Is the photo package worth the $$?

SweetieinVT

I know "worth it" is subjective, but wondering how many opportunities there are for pictures during the cruise that we would be able to enjoy. And does anyone know how much a single picture would cost? We are on Reflection 2/25 and can't wait! TIA.

Most photos are $15 for the 5x7, and $25 for the 8x10.

We got the pkg a couple of years ago. The photographer's get very excited when they find out you have one. They set up poses and really enjoyed getting to be more than a point and click.

We got pics with many from our Roll Call and handed them out. Came home with well over 200 sheets of photos! And the CD which was downloaded to the compute.

We pre bought the pkg for $224.00 about what 10 sheets would have cost doing individual.

IMG_1741.jpg.149c5f66cd897bbd058859cbba4b6805.jpg

FYI,

We were on the Reflection when we did this. Every evening they were set up in 6-8 places. During sail away they roamed the top deck, during dinner, the dining room.

Here is a current live post from the Reflection where they have the pkg and have posted some great fun pics.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2442584

I do think the photo package is a good idea for new comers to cruising. Our last cruise we bought 2 photos and got one free photo with the captain. Yes there are a lot of photo opportunity. Photos are taken at dinner, boarding the ship, each port after getting off the ship, sail away parties, every chic evening also with different back grounds, Photos by the pool.

We have never purchased a photo package, since the price always seemed too much. The few photos that we purchased from the ship's photographer are stashed away somewhere and we never look at them.

On the other hand, I take a lot of photos on our trips and have photos printed for an album for every trip we take. I enjoy going over those photos from time to time.

I know "worth it" is subjective, but wondering how many opportunities there are for pictures during the cruise that we would be able to enjoy. And does anyone know how much a single picture would cost? We are on Reflection 2/25 and can't wait! TIA.

During our Infinity cruise, 8x10 pictures were around $25-$30. I think they are priced to steer you towards buying the unlimited photo package! My wife wanted to get it for this cruise because it meant getting photos of the entire family on this Christmas cruise. So with the 20% Captains Club discount, we went ahead and bought the unlimited photo package for our 15 night cruise.

In general your guaranteed photo opportunities are:

1. Embarkation

2. At ports when you first get off the ship, they have 1 or 2 stations set up at the pier with a prop or a crew member in costume (dolphin, pirate, etc). If the port is a tender port, they often had something set up where the tender drops you off.

3. At-sea evenings there are usually 4 or more stations with different backdrops that you can have your picture taken at.

4. The photographers usually go around the main dining room taking pictures at each table on many evenings, esp formal nights (evening chic, whatever).

There will be photographers when you board, at each port, set up with back drops especially on CHIC nights and roaming the dining room for table photos.

Let them take all they want and just pick the ones you like.

However if you have a decent camera and printer and can find volunteers or tablemates to snap 4 or 5 shots (almost guarantees getting one good one) for you at a few places you can run off a dozen 8 X 10's for what they charge for ONE.

bosco

Now it depends! How do you feel about photographs? There are people who really don't give a hoot about having their picture taken; that's their prerogative. There are people who look for the photo setups on the ship, (backgrounds). And there are people in the middle; everyone has their opinion on this matter. I agree with another cruiser who said they are expensive and they are; $15 for 5x7, $25 for an 8x10. So, that being said, go for a package. With a package you can get all the photos taken plus a CD. Well worth it. We've always gotten a package, (confession--I'm a retired pro photographer) and build a photo album when we get home. Happy Cruising! ;)

Now it depends! How do you feel about photographs? There are people who really don't give a hoot about having their picture taken; that's their prerogative. There are people who look for the photo setups on the ship, (backgrounds). And there are people in the middle; everyone has their opinion on this matter. I agree with another cruiser who said they are expensive and they are; $15 for 5x7, $25 for an 8x10. So, that being said, go for a package. With a package you can get all the photos taken plus a CD. Well worth it. We've always gotten a package, (confession--I'm a retired pro photographer) and build a photo album when we get home. Happy Cruising! ;)

We travel with out two young sons and almost always buy the package. There are lots of opportunities to take pictures, and since we have the package we take advantage of it.

A couple of tips:

1) It is cheaper to buy the package directly from the company that Celebrity contracts with pre-cruise. You can find them at https://www.mycruisephotos.com/. Their regular price is cheaper than what you will find on the ship. I have found that their prices change over time as well. Sometimes they have a sale, sometimes they drop prices as you get closer to sailing. I typically keep an eye on this an will buy a couple weeks before the cruise (unless there is a sale / price drop earlier).

2) If you don't buy in advance and you know you want the package, it is best to buy it the first day or two on the ship. They almost have a special on the all prints + digital package. This generally works about to be a slightly better deal than the Captains Club discount. Once I was able to get the discount on the special price, but that has never worked since

3) Note that their "Studio" sessions are not included in the package. The sitting is free, but those pictures are NOT included.

Mike

Well worth it. We've always gotten a package, (confession--I'm a retired pro photographer) and build a photo album when we get home. Happy Cruising! ;)

I used to do weddings on the Island back in the 70's. Imagine if we had digital cameras and high quality printers back then.

I can remember the separate fridge I had for bulk packages of, If I remember correctly Vericolor S, film for my Mamiya 645 and my backup TLR (Yashica) along with a collection of albums for the different size prints..

No more film for me..LOL

bosco

I used to do weddings on the Island back in the 70's. Imagine if we had digital cameras and high quality printers back then.

I can remember the separate fridge I had for bulk packages of, If I remember correctly Vericolor S, film for my Mamiya 645 and my backup TLR (Yashica) along with a collection of albums for the different size prints..

No more film for me..LOL

Ah! such memories, recall providing 200 or so proofs, now, clients get at lease 1,000. One thing that drives me up the wall, is why the cruise company prints everyone of the pictures they take. Such a waste of photo paper. Why do they print so many?

Thanks for the feedback. So to make sure I got it right, do you get a CD and a printed picture for all the pictures taken?

I believe you only get all prints AND a CD with the unlimited/ultimate package. I think the package below is "all prints" OR the CD.

Photos of us taken by the ships photographers rarely turn out well. We started to take our own pictures on our balcony. It's become a sort of cruising tradition for us. We bring a mind tripod and use the self timer. We have had great fun setting the timer and jumping into place. We have framed some beautiful photos which hang around our home. Spend the money on a nice yet compact camera (waterproof an option) and click away.

Photos of us taken by the ships photographers rarely turn out well. We started to take our own pictures on our balcony. It's become a sort of cruising tradition for us. We bring a mind tripod and use the self timer. We have had great fun setting the timer and jumping into place. We have framed some beautiful photos which hang around our home. Spend the money on a nice yet compact camera (waterproof an option) and click away.

Great idea, and even better if you get a camera with a REMOTE fob. Easier than running back to be in the scene and you can fire off two or three shot to guarantee success. The same goes if you have a friend or staff member take your pictures, ask for a few and pick the best. So wonderful these digital cameras... LOVE THEM.

bosco

If you are VERY photogenic, then all of the pictures they take of you might be worth getting....unfortunately, for me, I always seem too have my eyes closed or making some stupid face.....I've yet to see a photo of me worth buying.

I never buy any photos on the ship because I feel that they are grossly overpriced and photographically of poor quality. I look at the stuff the post in the photo gallery and wonder why anyone would pay money for them. Also, they can not spend the time on the ship to do the retouching necessary to convert an OK photograph to a good one. However, they must sell enough pictures to make it a profitable enterprise. So what do I know?

DON

IMHO, these young kids are professional photographers, if you let them do their job they can do good things with portraits etc. For us a photo package was not needed or wanted,

But for many cruisers with one time or special sailings, it would be priceless.

When we first started cruising we bought a LOT of the photos. I don't remember if there was a package deal, but I do know they didn't have CD's back then. After a few years, we had abandoned putting them in album sleeves and just had a stack of them. We had also taken tons of candid shots on excursions, out on the islands and around the ship. Looking at them, we decided we liked the candid photos better, and besides, we ran out of room to put the 8 x 10s on walls and they are all now in a box.We take our own photos and after every cruise, we do a Shutterfly book.

We travel with out two young sons and almost always buy the package. There are lots of opportunities to take pictures, and since we have the package we take advantage of it.

A couple of tips:

1) It is cheaper to buy the package directly from the company that Celebrity contracts with pre-cruise. You can find them at https://www.mycruisephotos.com/. Their regular price is cheaper than what you will find on the ship. I have found that their prices change over time as well. Sometimes they have a sale, sometimes they drop prices as you get closer to sailing. I typically keep an eye on this an will buy a couple weeks before the cruise (unless there is a sale / price drop earlier).

2) If you don't buy in advance and you know you want the package, it is best to buy it the first day or two on the ship. They almost have a special on the all prints + digital package. This generally works about to be a slightly better deal than the Captains Club discount. Once I was able to get the discount on the special price, but that has never worked since

3) Note that their "Studio" sessions are not included in the package. The sitting is free, but those pictures are NOT included.

Mike

It's running $200 on the site you provided for Reflection sail date of 2/18. Hmm..I wonder if that will drop. I'll watch it over the next 2 weeks and make a decision 48 hours before. Thanks for the tip!

It's running $200 on the site you provided for Reflection sail date of 2/18. Hmm..I wonder if that will drop. I'll watch it over the next 2 weeks and make a decision 48 hours before. Thanks for the tip!

I pre bought for $224 for our last 7 day.