Royal Princess- try it, you will like it they said

alohadeck

We are booked on the Royal out of Barcelona in October... will be first time on new Royal class. I am not expecting a lot, as we have cruised on a similar designed ship with the Celebrity cruises... we are elite on Princess and Celebrity. We cruise Holland America and Cunard as well.

I do care about no promonada deck, smaller balconies, no dance floor... but do enjoy TAs, so thought 15 days would give us a good opportunity to check out the new ship design on Princess. I am concerned that the Crown Grill is along side a bar, less private,on the Royal, will check that out... as we have decided we like to eat at the Crown Grill most nights.

In the fare price we can afford, i.e., we book a mini... cruise lines are building bigger... on Celebrity we tried because we liked the ports the Equinox, Eclipse, Silhoutte... we found the MDR over crowded and decided instead to opt for the buffet, on one cruise we tried their upscale Blu dining room... did not feel it was work the extra charge... similar to the new Club Class on princess only with separate dining room. See similar direction on HAL... new ship similar design... only HAL has now cut having a bath tub in all but suite cabins on the new ship ... the bath tub is another thing we enjoy - that's why we book a mini on Princess.

So we are going to check out the Royal... will see. Have no plans to cruise Celebrity bigger ships anymore, will ship HAL's new ship... if we do not like the Royal after trying it will stick with the older Princess and HAL ships which have a lot to offer us. So at our age, 70/85 there will enough options to keep us going for a while.. Happy Cruising.

I can’t believe anyone actually thinks this new class is better. I can however see how it lowers cruise fares, there is economy in volume.

It does not lower cruise fares.

o Princess has higher pricing on the newer ships such as the Royal and Regal.

o Passengers who like Ocean View cabins must pay the higher price of a balcony cabin if they want a view of the sea from their cabin (other than on the TV channel showing the web cam).

What this new class of larger ships does is reduce the number of ports that can support the number of passengers they carry. Many of the great itineraries that Princess had no longer exist with the larger ships.

Have never been on the Royal, but ready for take two on Regal. I love the design of the Regal. We usually stay on the upper decks and enjoy the far forward cabins (huge balcony) or the aft cabins (larger balcony). I enjoyed the larger piaza and the expanded retreat pool with bar. The buffet on these ships can't be beat. Skywalkers is one of my favorite places on the Grand class, but I did not miss it on the Regal as there were equally enjoyable spots. I utilized the walking track up top instead of the Promenade deck. It is great that there is different classes of ships to cater to different tastes of passengers.

We liked the Promenade on Regal because it was fairly quiet. Nobody walking by, very comfortable. We walked upstairs on the running track. Very nice views from there.

I meant the interior of the Promenade deck. My memory of the few outdoor areas on 7 was that there was extremely limited space with a few loungers apiece…and they were always filled. And the running track can be nice during good weather, but is very exposed to wind and/or rain.

We are booked on the Royal out of Barcelona in October... will be first time on new Royal class. I am not expecting a lot, as we have cruised on a similar designed ship with the Celebrity cruises... we are elite on Princess and Celebrity. We cruise Holland America and Cunard as well.

I do care about no promonada deck, smaller balconies, no dance floor... but do enjoy TAs, so thought 15 days would give us a good opportunity to check out the new ship design on Princess. I am concerned that the Crown Grill is along side a bar, less private,on the Royal, will check that out... as we have decided we like to eat at the Crown Grill most nights.

In the fare price we can afford, i.e., we book a mini... cruise lines are building bigger... on Celebrity we tried because we liked the ports the Equinox, Eclipse, Silhoutte... we found the MDR over crowded and decided instead to opt for the buffet, on one cruise we tried their upscale Blu dining room... did not feel it was work the extra charge... similar to the new Club Class on princess only with separate dining room. See similar direction on HAL... new ship similar design... only HAL has now cut having a bath tub in all but suite cabins on the new ship ... the bath tub is another thing we enjoy - that's why we book a mini on Princess.

So we are going to check out the Royal... will see. Have no plans to cruise Celebrity bigger ships anymore, will ship HAL's new ship... if we do not like the Royal after trying it will stick with the older Princess and HAL ships which have a lot to offer us. So at our age, 70/85 there will enough options to keep us going for a while.. Happy Cruising.

I started cruising with Princess back in the 60's I am Elite. I love small ships the Pacific Princess is my favorite ship, then the Diamond and Sapphire.I tried HAL and Celebrity did not like them. I cruised with Royal Viking and loved it. Cruised with Crystal and liked it. Going to try Royal Princess in april , but already missing the sauna as on the other ships and the promenade deck but I reserve my opinion until after that cruise

I am concerned that the Crown Grill is along side a bar, less private,on the Royal, will check that out... as we have decided we like to eat at the Crown Grill most nights.

No worries about Crown Grill, just ask for a table away from the front. Those are the only ones that are next to the bar area. There's actually not a lot of noise from the bar, other than occasional music from entertainers. But that music tends to be jazz, steel drum or piano so it's not very intrusive. Enjoy your time on the Royal, we love her!

Everyone likes different features on a ship. I personally love the Royal Princess. The Promenade deck, aft pool, Skywalker's, and balcony width mean nothing to me.

FYI, the center stairs were always there and have now been finished for passenger use.

Our first princess ship was the Caribbean, and we loved it. Sailed on the Royal last year, the Regal last month,.love them both, but do agree the center stair issue is a problem, and one that is being corrected. I guess just not as particular as others- I'm on vacation, on a cruise, and I'll have a great time no matter what.

I love both class of ships for the various pros that have been mentioned. The new class will get my business first because I love to eat and the selection is so much better on the Royal/Regal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's 1 big plus for the new ships despite all the little negatives.

Don’t criticize the new ship design until you have tried it they said. The new added features will make up for the deleted features they said. Well we tried it and we don’t like it. It’s not horrible, it’s just not a step in the right direction. We have been on Grand Class, Diamond Class, and Crown Class ships in the past and liked them all better than the new class that Princess is building now.

No full promenade deck is a biggie and mentioned by many critics. No aft pool. No sky lounge. Less balcony width. Harder to get a seat in the theater. Dinner in the main dining room seems less efficient. None of our ports required tenders so I don’t know if that is better or worse than other size ships. Launching this size ship with no center stair well was a mistake which has thankfully been corrected.

The larger piazza area is nice. The pool area and top deck seem to be about the same as other classes. The sky walk is a nice feature.

I can’t believe anyone actually thinks this new class is better. I can however see how it lowers cruise fares, there is economy in volume.

Princess I think you are making a mistake. It looks like you are headed in the direction of this new class of ships. After five straight cruises with Princess we will be looking into other cruise lines.

The buffet makes up for everything.

I am one who does not care for the Royal/Regal, but would go on them again if they were going where I wanted to go. Many say it's good that there are different ships to meet everyone's preferences. However, the ships I like best (Coral, Sapphire, Diamond) are not currently going where I want to go, so it does not help me that they are options. Embarkation port is also a major consideration, because although I know I have to fly to get to some of the places I want to go, I dislike flying today and try to avoid it. I really dislike very long flights to get to far away places, and prefer to cruise a little closer to home. Wish they would mix up where each ship goes every few years.

I really miss the promenade deck on Royal/Regal. Walking up on the running track isn't always enjoyable if there are others running the track and you feel like you are in the way. As for the larger atrium with more options, I find it to be mostly revenue generating options, I don't think it adds much space to enjoy shows or activities or seating at the International Cafe. I really dislike the mostly small balconies, because I like to spend a lot of time enjoying my balcony and the sea views I have paid for. I also really miss the aft pool, one of my favorite spots to enjoy a cocktail.

As others have said, all ships have positives and negatives. But, I really wish Princess would listen to the feedback from passengers, and build ships that incorporate the things the majority of passengers want. I think everyone loves the new larger buffet, myself included. Why can't they design a new class of ship with the larger buffet, a walkable promenade, an aft pool, a larger theater, and more seating in the main dining rooms. That would be one great ship!!! I would guess almost everyone would love a ship that incorporated all of those things. Maybe their next class of ships will. For now, I am cruising on multiple lines for various reasons. Still enjoy Princess, but discovering other lines that have nice options, too.

We were impressed by the buffet on Royal. DH would have eaten three meals a day there if I'd let him.

The balconies are shallow, but were able to sit facing out with no trouble.

I sure wish Princess would build a ship with some of the things that are missing on Royal, but include the larger buffet and IC and the Promenade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wish they would mix up where each ship goes every few years.

As others have said, all ships have positives and negatives. But, I really wish Princess would listen to the feedback from passengers, and build ships that incorporate the things the majority of passengers want.

I also wish they'd mix up the ships more - although I do like having the Ruby on the west coast now. I miss the Sapphire and Diamond.

After we did our short cruise on the Royal, DH got a call from Princess about his very critical survey. They did say that the comments on the preliminary cruise also mentioned the lack of the promenade deck.

Don’t criticize the new ship design until you have tried it they said. The new added features will make up for the deleted features they said. Well we tried it and we don’t like it. It’s not horrible, it’s just not a step in the right direction. We have been on Grand Class, Diamond Class, and Crown Class ships in the past and liked them all better than the new class that Princess is building now.

No full promenade deck is a biggie and mentioned by many critics. No aft pool. No sky lounge. Less balcony width. Harder to get a seat in the theater. Dinner in the main dining room seems less efficient. None of our ports required tenders so I don’t know if that is better or worse than other size ships. Launching this size ship with no center stair well was a mistake which has thankfully been corrected.

The larger piazza area is nice. The pool area and top deck seem to be about the same as other classes. The sky walk is a nice feature.

Princess I think you are making a mistake. It looks like you are headed in the direction of this new class of ships. After five straight cruises with Princess we will be looking into other cruise lines.

Guess it depends on who your friends are. My good friend who knows me well said stay away, you'll hate it. So far I have no reason to doubt her.

We listened to all the negative comments about the Royal Princess and , based on them, decided we wouldn't sail on her. Then this year we got a great offer for an itinerary that we liked, so we bit the bullet and sailed on Royal Princess.

It was outstanding.

Did we miss some things? Yes. Did we experience some things that we hadn't before? Yes, indeed. And the Horizon Court was so good that we never bothered to eat in the main dining room.

So if you are reading these comments, think about whether these issues are "cruise busters" for you. They can be misleading, considering the whole experience.

Yeah, I hear you, I've heard so much good and bad about the Royal class ships. I'm curious to try it out for myself. Being on the West Coast, it's not as easy to check them out, but we bit the bullet and booked her.

I'm looking forward to it. It will be my mom's first cruise. so I'm hoping she will get the cruise bug from it. It scares me when I hear how much some people hate the Royal class ships, but I figured Caribbean waters would be smoother for a first timer.

As others have said, all ships have positives and negatives. But, I really wish Princess would listen to the feedback from passengers, and build ships that incorporate the things the majority of passengers want.

As long as the ships sail full, that is evidence the ships do have what passengers want.

Yeah, I hear you, I've heard so much good and bad about the Royal class ships. I'm curious to try it out for myself. Being on the West Coast, it's not as easy to check them out, but we bit the bullet and booked her.

I'm looking forward to it. It will be my mom's first cruise. so I'm hoping she will get the cruise bug from it. It scares me when I hear how much some people hate the Royal class ships, but I figured Caribbean waters would be smoother for a first timer.

I bet your mom will love it.

As you may have noticed, many of the complaints are in comparison with other Princess ship features, so as a first time cruiser these won't apply.

If you order a drink in the princess theater there is no place to put it.

Princess forgot to put in drink holders in the theater.

long cruiser

We do a lot of long crushes too and have done at least 4 on Royal/Regal and even though there are no drink holders in the main theater which is a "common complaint" among the complainers, we hardly ever see anyone order drinks at the early shows so I really do not think it is that big a deal and Princess knows that!!! Last thing I think about when I book a cruise is "where am I going to put my drinks"....oy vey!!! :rolleyes:

Just saying that I agree with the original poster regarding the Royal class of ship. There were some good things on board, definitely - Retreat pool, Horizon Court improvements, TV system - but it's what was lost for us that's the problem. We've had some great memories on Princess ships in the Gem, Crown, and Grand classes that revolved around the promenade or the nightclub or Explorers or even Crooners (which has had its intimate atmosphere destroyed by the larger, busier, noisier atrium) and this ship's class just brushed them aside and didn't do it for us. I'm perfectly okay with this - not every ship is for everyone; first timers won't have a comparison so it'll all be wonderful; everyone enjoys different aspects of cruising - but I really, really hope there's a Princess future that still has ships of the same or similar class/layout to those we've loved in the past.