How does Carnival know if a child isn't potty trained?

Carleeb12

Pool water on cruise ships - at least the ones I've been on - isn't chlorinated. It's just sea water. I'm not sure if it's continuously cycled or if they drain and fill to cycle the water daily, but they keep it clean through just replacing the water very frequently. It's not like my salt water pool at home that uses the salt through a salt cell to create a baseline chlorine level.

From what I understand it is not continuously cycled. When there is an accident the pool must be emptied, cleaned, and refilled.

Pool water on cruise ships - at least the ones I've been on - isn't chlorinated. It's just sea water. I'm not sure if it's continuously cycled or if they drain and fill to cycle the water daily, but they keep it clean through just replacing the water very frequently. It's not like my salt water pool at home that uses the salt through a salt cell to create a baseline chlorine level.

The only time a pool on a cruise ship isn't chlorinated, is when it is in "flow through" mode, and the ship must be more than 12 miles from shore. The water is continuously pumped into the pool, and the overflow goes out to sea again.

Both fresh water and salt water pools on ships, when within 12 miles of shore, must be in "recirculation" mode, meaning just like your pool at home, the water is pumped from the pool, through a filter, through an acid and chlorine monitoring and injection station, and returned to the pool. Both salt and fresh water pools must be chlorinated to 2-5ppm chlorine at all times when in recirculation. Because it requires the pools to be closed for an hour or so when changing from flow through to recirculation, to get the chlorine levels correct, many ships do not switch to flow through unless there are a couple of sea days in a row.

From what I understand it is not continuously cycled. When there is an accident the pool must be emptied, cleaned, and refilled.

Even if the pool is in flow through mode, as noted above, if there is a fecal incident, the pool must be drained, sanitized, and refilled.

The only time a pool on a cruise ship isn't chlorinated, is when it is in "flow through" mode, and the ship must be more than 12 miles from shore. The water is continuously pumped into the pool, and the overflow goes out to sea again.

Both fresh water and salt water pools on ships, when within 12 miles of shore, must be in "recirculation" mode, meaning just like your pool at home, the water is pumped from the pool, through a filter, through an acid and chlorine monitoring and injection station, and returned to the pool. Both salt and fresh water pools must be chlorinated to 2-5ppm chlorine at all times when in recirculation. Because it requires the pools to be closed for an hour or so when changing from flow through to recirculation, to get the chlorine levels correct, many ships do not switch to flow through unless there are a couple of sea days in a row.

Your level of information never ceases to amaze....

Fascinating. Thank you for the info. Do the add chlorine directly or so they use a salt cell like saltwater pools on land do to generate the chlorine? Just curious.

Fascinating. Thank you for the info. Do the add chlorine directly or so they use a salt cell like saltwater pools on land do to generate the chlorine? Just curious.

No, they use liquid chlorine. The recirculation water passes the chlorine and Ph sensors continuously, and the dosing pumps are adjusted continuously as needed. Chlorine levels and Ph are recorded on 24 hour charts that must be kept for at least a year for inspection by USPH inspectors.

They put some type of chemical in the hot tubs, every time I have tried to us them I get really itchy in 15-20 mins and rash. Same thing happens with any hot tub and even some pools.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

USPH requires ship's hot tubs to be chlorinated way above what most folks do for their own tubs. 8-10ppm chlorine is the required range, and the reason that we get so many complaints about faded swimwear, or swimwear that rots apart when the chlorine eats the stitching thread.

USPH requires ship's hot tubs to be chlorinated way above what most folks do for their own tubs. 8-10ppm chlorine is the required range, and the reason that we get so many complaints about faded swimwear, or swimwear that rots apart when the chlorine eats the stitching thread.

Listen ,they can do and say all they want to. When a person sits in one of those drinking beer hours on top of hours , I ain't getting in it. :eek:

To the OP:

Yes, they do issue arm bands. Wrist bands actually.

Brown wrist band if they are not potty trained.

Yellow wrist band if they are prone to wetting.

Green wrist band if they are good to go!

WHich cruise line is this?

WHich cruise line is this?

I would like to know too. All the wristbands issued to children on Carnival are green and they are solely for the purpose of identifying their Muster Station. They have the proper letter on them so the crew can get them to the same area as their parents.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I believe this topic has been beaten to death... by myself of all people...

I think it ended with nobody agreeing on anything. And that adults with, eh, poor wiping habits are more likely to be contaminating the cruise ship pool than a little child.

Funny enough, when we have pool parties at my house - it's the children who are jumping out and running to the bathroom to pee.... adults will be in there for hours....

Anyways, I'm grabbing my popcorn... these are great threads! Anyone using derogatory statements to insult innocent children yet?

To the OP:

It was an attempt at humor.....

Brown = fecal

Yellow= urine

I got it, not proud that I did but I did.

To the OP:

They are always good to go...go pee go pooh

To the OP:

I can't believe people actually fell for this! :rolleyes: Hahahaha!!! Kudos Roscoe

What's the point of this thread when the OP hasn't even come back to say anything or reply in days? Just post a silly question then leave. Nobody at Carnival can tell if your kid is potty trained or not. The OP really had to ask that?

Edited by cruizinisthebest