Also, does the Emerald Princess have a layout that feels less crowded? We found that on the Regal Princess, it was hard to get away from the crowds. There was difficulty in finding places to sit in the public areas and public lounges. Is this the same with the Emerald Princess as well? How did you experience the boarding/disembarkation procedures on the Emerald Princess - were there almost always long queues?

Also, are staff on the Emerald P. as nice and friendly as on the Regal Princess?

Hope you guys (and gals) can shed some light for us and help us. Thanks.

Edited by Cahpek

We have been on both with the Regal and Royal more recently. I prefer the Emerald or the Ruby. The pool area is much better as is the set up for watching MUTS/ MUTS is at one Lido pool and one quiet pool plus the Spa pool and Terrace pool in the rear.

The inside of the cabins of the two ships are essentially the same. The balconies on the E are much larger and some (Caribe deck) are huge.

I liked the buffet on the R and will eat all of my meals there next week. The ships have the same menus in the MDR.

If you like a quiet reading spot during the day, I liked the Adagio bar on the E. The atrium on the R is much larger but more activities occur there so it can be noisy.

Enjoy your cruise!

Have been on both, most recently Regal last Oct. I'd cruise again on either ship but my personal favorites are the large Caribe deck balconies and beautiful promenade deck on the Emerald. The Regal wins out on the buffet and overall beautiful ship. Yes, the Piazza is larger and noisier but a fun place to hang out.

We did enjoy the theater on the Emerald more, slightly roomier seats and a place for your drink. But really trivial complaints -- as mentioned above, go with the itinerary most appealing to you.

The inside of the cabins of the two ships are essentially the same. The balconies on the E are much larger and some (Caribe deck) are huge.

After posting this I remembered that the R has the Deluxe balcony cabins which are a bit larger than the balcony cabins on E and have a small sofa.

I like the Regal Princess over the Emerald the one thing the Emerald Princess has over the Regal is the adult pool you can stand up in the pool if you are not 5'9". You will see most of the people sitting and standing by the steps going into the pool on the Regal & Royal Princess.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO
  • Like 1

I am not a fan of the Regal/Royal class; I would take the Emerald or any Grand Class ship over the Regal or Royal, which don't have enough deck space or shade or pools for the number of passengers they carry. And the Piazza is used as an entertainment venue instead of a relaxing place to enjoy a coffee and a conversation. The Horizon Court is too large and the Princess Theater and the balconies are too small. Food and service are comparable.

• Like 2

We have sailed on the Emerald and the Regal (Royal too). While I would gladly sail on any of them again, I would choose Regal over the Emerald.

We found the buffet to be superior and we like the large piazza with all the entertainment going on there. Cabins are similar in comparable categories.

Also, like a previous poster stated, crews and chefs move from ship to ship with each contract. So you could sail the same ship again and have a different experience.

But in all our cruises with Princess we have always had great service and had a good cruise.

Also, remember that staff changes, including Executive Chefs.... some are better than others.

As for the crew, they are generally wonderful. I'd sail either ship in a heartbeat.

Especially the recent crew on the Royal compared to the ones on the Emerald.

It was like comparing short order cooks in a local diner on the Emerald to top chefs in a four star restaurant on the Royal.

That one of the main factors we wont sail the Emerald any longer....or at least until they change the cook staff.

Especially the recent crew on the Royal compared to the ones on the Emerald.

It was like comparing short order cooks in a local diner on the Emerald to top chefs in a four star restaurant on the Royal.

That one of the main factors we wont sail the Emerald any longer....or at least until they change the cook staff.

Is the food on the Emerald that poor? Gosh. Maybe we ought to avoid their 30 day Pacific cruise - imagine having to put up with 30 days not enjoying the meals on board.

Edited by Cahpek

I've been on 11 (?) different ships - some more than once. When I order a pastry dish (pie, etc), I just eat the filling. The pastry is always like cardboard. :(

Oh well, fewer calories. :D

If we just eat the filling and leave the "cardboard" pastry, what was the point of the chefs preparing the pastry in the first place? So that they could be left and be thrown away? Surely, Princess cruises do not take pride in passengers leaving food because the cooking is so bad they could not eat them.

We hope that SENIOR MANAGEMENT of Princess Cruises will read this and take this up. It is something they can improve on easily, and at little , if at no extra cost. But as pastry covers so many dishes, both sweet and savoury, just improving the pastry would improve a host of their dishes in just one go!

Edited by Cahpek

Is the food on the Emerald that poor? Gosh. Maybe we ought to avoid their 30 day Pacific cruise - imagine having to put up with 30 days not enjoying the meals on board.

First let me say that we last sailed on the Emerald Feb 2016 and in terms of the crew turnover that was a long time ago. I wouldn't say it was bad but just not up to the same standards as the Regal or Royal. We ate at the buffet all breakfasts, lunches & lots of dinners and there was never a time that something didn't need improvement. Raw veggies, mashed potatoes like soup etc.

Compared to the Royal we were on in Nov we ate dinner at the Horizon 26 out of 30 nights and you couldn't find 1 thing to complain about.

The DR on the Emerald was typically Princess. Nothing special that I can recall.

I think anytime dining is better on emerald.

On Regal / Royal, it just doesn't work.

I still would prefer Regal/Royal, and choose traditional dining.

We didn't have any problems with the Emerald getting into the AT DR, nor the food in the DR. It was mostly the food in the buffet that wasn't up to Princess standards.

On the Royal we used the anytime DR maybe 4 times & it worked OK and food was OK but the buffet was so much better that we just gave up on the DR altogether.

We felt that the buffet was perfect and we couldn't be bothered to return to the DR to spend 1 1/2 + hours eating dinner each night.

We've got no problem in serving ourselves - as a matter of fact it's easier.

I love the Regal and Royal for the buffet and Alfredos. For us many nights we prefer eating in the buffet, and it's nice decor feels more like a restaurant than the other ships. I love seeing the cuts of meat and getting it cooked the way I prefer, putting the amount of gravy I want, making salad the way I like it, etc. The quality and variety of foods is quite good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We've sailed on both. And both are great ships. Our favourite Princess ship's are the Crown Design Grand class ships, so our vote goes to Emerald.

The Emerald - For us, the wrap around promenade deck as a big winner. We also like the position of the Adagio Bar and Speciality restaurant on deck 16 Aft. I also much prefer the position of the Thermal suite, gym, lotus spa, Lotus pool all being in the same vicinity so you can migrate between them easily. There is also the complimentary Sauna and steam bath in both the male and female change rooms, which is missing on the Regal. MUTS is much better set up also on the Emerald for facing the screen.

The Regal - The Enclave is far superior, but the position is isolated from the gym and pool areas. The Buffet as mentioned alot, is far superior, but nothing wrong with Emerald's. Alfredo's is nice and a shame one isn't on the crown design's (Emerald, Ruby, Crown) but not a deal breaker. The sanctuary is also far superior on the Regal, but I found the service much better on Emerald.

I love the Regal and Royal for the buffet and Alfredos. For us many nights we prefer eating in the buffet, and it's nice decor feels more like a restaurant than the other ships. I love seeing the cuts of meat and getting it cooked the way I prefer, putting the amount of gravy I want, making salad the way I like it, etc. The quality and variety of foods is quite good!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also note that the food prep in the buffet & that in the DR's are 2 separate galleys with different crews preparing the food. In Nov we found the prep in the DR to just so-so while that in the Horizon to be outstanding.