Greetings from Marina

ORV

No real change from the last couple of days.

As far as the Coast Guard inspection Riviera had one last month also when they had their first visit to the US. It was not having any problems, all systems were normal.

Is there something the Coast Guard knows that we don't. Is this really random?

As previously stated the Coast guard inspects all ships porting in the US. It is not a health and sanitation review, that is done by the CDC. (we live in a beaurocratic country).

An officer once told me the coast guard inspects emissions and general sea worthiness. Mass market cruise lines will redeploy overseas or sell very old ships when they cannot pass US emission inspections.

Years ago we boarded a ship in Manhattan the day of a coast guard inspection. Embarkation was delayed for hours. We received no advance warning.

We are on the Marina on deck 9 and yesterday we passed a room service person with a mask and gloves. This is a sign of someone who is quarantined. That morning when we docked in Limon, an ambulance took off a man in a stretcher. The day before we went through the Panama Canal, I saw an older lady leaving the ship with her luggage. I thought that was unusual since the reason we booked this cruise was to cross the canal. Why would someone leave before getting through it? Today, there is a constant hand washing demo on channel 2 and even a discussion with a woman from NCL who is an expert in disease control who got onboard in Panama giving helpful hints on what to do to prevent catching a disease.

I have noticed the same signals as missing salt and pepper shakers and paper menus as had been done when this same ship was infected in October-November. We were worried at that point and looked at our travel insurance. Unfortunately a pandemic is not covered. Who knew that norovirus on a cruiseship is considered a pandemic? So we went on the cruise since we would lose our money. We have been very diligent with hand washing. I hope that it does not get worse for the last few days. I feel badly for anyone infected.

We are on the Marina on deck 9 and yesterday we passed a room service person with a mask and gloves. This is a sign of someone who is quarantined. That morning when we docked in Limon, an ambulance took off a man in a stretcher. The day before we went through the Panama Canal, I saw an older lady leaving the ship with her luggage. I thought that was unusual since the reason we booked this cruise was to cross the canal. Why would someone leave before getting through it? Today, there is a constant hand washing demo on channel 2 and even a discussion with a woman from NCL who is an expert in disease control who got onboard in Panama giving helpful hints on what to do to prevent catching a disease.

I have noticed the same signals as missing salt and pepper shakers and paper menus as had been done when this same ship was infected in October-November. We were worried at that point and looked at our travel insurance. Unfortunately a pandemic is not covered. Who knew that norovirus on a cruiseship is considered a pandemic? So we went on the cruise since we would lose our money. We have been very diligent with hand washing. I hope that it does not get worse for the last few days. I feel badly for anyone infected.

Just for clarification, an outbreak of norovirus is NOT a pandemic.

A pandemic is a large outbreak with worldwide implications (e.g. 2009 influenza was a pandemic as it affected all regions of the earth). An outbreak is an increase in the number of expected cases in a given population and it's designation will vary by the disease in question.

It would seem that way but the travel insurance agent specifically said, it includes an outbreak of norovirus on a cruiseship. You might want to read the fine print on your travel insurance or find one that does not exclude norovirus.

Irrespective of what the fine print on your insurance policy states, norovirus on a cruise ship is not a pandemic.

My family once took a HAL ship that was on full code red coming into San Diego. They spent 4 extra hours cleaning the ship before anyone allowed onboard. No salt shakers/menu covers, etc.

Within 2 days once onboard, everything returned to normal.

It is not Marina or Oceania that has a problem with GI virus, but rather the problem stems from the people onboard not thinking properly when going about day to day business. Whether onshore or onboard, good sanitary habits do not take much effort. The craziest thing is that those who are mildly ill will still casually run about the ship acting as though they are just fine. As we all know, there are quite a few people who still to this day do not equate using the facilities with a need to wash their hands.

Here is to the good health of all those that are onboard now and those of us to be boarding soon! Above all, there is a crew onboard that is really going to feel pressure and my heart goes out to them.

When we did Buenos Aires to Valparaiso Chile with O in 2014 there were mats with disinfectant at several ports as we returned to the ship. I don't remember exactly which ones (could even have been all of them), but this may be standard operating procedure for South America?

At any rate, everyone wash your hands and stay healthy!

My family once took a HAL ship that was on full code red coming into San Diego. They spent 4 extra hours cleaning the ship before anyone allowed onboard. No salt shakers/menu covers, etc.

Within 2 days once onboard, everything returned to normal.

It is not Marina or Oceania that has a problem with GI virus, but rather the problem stems from the people onboard not thinking properly when going about day to day business. Whether onshore or onboard, good sanitary habits do not take much effort. The craziest thing is that those who are mildly ill will still casually run about the ship acting as though they are just fine. As we all know, there are quite a few people who still to this day do not equate using the facilities with a need to wash their hands.

Here is to the good health of all those that are onboard now and those of us to be boarding soon! Above all, there is a crew onboard that is really going to feel pressure and my heart goes out to them.

You're right that too many people don't observe basic hygiene.

But the difficult thing about norovirus is that it's highly contagious and can live on surfaces for awhile. So just touching an affected surface and then touching your mouth can transmit the virus. All people touch their own faces frequently (there are some really interesting studies about how much we do this).

In addition, if a food handler has it and touches your food, it can be transmitted.

So while it is preventable in many cases, it is still often seen in people who are very careful and take many precautions

No real change from the last couple of days.

As far as the Coast Guard inspection Riviera had one last month also when they had their first visit to the US. It was not having any problems, all systems were normal.

If they had one last month why another one so fast. I can not believe that every ship gets a Coast Guard inspection every month. Sounds fishy to me. Something else going on here. Hope I am wrong. :confused::confused::confused:

If they had one last month why another one so fast. I can not believe that every ship gets a Coast Guard inspection every month. Sounds fishy to me. Something else going on here. Hope I am wrong. :confused::confused::confused:

Because last month was Riviera and this is Marina - different ships.

Nothing fishy.

We board on the 22nd jan and have received the e-mail about the late embarkation. Does any one know weather there is a staggered check in process e.g suites and concierge first followed by regular cabins or is it a free for all ? Can imagine the guests all ready to board at 2.00pm.

Edited by not yet fifty

Except your strange ice cream flavor preferences.:D

Don't remind me :D

It was a toss up between the ceviche and the ice cream after as to which one was the culprit. I am still thinking it was the ceviche - I have no trouble staying away from that; but I don't want to give up ice cream :)

We board on the 22nd jan and have received the e-mail about the late embarkation. Does any one know weather there is a staggered check in process e.g suites and concierge first followed by regular cabins or is it a free for all ? Can imagine the guests all ready to board at 2.00pm.

Yes, there will be a staggered check in at the pier based on your catagory, then when on board they will announce again by catagory when each level is ready. In November, we had a problem with gastro and all staterooms were deep cleaned, we did not get into our B 4 stateroom until after 5 pm and then our stateroom was not well cleaned. The remote looked like something you would find in a very cheap motel. Was surprised that Oceania did not have higher standards, but I think they were so overworked with the gastro issues. It is a lot of extra work for the staff.

We were so late that we just had 5 minuted to do lifeboat drill and then missed the CC Meet and Greet.

Sounds like the next boarding will be the same.

We were on Anthem of the Seas in Sept. I loved that they had sinks with hot water and soap when you entered the buffet area. And the lady telling everyone to " washy washy"

Wish all ships had that, better than the purell dispensers. I find it gross when I see ladies leaving the bathroom without washing their hands....ish

Edited by rucruisn2
missed words

You are wrong

They went Lisbon to Rio to Buenos Aires to Valparasio & heading to Miami where they will be inspected

Edited by LHT28

Yes, there will be a staggered check in at the pier based on your catagory, then when on board they will announce again by catagory when each level is ready. In November, we had a problem with gastro and all staterooms were deep cleaned, we did not get into our B 4 stateroom until after 5 pm and then our stateroom was not well cleaned. The remote looked like something you would find in a very cheap motel. Was surprised that Oceania did not have higher standards, but I think they were so overworked with the gastro issues. It is a lot of extra work for the staff.

We were so late that we just had 5 minuted to do lifeboat drill and then missed the CC Meet and Greet.

Sounds like the next boarding will be the same.

I could have written your post. Same exact scenario as we had last February. Our mattress was also upturned. And now we may get to experience that again.. Yeepee! :rolleyes:

I just hope that it's not Noro and a few passengers have the flu. The flu is big right now.

We had the hand sanitizer bottles in our room on our recent Regatta cruise, and the disinfectant mats at some but not all ports. This was in Mexico, and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to which ports the mats were in place and which they were not. They were there in Copper Canyon and La Paz, but not in Mazatlan. Then they were back in Puerto Vallarta but not Cabo.

You are wrong

They went Lisbon to Rio to Buenos Aires to Valparasio & heading to Miami where they will be inspected

If you had read my post at 2:08 today I said I was wrong. I know i was wrong but you were wrong also in not reading all that was posted. Lets both try to be right in the future

If you had read my post at 2:08 today I said I was wrong. I know i was wrong but you were wrong also in not reading all that was posted. Lets both try to be right in the future

Okey Dokey

Sorry I missed the other post I was skimming through the messages :o

Hi there

I think you will find your check in will go fairly smoothly. Oceania are very organized with their arrangements at check in. They have designated lines for the different levels and we have never had a problem. It might be a little worse than usual given the circumstances but I don't think you need worry. Yesterday I saw the lines for boarding a Princess ship! That was enough for me to decide never to go on one of their ships. We always find that boarding is very quick.

Good luck. We are on there quite soon but after you.