Price increase?

oceaniacruiserri

It's a business. They will charge what the market will pay. This should not shock or surprise anyone

So true. There are a great many choices of cruise lines out there. Oceania does not force anyone to cruise on their ships.

We are cruising crystal and seabourn in addition to oceania We are driven by itinerary. Price is secondary for us at this point in our lives

There are many options. Choose a different line or a lower category cabin or wait for a sale

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are perfectly right about the huge price increases on Oceania. We wanted to book with Oceania this Summer, but we have returned to Celebrity instead. I hardly think that increases in excess of 50% can be put down to inflation!

Here's my example of cruise-only prices:

our 12-night Baltic cruise on Marina in August 2015 B4 cabin cost 2179 Euros per Person including gratuities.

The equivalent cruise this year (12 nights, Marina, almost identical route, B4 cabin) costs 5049 Euros WITHOUT gratuities. This price includes internet and $300 onboard credit or 3 excursions. If you estimate these to be worth $600 (about 550 euros) then that makes the cruise fare 4499 euros. Add to this the gratuities of $192 (about 180 Euros) then the cruise fare becomes 4679 Euros. That is more than double the fare from 2015!

Now that I have done the maths, I will go ahead and write to Oceania to ask for their explanation.

And the airfare? Whether you take it or the credit, surely that part of the fare has jumped up as well.

In any case, we've been noticing that O has been starting high on come itineraries and making mid-course price adjustments at the transition from one promotional period to the next.

On both our recent 24 day TransAtlantic/Greek Isles and upcoming 23 day Norway Fjords/British Isles cruises, each one saw a significant price drop ($2000-$3000 for a B3) well before the final payment. We rebooked with no problem. Of course, on the other hand, we also booked a long 38 day TransPacific in 2018 when it was initially announced. It's B2 price jumped about $3000 in less than two months after that.

And the airfare? Whether you take it or the credit, surely that part of the fare has jumped up as well.

In any case, we've been noticing that O has been starting high on come itineraries and making mid-course price adjustments at the transition from one promotional period to the next.

On both our recent 24 day TransAtlantic/Greek Isles and upcoming 23 day Norway Fjords/British Isles cruises, each one saw a significant price drop ($2000-$3000 for a B3) well before the final payment. We rebooked with no problem. Of course, on the other hand, we also booked a long 38 day TransPacific in 2018 when it was initially announced. It's B2 price jumped about $3000 in less than two months after that.

Its all supply and demand... cruise selling liker hot cakes.... raise the price, Cruise selling slow...lower the price... Its like an auction where the line has a reserve and any thing above is the goal..... If it was your business, it would be in your best interests to make the best profit without killing the golden goose. Hey as prices go up your cabin class can go down,! Your still on the same ship going to the same places, eating the same food... Compromise is a wonderful tool. :p As an aside, if you book a lesser cabin, and the cruise does not sell well , you can many times get an up-sell for 40 to 60% off a higher cabin....The competition is also raising prices....I looked at Viking river which has come way down, BUT Viking Sea is way more than O ... ( looked at them for norway....and was shocked. It is a clever all inclusive sales pitch to get you on what is really a nickel-dime ship once you get on. IE, free sodas, that is if you dont drink more than 6 etc.etc)

There are 2 philosophies on cruising go with a great itinerary, or Go with enjoying the ship as the destination itself . In the latter shop price and get the most days aboard, caring less where your going..your on the ship.... and that ain't all bad;p. Having pretty much run out of ports that interest me I am now a devote to the latter.

You want to see price increases..... go check out Porsche's :loudcry: They dont seem to have any problem selling ALL they make...

Edited by Hawaiidan

As but you can't drive a Porsche across the ocean.

In a strict sense you can, I live in CA, , across the ocean is Germany where I can. But sadly I agree, I think thats one of their very few;p limitations

You are perfectly right about the huge price increases on Oceania. We wanted to book with Oceania this Summer, but we have returned to Celebrity instead. I hardly think that increases in excess of 50% can be put down to inflation!

Here's my example of cruise-only prices:

our 12-night Baltic cruise on Marina in August 2015 B4 cabin cost 2179 Euros per Person including gratuities.

The equivalent cruise this year (12 nights, Marina, almost identical route, B4 cabin) costs 5049 Euros WITHOUT gratuities. This price includes internet and $300 onboard credit or 3 excursions. If you estimate these to be worth $600 (about 550 euros) then that makes the cruise fare 4499 euros. Add to this the gratuities of $192 (about 180 Euros) then the cruise fare becomes 4679 Euros. That is more than double the fare from 2015!

Now that I have done the maths, I will go ahead and write to Oceania to ask for their explanation.

It is the same in den Med! They are crazy! You should change to Seabourn! It is the better product!

I realize it is all about supply and demand. However, in my example, the price has increased by more than 100%. If that is not an example of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, then I don't know what is!

I have read "Price Increase" threads on Oceania, Celebrity, and Azamara. No doubt other cruise line boards have them also. There will be many lessons learned about price elasticity in the cruise industry in the coming months it seems.

I realize it is all about supply and demand. However, in my example, the price has increased by more than 100%. If that is not an example of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, then I don't know what is!

If the Goose is indeed killed, then demand will drop and you will have the warm fuzzy feeling of being correct in your assessment.

Goose-and-golden-egg-017.jpg

If however, there is a large cadre of vulgar new money rounding the economic corner with a new healthy Goose of their own.....

hqdefault.jpg

Only time will tell.

All the price swings may well make that "lowest price " guarantee for on board bookings look real favorable.

Whenever I've seen a price drop, before final payment, I've called my TA and rebooked at the lower price. This has worked for our Cunard, HAL, and O bookings without any loss in benefits (OBC, pre-paid gratuities, Wi-Fi, etc.).

I am currently booked on a cruise that has seen huge price decreases. However, I'm booked PH and that category has been waitlisted since the cruise opened for booking, so if we had cancelled and rebooked it would have been in a lower category. Probably should have done that. The differentials now are about $5K each for a B Class cabin and PH !

All the price swings may well make that "lowest price " guarantee for on board bookings look real favorable.

Absolutely - recently did two. But, one does have to read the fine print on that deal since the price match may come with less favorable O Life if the new published fare perks are different.

I am currently booked on a cruise that has seen huge price decreases. However, I'm booked PH and that category has been waitlisted since the cruise opened for booking, so if we had cancelled and rebooked it would have been in a lower category. Probably should have done that. The differentials now are about $5K each for a B Class cabin and PH !

When all is said and done, and things reduced to the basics, a cabin, and associated cruise is nothing more than a place to sleep shower and store you stuff... anything more is pure desire and in reality not necessary except in one's mind.:confused: The sleep one get in an owners suite VS that in the lowest inside is equal, so it the water they both wash with. Only the ship makes a difference.

When all is said and done, and things reduced to the basics, a cabin, and associated cruise is nothing more than a place to sleep shower and store you stuff... anything more is pure desire and in reality not necessary except in one's mind.:confused: The sleep one get in an owners suite VS that in the lowest inside is equal, so it the water they both wash with. Only the ship makes a difference.

That is certainly one way of looking at things but definitely not the only way.

I, for one, certainly don't think that staying in the inside cabin vs OS or the PH is the same experience :D

Edited by Paulchili

If the Goose is indeed killed, then demand will drop and you will have the warm fuzzy feeling of being correct in your assessment.

Goose-and-golden-egg-017.jpg

If however, there is a large cadre of vulgar new money rounding the economic corner with a new healthy Goose of their own.....

hqdefault.jpg

Only time will tell.

Checking my wallet now to see if it contains any vulgar new money.

When all is said and done, and things reduced to the basics, a cabin, and associated cruise is nothing more than a place to sleep shower and store you stuff... anything more is pure desire and in reality not necessary except in one's mind.

It may be pure desire and not necessary in your mind, but we have worked long and hard to earn what we have, and now enjoy fulfilling that desire - which sure seems necessary in our minds..

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

I'm about to book and this conversation begs the question of price protection.

If I buy and the price goes down can I get the better price ? What about the percs ?? OK, call me pecunious.

Thanks

I'm about to book and this conversation begs the question of price protection.

If I buy and the price goes down can I get the better price ? What about the percs ?? OK, call me pecunious.

Thanks

Depends on where you live

In North America If there is a price reduction or added perks prior to final payment your TA can usually get the new deal for you

Lyn

Depends on where you live

In North America If there is a price reduction or added perks prior to final payment your TA can usually get the new deal for you

Lyn

That, but with a caveat - sometimes you can get the new price (if your cabin category is still open) but taking the new "offer" you may lose some of the benefits offered with the original booking.

Example - on a certain cruise O offered a free 3 day pre or post cruise stay (or a fare discount equal to the value of the price of this offer). When new prices came out, that offfer was not part of the deal. So you had to decide which offer made more sense to you - the old one or the new one? Most of the time you can't have your cake .........:)

That is certainly one way of looking at things but definitely not the only way.

I, for one, certainly don't think that staying in the inside cabin vs OS or the PH is the same experience :D

I just suggested the lowest common denominator.. which is I think the bare bones, rock bottom basic of what a cruise provides. Having sailed over a month in a PH and 3 weeks in a Inside and 3 weeks in a veranda, except for a view and little larger space, I didn't really see, to me, a big difference. Nice but not at all to me necessary.

Each person needs to determine their priorities. The ship is my priority the food second , the itinerary and the cabin last. :confused:

Having spent time in the Navy on destroyers and on a 42 off shore sail boat, the smallest cabin on O seems like a suite at the Mark Hopkins....

I just suggested the lowest common denominator.. which is I think the bare bones, rock bottom basic of what a cruise provides. Having sailed over a month in a PH and 3 weeks in a Inside and 3 weeks in a veranda, except for a view and little larger space, I didn't really see, to me, a big difference. Nice but not at all to me necessary.

Each person needs to determine their priorities. The ship is my priority the food second , the itinerary and the cabin last. :confused:

Having spent time in the Navy on destroyers and on a 42 off shore sail boat, the smallest cabin on O seems like a suite at the Mark Hopkins....

To each their own.

I think you and Flatbush Flyer would be a perfect match to room in an inside cabin and feel great about it (compared to your sailboats and destroyers) - you should plan a cruise together and reminisce about your sailing days :D :D

It may be pure desire and not necessary in your mind, but we have worked long and hard to earn what we have, and now enjoy fulfilling that desire - which sure seems necessary in our minds..

Pardon the expression but " I am in the same boat" as far as working. I appreciate your personal focus and desire for fulfillment. Thats fine, your call.- cruising is how you choose to enjoy your.

From my perspective, cruising is just a small part of my fulfillment and I choose many other avenues in addition to cruising .