Urgent... advice needed

drivers license is enough why worry be happy. Take pp if you need to fly in an emergency.

this is why you have to do your research and not just trust what people on cc say. This post is 100% wrong, and clearly have not been on a cruise ever using only a drivers license... As they would have been denied boarding... You must have as others that have sailed before reported. Proof of citizenship, traditionally a passport but on US closed loop cruises you can use a certified copy of birth certificate.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

I'm also curious to find out how this played out for you. It's so easy to forget with a cruise vacation that you're often visiting other countries.

One time we drove to Portland (2 hours time) and were staying in a hotel when my wife discovered she'd packed the previous passports rather than our new ones. It was a 4-hour turnaround, but fortunately, we were close enough to home to drive back and get the right ones and fortunately she caught it before we left on a plane the next morning.

I hope all goes well for you. It would be really sad to not be able to board because of a technicality like married name change.

Tom

Drivers license is enough Why worry be happy. Take PP if you need to fly in an emergency.

The OP is right to worry. She has a very legitimate concern. And your information is very wrong.:rolleyes:

In situations like this when people don't know what they are talking about they should simply not post. If you had been the only response, and the OP listened to your advice, she would be watching Harmony sail out of Port Everglades from the jetty. This is not an opinion thread. The OP need facts.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Royal gave me the run around. Said they can't change the name because ship manifest was sent over a couple days ago. And they can't say either way if a non-certified print out of my marriage license will do. So I'm having a friend go buy a certified copy of my marriage license and pay $80 to over night it to get here to Fort Lauderdale by 9;30 tomorrow AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One agent said a copy (not certified) was fine. Another said it had to be certified. So we are going to be safe and have the certified copy over nighted.

Great. No one needs this kind of hassle just before starting a long awaited vacation but you don't want to hear the word... denied... tomorrow either. Cover your bases. Once you get aboard you might need a drink! :D

Edited by Ocean Boy

One agent said a copy (not certified) was fine. Another said it had to be certified. So we are going to be safe and have the certified copy over nighted.

Great! Please let us know when you are aboard the ship! Have a wonderful cruise! :D

I believe you could find a notary public and have them certify that the BC is a true and attested copy.

Thought a notary just certifies that the person signing is that person.

How would a notary certify a document is what is appears to be ?

Thought a notary just certifies that the person signing is that person.

How would a notary certify a document is what is appears to be ?

Speaking as a notary, the only way I could do this is to have the original document, make the copy myself and then notorize it as a true and certified copy;)

From what they showed on the special on Oasis where one of the things they show was issues with boarding, they took a fax of a birth certificate. A fax of an original is as good as the original so I would think that would apply to a marriage license also. While it's possible they would take a copy of the marriage license which is only used as a bridge document and not proof of citizenship (passport covers that), why wait til the last minute to find out? 80 bucks is minor in the grand scheme of things.

Not sure why someone would post that a driver's license is enough. Is it ignorance because they've never cruised or just being intentionally a problem?

Edited by BND

My sister has a Enhanced license with married name and and birth certificate with her maiden name . Do I need to bring both and will there be issue.

I believe she would need the marriage certificate as a bridge document between the birth certificate and driver's license.

My sister has a Enhanced license with married name and and birth certificate with her maiden name . Do I need to bring both and will there be issue.

As Clarea said, you would need the marriage certificate to show the change of name. Our marriage certificate is from St. Thomas and we got a "certified copy" that day, but we were mailed the "official" one after the fact that had a raised seal on it. For our next trip I brought both with me because my passport was fairly new but had my maiden name on it. I accidentally used the certificate without the raised seal on it (realized after the fact of course) and everything was fine, but I would not trust that. Make sure all documents brought are "official" which I'm sure varies from state to state (or each country for that matter) and always bring more then you think you would need. And triple check before you leave home!!

OP good luck-on the positive side at least you realized this before getting to the port so you had a little time to play with. I'm sure this isn't the way you planned to start your vacation but it sounds like it will work out in the end. A strong drink on the pool deck always helps to forget the worries :)

OP, count your blessings. You made one mistake but you (a) recognized it early, (b) found a great solution, and © had built in enough time to accommodate a fix.

Plus, you knew where to come for the best answer, despite the amazingly high number of wrong responses. Most posters steered you in the right direction and I hope you have received the necessary documentation now and are on your way. Happy cruise!

WAITING TO BOARD! No one even looked at that $100 over nighted marriage certificate.... they just called the port authority over to double check my passport and said they didn't want to see the marriage certificate. Oh well, worth the peace of mind!! Thank you all for your help!

WAITING TO BOARD! No one even looked at that $100 over nighted marriage certificate.... they just called the port authority over to double check my passport and said they didn't want to see the marriage certificate. Oh well, worth the peace of mind!! Thank you all for your help!

Excellent outcome. Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the update. You know if you didn't have it they would be looking for it, so it was money well spent.

If I was on board I'd buy you your first drink. Enjoy and have a blast. :D