Full price for a 9 month baby!!!

Several years ago (2007) we sailed with our daughter and her 10 month old, while her Air Force hubby was deployed. We paid for her fare, and had to also pay full fare for our granddaughter. We asked the cruise line (Carnival) if they provided anything for the baby (food, formula, diapers) since we were paying full fare for a baby that still wasn't eating much big people food. The answer was "no"! So, I had one full suitcase of food, diapers, formula, and Pedialite! Yes, Pedialite. I am an OCD planner, always planning for any emergency, and thank god I packed it, as our little one took I'll on the cruise with vomiting. The Pedialite was very welcomed then! The cruise line did put a portable crib in her cabin, though. Another helpful hint: if your little one does not like showers, we purchased a blow up baby bathtub that worked great in the shower for her to have a bath. We would go back after dinner time to bathe her, then take her out in her stroller where she went to sleep, and we all enjoyed the shows, etc. she really was very adaptable to cruising! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would not call a 9 month old a "kid". While I do agree somewhat, I wouldn't say that a 9 month old infant would create more work for the staff.

Imagine inviting guests to your house. Is it more work to have an adult friend over or to have a baby over to visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just paid the fee for our son that will be 11 months old on his first sailing. I actually don't mind paying it because it limits the amount of small children / babies on the ship. Can you imagine how many crying infants would be on the ships if they were free?

So you don't mind crying infants as long as it is your crying infant?

GREAT answer! And one more reason I am happy infants, kids pay the same as an adult. BTW - I cruise solo so have to pay full price for my none existent roommate. I don't mind as it is my choice to cruise or not cruise. Sorry - on this issue I don't have sympathy.

Can you imagine how many whiny solos would be on the ships if they didn't have to pay full price?;):D:D

Imagine inviting guests to your house. Is it more work to have an adult friend over or to have a baby over to visit?

It depends. Does the baby bring its parents along to watch it and change the diapers or do I have to do it?

Wow I'm really surprised at how many people think it's fine to charge this much for a 9 month old... seriously. The cabin is already paid for with the parents' cost. She will hardly eat anything from the ship, will maybe require a change in sheets for the crib (unless mom and dad bring their own) and will use an extra towel. Charging as much as they are for such a young baby is just another way for them to make extra money, plain and simple.

As the OP mentioned, it's not the fact that they're charging for her, it's that they're charging so much.

I'd just wait until there was a good deal offered, to negate the crazy cost expectations for your little one.

Go and enjoy your cruise!

Hello all,

Me and my partner have done 3 cruises all with royal Caribbean. Have looked at doing a 14 night canaries cruise in September for our honeymoon. By that time our little girl will be 9 months old and they want us to pay £1400 for her. I have no issues with paying for her to go on the cruise but when she will not be having food or drink I find that amount excessive!!!! Does anyone out there know a way around it for it to be cheaper or if other cruise lines don't charge so much for children? Thanks in advance.

If I had a small child, I am sure I wouldn't like it either.....but I would probably rather find someone at home to leave the baby with so I could enjoy all the things that the cruise and its' itinerary have to offer.

It depends. Does the baby bring its parents along to watch it and change the diapers or do I have to do it?

Imagine: Your friends bring their cute 9-month old over for a visit. After about 30 minutes, you bring out a few graham crackers for the baby. The baby is delighted, squeals, grabs a fistful of cracker, and little graham cracker crumbs fly all over the table and onto the floor. Everybody stops what they're doing, someone grabs a little mini vacuum, and most of the graham crackers are vacuumed right up.

Then, the baby needs some juice. At some point, the sippy cup falls over and some grape juice drips onto the end table and onto the floor. Oops! The parents offer to clean it up, but their friends don't want to be bad hosts, so they run off for the resolve carpet cleaner, grab paper towels, spray it on the stains and get everything cleaned up.

Everybody talks and laughs, while the baby crawls around the floor, grabs on to a little piece of furniture and tries to pull herself up. Several things get knocked off the shelf, and one of you jump up and puts everything back.

The adults continue socializing, and everyone's having a great visit. Nobody minds the extra work caused by the baby, because they're all friends and it's all part of life. An hour later the baby gets crabby and starts to cry. Of course, all the adults don't continue laughing and joking and talking over the crying baby-everyone springs into action and tries to figure out what's wrong, and what they can do to make the baby feel better and stop crying.

Now who's more work? The parents or the nine-month-old baby?

My point is not that babies shouldn't go places because they're more work. As parents, friends of the parents and family members of the parents, we don't mind. I love seeing my friends' babies. (Mine is now grown, and while I remember the joys of babyhood, I certainly haven't forgotten how much work it is take care of a child.) My point is: it makes perfect sense to me that the baby would be charged a full fare.

Just so everyone is aware I do not have an issue paying money at all for my daughter to go on the cruise. But I believe paying the same price as myself is to much. £6-700 would not bother me at all

The child should not be paying as much as you (and the other person )

booked @ the dbl occ rate , but @ the 3rd person rate which should be considerably lower than your rate ? [emoji848]

Wow I'm really surprised at how many people think it's fine to charge this much for a 9 month old... seriously.

Switch shoes for a moment with the guy running RCI (or any business for that matter) - if the customers were willing to pay, why would you not charge what the market will bear?

As has been said, the cost to RCI has very little to do with what they charge.

Biker, who has found some real obvious answers by simply switching shoes with the person on the other side of a deal.

The child should not be paying as much as you (and the other person )

booked @ the dbl occ rate , but @ the 3rd person rate which should be considerably lower than your rate ? [emoji848]

Not always, at times 3rd and 4th passenger can be even more then 1st & 2nd passenger...

How about, who out there is willing to pay more so someone else's baby can sail for free or at a discounted rate. I sure wouldn't have expected a discounted rate or free when my son when he was a child.

A birth on the ship is a saleable item and someone has to pay for it. It's either the person bringing the baby, but if the baby sails for free it is the rest of the people on the ship.

RC is in the business of making memories, at a profit. Revenue is revenue and cruising is a social lifestyle. You pay to go or you stay at home. I don't think it is any simpler than that.

My son at six months ate tons on board , the mdr used to make him fresh puréed food every day , mash potatoes , smoothies etc , they were excellent . And we utilised all the infant facilities , yes it's quite steep but it's worth it

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Imagine: Your friends bring their cute 9-month old over for a visit. After about 30 minutes, you bring out a few graham crackers for the baby. The baby is delighted, squeals, grabs a fistful of cracker, and little graham cracker crumbs fly all over the table and onto the floor. Everybody stops what they're doing, someone grabs a little mini vacuum, and most of the graham crackers are vacuumed right up.

Then, the baby needs some juice. At some point, the sippy cup falls over and some grape juice drips onto the end table and onto the floor. Oops! The parents offer to clean it up, but their friends don't want to be bad hosts, so they run off for the resolve carpet cleaner, grab paper towels, spray it on the stains and get everything cleaned up.

Everybody talks and laughs, while the baby crawls around the floor, grabs on to a little piece of furniture and tries to pull herself up. Several things get knocked off the shelf, and one of you jump up and puts everything back.

The adults continue socializing, and everyone's having a great visit. Nobody minds the extra work caused by the baby, because they're all friends and it's all part of life. An hour later the baby gets crabby and starts to cry. Of course, all the adults don't continue laughing and joking and talking over the crying baby-everyone springs into action and tries to figure out what's wrong, and what they can do to make the baby feel better and stop crying.

Now who's more work? The parents or the nine-month-old baby?

My point is not that babies shouldn't go places because they're more work. As parents, friends of the parents and family members of the parents, we don't mind. I love seeing my friends' babies. (Mine is now grown, and while I remember the joys of babyhood, I certainly haven't forgotten how much work it is take care of a child.) My point is: it makes perfect sense to me that the baby would be charged a full fare.

Regardless of whether someone agrees or not, the effort put into this reply is 'priceless' and the point is well made.

That could be why my parents never took us cruising. But then again we were teenagers when they started to cruise. It is a lot of money. If I had kids I would have a hard time paying that. But just think what would it cost to leave a newborn at home. Probably worth the price knowing that he/she was safe with you

That could be why my parents never took us cruising. But then again we were teenagers when they started to cruise. It is a lot of money. If I had kids I would have a hard time paying that. But just think what would it cost to leave a newborn at home. Probably worth the price knowing that he/she was safe with you

It isn't as if it is like finding a 'pet sitter', which from the friends I have that have dogs, can be very expensive. Grandparents (if possible) are wonderful, even other close relatives....granted not everyone has those options. I would never expect a part to leave their child with someone they did not feel was trustworthy and capable.

It's not a fair comparison of two parents with an infant vs a single cruiser. Two parents are occupying a cabin for two people, it's full and they are generating max revenue for the cabin. Not the same as one person in a cabin for two. Several cruise line have ships that have solo cabins. (Personally I've always thought the double fare for a solo cruiser was pretty cruel, but I get their rationale). I don't think the baby should be 100% free, but a much cheaper fare as they use no resources except perhaps water and generating some trash. Older children are a different story of course.

From cabin perspective you are right, it is not the same. But the cruise line looks at the total ship capacity and in each case, single cruiser or child, they both take up a spot that could be filled by a revenue generating adult.