Dreaded question every time I plan a cruise

bnorris10

I am so tired of friends/family or even just random people whom always feel the need to say or ask "How can you cruise so much?"

It's gotten to the point I don't even like telling people I am going on a cruise because they are like of course you are, you cruise all the time, how can you afford that, take me with you blah blah

That's why I don't like Carnival pushing everything on facebook. Then everyone knows when you're going on a cruise.

Its just in how you budget and research for vacation. I take advantage of every possible way to save on vacation expenses and we typically do one cruise and one land vacation per year.

We have a SW premier card which we earn companion pass on so flights are typically $11 for two to anywhere they fly domestically. We have also used SW points to book hotels for the one night stay before a cruise so zero charges there.

We book about 18 months in advance, get the reduced deposit sales and the lower rates. Plus we score the choice of the nice suites because they are available early.

We buy the gift cards for a 10% discount. Saved $450 on our upcoming cruise fare, cheers and cruise cash!

We also don't have any kids to take care of. They are a true money pit....lolol We have just one goofy boxer named Tito. :)

I should probably skip a year of vacations because they end up costing us as much as it would to get a nice new deck and firepit in the backyard. Maybe next year.

Just don't ever let anyone make you feel guilty for enjoying your life and spending hard earned money on whatever you want!

Some of the rudest remarks I have heard were from family - Actually had someone tell me yah we were all talking and think you hit the lottery

My grandma left a little quote...she was my favorite and I say was "healing Judgement" in this lifetime. She did a wonderful job keeping her mouth shut but sometimes the "grand dig". It is the judgement and control and what one learned around money at the source of this one...white lies are forgiven in heaven...possibly congratulated. Loved your comment.

Yah I get that all the time that I should be helping them out yet like you said they smoke and drink etc

Yup save and budget - and sometimes i just splurge and go for the hell of it

Amen bnorris, Amen.

Speaking as someone who may be guilty of saying the same thing to someone about cruising, it's just envy. I would love to cruise more if I could get the time off work and hope my time is coming someday. BTW my biggest obstacle to cruising is airline flight prices. If I lived within easy driving distance to a good port I would probably be able to squeeze more than one in a year.

It is really hard for a lot of us and being landlocked and going through what the last and coming corrections have been in economy.

BTW my biggest obstacle to cruising is airline flight prices. If I lived within easy driving distance to a good port I would probably be able to squeeze more than one in a year.

What's a good port? Your profile says you are in Huntsville Alabama, that is about 6 and a half hours from New Orleans. We drive that far for a weekend of kayaking. You're about 11 hours from Canaveral, a bit longer, but still not a difficult drive.

It took me too many days driving back from Oregon last time and as a solo unit. Fatigue and chronic pain stuff. I love to drive but would be worn out and unable to enjoy my cruise unless it was a 3 hrs top thing and 2 nights before in a hotel resting. And I have a miracle 19 year old Dodge Stratus ES. LOL...paid for with winter studs and all weathers to change every needed season.

My family never comments, I'm pretty sure they just think H and I are rich-hahahahaha yeah right. The only person that makes this comment to me is a coworker/friend and we have always been open about our finances, so I know what her bills and stuff are. So I tell her, we live in a little fixer upper house, we paid off our cars, we don't pay for TV, we don't have expensive cell phone plans, I don't get my hair and nails done every other week, AND the big one....we chose NOT to have kids! :)
That certainly is the big one . ;)

It seems like a question that people as simply to engage you in conversation abpit something you clearly like to do. Don't take it so hard enlighten them and maybe they will someday join in the fun.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

I agree that most people are simply making innocuous small talk . I have stopped trying to get people to cruise . If they want info , I'm happy to share

"We also don't have any kids to take care of. They are a true money pit....lolol We have just one goofy boxer named Tito. :)"

Our goofy boxer has been kicked out of doggy day care. She is not aggressive but brings out the aggressiveness in other dogs - something another boxer parent may understand :) It now costs $300 for her to stay at a new doggy boarding facility.

Back on topic: I get annoyed when people who have never been on a cruise ship tell me how unsafe it is.

Being from the midwest - I try to tell myself that I'm am almost equally close to all ports. Actually, New Orleans is the probably the closest and one of my favorites. It is within driving distance unless the roads between here & there are covered in ice and crazy drivers :(

People don't ask me how I can afford it, but I always get asked, "Aren't you afraid that the ship will sink? What about the Titanic?"

My usual sarcastic response to questions is, "If there are icebergs in the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean Sea, we've got bigger issues than the ship sinking." I've also told them that I'm more likely to be in a car wreck on the way to the ship than being in a shipwreck.

People don't ask me how I can afford it, but I always get asked, "Aren't you afraid that the ship will sink? What about the Titanic?"

My usual sarcastic response to questions is, "If there are icebergs in the Gulf of Mexico or the Caribbean Sea, we've got bigger issues than the ship sinking." I've also told them that I'm more likely to be in a car wreck on the way to the ship than being in a shipwreck.

I think you have a better chance of s plane crash, honestly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

We do not have cable, we have no contract cell phones, do not drink or smoke. We fix almost everything ourselves. We do not eat out (okay occasionally but it's rare) and we just do not spend money on much of anything else. No private schools for the kids, no starbucks, we drive our cars for as long as they will go (one on 6 years and one on 11 years now and looks like it has another 11 in it. God bless honda.), no country clubs or fitness memberships (just excercise outside)-- but most people do not live like this. Most people trade in their cars every three years and end up with huge car payments every month. Sure, new cars are nice and so is eating at restaurants, but we have decided to cruise instead and everyone has a right to spend their money how they darn well please. And when people make comments to us about cruising 3 or 4 times a year I also find it super annoying. "I don't say wow you traded in you three year old infiniti suv for a new acura suv, how do you afford it?"

Edited by Cafedumonde

When people make comments to us about cruising 3 or 4 times a year I also find it super annoying. "I don't say wow you traded in you three year old infiniti suv for a new acura suv, how do you afford it?"

Maybe you should . ;p

We do not have cable, we have no contract cell phones, do not drink or smoke. We fix almost everything ourselves. We do not eat out (okay occasionally but it's rare) and we just do not spend money on much of anything else. No private schools for the kids, no starbucks, we drive our cars for as long as they will go (one on 6 years and one on 11 years now and looks like it has another 11 in it. God bless honda.), no country clubs or fitness memberships (just excercise outside)-- but most people do not live like this. Most people trade in their cars every three years and end up with huge car payments every month. Sure, new cars are nice and so is eating at restaurants, but we have decided to cruise instead and everyone has a right to spend their money how they darn well please. And when people make comments to us about cruising 3 or 4 times a year I also find it super annoying. "I don't say wow you traded in you three year old infiniti suv for a new acura suv, how do you afford it?"

Going out to EAT is like torture for my wife and I no matter where we go, we learned a long time ago that Eating Out Increases Your Waistline while Decreasing Your Bank Account. Even if it was Free we still wouldn't do it except our Kids and other Family and Friends enjoy it so we go along with it when we have to. We hit the Buffet on any Ship we are on and then head for the Dance Classes, Games, Concerts, Exercise Classes and other Activities. And one more thing, not only do we not blow a bunch of money "Dining" we always weigh a few pounds less when we get

home after every Cruise and every Vacation. (We do like our German Cars but we buy what we can pay cash for)

I always get the proverbial, "You and those cruises"! Maybe I do talk about cruises too much, but I cannot help it. I just love cruising. Sadly, I have not done a cruise in years due to me working on my PhD right now. As soon as I graduate though...

Easy. Just say that you make your life choices, just as they make theirs. I'm in my 40's and don't have kids, by choice, and I love to travel. I'm often given the 3rd degree about where I'm going and "I wish I could do that" and "must be nice". There are some people I choose not to tell and they only find out through the grapevine. I just say something along the lines of "We all make life choices in regards to our priorities".

I always get " ANOTHER CRUISE?" or " Haven't you been to Cozumel,etc...many times?" Yes I do cruise a lot for a teacher. It's hard to find the time but I make time. Most times it's myself and DH , sometimes the kiddos aged 25 and 15 will go. I like for my kids to see how others live. I can go to Cozumel,etc. 9 million times and I'll find 9 million different things to do. Each time is something new. I think FAMILY members are the biggest and worst critics. People in my family ( what if the ship sinks?, I don't know how you have the money to go on so many?) husbands family (mainly his 31 year old daughter) oh well you must have money so that means you can help pay my bills and tuition( career college student) It got so bad with family that we don't even tell them we are going or have been. They are just going to hate on it or want something because they think you have a dollar. Friends are mostly curious about things we see or do. We do eat out occasionally but don't go to bars,etc. We don't smoke. We try not to buy lots of stuff to have the latest greatest stuff. My car is a 2001 Toyota, Hubby's is a 2007 Camry. People discard so much good stuff for the latest and greatest. Why? When what you have would probably serve the purpose for 10 more years? I don't have to get there in style..I just have to get there.

I always get " ANOTHER CRUISE?" or " Haven't you been to Cozumel,etc...many times?" Yes I do cruise a lot for a teacher. It's hard to find the time but I make time. Most times it's myself and DH , sometimes the kiddos aged 25 and 15 will go. I like for my kids to see how others live. I can go to Cozumel,etc. 9 million times and I'll find 9 million different things to do. Each time is something new. I think FAMILY members are the biggest and worst critics. People in my family ( what if the ship sinks?, I don't know how you have the money to go on so many?) husbands family (mainly his 31 year old daughter) oh well you must have money so that means you can help pay my bills and tuition( career college student) It got so bad with family that we don't even tell them we are going or have been. They are just going to hate on it or want something because they think you have a dollar. Friends are mostly curious about things we see or do. We do eat out occasionally but don't go to bars,etc. We don't smoke. We try not to buy lots of stuff to have the latest greatest stuff. My car is a 2001 Toyota, Hubby's is a 2007 Camry. People discard so much good stuff for the latest and greatest. Why? When what you have would probably serve the purpose for 10 more years? I don't have to get there in style..I just have to get there.

I get that too, if you have money for that then why do you have to budget presents. We have grown children. Some are very understand, some think our money should be spent on them. Life choices. I hate when people think every moment not on work, needs to be with family. Children are grown. DH and I like to go alone and explore the world.

This next cruise is with some of our grown children. Others not invited. Not everyone has to be invited to everything. People are in different stages, children different ages. Hardest is haters. They think everything should be fair. There is really not a definition for fair.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Forums mobile app

I tend to look up cruises with them and show them that its not a bad deal...especially if you cruise off season during school

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

This is exactly what my hubby does. Pulls up on his phone and shows them. The reaction is always the same. Wonderment and surprise :cool: I tell people that we cruise for less than what we would have spent for car pmts in that year. It's a quick answer and most people can do the math in thier heads.