Shorts now part of the casual dress code

I also live in NC. I see people wearing "nice" shorts and polo shirts in restaurants. And yes the idea of "class" is an artificial creation so some can feel superior. As to etiquette, I don't care which fork you use, which hand you eat with and whether you are wearing shorts or a suit. It's more than that that makes a person.

In Florida shorts is a standard sighting in restaurants, and as is the case, some of them 'should have been left at home'. It doesn't ruin my dinner. There are some personal hygiene issues that are more important than 'shorts or pants'.

Tank tops on men in MDR is just bad manners. It's slovenly. ;)

It's certainly not my style. But if they are clean I don't much care what others do. I can see why the cruise line would prohibit this style in the MDR.

I also live in NC. I see people wearing "nice" shorts and polo shirts in restaurants. And yes the idea of "class" is an artificial creation so some can feel superior. As to etiquette, I don't care which fork you use, which hand you eat with and whether you are wearing shorts or a suit. It's more than that that makes a person.

You are so right because here in Charlotte as you know, you see all styles of clothing in restaurants, I don't care what class or stars the restaurant has!

I like that you brought up the etiquette thing because what some of the muckity mucks of upper society need to realize is that everybody wasn't brought up the same and in the same places in society and had the same opportunities to experience how the so called upper class live and dress. While people are looking at people in shorts etc. in disgust, it could very well be that the clothing they wear at dinner is appropriate for where they have come from and is not looked down or frowned upon until they come on a cruise and run across people who think that all of society should conform to the way they think people ought to dress and should know which order to use the silverware. I have been to many places around the world during my 20 years in the military and have experienced different cultures and I have lived on both sides of the clichéd "Tracks" and know that everybody cannot be put into a box to conform to someone else's standards. :cool:

I have 2 cruises booked for this year on RCCL not sure if we will stay with RCCL or go back to another line after, I think tank tops is a stupid idea for MDR , even many resorts such as Sandals have a stricter dress code ( and better food than MDR)

The amount of adults that think everyone is going to rush out and buy tank tops to wear to dinner is shocking and sad. Use a little critical thinking. It's good to see the blatant sexism on this topic is alive and well though. No surprise with that.

Most people have tank tops , it is my normal dress during the day , but not for dinner, seems RCCL wants to attract a lower class of customers

Must be a regional thing because I have never seen my Dad, my brothers, my husband or my son in a tank top other than a basketball shirt to be worn during a game.

Must be a regional thing because I have never seen my Dad, my brothers, my husband or my son in a tank top other than a basketball shirt to be worn during a game.

I think it is, never owned them when living up north , in Texas where it is about 100 every day during the summer, I would not wear tank tops to anything but a fast food place for lunch. Do not even wear shorts to the better restaurant for dinner

I keep reading that baseball caps are not allowed. So, other kinds of hats ARE allowed?

I would not be so fast to say baseball caps are not allowed. Just returned from Frerdom and there were several being worn in MDR, even one on formal night. My dinner was still very good...did not appear to alter the taste at all or the mood of my table mates.

I didn't read the whole thread. Can I still wear long pants in the MDR?

Only if you roll them up above the knees before you enter the MDR. Once you've entered the MDR you can roll them back down prior to being seated. No one will see your legs under the table. :D

Most people have tank tops , it is my normal dress during the day , but not for dinner, seems RCCL wants to attract a lower class of customers

Most of the people that wear those tank tops think that they look a lot better in them than they really do.;)

Okay, so nice linen or cotton high end designer shorts are bad but polyester plaid stretch pants from Walmart are good.....Got it.

I'm with the group that doesn't believe for a minute there will be a herd of tank top wearing hairy arm pitted men descending on the MDR en masse. Unless it's a Bear's cruise.

It will be interesting to see if there is a change in the suite lounge attire since I don't think shorts were "allowed" at night.

Most of the people that wear those tank tops think that they look a lot better in them than they really do.;)

Unfortunately, most of the people that wear tuxes also think that they look a lot better in them than they really do.;p