Taking wine & food back to stateroom

aprilfool01

Because wine and food are so difficult to obtain on an NCL cruise, we pack a funnel, a collapsible plastic container and two collapsible coolers. We then periodically go out on scavenging runs. First, we stop by several bars and order wine by the glass, using the funnel to pour them into our wine container. No matter we each prefer white and red---we make custom blends. The two coolers are required because who wants to mix their hot and cold snacks? We just overorder and/or load up trays in the buffet and discretely dump our bounty into the coolers. Then back to the cabin for a wine and food orgy! We tell our steward to wash up everything every morning and provide a generous $1 tip daily. Sure, we get some stares but a person's got to get their fill, yes?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Because wine and food are so difficult to obtain on an NCL cruise, we pack a funnel, a collapsible plastic container and two collapsible coolers. We then periodically go out on scavenging runs. First, we stop by several bars and order wine by the glass, using the funnel to pour them into our wine container. No matter we each prefer white and red---we make custom blends. The two coolers are required because who wants to mix their hot and cold snacks? We just overorder and/or load up trays in the buffet and discretely dump our bounty into the coolers. Then back to the cabin for a wine and food orgy! We tell our steward to wash up everything every morning and provide a generous $1 tip daily. Sure, we get some stares but a person's got to get their fill, yes?

Thank You !

My first LOL of the morning.;p

Haha agree my first LOL of the morning.

Also, we were denied takeout from O'Sheehans on the Getaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hmm....why would you even think someone wanted to eat food in a the library, stairwell or elevator-public passageway? I didn't see anyone mention where they planned on eating their food other than their cabin and one fella wanted to take it to watch the football game...and I see nothing wrong with that. That said, I've gotten doggy bags at most of the restaurants but I've never gotten "take out" at any of them. If they offer it I see no reason not to do it. But as we can see it is now not being offered..............so the buffet is it! And that's fine with me. All that being said, some people may not feel up to it and want to have a quiet dinner in their cabin....so their only option in that case is the buffet.

Or room service?

Or room service?
Yes, I forgot to add that! However, we like to utilize eating the food that is included in the $2000 we paid for the cruise now that room service cost extra. So the buffet sounds fine. We generally only take small snacks, like fruit, pastries or cheese back to the room anyway.

Ha ha! In an ideal world, the buffet would come with wheels and would be fully mobile. That way guests could push it right up to their doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hysterical............and what's even funnier, I bet there are people with the UBP that actually do that. :D

Does the cruise line have a policy on this? Just wondering. I know on the POA they were pretty strict on even refilling your water bottle. You had to use a clean glass to fill the bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That's not being strict, that's being sanitary.

The Buffet however is set up for self served food service and where you dine is pretty much where

your FreeStyle permits - in the Buffet - in a lounge chair on deck - in your cabin - CERTAINLY NOT

in the library or stairwell/elevator - public passage way !

Who is eating in the library? :)

When we book balconies we often take our lunch food to a cabin to avoid crowds. On all 7 lines.

It is perfectly fine and quiet enjoyable. Lunch with a view!

On some occasions we bring dirty dishes back to buffet, on some our steward takes them.

Yes, I forgot to add that! However, we like to utilize eating the food that is included in the $2000 we paid for the cruise now that room service cost extra. So the buffet sounds fine. We generally only take small snacks, like fruit, pastries or cheese back to the room anyway.

Not that I use it often, but is room service now really extra? At all times, even during the day?

Who is eating in the library? :)

When we book balconies we often take our lunch food to a cabin to avoid crowds. On all 7 lines.

It is perfectly fine and quiet enjoyable. Lunch with a view!

On some occasions we bring dirty dishes back to buffet, on some our steward takes them.

Yes...exactly! We also enjoy taking "cold foods" for lunch back to our cabin too. Not a dang thing wrong with that. But I bet before this thread dies there will be someone with a snarky remark who finds fault with it.......I will never forget years ago the volatile post about wearing jeans for dinner. :rolleyes:

Not that I use it often, but is room service now really extra? At all times, even during the day?
It is free in the morning for a "continental" breakfast, juice, muffins, coffee etc. But if you want a "full breakfast, eggs, meat etc " and if you want anything off the regular room service menu, there will now be a service charge for each total order of $7.95 I believe. I remember the days way way back, when "nothing" cost extra....except shore excursions. Things have changed, but then again back then they did not have speciality restaurants, coffee bars, ice cream parlors or dinner shows. So it makes sense that we now have extra charges.

Yes...exactly! We also enjoy taking "cold foods" for lunch back to our cabin too. Not a dang thing wrong with that. But I bet before this thread dies there will be someone with a snarky remark who finds fault with it.......I will never forget years ago the volatile post about wearing jeans for dinner. :rolleyes:

Jeans to a dinner?! You are brave. I was blasted for saying that my husband wears suite every day to his work and this is why while I often wear cocktail dress ( I am in IT so wear jeans daily) my husband refuses to even bring suite or tax now days. He wears dressy shirt and pants. Answer was that my husband is being disrespectful to other passengers and because of this people cannot fully enjoy their dinners.

Thankfully we had enough of reasonable people in that thread. :)

It is free in the morning for a "continental" breakfast, juice, muffins, coffee etc. But if you want a "full breakfast, eggs, meat etc " and if you want anything off the regular room service menu, there will now be a service charge for each total order of $7.95 I believe. I remember the days way way back, when "nothing" cost extra....except shore excursions. Things have changed, but then again back then they did not have speciality restaurants, coffee bars, ice cream parlors or dinner shows. So it makes sense that we now have extra charges.

Thank you! Well... this is not so bad, because restaurant items were off room service menu for a long time.

Is it free only for continental breakfast ? What about later times? I mean not regular menu items, but usual room service items?

Thank you! Well... this is not so bad, because restaurant items were off room service menu for a long time.

Is it free only for continental breakfast ? What about later times? I mean not regular menu items, but usual room service items?

Is Norwegian Cruise Line now charging for room service?

Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $7.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.

*Prices subject to change.

Yes, free for ONLY continental breakfast....all other items are subject to the service charge all times of the day. There are also items that have an extra charge, like shrimp cocktail etc.

OMG, I almost forgot to include a funnel on my packing list [emoji23]

Thanks for the reminder, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jeans to a dinner?! You are brave. I was blasted for saying that my husband wears suite every day to his work and this is why while I often wear cocktail dress ( I am in IT so wear jeans daily) my husband refuses to even bring suite or tax now days. He wears dressy shirt and pants. Answer was that my husband is being disrespectful to other passengers and because of this people cannot fully enjoy their dinners.

Thankfully we had enough of reasonable people in that thread. :)

Yeah...we bring our jeans and hubby brings one pair of khaki pants. Most of his shirts are semi-dressy in that they are not shabby t-shirts. Unless a restaurant is specifically formal, I don't really care what people wear....I know some do. It does not affect my dining pleasure for I tend to concentrate on my conversations and our meal....life is way too short to sweat the small stuff. :)
  • Thanks 1

• 6 years later...

Hi all, do you all know if room service also brings drinks to the room/if you can bring a bottle to your room? I'm thinking that as we leave port, would love to have a prosecco toast on our balcony, and the small glasses of prosecco are quick to need a refill. Trying to think on the best way to keep our drinks full as we leave port and look at the beautiful view of NYC! 

1 hour ago, kdlonglegs said:

Hi all, do you all know if room service also brings drinks to the room/if you can bring a bottle to your room? I'm thinking that as we leave port, would love to have a prosecco toast on our balcony, and the small glasses of prosecco are quick to need a refill. Trying to think on the best way to keep our drinks full as we leave port and look at the beautiful view of NYC! 

Better to start a new thread vs. reviving a zombie thread from 6 years ago...lots has changed in that time.

But if you have the FAS drink package, you can bring your own wine/prosecco on board with no corkage fee. And you can get 2 drinks at a time at the bar and take them back to your cabin for sailaway. I don't believe room service delivers drinks.

• Like 1

Just now, debenson0723 said:

Better to start a new thread vs. reviving a zombie thread from 6 years ago...lots has changed in that time.

But if you have the FAS drink package, you can bring your own wine/prosecco on board with no corkage fee. And you can get 2 drinks at a time at the bar and take them back to your cabin for sailaway. I don't believe room service delivers drinks.

Sorry, didn't realize that the thread was that old + am new to the site and learning board etiquette. 

Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kdlonglegs said:

If you have a drinks package, you can bring your own bottle onboard at no cost. Or buy a bottle at a bar (expensive). 

And yes, please don’t bump 6 year old threads. The thread is dated with old, now inaccurate information. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you have a drinks package, you can bring your own bottle onboard at no cost. Or buy a bottle at a bar (expensive). 

And yes, please don’t bump 6 year old threads. The thread is dated with old, now inaccurate information. 

Apologies, as I said, I'm new to forum boards and still learning the etiquette.

Thanks for the info. 

2 hours ago, kdlonglegs said:

Apologies, as I said, I'm new to forum boards and still learning the etiquette.

Thanks for the info. 

Do not spend nyc sailaway on your balcony, we love our balcony but you really want to be up on an outside deck, both sides are stunning.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Do not spend nyc sailaway on your balcony, we love our balcony but you really want to be up on an outside deck, both sides are stunning.

Very true!! Nice to be outside on top decks or on deck 8 Waterfront (depending on which ship) to view the New York Skyline on port side and then the Statue of Liberty on starboard side. 

We have never been inside or outside on our balcony during the sail aways. Always outside! And with drinks in our hands!!

And we make sure to book our dinner ressie to one hour after the sail away. 

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2