Sick and tired of the Solo's getting ripped off.

Just checked the new sailings for New England and Bermuda.

The double rate is $863 and when I click a studio becomes $1163 which hasn't added tax.

I haven't signed in so no C/A discount a whopping diamond of $63 after the pice had gone up again. Where was the $100. Must be a solo thing.

If you are going to say Solo balacony rate don't add .258% and than it becomes a Solo rate.

Do they think we are stupid. I am getting beyond done. The lake cabin is looking better every day!

One Exhausted Solo. Stop ripping us the hell off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Is the double rate of $863 pp? If so, then the studio is significantly cheaper at $1163 pp since there's just one. I understand your frustration on the C&A discount but I think everyone gets the prorated amounts with the Xx% off sales, but I'm not seeing where solos are getting "ripped off".

I do sail solo, so I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand the math.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I travel a lot. When I stay in a hotel by myself, I pay exactly twice as much as when there are two of us. At least sailing solo you save on port charges and taxes. Sometimes you will find you are better off booking for yourself and a phantom second person who becomes a no show than booking a solo cabin.

Is the double rate of $863 pp? If so, then the studio is significantly cheaper at $1163 pp since there's just one. I understand your frustration on the C&A discount but I think everyone gets the prorated amounts with the Xx% off sales, but I'm not seeing where solos are getting "ripped off".

$863 is listed as pp for balcony so you feel it is acceptable to add another $300/.258% ontop and stick you in a tiny solo balcony cabin and RCI calls it a solo balacony rate. That is ripping solo's off. I know on a straight normal cabin you pay %15 higher as a solo. That means it costs you 215% more than actually 2 people in the same cabin. It is in the metric of when less $% comes off you pay more. Do the Math.

I've spoken to C&A and they don't care. Well when others get as sick as me and the industry starts tanking, because the economy is tanking they will care. We are basically on a bubble again. It is going to break.

Why these sales are a pure joke. 30% off a just marked up 50% does not a sale make!

It's been fun! This solo is beyond tired of getting ripped off paying 25% to 30% higher after the 200% to have the right to board a ship. Hence I didn't book and nor was I dropping $250.00 deposit. Lake house is looking better every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

So a solo balcony is $1163 and a double balcony is $1726?

So the solo is 133% more. That seems pretty reasonable to me. If you're talking about BOGOHP, then 133% is still less than 150%.

I think it's cheaper on Norwegian though, so go there?

Take a friend who will pay their own way...then you get the "per person" rate.

The cruise lines price the cabins where they need the prices to be to make a profit.. your choice whether to spend money with them, or not!

I travel a lot. When I stay in a hotel by myself, I pay exactly twice as much as when there are two of us. At least sailing solo you save on port charges and taxes. Sometimes you will find you are better off booking for yourself and a phantom second person who becomes a no show than booking a solo cabin.

??????? When I travel by myself, I pay, say, $150/night for a double room (two beds). When my husband and I travel together, we pay $150 per night for the same room. If two of my sons were travelling with us, we would pay $150/night for the same room.

If I alone or my husband and I together were staying in a King room (one bed), we might pay the same as a double room, or we might pay slightly less (depends on the hotel). But the slightly less would never be half the price of a double (two-bed) room.

Isn't this pretty much how it works on cruise ships? One person in a cabin designed for two people should expect to pay the same for that cabin that two people would pay. That is the value of the cabin to the cruiseline. Sad, but true. Any discount at all for singles is an accommodation, no? And even if a cruiseline offers cabins designed for one person, the onboard services -- such as cabin cleaning, laundry, water, electricity generation, etc., though perhaps slightly lower for one than for two people, are certainly not half as much! And onboard revenues for one person are probably closer to half of what two would bring in...

Really?

I just did mock reservations in Miami, New York and Houston...using the same dates...on the sites for Hilton, Holiday Inn, Marriot and Best Western (searching all brands under their umbrella). With the search parameters of 1 room and 1 adult and then again with 1 room and 2 adults I got the exact same rates per room...and I took them all the way to needing to enter a card number to hold the room.

Either you are getting hosed or I am hosing the hotels.

Your hotel rate doesn't include food/beverages or entertainment. And many if not most hotels do charge more per person beyond 2 in a room. What exactly do the additional people use that costs them more? Use a couple towels?

I think what they're saying is, if a hotel room is $200 and one person stays in it, it's $200 per person. If 2 people stay, it's $100 per person. Basically the room is the same for a single or double.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Your hotel rate doesn't include food/beverages or entertainment. And many if not most hotels do charge more per person beyond 2 in a room. What exactly do the additional people use that costs them more? Use a couple towels?

That is not what gerif said. He stated "When I stay in a hotel by myself, I pay exactly twice as much as when there are two of us." That simply is not true...and he didn't mention more than 2 in a room.

I know what the hotel rate includes (and sometimes it does include a meal...depending on your definition of breakfast). Unless a solo traveler staying in a hotel decides to eat and drink twice as much as they normally eat and drink they will not pay more per person.

I also understand that a cruise line price is the price PER PERSON and not PER CABIN. So to use round number for easy math, a quoted price of $500 means the cabin is $1,000. Therefore they are giving a discount to solo travelers be charging the lower of supplement or the "sale" price.

I have never sailed solo and have not paid close attention to the many threads. Is the reduction the same percentage regardless of the cabin category?

To clarify for the OP, at 340 points you get a 150% single supplement.

Bob, is right. it is 150% solo supplement and RCI's math as explained to me for cruises being booked under this current promotion works in this order as follows -

they take the full cost of the cabin -- it must be a rack rate because we never really see the initial cabin cost

then they subtract whatever your balcony discount may be (usually prorated because of the sale),

they then multiply that rate by .75 to get the actual cost of the cabin

and then they take the 30% off that.

After that, they add the port charges and voila! -- the price of your cabin

Now, it doesn't take a PHD in Math. to understand that by applying the discounts in this order rather than in the reverse order that although we consumers are receiving the promotions/perks/sales they advertise, it is in the manner that puts more money into RC's pocket.

I also sail solo and may not like it but I also pay for 2 (or 4) people in a hotel room whenever I book - it is like a ship cabin - price is per room not person. I prefer to cruise (found a land coach tour in Europe made cruising look like a bargain) and prefer the freedom that going solo without room mates allows. Don't feel "ripped off" - if you feel that way find another type of vacation or share a room.

I think what they're saying is, if a hotel room is $200 and one person stays in it, it's $200 per person. If 2 people stay, it's $100 per person. Basically the room is the same for a single or double.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thank you, this is what I meant. If there are two in the room, I would pay half what I would pay if solo.

I have to agree with the OP.

She is talking about the single studios, which are more like a closet, depending on which ship you are on.

I know - we had one. The bed was about a twin, with no place for chairs, and barely room to walk.

These cabins were originally supposed to be restricted to solos, and was supposed to be priced with no single supplement.

Any single who books a single balcony studio does not get double points, because there is supposed to be no supplement.

However, in truth, they have been pricing these cabins, based upon availability, and since there are so few of them, often they cost more than a regular cabin.

Royal does need to correct the pricing of these cabins, and stop pricing them like regular cabins, based upon availability, like regular cabins are.

If they have priced you out definitely head to the lake. I do not like the studios on any ship so I'm always looking for a regular size cabin.

I started booking solo cruises after the 60 and 45 day mark. Great deals to be had. I'm single and have the flexibility to cruise whenever I want to so last minute deals work for me. My price point is $1250/balcony. If I can get anywhere near that for a balcony it's a score for me. And I'll jump on a guarantee balcony cabin in a heart beat. Just get me on the ship.

If I need a cruise because I'm an addict and sometimes I just need to jump on a ship, any ship then I look for the cheapest inside, OV, port hole or guarantee I can find for 4 or 5 nights. Usually between Galveston, NOLA and Mobile I can find something cheap around $600.

Cruising is still a great value for me as a solo so I continue to cruise. But I do have to be a little more vigilant when I'm searching for a cruise.

"However, in truth, they have been pricing these cabins, based upon availability, and since there are so few of them, often they cost more than a regular cabin." That is seriously a shame. I know there has to be more people like myself too. Maybe we can't afford for all 3 of us to cruise all the time, so I wouldn't mind doing a solo cabin but I will end up paying for double occupancy. So I don't book period. :loudcry:

I have to agree with the OP.

She is talking about the single studios, which are more like a closet, depending on which ship you are on.

I know - we had one. The bed was about a twin, with no place for chairs, and barely room to walk.

These cabins were originally supposed to be restricted to solos, and was supposed to be priced with no single supplement.

Any single who books a single balcony studio does not get double points, because there is supposed to be no supplement.

However, in truth, they have been pricing these cabins, based upon availability, and since there are so few of them, often they cost more than a regular cabin.

Royal does need to correct the pricing of these cabins, and stop pricing them like regular cabins, based upon availability, like regular cabins are.

The one thing that keeps coming up is comparing a cabin on a cruise ship with a hotel room. When you stay in a hotel room, you are paying for accommodations, not an all-inclusive vacation, with meals for two people. I can guarantee you that when I go to some luxury all-inclusive resort on land, I do not pay double--they factor out the food they do not have to expend on the second person. Even my upcoming post-Transatlantic stay in Copenhagen in a few weeks, which includes breakfast, has a lower price for one guest than for two for the same room.

Even worse on some cruise lines, they charge MORE than 200%, or show no availability when booking (even though there's plenty of availability for double occupancy) because they figure two people are worth more in on-board revenue, a figure I take issue with when you consider that a solo is more likely to use the ship's excursions, go to the bar for drinks instead of imbibing in their cabin with their partner, and so on. But my main point is that comparing an all-inclusive cruise with a simple hotel room is just not a fair analogy.

I think part of the problem is that RCCL allows two people to stay in a studio. That, in my opinion, should be stopped. I think that is part of what drives the price up.

Having said that, one thing I love about Anthem is that the Studio rooms usually (I said usually, not always) are indeed the double occupancy rate. In other words last year I booked an inside studio on Anthem and the double rate for an inside room was $743. My price for an inside studio was $743.

I am not angry like the OP but do understand the frustration. BTW - last night I priced out a 7 night on Anthem for Nov 2018 and the studio balcony was over $1000 MORE than a regular balcony. That was before I logged in. Once I logged in the price was pretty close to the double occupancy rate - not exact, but close.

Now for regular rooms I have no problem at all paying the 200% single supplement because I follow the logic of a hotel room. I will be one happy camper to make 340 points though so I pay less. But that will be awhile...

People who compare hotel rooms to cruise cabins for one or two people are comparing Passion Fruit and Prickly Pear.

The price of a hotel room on a web site is per room. The room will cost exactly the same for the person staying alone as will for the couple.

The price of a cruise cabin on the web site is per person.

Now, there are also other factors that go into the pricing but that also applies to hotels. For example, if I want to book a weekend at a golf resort and have it include a round of golf each day I will pay more for my room that someone who simply wants to sleep and relax by the pool.

People who compare hotel rooms to cruise cabins for one or two people are comparing Passion Fruit and Prickly Pear.

The price of a hotel room on a web site is per room. The room will cost exactly the same for the person staying alone as will for the couple.

The price of a cruise cabin on the web site is per person.

Now, there are also other factors that go into the pricing but that also applies to hotels. For example, if I want to book a weekend at a golf resort and have it include a round of golf each day I will pay more for my room that someone who simply wants to sleep and relax by the pool.

Not all hotels. Some charge more for 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

Not all hotels. Some charge more for 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

Which ones? I have stayed at hotels owned by most (if not all) of the major names and have never seen a room rate that is higher for two adults than it is for one.

Not saying you are 100% wrong...but would like to know the name of one so I can verify it is true.

Which ones? I have stayed at hotels owned by most (if not all) of the major names and have never seen a room rate that is higher for two adults than it is for one.

Not saying you are 100% wrong...but would like to know the name of one so I can verify it is true.

Embassy Suites Ft. Lauderdale, Night of April 29th.

1 Guest

fd6b013f51643d555835fe8c3608e65a.jpg

4 Guests

3b7482b080f4db3ed892121c48c54c47.jpg

2 Guests

73745ed45ae8196e161153be38598470.jpg

King bed rooms change, while double stay the same.

Sent from a mobile device