Prices rising

Tiggertastic

We've cruised the Xmas sailings for the last 6 years and are booked for 2017 but we're finding massive changes in pricing

2016 was $600 more each for a balcony than we paid for a concierge in 2015, same itinerary and 2 nights less

2017 is $800 more than 2016 for 1 night less than 2016

2018 they want 50% more than 2016 for same number of nights as 2016 - so we're having to consider switching lines for 2018

It's getting way too expensive and were being priced out, I really don't want to go to an inside as the balcony space means so much to our experience for outdoor space

Why are these prices getting so ridiculous, I can get on the transatlantic in April for 13 nights for less than the price increase between 16 and 17

It must be the Xmas demand

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Holiday weeks are traditionally more expensive. Just as the summer months can be. Helps to be flexible but with kids this often isn't possible. We love it now that we are retired and have grown children. There is life after work/kids!!

Why are these prices getting so ridiculous,

Why? supply and demand. If you wait until near the time of sailing, you may be able to get significant savings, but you will have to choose from the cabins that are left over. We always book early to get the best cabin choice and then watch for promotions over the next months. Often times we will get the cabin we chose at a lower price. Right now we have a cruise booked that is 22 months out. The price may drop in the meantime (or it could go up), but will have to ask to get the lower price. Celebrity, or any cruise line, does not automatically give the lower price to you.

OP, I feel your pain. The identical Reflection 14-night Westbound Transatlantic I'm taking this year for $3070 ($219/day, 200% solo supplement) would cost me $1713 more ($341/day) in 2018 for the same cabin (C3). Decided to try Azamara instead (125% solo supplement). As Elite+, I'll be paying only $357 more for a balcony than the 2018 Celebrity fare (that's in total, not per day) for a 17 night cruise which includes gratuities and beverages. If I factor gratuities and beverages (classic) into the 2018 Celebrity price, the per diem would go up to $420; on Azamara it's $302. Celebrity prices and 200% solo supplement don't work for me anymore. BTW, the points I earn on AZ count on X.

OP, I feel your pain. The identical Reflection 14-night Westbound Transatlantic I'm taking this year for $3070 ($219/day, 200% solo supplement) would cost me $1713 more ($341/day) in 2018 for the same cabin (C3). Decided to try Azamara instead (125% solo supplement). As Elite+, I'll be paying only $357 more for a balcony than the 2018 Celebrity fare (that's in total, not per day) for a 17 night cruise which includes gratuities and beverages. If I factor gratuities and beverages (classic) into the 2018 Celebrity price, the per diem would go up to $420; on Azamara it's $302. Celebrity prices and 200% solo supplement don't work for me anymore. BTW, the points I earn on AZ count on X.

Solo cruiser here also, I booked for January 2019 while on board my holiday cruise. Waiting for AZAMARA to publish for same time slot.

By the way I don't really think X wantS us cruising Solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solo cruiser here also, I booked for January 2019 while on board my holiday cruise. Waiting for AZAMARA to publish for same time slot.

Curious as to why you think that Celebrity doesn't want solo cruisers? We pay the same price as two and then we use less of everything on board. I think they love having solos onboard.

Curious as to why you think that Celebrity doesn't want solo cruisers? We pay the same price as two and then we use less of everything on board. I think they love having solos onboard.

You would think they would. Their Solo program is practically non-existent. It has been determined that Solo's do not spend as much as couples or families. I tend to disagree. The fact they don't give us a break on the supplement, like many other lines do. I like X, don't get me wrong. But their prices are going up quite a bit, which is making me look at other options.

Oh, a few items said to me by the head waiter on my last cruise reference me traveling Solo, on a holiday cruise Time frame.

But on the bright side we get double points.

it is called supply and demand.

Agreed.

I've been watching prices on the May 17 Pacific Coastal sailing on Infinity for quite some time. The balcony prices have been ridiculously high, but yesterday noticed a price drop of 40%. For example, Category 2C went from $5319 to $3169 (USD) in one price drop. And the lower fare is compatible with Go Big, etc.

In some cases, it pays to just sit back and wait before pulling the trigger to book.

Not only are the cruise prices going higher but so are the flight prices. I know that the people that live near the departure ports and can easily drive to the port aren't effected but the flights cost is even to the cruise cost for one. We have been sailing X since 1994 and I feel we are also being priced out of cruising.

J.

You would think they would. Their Solo program is practically non-existent. It has been determined that Solo's do not spend as much as couples or families. I tend to disagree. The fact they don't give us a break on the supplement, like many other lines do. I like X, don't get me wrong. But their prices are going up quite a bit, which is making me look at other options.

Oh, a few items said to me by the head waiter on my last cruise reference me traveling Solo, on a holiday cruise Time frame.

I've never had a problem with Celebrity when booking solo (I book Concierge Class). They probably don't give a break on the single supplement, because we are willing to pay 200% for our cruise. You might want to look at Crystal, I pay 35% single supplement for a veranda cabin on that line (they have some promotions for singles, but unfortunately it never fits into my schedule).

I've also never had any crew member make any negative comments to me while traveling solo, sorry it happened to you.

On my cruise this month, someone asked if we got double internet minutes or laundry two times (I'm Elite), I laughed and said no, but we get double points.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Agreed.

I've been watching prices on the May 17 Pacific Coastal sailing on Infinity for quite some time. The balcony prices have been ridiculously high, but yesterday noticed a price drop of 40%. For example, Category 2C went from $5319 to $3169 (USD) in one price drop. And the lower fare is compatible with Go Big, etc.

In some cases, it pays to just sit back and wait before pulling the trigger to book.

Don't know about balconies but current prices for oceanview are almost $2,000 more than what I paid for Oceanview on that cruise a year ago. So last minute prices are not always better than booking early on many popular cruises. On less popular, or some TA cruises better last minute deals often come up.

I am sailing solo on Azamara's 16 night TA Miami to Barcelona on April 2 for approximately $2,600, great itinerary with different European ports and cheaper than some concierge cabins on the Silhouette TA around the same time. Of course those singles deals are long gone on Azamara as I booked months ago but I am now looking forward to a cheaper, longer and more luxurious trip on my first Azamara cruise.:D

Edited by ptrpanpens

Luckily many of us have other options for our vacation dollar. (In the Supply and Demand world they are called Substitutes) This past December we looked at various cruise lines for a Christmas cruise but the prices were all high, particularity after factoring flight costs. We ended up going to a very nice AI in Mexico for at least half less than what a balcony cruise would have been (less than half vs. X). The added bonus was that the AI balcony have a private hot tub on it!:)

Don't know about balconies but prices for category 6 oceanview are double what I paid for the same category on that cruise a year ago. So last minute prices are not always better than booking early on many cruises.

That is often true if you can find decent pricing when a sailing first opens for sale.

Not only are the cruise prices going higher but so are the flight prices. I know that the people that live near the departure ports and can easily drive to the port aren't effected but the flights cost is even to the cruise cost for one. We have been sailing X since 1994 and I feel we are also being priced out of cruising.

J.

I'm finding the exact opposite. I've found wonderfully cheap flight options this year which is allowing us to do three vacations instead of two.

I've never had a problem with Celebrity when booking solo (I book Concierge Class). They probably don't give a break on the single supplement, because we are willing to pay 200% for our cruise. You might want to look at Crystal, I pay 35% single supplement for a veranda cabin on that line (they have some promotions for singles, but unfortunately it never fits into my schedule).

I've also never had any crew member make any negative comments to me while traveling solo, sorry it happened to you.

On my cruise this month, someone asked if we got double internet minutes or laundry two times (I'm Elite), I laughed and said no, but we get double points.

You should get double laundry. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23],

Yeap I was in shock too. It was my first night in the dining room and there had been a mixup with my dining, I was placed on select after being confirmed on Traditional. He never realized how close he was to seeing me explode from his comments. Maitre D took care of it and it was all straightened out the next night.

Your right we are willing pay the 200%, but it is getting a little out of hand on the pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is a little nerving when the dollar doesn't go was far as it used to and one has to make alternate choices or do less with less. Since I love Europe and enjoy cruising on Celebrity, I keep working through retirement to afford to travel to Europe, as it is my favorite place to cruise. I do not like to go into my savings and have decided that for me, at this time, I will keep working to pay for my cruises and not worry about the money being used in a better way. I have worked hard all my life, with an emphasis on learning and traveling. I am not about to stop now, but i know there will come a day that my opportunity cost will change; however, I also believe that by then, I'll be ready...I hope! It has to do with priorities and is really important and worth working for. Another unperceived outcome of this philosophy is that I have more energy and vigor than others close to my age, or at least that is my perception.:eek:

Sometimes you just have to look at things a little differently and make some sacrifices to do what you want and I think I'm a better person because of that...also, there are many ways to make the dollar go farther...don't give up on making your dreams come true and NEVER feel sorry for yourself...just find a way to be happy with the constant changing of prices; book early, off-season, but do not give up!

Edited by Lastdance

As a solo you pay twice the fare but not port fees & gratuties; so the cabin stewards make less, a solo only pays for 1 excursion vs 2 when 2 are sailing in the cabin, same with how many drinks sold, gift shop purchases, speciality restaurants, etc - all of these are profit generators for a cruise line.

I agree 100% and said the same to Guest Relations Manager. However it wasn't always so - JMO.

I am more than happy to investigate alternatives.

Annie

Hi

Sadly I have 'enjoyed' a similar experience especially when I dined in Blu.

Annie

I don't get the price fluctuations. We booked an 11 night concierge cabin in Jan 2016 for Nov. 2017. First the price dropped $100@person. (in April). Then, in November 2017 it dropped $200 @person. Now during Wave season, it has gone up $200@person more than when it originally was booked...with less perks. Also, we generally sail during early Dec, and we have noticed that over the last several years the prices have been steadily climbing.

As a solo you pay twice the fare but not port fees & gratuties; so the cabin stewards make less, a solo only pays for 1 excursion vs 2 when 2 are sailing in the cabin, same with how many drinks sold, gift shop purchases, speciality restaurants, etc - all of these are profit generators for a cruise line.

All true. Except tips and port fees should not enter into the equation. I do take care of my Steward to cover his/her loss. I join fellow cruisers on private excursions, so not everyone does a ships excursion. As for drinks well, they have included the price/cost of a package in each fare. So they profit there. I don't know about everyone else. I have a total cost budget for my cruise. So maybe I will spend less on board, since I have paid double, but I don't have to ask permission.

So yes they still profit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk