Craziest thing you've seen another passenger do

danielbriere

To each their own....If I'm at McDonald's, it's fingers all the way. If they give me a fork, I use that. But that's just me, I let my membership in the etiquette police lapse many years ago.

Not according to your post to theriac. You said "if they give you cutlery, use it".

Our first cruise was on QE2 and we had to pack quite a wardrobe from tux to shorts and sneakers. Last nite of the cruise we were trying to pack up in 25 mile gale force winds. We discovered next morning that I had packed everyone of DH shoes and he had to disembark in his socks. No one would have noticed had he not pointed out to everyone who would listen what I had done. Ended up with a good laugh through the whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh boy, I did that (and I did not have the excuse of gale force winds!) My husband had to get off the ship in his bare feet because I'd packed all his shoes up the night before. Luckily we were in Hawaii at least so he didn't look too strange.

My wife and I were on the Reflection the 1st year it sailed we went to the Martini Bar and were chatting with another couple at the bar, a 3rd couple comes up, it was not busy and asks for the Martini flight. So the bartender does his magic, pours out all the drinks and the couple just leaves. They did not even touch a glass, I thought that was pretty weird. My wife and the other lady tried to drink them but most went to waste, I tipped the guy a couple of bucks even though we had not ordered it.

The definition of etiquette is the customary code of polite behavior in society. It would seem that reading through this thread that the majority of the reported sightings stem from a lack of etiquette. I am not pointing fingers anywhere other than to point out that society seems to have let this "polite behaviour" slide. There is a distinct "me first" or "I'm more important than anyone else" attitude that has invaded society and as a result, threads like this will continue to proliferate. (but they are funny to read :-) )

The definition of etiquette is the customary code of polite behavior in society. It would seem that reading through this thread that the majority of the reported sightings stem from a lack of etiquette. I am not pointing fingers anywhere other than to point out that society seems to have let this "polite behaviour" slide. There is a distinct "me first" or "I'm more important than anyone else" attitude that has invaded society and as a result, threads like this will continue to proliferate. (but they are funny to read :-) )

Agree totally with this post.

The attitude of some is not helped by Celebrity's choice of the word 'Elite' in the Captains Club levels. Some people think this means they are in some way 'Elite' and somehow superior to the 'cretinous' people who are on their first/second boat trip.

In truth 'Elite' gets you some socks washed and a discount on the ridiculously overpriced internet.

I have a confession. I did use the discount on the 'ridiculously overpriced' internet because SWMBO demanded an unlimited package. Not only is she an elite member she is truly superior.

(to me [emoji12])

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with ⬆⬆⬆that's why so many of us that can remember past days of cruising still long for those days. For instance a dress code that was in forced in MDR and not going to buffet with just a bathing suit. Sure you still saw people with lack of etiquette but at least they didn't seem so intitled

I agree completely.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where does lifting one's left leg and marking their territory around the pool via 4 to 10 lounge chairs come into play? At 7am, to be used no earlier than 10am just as soon as they get to the gym, breakfast, taking a run through the shops, getting a latte THEN sauntering down to their reserved throne for the day to be used at one's convenience.

Of course the derigueur lunch is followed by a much needed nap. Around three would be a good time to return assuming of course Nana did her job and got an equal number of chairs in the shady area.

Ah, traveling with family willing to take one for the team and get up at 7am to get what is rightfully theirs.

Remember the golden rule of cruising: It's my vacation, I paid a lot of money for this trip and I'll do whatever I damn well please, whenever I damn well please. Don't like it? Get your butt out there at 6:30am and mark your own chairs.

Don't be a chump and come out at ten in the morning and expect to find a reasonably decent place to chill. Of course you might consider confiscating one of the dozens of chairs that have been bought and paid for with the sweat and tears of good ol' Nana. But I warn you, never get between an 80 year old matriarch and her ten lounge chairs. Do so at your peril.

Where does lifting one's left leg and marking their territory around the pool via 4 to 10 lounge chairs come into play? At 7am, to be used no earlier than 10am just as soon as they get to the gym, breakfast, taking a run through the shops, getting a latte THEN sauntering down to their reserved throne for the day to be used at one's convenience.

Of course the derigueur lunch is followed by a much needed nap. Around three would be a good time to return assuming of course Nana did her job and got an equal number of chairs in the shady area.

Ah, traveling with family willing to take one for the team and get up at 7am to get what is rightfully theirs.

Remember the golden rule of cruising: It's my vacation, I paid a lot of money for this trip and I'll do whatever I damn well please, whenever I damn well please. Don't like it? Get your butt out there at 6:30am and mark your own chairs.

Don't be a chump and come out at ten in the morning and expect to find a reasonably decent place to chill. Of course you might consider confiscating one of the dozens of chairs that have been bought and paid for with the sweat and tears of good ol' Nana. But I warn you, never get between an 80 year old matriarch and her ten lounge chairs. Do so at your peril.

:rolleyes:

I was just reminding of a dining room story. We were on a 15 night TA and sat at a table of 8 in the MDR. Next to us was a couple who sat alone every night. Probably about 70 and not sure of nationality as they never spoke one word the whole 15 nights and he had the same food each night.. a plate of french fries which he ate with his fingers. I guess he is not interested in trying new foods

I work with a young man who will be "that guy" in his 70's. He literally eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every single day of his life for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, except when he occasionally will go to a fast-food restaurant and get chicken tenders and french fries.

Guess this belongs on the rudest thing to ever happen to me on a ship. Years ago, on my first Celebrity cruise (and my last with unknown table mates) I ordered escargots at dinner, one of my favorite appetizers. The woman next to me asked "What's THAT?" I told her "Snails," to which she replied "Snails, eeww...they better not crawl off your plate onto my plate!" Later that night after the ship's priest who was seated at our table as well told an anti-Semitic joke, and I told him that was offensive, he just shrugged his shoulders. So after dessert we had the maitre d' seat us alone at a table for two.

Ok I have a few...

* We usually like sitting at the same table with the same people, and getting to know them. But that doesn't always work out perfectly... One guy showed up late for dinner every night for the first 4 or 5 nights. We would wait for him, and finally start ordering and then he would show up about the time the waiter was serving the first course. The waiter would spend the rest of dinner trying to get him back in sync with the rest of us. Finally one night, the pax says something about how rude we all are for not waiting for him. I told him if he would come to dinner on time, he wouldn't have to worry about it. He says, Dinner is at (whatever time he said was half an hour later than it really was). I told him, no it's not. Next night and for the rest of the cruise, he showed up on time every night.

* Another time we actually asked to move tables because we were at a table for 8. One couple never showed up the first night. Another pair was two older ladies that complained about how far the table was from the entrance and said they were going to be moving the next night. The third couple was from Switzerland, and although both spoke fluent English, they sat there talking to each other in French all night. We asked to be moved after that.

This isn't about other guests, but struck me as hilarious...

* When we were in Panama, I noticed the "naked indians" in one of the shops inside the port. I figured they were wearing their native costumes, ok. They had bottoms on, but no tops - even the women. No problem. Just a bit before we were all scheduled to be back on board, I decided that I should have bought a certain item I had seen in the port, and ran for the gangplank. I swore to the security people that I would be back in two minutes, and they relented and let me get off (if you've ever tried to get off shortly before "all aboard" you know they don't like to do that!) I WISH I had taken my phone with me so I would have pictures... of the naked indians... getting dressed... in their jeans, t-shirts, and tennis shoes...

* When we went to St Lucia a few years ago, my grandmother and I had signed up for different excursions. Hers ended up being cancelled, and she tried to get on mine but it was sold out. So she went out and hired a taxi to drive her around the island and show her the sights. When we met up for dinner that night, she happily told me, "Did you know they speak Quail here?"

"Quail?" I replied, stunned.

"Yes, Quail."

"Like the bird?"

"Yes, like the bird."

"Who told you that?"

"My taxi driver. I asked him what language they spoke here, and he said 'quail'."

WTH??

We went back and forth for a while, and I finally let it go... but a couple of days later, I finally figured it out... He didn't say "Quail". He said "Creole" in a Creole accent!

Ever since then, we have teased my grandmother about that. And at work (where we have many Haitian employees), they all know what I mean when I ask them to tell me how to say something in Quail.

That's all I can think of for now... Love this thread! Keep 'em coming!

A couple saving poolside lounges by marking their territory with a banana on each lounge, then walking away. Saw them return about two hours later, stare down the current occupants of the lounges and then complain to the pool attendant that those people had "stolen" their belongings and their lounges. Funnily enough, that was the second cruise on which we saw pax using bananas to save lounges!

Edited by lysolqn

Wow! Tighty Whitey's and sagging man breasts. He must be a real chick magnet.

:D We got quite a giggle out of it for sure. It was first thing in the morning. I opened my balcony door curtain and that is what I saw. LOL