Cruise oversold

I was not sure if anything had posted the T&Cs yet but I was just reviewing my contract for my upcoming sailing and noticed this. This is not specific to a guarantee but speaks to the cruise line making changes to your reservation:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

So....

the key here to me is the word "lodging"? And does lodging mean your stateroom booking? Or does "lodging" mean any pre or post cruise RCL booked hotels or cruise-tours? I have never seen or put together the word lodging as my stateroom cabin for example, but I guess it could be... yes?

After reading this thread I would never take a guarantee gamble if I had to travel far to port.

Airfare, hotel, parking all at risk if you do get bumped and cannot take any other option at the time.

I know for some it is a budget issue. I would rather hold off and save for when I can book a cabin sans the "guarantee" carrot.

We pay it off very far in advance as we dont like bills hanging around. Our next two are paid off so it done and over with.

If you book a guarantee and then decide not to take the risk of being located somewhere less ideal or not get on the ship at all, could you just pay the difference at some point in advance and turn your "guarantee" into a hard and fixed confirmation?

So....

the key here to me is the word "lodging"? And does lodging mean your stateroom booking? Or does "lodging" mean any pre or post cruise RCL booked hotels or cruise-tours? I have never seen or put together the word lodging as my stateroom cabin for example, but I guess it could be... yes?

If the words "on or off the vessel" apply to the entire sentence starting with the word "Carrier" then I would say... yes. If "on or off the vessel" only applies to the preceding "any activity" then MAYBE...no.

Here is a more serious situation. Lets just say the OP was booked on a Trans Atlantic Cruise and had non refundable airfare to continue their flights Abroad with five nights booked at a hotel that is also non-refundable. Plus they have tours booked at all the ports not booked through Royal Caribbean.

My point is if you book the cruise early then you should not be bumped off. I can see if you book last minute under a special rate and you are a local you could potentially be bumped off but like airlines cruise ships want the business so they should work with the OP.

If I were bumped off a cruise the first thing I would ask for is to get the exact same itinerary or a better one in an upgraded cabin, the cost to stay at the port until the next ship departs, the cost to change my airfare and compensate me for lost days at work.

Then I would ask for my meals to be covered at the port city waiting for the next cruise plus any other incidentals like transportation. I would ask for at least 3 $500 AMEX or Visa Gift Cards or a check that I can deposit right away.

I do understand that Royal Caribbean can overbook a cruise but has to let the customer know in advance and be prepared to negotiate. Once the Final Payment has been processed you have entered into a contract. Its not fair that the passenger would lose part of the fare if they cancel during the Cancellation Period and has Travel Insurance but won't cover everything but Royal can just overbook the cruise ad tell the passenger so sad too bad.

What if this family cannot afford a vacation and saved up a lot of money and drove for even 4 hours to reach the port? What if the family flew in would they now have to fly home?

What if the passenger showed up at the port and tried to force their way on showing they have a valid booking? I mean if I were in the OP's shoes I would still show up at the port and ask to be taken care of.

I don't take no for an answer and would find the right person to take charge even if it means showing up at the pier at 5 AM I would just to get what I paid for.

Great news! We got a room! Its on Deck 8 and not obstructed. God is good!

I didn't really hear the details about the $400 onboard credit because my mind was about to explode.

I just called and asked if they were able to assign us a room yet and she said yes.

Glad I stood my ground and said no.

They definitely need to fix this though.

Thanks for your comments and support. :D

Awesome! We were pulling for you!

I wonder if they stranded any of the 14 others they overbooked?

Have a great cruise!

Following this story....glad the OP got her cabin. I suggest arriving at the pier early and get your sea pass in hand and don't let go!!! ;p

As a former hotel manager, I hated oversold nights and having to walk people to other hotels, it was never a pleasant experience.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

There is a major difference walking someone from one hotel to the other vs walking someone from a cruise that onyl departs once a week or perhaps only twice a season like a reposittioning cruise.

Here is a more serious situation. Lets just say the OP was booked on a Trans Atlantic Cruise and had non refundable airfare to continue their flights Abroad with five nights booked at a hotel that is also non-refundable. Plus they have tours booked at all the ports not booked through Royal Caribbean.

My point is if you book the cruise early then you should not be bumped off. I can see if you book last minute under a special rate and you are a local you could potentially be bumped off but like airlines cruise ships want the business so they should work with the OP.

If I were bumped off a cruise the first thing I would ask for is to get the exact same itinerary or a better one in an upgraded cabin, the cost to stay at the port until the next ship departs, the cost to change my airfare and compensate me for lost days at work.

Then I would ask for my meals to be covered at the port city waiting for the next cruise plus any other incidentals like transportation. I would ask for at least 3 $500 AMEX or Visa Gift Cards or a check that I can deposit right away.

I do understand that Royal Caribbean can overbook a cruise but has to let the customer know in advance and be prepared to negotiate. Once the Final Payment has been processed you have entered into a contract. Its not fair that the passenger would lose part of the fare if they cancel during the Cancellation Period and has Travel Insurance but won't cover everything but Royal can just overbook the cruise ad tell the passenger so sad too bad.

What if this family cannot afford a vacation and saved up a lot of money and drove for even 4 hours to reach the port? What if the family flew in would they now have to fly home?

What if the passenger showed up at the port and tried to force their way on showing they have a valid booking? I mean if I were in the OP's shoes I would still show up at the port and ask to be taken care of.

I don't take no for an answer and would find the right person to take charge even if it means showing up at the pier at 5 AM I would just to get what I paid for.

If is a contract of adhesion.

They are foreign flagged.

Subject to Martitime law.

So, unless you were a significant customer with clout, what they do is up to them.

Offer of $400 OBC for a 3 day shorter cruise is a laughable, actually insulting, start, in my opinion. Three days is worth considerably more to me, and to them too, and OBC costs them significantly less than face value. Surprised anyone here would jump on that. OP, what was final outcome?

If you book a guarantee and then decide not to take the risk of being located somewhere less ideal or not get on the ship at all, could you just pay the difference at some point in advance and turn your "guarantee" into a hard and fixed confirmation?

One could do that at any time but very unlikely any person would - they were willing to take the risk of GTY booking, so other than threads like this to scare them, they are very unlikely to pony up the extra. Besides, the % of folks who wait a long time (during which they might change their mind) for an assignment is probably fairly small.

You could ask for anything but other than some OBC, some refunds and an alternate cruise, we have very few reports of RCI offering anything else.

Biker, who thinks some posters don't understand how bumping works in real life nor the contract they agree to when they book..

Offer of $400 OBC for a 3 day shorter cruise is a laughable, actually insulting, start, in my opinion. Three days is worth considerably more to me, and to them too, and OBC costs them significantly less than face value. Surprised anyone here would jump on that. OP, what was final outcome?

She posted earlier that she got a cabin assignment, since we haven't heard since then, she must be on her way! :D

I have posted this before. My co-worker's parents were on an oversold Princess cruise to Alaska. They had booked a balcony stateroom. A couple of weeks before the sailing Princess called to ask if they would consent to taking the cruise in an interior cabin. If they agreed, Princess would refund the cost of the cruise and give them a FCC for a future sailing in a balcony cabin. (same length of cruise).

They declined; but I always wonder what we would have done, back when we were relatively new cruisers. I really think that Princess's offer is the correct way to handle a situation like this. :)

I really think that Princess's offer is the correct way to handle a situation like this. :)

Unless we get a report from someone who actually got bumped, we have no idea what RCI offered.

Also, to the folks that did get bought off, they must have thought it was a good enough deal - that's really the only thing that counts.

We've just swapped our balcony stateroom to a GTY suite! After reading this thread I kind of wish we hadn't. We haven't been allocated a cabin yet and after we changed it the cruise changed to suites sold out. We travel in July so still quite a while away yet, just hope we haven't made a mistake.

Okay. But what would you do or request?

I would have taken the Harmony offer, but requested some refund (based on fare paid - due to losing 3 days), requested 10 points (like the original sailing) and ensured the $400 OBC that was offered was refundable.It is very likely that the people that were bumped, took some offer like this.

Edited by Biker19

After reading this thread I kind of wish we hadn't.

You did the rights thing - this thread is almost unicorn territory - the chances of you being bumped off are so low to not even think about it.Even the chances of getting a call, like to OP, are very slim.

That does NOT sound pleasant. I am now considering paying a couple hundred € more for a non-guarantee cabin to avoid this. The OP was on their way to Ft. Laurderdale, before getting this news. For me I'd have flown into the country of deportation, wouldn't have a flight back, or accommodation and would be HOPPING mad

I am not sure if this would minimize the risk... There is another thread on the Celebrity forum in which is being discussed that clients with assigned cabins were also bumped of their cruise. After lots of talks they were allocated another cabin but not the one they had booked before.

Actually I am very concerned about this issue...

I read that thread about the people who were going to be bumped from the Celebrity cruise. It was disturbing. A poster (twobluecats) said they called contacted the Captain's Club to verify their own reservation and ask about the bumping and they were told:

She said, "we never simply tell someone they no longer have a cabin. We offer compensation and an alternate solution. If the customer is not interested or capable of making a change, they keep their cabin and we move to someone else."

The people who were set to be bumped were told they were bumped, but then they later got different cabins than the ones they booked. It seems to me that Celebrity probably tries to bump people and only ends up doing it to the people who accept their offers. However, it looks like they act like there is no option to stay on the cruise, but somehow there really is. If this ever happens to me, I guess I will insist that being bumped isn't acceptable (unless, of course the offer is too good to pass up).

I read that thread about the people who were going to be bumped from the Celebrity cruise. It was disturbing. A poster (twobluecats) said they called contacted the Captain's Club to verify their own reservation and ask about the bumping and they were told:

She said, "we never simply tell someone they no longer have a cabin. We offer compensation and an alternate solution. If the customer is not interested or capable of making a change, they keep their cabin and we move to someone else."

The people who were set to be bumped were told they were bumped, but then they later got different cabins than the ones they booked. It seems to me that Celebrity probably tries to bump people and only ends up doing it to the people who accept their offers. However, it looks like they act like there is no option to stay on the cruise, but somehow there really is. If this ever happens to me, I guess I will insist that being bumped isn't acceptable (unless, of course the offer is too good to pass up).

Yes, the cruise lines are counting on the fact that people think they have no rights and no leverage in this situation, when they do. Overselling is quite different than a cruise cancellation due to weather, mechanical issues, and other circumstances outside the control of the cruise line.