Princess Visa Card makes it difficult to redeem points

jonikal

We have used our Princess Visa card for many cruises and until now, never had any problem using the points towards our Barclaycard account. Since we don't choose to use the points for OBC or other items offered on their website, we recently tried to apply our points online, but the option we wanted (and had previously used) was not available and we finally had to phone them. We are now in week 3 of trying to get this resolved. Despite speaking to a supervisor, the call center is in India and it is clear from the stalling that they don't have the authorization to handle this in a timely manner. Since the card carries the Princess name, Princess might want to know that there is a problem. If you are interested in using points for other than the Barclaycard online shopping mall and OBC etc., you might consider using another card. Any suggestions on who to contact would be appreciated.

There are other threads on this. It took me six weeks and numerous calls. Ask for a supervisor. They finally gave me an extra 5k for my troubles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Had a similar problem. Wanted to apply cash back to my credit card at the 2%bonus. Took a few months and many followup calls but it was finally applied. Call 866-928-3106. This will let you bypass the call center and connect you to someone in a supervising position. Good luck and keep following up.

Had a similar problem. Wanted to apply cash back to my credit card at the 2%bonus. Took a few months and many followup calls but it was finally applied. Call 866-928-3106. This will let you bypass the call center and connect you to someone in a supervising position. Good luck and keep following up.

Much appreciate the suggestion and will definitely call. Many thanks!

We have used our Princess Visa card for many cruises and until now, never had any problem using the points towards our Barclaycard account. Since we don't choose to use the points for OBC or other items offered on their website, we recently tried to apply our points online, but the option we wanted (and had previously used) was not available and we finally had to phone them. We are now in week 3 of trying to get this resolved. Despite speaking to a supervisor, the call center is in India and it is clear from the stalling that they don't have the authorization to handle this in a timely manner. Since the card carries the Princess name, Princess might want to know that there is a problem. If you are interested in using points for other than the Barclaycard online shopping mall and OBC etc., you might consider using another card. Any suggestions on who to contact would be appreciated.

A quick search found a few recent threads, seems there have been issues for awhile.

I canceled my card a few years ago because of the horrendous customer service at Barclay. :(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430125&highlight=Princess+visa+credit+card

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2424810&highlight=Princess+visa+credit+card

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2348488&highlight=Princess+visa+credit+card

Update: Per suggestions on this thread and others, I made several more calls and spoke to a supervisor and was told that we would see the points moved to our account within 48 hours. This actually happened with an added 2% bonus which effectively doubled our points. Hope others facing the same problem will get it resolved as well as we did. Thanks to all for their suggestions.

Glad I turned down the option to get the card when I was contacted about it. Got enough cards already & don't need the problems people here seem to be having.

The card was wonderful for several years; however, it is now nearly (but hopefully not totally) impossible to redeem points. I've been working on it for several weeks and haven't yet been successful. Meanwhile, eligible points are passing the 180 day mark and disappearing. I will try the 866 number tomorrow (thank you!). I have a case number and detailed notes of dates and contacts. Hopefully this will get resolved.

The new points system has NOT been an improvement, as far as we are concerned.

Well I just tried to apply my Princess Visa Points to my Credit Card Statement with a supervisor from the United States after dealing with two people from offshore..... and guess what was told to call back because the site was updating .. Will let all of you know how long it will take me to get this resolved.

I've been accumulating points for a while now & figured that I'll apply them to our next trip-NOW since people have been having so many problems redeeming them.

For 10 minutes the web site was reluctant to respond (using Chrome) but after I disabled my ad blocker it's functioning OK.

At this point I'll acquire some additional points before cashing any more in but it does seem OK at this time.

I forgot to add that it was used to purchase shipboard cabin credit, if that makes any difference.

Decided to use our points last week for OBC on our upcoming Majestic Princess cruise. The website doesn't have the new ship listed as an option, so I called customer service. They didn't even know the new ship was starting cruises at the end of the month. They took my information and said it would take 2 weeks to issue the OBC. Hopefully it will be issued in another week.

I'm amazed they don't even know when Princess has a new ship entering service.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

After all the round a round I recieved yesterday I called again today and within no time my points were redeemed. Here is the number that you need to call is you want to redeem your Princess Points 866-872-6248 This number in the United Staes and they know how to do it!!!

Apologies to all for a possibly redundant question..I have never redeemed points for a "statement credit" before. Onboard credits I have done many times. DW and I have an upcoming 14 day cruise. We have been saving points for many years and have accrued 250,000+ points. Do I do a statement credit just like an onboard credit re: multiples of 40,000 pts. at a value of $500.00 ea. towards the cruise cost?

Apologies to all for a possibly redundant question..I have never redeemed points for a "statement credit" before. Onboard credits I have done many times. DW and I have an upcoming 14 day cruise. We have been saving points for many years and have accrued 250,000+ points. Do I do a statement credit just like an onboard credit re: multiples of 40,000 pts. at a value of $500.00 ea. towards the cruise cost?

With that many points I would call this number to ask them the best way to do this. I'd hate to make a mistake and loose any of them.. 866-872-6248 This number in the United Staes and they know how to do it!!!

The woman I had today was very helpful

I haven't cashed in points for a while now until the other day and so far it's shown as a deduction in my total points from Barclays web site and an email confirming the transaction.

It has yet to show in my onboard credit account so I'll give it a few more days until I call.

After all the round a round I recieved yesterday I called again today and within no time my points were redeemed. Here is the number that you need to call is you want to redeem your Princess Points 866-872-6248 This number in the United Staes and they know how to do it!!!

This is the number that I have always used when calling to redeem points. Today, I was finally ready to redeem points to use for my credit card statement. Knowing about all the problems that others have been having, I decided to call the above number to make sure I was doing everything correct before I hit the redeem button. The lady was very nice and knowledgeable about the process and stayed on the line until I hit the redeem button. I called around noon and by 6:00pm the $2000 credit was already posted to my credit card account. I'll probably redeem points quicker from now on and go for the OBC.

• 2 weeks later...

Barclay may have fixed their problem. I was waiting to get to 50,000 points to redeem for a $1,000 statement credit (2%). When I logged on to their website today, it allowed the redemption with no issues. Everything worked easily with no problems.

I had decided I would probably cancel after redeeming my 50,000 points if it were a hassle to redeem them. Now that the problem looks fixed, I will probably keep the card.

On my last redemption (in July 2016 under the old system), I received $1,250 for 100,000 points (1.25%). Now I receive 2% as long as I have a Princess purchase for $4,001 or more within the last 180 days (and I always have a Princess cruise purchase of at least that amount within the last 180 days.:) This is a substantial improvement. This means I receive 4% cash back on Princess purchases and 2% cash back on all other purchases.

I recommend anyone who has had problems in the past try their website again and see if the problem is fixed for you.

Barclay may have fixed their problem. I was waiting to get to 50,000 points to redeem for a $1,000 statement credit (2%). When I logged on to their website today, it allowed the redemption with no issues. Everything worked easily with no problems.

I had decided I would probably cancel after redeeming my 50,000 points if it were a hassle to redeem them. Now that the problem looks fixed, I will probably keep the card.

On my last redemption (in July 2016 under the old system), I received $1,250 for 100,000 points (1.25%). Now I receive 2% as long as I have a Princess purchase for $4,001 or more within the last 180 days (and I always have a Princess cruise purchase of at least that amount within the last 180 days.:) This is a substantial improvement. This means I receive 4% cash back on Princess purchases and 2% cash back on all other purchases.

I recommend anyone who has had problems in the past try their website again and see if the problem is fixed for you.

Do you don't double points for onboard credit or only statement credit?

Do you don't double points for onboard credit or only statement credit?

The onboard credit options on their website are $50 for 5,000 points (1%), $100 for 10,000 points (1%), $250 for 25,000 points (1%), or $500 for 40,000 points (1.25%).

Note that the 2% for statement credits depends only on the amount of the Princess charge you are redeeming against ($4,001 or more). It does not matter how many points you redeem. Even if you redeem only 5,000 points (the minimum for statement credit redemptions), you still get 2% if you Princess purchase is $4,001 or more. Also note that it must be a single Princess purchase of $4,001 or more; the redemption looks only at the one purchase - not at any other Princess purchases within the 180 day period.

There is another advantage of redeeming for a statement credit instead of for OBC. If I redeem 5,000 points for $100 statement credit and then charge $100 in onboard purchases to my Princess credit card, I receive another 200 points for this onboard charge (worth another $4 when I redeem at 2%). If a redeem points for OBC, then I don't receive any more points when I redeem the OBC.

If you cruise regularly on Princess, I don't think any of the other redemption options come close to redeeming for a statement credit against a Princess purchase of $4,001 or more.

Does it have to be a single Princess purchase of $4001 or more? Or can it be let's say paying off two Cruises during that time frame equaling $4001 or more?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It has to be a single purchase of $4,001 or more to receive 2%. Each redemption is against a single specified purchase - it doesn't matter how many other qualifying purchases you have. If you redeem against two separate purchases, then each is treated separately based on the amount of the individual purchase.

Personally, I've never had a problem finding a cruise that cost more than $4,001.:)

I don't understand the new rules, I've used the Princess Visa card for quite a while and always waited until I had 80,000 points to redeem for $1,000 as a credit on my account. Now, as I understand it, it's not as easy to do this. I currently have 60,000 points and was going to wait until I had 80,000 points to redeem.

In January, I charged a cruise for $4,100 and if I understand the new rules, I have 180 days to redeem this at 2%???? So, if I redeemed 60,000 points for $750 now, how much would I receive as a credit on my account? How much OBC would I get if I decided to do that?

Can someone explain this to me as I'm feeling kind of dumb right now.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for any info.