Full price for a 9 month baby!!!

The infant is also not spending anything on board, not generating any revenue.

That's what so many forget, on this topic and the solo cruises pays more threads.

Ships are revenue driven. It is clear from every discussion I've had that the profic factor is in the on board spend, not the fare.

A baby counts towards a lifeboat space, it is the one argument solos have going for them.

I was going to say I think there must have been a mistake when you looked at pricing. But the mistake is in your comprehension since £1449 times 3 equals £4347. The £3497 that I'm seeing for that cruise shows the 3rd person rate is heavily discounted.

1c758c4a7cd03323b2d1b2c348bf9104.jpg

CB

See my post #66.

RCI is NOT charging full price for the infant!

The actual discount fare is only 1/3.

The OP is mistaken.

CB

For those who did not read the entire thread or missed it the baby is not paying full fare. The OP even acknowledged it. Captain Bazinga, did the fact finding.

Edit to add, the reduced rate is for a baby. It is the same rate for an adult.

That's why our son never sailed with us until he was almost 5, and that was on Princess. They have the same rules as RC.

We paid £99 for our daughter to sail to Norway on Princess. It worked out much cheaper than

P&O for a very similar cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It wasn't the price that bothered us, it was the fact that we didn't have the comforts of home and were in a much smaller confines in the cabin. That is why we limited our "vacation" travel with our DS until he was almost 5. He did airplane travel to on 3 occasions before he was 4, but the destination was a home.

It is the decision that only you yourself can make.

This is a great article to read about travelling with children. It really puts it in a good perspective.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/angie-campanelli/travelling-with-chidren_b_14682540.html

Edit: a direct quote from the article.... "If you're planning a trip with children (primarily under the age of five), the key to maximizing your enjoyment is lowering your expectations. Picture the bottom of the proverbial barrel, then scrape it a little bit, and now we're on track".

I wish I had read this article a couple of years ago. The first cruise we took our DD on was not too bad. She was 15 months old so we knew she was too young for kids programming. We had planned on using the late night baby sitting (after 10 p.m.) a few nights. What we did not realize was that we would be too tired to do it. But the second cruise, she was a little over 2 and let me just say, after that cruise I swore I would never take her on another cruise. We seriously had to decide whether to take her in her stroller around the ship while she was having a tantrum and risk all passengers looking at us, or being in our room and hoping security did not come because of the crying/screaming/carrying on. It was not a fun trip.

I know how you feel OP that it seems crazy to pay for a baby, but that is the way of business. Also, it may not really be full fare. Usually they take the full amount of the far and average among the people so it seems like all are paying the same price, when its really the first 2 paying the bulk and the third paying a reduced rate. Check the total price for 2 and compare it to the price for 3 and you will see what you are paying.

Edit: Nevermind that, looks like you figured that out.

Have a great trip.

Edited by cruzinlisa

So surprised to see that this discussion is still on the first page so I just can't resist stating an opinion from a parent who just returned from a cruise with her eldest 29 year old child, who did his first cruise when he was 7 with his 5 years old brother leaving their 2 year old brother home. My first cruise was my honeymoon 34 years ago.....so let's just say I have been around for awhile.

Kids have always paid "full" fare(3/4 person) plus grats on RCI so that is nothing new, what is new when is people started binging their newborns the cruise line started enforcing age limits.

It's common place to see infants on board, just off the Anthem(3-26) we had 1004 children and the youngest infant I saw had just turned 6 months and yes his parents did have to show his birth certificate, I asked as he was sooooooooo tiny.

On this cruise it was as if we were in Park Slope NY with so many strollers, that is where my son lives , I am in CA.

I personally have never understood why one would want to bring a small person who cannot talk to communicate their needs......simply due to a medical emergency. Murphy's law is always knocking on my door, I guess others have the luck of the Irish.

L:Dri

Edited by land lover

I wish I had read this article a couple of years ago. The first cruise we took our DD on was not too bad. She was 15 months old so we knew she was too young for kids programming. We had planned on using the late night baby sitting (after 10 p.m.) a few nights. What we did not realize was that we would be too tired to do it. But the second cruise, she was a little over 2 and let me just say, after that cruise I swore I would never take her on another cruise. We seriously had to decide whether to take her in her stroller around the ship while she was having a tantrum and risk all passengers looking at us, or being in our room and hoping security did not come because of the crying/screaming/carrying on. It was not a fun trip.

I know how you feel OP that it seems crazy to pay for a baby, but that is the way of business. Also, it may not really be full fare. Usually they take the full amount of the far and average among the people so it seems like all are paying the same price, when its really the first 2 paying the bulk and the third paying a reduced rate. Check the total price for 2 and compare it to the price for 3 and you will see what you are paying.

Edit: Nevermind that, looks like you figured that out.

Have a great trip.

Our experience couldn't be more different from yours. We cruised with our daughter twice (she's 3). Both trips were great. The first time she was too young for kids club. The second time she was able to go. We find cruising very relaxing with her. All food and cleaning etc is taken care of and so we can just focus on family time and having fun. I appreciate not all children are the same but she loves it and it's a very easy holiday for us. That said, we don't drink much and are happy to take it in turns to go and see some of the shows etc.

Nathan134: the fellow cruisers who told you about RC kids sail free is the way to go. I have cruised with them as well and the 3rd passenger in the cabin is usually at a discount. I don't think you were looking for sympathy, you were expressing a concern a lot of parents and solo cruisers have. RC is a great line to sail with if you are conscious of cost for an infant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our experience couldn't be more different from yours. We cruised with our daughter twice (she's 3). Both trips were great. The first time she was too young for kids club. The second time she was able to go. We find cruising very relaxing with her. All food and cleaning etc is taken care of and so we can just focus on family time and having fun. I appreciate not all children are the same but she loves it and it's a very easy holiday for us. That said, we don't drink much and are happy to take it in turns to go and see some of the shows etc.

It definitely depends on the kid. My daughter is a little higher maintenance.

Well since this post is still going despite the fact that it's not actually an issue I will bring up just one or two things that have not yet been mentioned so this post can stay alive as front page news....

Yes, you have to call. Don't even believe the fare quoted online or you will still be paying too much. Most (maybe not RCI) will have a super reduced fee for the infant. On NCL when we sailed about four years ago with my niece and nephew who were 3.5 and 15 months the 3rd passenger was like $399 and the infant $99. Still paid gratuities which is fine....babies make messes!

Two, no one has mentioned that many mothers breastfeed for six to 24 months and it really is in the best interest of companies to make it easy and affordable to bring babies along because if every nursing mother decided not to cruise/travel/shop due to having to stay home with a nursing infant we'd all be paying higher prices!

We love cruising as an extended family and with more ships catering to families with nurseries for children under three (NCL now has nursery kids programs on their bigger ships) I would love for people to have all the facts.

The infant is also not spending anything on board, not generating any revenue.

I'd be curious to see how often cabins that can hold 3 or 4 sail with only 2. While its true that a baby as a 3d will generate less revenue than a non-baby, the fare from a baby would be more than the non-fare of a non-3d occupant.

I'd be curious to see how often cabins that can hold 3 or 4 sail with only 2. While its true that a baby as a 3d will generate less revenue than a non-baby, the fare from a baby would be more than the non-fare of a non-3d occupant.

The problem with that is that the ship cannot sail with all 3rd and 4th spaces filled, if all other rooms are also full, there is not enough lifeboats, so a low paying baby in a 3rd berth cabin, could stop them from selling to a full paying adult who generates on board revenue if the life boat is full

The problem with that is that the ship cannot sail with all 3rd and 4th spaces filled, if all other rooms are also full, there is not enough lifeboats, so a low paying baby in a 3rd berth cabin, could stop them from selling to a full paying adult who generates on board revenue if the life boat is full

Right. That's why I'm curious as to how often it would be an issue. I totally get charging more for 3/4 if its a cruise that typically sells out quickly. If there are empty slots, then less so.

Right. That's why I'm curious as to how often it would be an issue. I totally get charging more for 3/4 if its a cruise that typically sells out quickly. If there are empty slots, then less so.

Royal Caribbean typically sails at 105% double occupancy capacity, so most ships are full anyway. They do sometimes have very low 3rd and 4th passenger rates if the cruise is not selling well though.

The one thing no one has mentioned regarding that cost is the possibility the cruise may be ruined for other passengers by the young ones presence. For example. If I was to be kept up at night by a screaming child I would make a complaint. The complaint would lead to a reduction in the next cruise fare. Let's say 20%. So although a child may not eat as much etc it can still cost the company revenue. Like an insurance policy.

The one thing no one has mentioned regarding that cost is the possibility the cruise may be ruined for other passengers by the young ones presence. For example. If I was to be kept up at night by a screaming child I would make a complaint. The complaint would lead to a reduction in the next cruise fare. Let's say 20%. So although a child may not eat as much etc it can still cost the company revenue. Like an insurance policy.

Are you for real?

Are you for real?

Yes. I'm not saying that would happen. But they have to charge fore the chance it might cost them money. The sleep thing was just an example. The biscuits into the seats was another one.

WOW for real??? You know, you were once a screaming child too.

Are you for real?

I get Leery24's point. I'm currently booked on the Celebrity Equinox this summer. I looked at a few different cruises and considered trying MSC. Once I saw the all kids sail free promo on MSC, it was an easy decision. Too many kids (for me). I felt that the cruise might be overrun by kids and increase my likelihood of being next to a crying or fussy baby or child, either in my stateroom, at dinner, or at some other venue.

And I have no complaints about cruiselines that offer these promos, or reduced fare promos. I just chose what is likely to give me a more enjoyable sailing experience. I'm also not interested in finding an adults only cruise line - I don't mind kids at all, I just don't want to be surrounded by them. Now, if I happen to be next to a fussy child on Celebrity, it won't ruin my cruise. I understand that fussiness and crying and making messes is all normal baby stuff and I will be kind, patient, and pleasant to the family. I'm just hoping to reduce my odds by selecting a cruise line that charges for kids.

WOW for real??? You know, you were once a screaming child too.

As I say. It's not about my opinion on whether children should go or not. Alls I am saying is I understand the cruise companies logic behind charging full price. I don't think it is anyway unfair of them.

As I say. It's not about my opinion on whether children should go or not. Alls I am saying is I understand the cruise companies logic behind charging full price. I don't think it is anyway unfair of them.

So it was a comment based on paying full price?

But the OP realized fairly quickly that they were wrong and they aren't paying full price. So why the thought process?