Confessions of a Cruise Virgin - Oceania Riviera March 16 2017 - April 9 2017

Robjame

Greetings

The web cam shows lots of ships there with you in Nassau. I can see where it would be quite crowded. The last time we were there we didn't even bother getting off the ship. Been there many times and it was nicer to have a mostly empty ship to enjoy verses fighting the masses.

Enjoy the short sail back to Miami. We are packed and ready to board for the TA tomorrow. One more night at home and then we will be aboard.

Good Sailing

Tom

We are underway, heading back to Miami - Once again we have some serious decisions to make.... lobster or steak for dinner? one or two appetizers? do we get the selection of desserts or style for the cheese tray?

The captain has announced that we will be landing in Miami at 5:30 am. He also announced that it will be the same area that we left from (Terminal B) so if you are joining the Riviera you will want to check the latest to see if we are berthed in J or B or the temporary terminal.

Rob, two of the best things about a back 2 back is that you didn't have to pack while everyone else did, and you get the run of the ship on turnaround day. You are way relaxed above the crowed coming in, but there is a fresh shot of energy.

Enjoying your reporting. I hope you enjoy your TA as much as we do. For a first time cruiser you seem to have a good handle on everything. You obviously are an experienced traveler otherwise.

Rob, two of the best things about a back 2 back is that you didn't have to pack while everyone else did, and you get the run of the ship on turnaround day. You are way relaxed above the crowed coming in, but there is a fresh shot of energy.

Enjoying your reporting. I hope you enjoy your TA as much as we do. For a first time cruiser you seem to have a good handle on everything. You obviously are an experienced traveler otherwise.

So true - It reminded me of being the camper at summer camp who stays for a month while most go home after two weeks. We know the ropes and feel very much at home on the Riviera.

Today (Sunday March 26) we are in Miami. The trans Atlantic cruisers have come on board and we are just about ready to set sail. We discovered a few things:

Even though we are booked on this back to back cruises with separate booking number, and separate on board credit, our accounts roll over from one cruise to the next. We over spent our first leg by about $170 but that does not come into account until the two legs are finished so if we underspend this next leg, it will be applied to what we owe.

Those of us who are staying onboard for the b2b were invited to a special lunch at Jacques … and it was special. There were items on this menu we have never seen in the MDR or in the specialty dining rooms. Some of the items were set:

• Maine lobster and daikon with caviar appetizer
  • Provolone stuffed pasta purses with a butternut squash cream pasta course
  • choice of main course of filet of beef with black truffle and foie gras demi-glace or miso glazed sea bass (the one from Red Ginger) or vegetable tart tatin
  • chocolate volcano (lava cake) with a passion fruit heart (Really good)
  • tiered tray of petit fours and macarons

We were able to add another specialty restaurant for dinner tonight - Toscana. I think we will have exceeded our daily calories! Oh well.

When we talk to fellow cruisers, many are not aware that Oceania looks the other way if you bring wine on board. We brought a case of 12 bottles aboard for the first cruise. Today we went to Total Wine in Miami and bought an additional 9 bottles to augment our depleted store. No one cared. We are pleased to pay the corkage fees of $25 per bottle and, in fact, the sommeliers are delighted to sample them and comment on our choices. It has allowed us to purchase some pretty high end wines to enjoy with our meals.

On this leg of our voyage, another bottle of champagne was chilling in our room along with another Oceania tote bag.

Our room steward, Rosario, knows our likes and needs and the fridge is well stocked with Diet 7up, Diet Pepsi, soda water and bottles of drinking water. As I use a CPAP machine, he always has a gallon of distilled water in our room.

We are looking forward to several sea days after out port intensive Caribbean voyage. There are many wine tastings being offered and we plan to take advantage.

We have to attend another muster drill and will do so happily.

So true - It reminded me of being the camper at summer camp who stays for a month while most go home after two weeks. We know the ropes and feel very much at home on the Riviera.

Today (Sunday March 26) we are in Miami. The trans Atlantic cruisers have come on board and we are just about ready to set sail. We discovered a few things:

Even though we are booked on this back to back cruises with separate booking number, and separate on board credit, our accounts roll over from one cruise to the next. We over spent our first leg by about $170 but that does not come into account until the two legs are finished so if we underspend this next leg, it will be applied to what we owe.

Those of us who are staying onboard for the b2b were invited to a special lunch at Jacques … and it was special. There were items on this menu we have never seen in the MDR or in the specialty dining rooms. Some of the items were set:

• Maine lobster and daikon with caviar appetizer
  • Provolone stuffed pasta purses with a butternut squash cream pasta course
  • choice of main course of filet of beef with black truffle and foie gras demi-glace or miso glazed sea bass (the one from Red Ginger) or vegetable tart tatin
  • chocolate volcano (lava cake) with a passion fruit heart (Really good)
  • tiered tray of petit fours and macarons

We were able to add another specialty restaurant for dinner tonight - Toscana. I think we will have exceeded our daily calories! Oh well.

When we talk to fellow cruisers, many are not aware that Oceania looks the other way if you bring wine on board. We brought a case of 12 bottles aboard for the first cruise. Today we went to Total Wine in Miami and bought an additional 9 bottles to augment our depleted store. No one cared. We are pleased to pay the corkage fees of $25 per bottle and, in fact, the sommeliers are delighted to sample them and comment on our choices. It has allowed us to purchase some pretty high end wines to enjoy with our meals.

On this leg of our voyage, another bottle of champagne was chilling in our room along with another Oceania tote bag.

Our room steward, Rosario, knows our likes and needs and the fridge is well stocked with Diet 7up, Diet Pepsi, soda water and bottles of drinking water. As I use a CPAP machine, he always has a gallon of distilled water in our room.

We are looking forward to several sea days after out port intensive Caribbean voyage. There are many wine tastings being offered and we plan to take advantage.

We have to attend another muster drill and will do so happily.

Just the reason that most of us LOVE Oceania and do not look to go elsewhere.

Bob:

It was fun having dinner with you and your lovely wife at Privee. I will be following your further journey with interest.

You were very fortunate not to have to disembark today, as it was a case of complete confusion.... Definitely the worst I have ever experienced with Oceania. It briefly left a bit of a sour taste after a wonderful cruise.

Bon voyage on your onward journey!

Tim

Bob:

It was fun having dinner with you and your lovely wife at Privee. I will be following your further journey with interest.

You were very fortunate not to have to disembark today, as it was a case of complete confusion.... Definitely the worst I have ever experienced with Oceania. It briefly left a bit of a sour taste after a wonderful cruise.

Bon voyage on your onward journey!

Tim

Tim that evening in Privée will certainly be one of the highlights. It was as if we were a bunch of old friends getting together for dinner.

Mike introduced us to asking for parmesan drizzled with balsamic vinegar, which we have done twice since.

We did get caught up in that confusion in Miami. We went left the ship at about 9:30 and it was a mess as people were searching for their luggage. Even though we had no baggage to claim, we were winding around in that line for about half an hour. The actual time getting through immigration was mere seconds.

Coming back to the ship after a visit to Total Wine was even worse. The signage was poor and although we could see the Riviera, the taxi driver had to make another circle outside the Port to get in the proper area. Cars crept along, bumper to bumper. Once there, the officials wanted us to go through all the embarkation procedures again until one of the Riviera staff rescued us and took us straight onto the ship. The lunch in Jacques made us forget about the problems!

So enjoyed the first leg of your cruise, though vicariously!

In just two weeks, we will be on the beautiful Marina for her Caribbean/Trans-Atlantic cruise, to be followed by Lisbon/Rome. I only hope Marina will carry over our unused non-refundable obc's to the second leg on Marina (we have LOTS of obc on the first leg, not so much on the second, and we don't have prepaid grats!).

I telephoned O again yesterday about the carry-over and was told that it wouldn't be since we have two separate booking numbers (as did you), although when I had e-mailed them about two months ago, I was told that they would carry over.

Wish us luck on this count.

Donna

Donna,

We've had B2B cruises with separate booking numbers and our onboard account remained open and credit/bills were carried over from first to second cruise.

Unless things have changed recently, you should be fine.

. I only hope Marina will carry over our unused non-refundable obc's to the second leg on Marina (we have LOTS of obc on the first leg' date=' not so much on the second, and we don't have prepaid grats!).

I telephoned O again yesterday about the carry-over and was told that it wouldn't be since we have two separate booking numbers (as did you), although when I had e-mailed them about two months ago, I was told that they would carry over.

Wish us luck on this count.

Donna[/quote']

It has always been carried over in the past for us on B2B's

Sometime I wonder what people in Res really know ;)

I am just glad I have a great TA who knows everything :halo:

It has always been carried over in the past for us on B2B's

Sometime I wonder what people in Res really know ;)

I agree. Several things seem to be different once you are on the ship.

Miami to Bermuda

We are on our second sea day, arriving in Bermuda Wednesday morning.

Being on this second leg after the Miami to Miami Caribbean cruise is interesting for many reasons.

• This is an older group. We see many more canes and walkers and scooters than we encountered on the first leg.
  • The passengers seem to be much more experienced and familiar with Oceania - at least the ones we have spoken to. People seem to love the sea days and many have done multiple crossings.
  • On the Caribbean cruise there were 8 of us at the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. Yesterday there were about 50 at the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet in Horizons. They are a lively, active bunch arranging tours and excursions with each other, forming groups for trivia, finding others to play paddle tennis or play chess, and just putting faces to the people whom they have conversed with on the forum.
  • Being so many sea days many are organizing their different ways of spending these days. All the culinary classes are filled, with additional ones being added. The artists loft seems to be filled and the library comfy chairs are in demand. Of course the cooler weather plays a part.

Yesterday we did our first culinary class - Bistro By Candlelight - a bit whimsical in the name as open flame is forbidden on the ship, even to the point of flambéing anything. Kellie, the Culinary Instructor, led a lively, informative class which appealed to those of us who enjoy cooking to the reluctant husbands who wondered how Kellie and her team slivered the almonds so evenly.

In the 90 minutes we prepared the Bistro classics Steak Diane, haricots almandine, pommes dauphinoise (those yummy French scalloped potatoes) and a quick, easy tart tatin. We enjoyed the fruit of our labour with a glass of Bordeaux and a shot of Calvados. It surprised us how many did not stay to eat. Either dinner reservations or the pitching of the ship may have influenced them. It was a wonderful experience and we look forward to our next class.

Last night, having eaten early at our Culinary Class, we borrowed a DVD from the extensive film library and rewatched Ordinary People. We had forgotten what a fine movie it is with so many good actors including a young Elizabeth McGovern and Timothy Hutton.

Today we are joining a wine tasting - World Wines. This evening we have a reservation at La Reserve - Odyssey menu. More to come tomorrow on these experiences.

We are loving Oceania and feel we made the right choice to brave a TA cruise for our first.

Robjame - we enjoyed meeting you at the Meet and Greet and walking/tasting with you through San Juan. We wish you safe travels and calm seas on part 2 of your journey.

We were telling Marilyn (forget her CC name) that San Juan was our favourite stop and we loved that walking/eating tour by SpoonFed. Thank you so much for the heads up on this tour.

Old San Juan had a more "real" city appeal to it. The food and the history shared by our tour guard were wonderful.

Tip for the day:

We always get confused when we get off the elevators, which side is our stateroom on and which is the front of the ship. Invariably we go to the wrong side. We have met numerous others doing the same thing.

TIP: When you get off the elevators there is always a phone on the wall. This phone is always on the even numbered (port side) of the ship.

We went to a wine tasting yesterday - Wines of the World. It was four countries, two old world (Italy and Austria) and two new world (US and NewZealand). The four tables had a red and a white so there were eight wines in all. A table of nuts, grapes, cheeses and olives was set up. It was a fun way of doing it as there were sommeliers available who answered any questions and described the wines.

Last night we attended La Reserve for the Odyssey menu. While not the same food or high end wines as the Connoisseur menu, he parings set up by Oceania and Wine Spectator were interesting. All the wines were rated as 90 and above. Some of the pairings worked while others were less obvious. Definitely a fun evening.

Today is Bermuda and as we did not arrange a shore excursion we plan to go for a walk and visit the shops near Heritage Wharf at the Naval Dockyards. If the occasion presents itself we hope to find a pub to enjoy a ploughman's lunch and a Dark and Stormy.

Tip for the day:

If the occasion presents itself we hope to find a pub to enjoy a ploughman's lunch and a Dark and Stormy.

Now you're talking, Robjame! A ploughman's lunch and a Dark and Stormy = yummy!

Enjoy your cruise. We will be following behind you on the Marina on 4-10!

Itinerary changed

Last night the captain informed us that things had changed. Our next stop after leaving Bermuda was to be the Azores on Monday April 3. However, a storm has been forecast and we are heading south to avoid the worst. As such we are scheduled to miss the Azores and arrive instead at Madeira on Tuesday April 4. This results in one more day at sea - 5 instead of 4. He also told us that things would get a bit choppy starting today. Already at 10 am we notice the whitecaps and larger swells which are moving the ship considerably. A wine tasting which we are booked for has been changed from Toscana to Red Ginger on Level 5 - a bit more stable. It seems like i will be able to give the patch a bit of a workout. So far so good. Here's hoping.

Please tell Marilyn..I miss her and cant wait to see her in November..

Jancruz1

We haven't seen Marilyn since the Meet & Greet. We seem to run into the same people all the time. Eating dinner in Jacques last night we remarked that we would not recognize any of the other diners as being on our cruise.

Yesterday the internet was spotty and unstable. If indeed they are using satellite it may have been that they were having trouble locking into a stable signal. The captain informed us that we were experiencing 18 foot seas but, as they were from the aft, we were able to do 18 knots.

We attended another wine tasting yesterday, comparing old world and new world wines. It was interesting to experience the differences. Today is a Connoisseur wine tasting which sounds interesting as the chef is making up special canapés. The highlight will be caviar paired with Dom Perignon.

We are enjoying breakfast in our room before we put in another sea day. Lots to do.

Monday April 3

We are on our fifth sea day, due to the necessity to avoid a storm and head farther south. As mentioned before, we will miss stopping at the Azores and will land tomorrow at Funchal, Madeira. Any suggestions for walking destinations? Madeira tasting perhaps?

Because of the ship movement we have not been able to exercise the way we would like. Usually we walk around the upper pool deck early each morning (7:30), combined with rest stops at baristas for a skinny cappuccino sprinkled with cinnamon. Back to that routine this morning. Several of the officers drop in to baristas as well and it is wonderful place for specialty coffees and conversation. What a plus baristas is for Oceania travellers.

After our morning walks we have been in the habit of having breakfast in our room - on the balcony when we were on the Caribbean leg. Kudos to the kitchen for the way the breakfast arrives hot each morning. The omelettes, the sunny side up eggs, the bacon, the sausage, the porridge all arrive warm to hot. The coffee is hot. The toast tends to be the temperature you find in the UK but that is fine.

This morning was a real treat. One day out of Madeira, while having our coffee on the balcony, we were graced by two dolphins who ran along side the ship beside our balcony a mere 50 yards away. After 5 days at sea you probably think we are suffering the same delusions and visions as the Ancient Mariner but THERE WERE DOLPHINS. I do confess on first seeing the fins as they cut through the water, to shouting to Sandra, “Look, Sharks!” Looking for an albatross.

Being my first cruise ever, I had done extensive research on life aboard a cruise ship. As such, after 18 days aboard, I have come to some observations that are counter to what I had read. Others have been verified. I am not saying that these things were wrong as they may have been corrected.

Food has been served hot. Not once in any of the restaurants have we been served food that was the wrong temperature.

We are in cabin 11042, directly under the overhang of the pool. We have heard music when there were pool parties, but not the scraping of rearranged deck chairs reported by some. We have heard the rolling of the laundry trolley as they set up clean coverings for the deck chairs but this has been around 8am.

We have never had to wait more than a minute or two for an elevator. No line butting at the elevator or at the buffet.

We have had no trouble getting extra bookings for the specialty restaurants. We have yet to go to the MDR.

We have really enjoyed taking the culinary courses on board. Kellie is wonderful and usually we have ended with our dinner from what we cook. Lots of great tips if you are a foodie or into that sort of thing.

Last night we had room service and enjoyed dinner in the room while we watched a borrowed DVD from the extensive collection on the ship. I often order a Cobb salad and the one I had last night from room service was perhaps the best one ever, and that includes ones from the Brown Derby, the originator of the Cobb salad. We shared a pizza and it was the same Margaritta pizza that we enjoy in Terrace - thin crust, cheesy with basil leaves.

We have been told that the rumbling you feel/hear sometimes is the stabilizers being run out or in as required.

Thank you to those who suggested taking our own wine on board. We brought 12 bottles for the first leg and an additional 9 bottles for the second leg when in Miami. Asking each time at Total Wine got us 20% off of our purchases. No one cared at all when we came on board with these bottles. We have gladly paid the $25 corkage each time and believe it has allowed us to try some great wine. The sommeliers are always invited to taste the wine when they uncork it which they are very pleased to do. Several have remarked to us that it is definitely the right move as they comment on the wine. A $50 bottle of wine from Total Wines plus a $25 corkage ends up to be pretty good value and pretty good wine!

Our 2 legs, B2B, were booked separately with different booking numbers. The OBC has been combined with carry over from leg 1 to leg 2.

A Transatlantic advantage is the gradual time change - an hour a day for 5 days. It is easy for us to adjust to, avoiding jet lag.

We have enjoyed meeting some very special people by sharing a table at dinner, going on an excursion organized by a CC member, attending La Reserve meals. One of the highlights for us was a Privé experience organized by Mike on our CC roll call. I really recommend this as the experience and the opportunity to share a wonderful meal with new friends is not to be forgotten.

Annoyances - internet down for 2 hours this am, 3 washing machines out of order out of 3 on our floor, and no record of our TA's OBC allowance. Reception has asked us to have the TA verify it offering use of free telephone. These 3 items are easily managed!

Do a tour in Madeira by all means. Go up over the mountain and to the other side. We used Daniels Taxi service(which is a tour company) when we did it. There are others.

There is also the wicker tobaggans that people ride down the hills. There are lovely gardens there. Also there is a HOHO bus there.

On my last TA we were supposed to go to the Azores and wound up in Madeira. Seems common. It really is a beautiful island.

Last night, at about 9:30 local time we passed the rock of Gibraltar. The lights of towns and cities were seen for some time before the actual sighting of Gibraltar however it was very obvious when the huge “rock” came in view. It was lit and what an intriguing sight.

Yesterday we attended a culinary tour in Tangier. After a 30 minute orientation, the fourteen of us boarded a bus and took us to the souk (market). We were ushered through fruits and vegetables, herbs and spices, flowers, fresh meat, a fish market and handmade ceramics. Your senses are bombarded by the smells, colours, sounds, feel and tastes of the marketplace. Our local guide interacted with the stall owners at various locations. As tangine cooking was our central theme, the Oceania staff bought spices, herbs, olives for our cooking.

A typical Moroccan meal was provided which included Moroccan beer, soup, b’stilla, couscous, tangine chicken and vegetables, Moroccan pastries and mint tea. Musicians played while we ate. The people at the restaurant could not have been more accommodating to our group, describing the food and the cooking.

Our walk back to the bus took us through narrow lanes and alleyways, dodging people attempting to sell all manner of crafts and foods. We shared the route with people bustling to market, and motorized vehicles.

Upon return to the ship two different tanginess were prepared along with explanations and sampling of ingredients. Each participant was given a cup of “ras el hanout” spice mix. This Moroccan spice mix varies with each spice shop and means “top shelf”, the term describing this mixture. The smell is exotic and mouth-watering.

We would not have felt comfortable doing this excursion in Tangier on our own.

As our cruise comes to an end in Barcelona in two days, there are certain experiences and events which really stand out. These will be etched in our memories.

• wine tastings
  • meals at La Reserve
  • our meal at Privé
  • the two culinary excursions in Antigua and Tangier
  • the culinary classes we attended for Greek food, tapas, and bistro cooking

We are most impressed by:

• the quality and friendliness of service
  • the consistently excellent food everywhere in the ship
  • complimentary buses when the city centre is a distance from the wharf
  • the ability to bring wine on board
  • the staff knowing our name
  • the attention to detail
  • The number of activities available
  • baristas
  • the many nooks and crannies on the ship to enjoy some quieter times

Last night, at about 9:30 local time we passed the rock of Gibraltar. The lights of towns and cities were seen for some time before the actual sighting of Gibraltar however it was very obvious when the huge “rock” came in view. It was lit and what an intriguing sight.

Yesterday we attended a culinary tour in Tangier. After a 30 minute orientation, the fourteen of us boarded a bus and took us to the souk (market). We were ushered through fruits and vegetables, herbs and spices, flowers, fresh meat, a fish market and handmade ceramics. Your senses are bombarded by the smells, colours, sounds, feel and tastes of the marketplace. Our local guide interacted with the stall owners at various locations. As tangine cooking was our central theme, the Oceania staff bought spices, herbs, olives for our cooking.

A typical Moroccan meal was provided which included Moroccan beer, soup, b’stilla, couscous, tangine chicken and vegetables, Moroccan pastries and mint tea. Musicians played while we ate. The people at the restaurant could not have been more accommodating to our group, describing the food and the cooking.

Our walk back to the bus took us through narrow lanes and alleyways, dodging people attempting to sell all manner of crafts and foods. We shared the route with people bustling to market, and motorized vehicles.

Upon return to the ship two different tanginess were prepared along with explanations and sampling of ingredients. Each participant was given a cup of “ras el hanout” spice mix. This Moroccan spice mix varies with each spice shop and means “top shelf”, the term describing this mixture. The smell is exotic and mouth-watering.

We would not have felt comfortable doing this excursion in Tangier on our own.

As our cruise comes to an end in Barcelona in two days, there are certain experiences and events which really stand out. These will be etched in our memories.

• wine tastings
  • meals at La Reserve
  • our meal at Privé
  • the two culinary excursions in Antigua and Tangier
  • the culinary classes we attended for Greek food, tapas, and bistro cooking

We are most impressed by:

• the quality and friendliness of service
  • the consistently excellent food everywhere in the ship
  • complimentary buses when the city centre is a distance from the wharf
  • the ability to bring wine on board
  • the staff knowing our name
  • the attention to detail
  • The number of activities available
  • baristas
  • the many nooks and crannies on the ship to enjoy some quieter times

I wish you could carry on cruising forever! Not quite in the same manner as the fabled Flying Dutchman, obviously. I have so enjoyed your posts and will be sad when your cruise is over. Your concise manner and use of the English language makes me think you must be a writer. If not - why not? Thank you for the entertaining and informative diary.

I wish you could carry on cruising forever! Not quite in the same manner as the fabled Flying Dutchman, obviously. I have so enjoyed your posts and will be sad when your cruise is over. Your concise manner and use of the English language makes me think you must be a writer. If not - why not? Thank you for the entertaining and informative diary.

Ditto.

An interesting read from a first time cruiser - a fresh perspective.

I suspect the OP is hooked :D