Royal Princess- try it, you will like it they said

alohadeck

Don’t criticize the new ship design until you have tried it they said. The new added features will make up for the deleted features they said. Well we tried it and we don’t like it. It’s not horrible, it’s just not a step in the right direction. We have been on Grand Class, Diamond Class, and Crown Class ships in the past and liked them all better than the new class that Princess is building now.

No full promenade deck is a biggie and mentioned by many critics. No aft pool. No sky lounge. Less balcony width. Harder to get a seat in the theater. Dinner in the main dining room seems less efficient. None of our ports required tenders so I don’t know if that is better or worse than other size ships. Launching this size ship with no center stair well was a mistake which has thankfully been corrected.

The larger piazza area is nice. The pool area and top deck seem to be about the same as other classes. The sky walk is a nice feature.

I can’t believe anyone actually thinks this new class is better. I can however see how it lowers cruise fares, there is economy in volume.

Princess I think you are making a mistake. It looks like you are headed in the direction of this new class of ships. After five straight cruises with Princess we will be looking into other cruise lines.

We were on the Maiden Caribbean on the Royal, and are charter members of the "Royal Princess - Great ship - never again" club. Our two favorite cruise activities are walking the Promenade and dancing. The ships have no decent dance floors (Wheelhouse and Explorers are our usually dance hangouts), and no promenade.

I did like the buffet and the TVs in the rooms, but that was about it that was an improvement.

I have not sailed on any of the Royal class ships yet, however just looking at a deck plan and then looking at the cabin classes says this is a very different ship. Different does not mean better. I'm sure there are economies of scale that the new ships enjoy that the older ones can't deliever, but that doesn't mean that the cruise market isn't changing and Princess has to adapt or die.

The problem is that the cruise industry is moving toward larger and larger ships, unless you are a lux line, then it is small-er ship cruising all the time. The lux lines margins are built for small ship cruising. That isn't the case for main lines.

I wonder which cruise line the OP is going to try next. I might suggest HAL, because they have the most mid-sized of ships on the mainline market.

We are booked on the Royal TA in Oct, I have sailed the Regal too, but honestly can't take to these ships like the Crown Class. I think I will miss Explorers Lounge the most, but I also like the way the top decks are devised into completely different area with different atmospheres in each area. I understand Princess could not just keep churning out Crown class ships.

The problem is that the cruise industry is moving toward larger and larger ships, unless you are a lux line, then it is small-er ship cruising all the time. The lux lines margins are built for small ship cruising. That isn't the case for main lines.

Not so.

X's new Edge class ships are downsized versus the recent S Class builds.

Edge Class - 117,000 GT

S Class - 122,500 GT

Don’t criticize the new ship design until you have tried it they said. The new added features will make up for the deleted features they said. Well we tried it and we don’t like it. It’s not horrible, it’s just not a step in the right direction. We have been on Grand Class, Diamond Class, and Crown Class ships in the past and liked them all better than the new class that Princess is building now.

No full promenade deck is a biggie and mentioned by many critics. No aft pool. No sky lounge. Less balcony width. Harder to get a seat in the theater. Dinner in the main dining room seems less efficient. None of our ports required tenders so I don’t know if that is better or worse than other size ships. Launching this size ship with no center stair well was a mistake which has thankfully been corrected.

The larger piazza area is nice. The pool area and top deck seem to be about the same as other classes. The sky walk is a nice feature.

I can’t believe anyone actually thinks this new class is better. I can however see how it lowers cruise fares, there is economy in volume.

Princess I think you are making a mistake. It looks like you are headed in the direction of this new class of ships. After five straight cruises with Princess we will be looking into other cruise lines.

Our sentiments exactly.

Other than the buffet area, we experienced no other improvements. In fact, we felt that Princess took a step backward with the removal of the Explorer's Lounge for what we deem to be a glorified College Lecture Hall (TV Studio).

We love the new Royal class ships and can hardly wait to be on the Majestic in May.....the other ships seem so cramped to us and boring decor...love the photo gallery, buffet, Princess live, the large piazza, Alfredos, the gym can be used at almost any time, the photos on all of the hallways, The Vista Lounge.....what's not to like? We think Princess is going in the right direction and they have NO problems filling the Royal class ships.....hope you enjoy your new cruise line!!

We love the new Royal class ships and can hardly wait to be on the Majestic in May.....the other ships seem so cramped to us and boring decor...love the photo gallery, buffet, Princess live, the large piazza, Alfredos, the gym can be used at almost any time, the photos on all of the hallways, The Vista Lounge.....what's not to like? We think Princess is going in the right direction and they have NO problems filling the Royal class ships.....hope you enjoy your new cruise line!!

If i understand you correctly, if you criticise the Royal you are not allowed to sail Princess anymore

I forgot about the hallway photos. They are pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I totally understand why some do not prefer the Royal class but I am one who loved the Royal when I sailed her about a year after she entered serve. Most all that was taken away really doesn't affect me and I really enjoyed the improvements. I am sailing her again Feb. 28 and am excited to do so. If you really enjoy the promenade that would especially be a let down. I guess that is why they have other ships. Hope you continue to enjoy the other Princess ships!:)

• No full promenade deck is a biggie and mentioned by many critics.

It does have one but one that you can stroll around on.

• No aft pool.

True but what was wrong with the Retreat pool? It's just on the other end of the ship.

• No sky lounge.

That's been missing on a few ships recently.

• Less balcony width.

Only if you choose one of those balconies.

• Harder to get a seat in the theater.

No different than any other Princess ship I've been on.

• Dinner in the main dining room seems less efficient.

I couldn't see any difference. No better, no worse.

• None of our ports required tenders so I don’t know if that is better or worse than other size ships.

Yes they have more passengers but it seemed the same.

• Launching this size ship with no center stair well was a mistake which has thankfully been corrected.

Since it was corrected in Nov,- nothing to complain about.

See above.

We have sailed the Regal and Royal and we like its new additions. We like the Ocean Terrace and Seafood Bar, and the Bellini's Bar. Gave us a lot more choices to hangout at the atrium after dinner. We also like to frequent the Seaview Bar and walk around the fountain pool. We will be back.

Everyone likes different features on a ship. I personally love the Royal Princess. The Promenade deck, aft pool, Skywalker's, and balcony width mean nothing to me.

FYI, the center stairs were always there and have now been finished for passenger use.

I, too, enjoy the Royal, even though I've only sailed on her once but it was for 15 days, and I think I got a good feel for where everything is and what I wasn't missing. I've cruised Grand class ships more than a dozen times and I welcomed the change. Yes, having a promenade can be a major plus but less necessary when on a heavy port itinerary. The other additions to the indoor spaces makes up for it. The dining options are superior, as well.

I would be overjoyed if one of the Royal class ships came to the west coast and gave us "lefties" a change of pace.

Edited by iceleven

I'm sure there are economies of scale that the new ships enjoy that the older ones can't deliever, but that doesn't mean that the cruise market isn't changing and Princess has to adapt or die.

It's not just scale. Princess is obviously coming up with more and more ways for passengers to spend their money onboard.

From what I recall, the Royal's Promenade deck is more inward-looking, glimpses of the ocean replaced by upscale shops. It's the ship-as-shopping-mall model. On the BIG other hand, the per-day fare for my Mexican Riviera cruise last month was pretty much what I paid for a Mexican Riviera cruise a decade ago. Nobody is forcing me to buy Effy rings, play Bingo, or buy the boozecard, so more power to those who do; you're underwriting my fare and keeping up the price of my CCL stock.

The worrisome thing is when Princess takes the Island-remodel tack and actually reduces non-revenue-producing public spaces in favor of more money-making stuff. Or gimmicks: does anybody actually love the light-and-water shows? Or even watch 'em?

It is a great thing there are options for everyone. I loved the Regal, sister ship to the Royal. Yes,,I do like the aft areas on the Grand Class a little better. But, I felt there were so many things to love about the Regal. I can't wait to get an opportunity to sail a Royal class again.

Not so.

X's new Edge class ships are downsized versus the recent S Class builds.

Edge Class - 117,000 GT

S Class - 122,500 GT

Very nice... smaller ships, more passengers. :rolleyes:

It's not just scale. Princess is obviously coming up with more and more ways for passengers to spend their money onboard.

From what I recall, the Royal's Promenade deck is more inward-looking, glimpses of the ocean replaced by upscale shops. It's the ship-as-shopping-mall model. On the BIG other hand, the per-day fare for my Mexican Riviera cruise last month was pretty much what I paid for a Mexican Riviera cruise a decade ago. Nobody is forcing me to buy Effy rings, play Bingo, or buy the boozecard, so more power to those who do; you're underwriting my fare and keeping up the price of my CCL stock.

The worrisome thing is when Princess takes the Island-remodel tack and actually reduces non-revenue-producing public spaces in favor of more money-making stuff. Or gimmicks: does anybody actually love the light-and-water shows? Or even watch 'em?

We liked the Promenade on Regal because it was fairly quiet. Nobody walking by, very comfortable. We walked upstairs on the running track. Very nice views from there.

And yeah, we watched a couple of the water shows. They were fun.

Are the ships perfect? No ship is... although I'd love to have Sapphire Princess back on the West Coast, but we certainly enjoyed our time on Regal.

I have not sailed on any of the Royal class ships yet, however just looking at a deck plan and then looking at the cabin classes says this is a very different ship. Different does not mean better. I'm sure there are economies of scale that the new ships enjoy that the older ones can't deliever, but that doesn't mean that the cruise market isn't changing and Princess has to adapt or die.

I wonder which cruise line the OP is going to try next. I might suggest HAL, because they have the most mid-sized of ships on the mainline market.

We have recently tried the HAL Niuew Amsterdam. We wanted to see what this "smaller"ship would be like. We followed up several months later with the Coral Princess. No comparison. For the first time in many years, we were counting down the days, until our cruise on the Niuew Amsterdam ended. Certain HAL is not worth the money.