Full price for a 9 month baby!!!

Actually lot of times, Summer, Xmas & some Spring Breaks 3rd and 4th passengers can be more then 1st & 2nd. Remember last time I wanted book my 2 kids in cabin was $999ea for first 2 & was $1299ea for 3-4 passengers, We ended up getting 2 cabins. But like you I almost always sail alone paying 200%...

Interesting, we have never paid more for 3rd passenger. We do however book as early as we can. And we only ever sail peak times as DD is still in school..

Oh yay this thread again!!!

$1400 is one hellova laundry and cleaning bill for a 9 month old. And a 9 month old would easily fit on a lap in a lifeboat emergency. No way could I justify paying that ridiculous fare.

The op isn't paying that fare for the baby. See my post on the bottom of page 12 from April (or the earlier posts by others including the OP). It was a math error on the part of the OP.

And how often do you think a nine month old would be the primary guest in a cabin?

It applies to children of all ages. And yes, even I sailed twice with our son as a second person in our cabin when he was a child.

It applies to children of all ages. And yes, even I sailed twice with our son as a second person in our cabin when he was a child.

You are right. The cruise fare is based on the number of persons in the cabin. Is a child not a person? If you are travelling as a single parent your oldest child pays the same rate as you. Any additional children are charged the third or fourth person rate unless there is a promotion that allows third and fourth person to be free. Only way a child would be charged the full rate is if there are not two adults in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sail solo, and pay full price for my invisible cabin mate who doesn't eat, use towels, take a space on a lifeboat, hog a pool chair, or make any kind of mess. If I want to cruise, and it's my choice to not share a cabin, it's a price I'm willing to pay.

I always thought the price for the 3rd or 4th person in a cabin is always much cheaper than the first 2 in a cabin, so how is that paying full price?

contrary to popular belief that is not always the case. sometimes 3 and 4 are as expensive if not more so. do not ask me why, probably has something to do with lifeboat capacity I have seen 3/4 prices to be only $50 less than 1/2. thats why it is quite often a wash or cheaper to get 2 cabins.

in MNSHO they do that on purpose to keep the number of people cramming into a cabin minimal. they probably WANT every cabin to only have 2 people in it.

Does not make any sense at all that 3rd or 4th person would ever be charged more than the first 2. Why would anyone ever pay more to cram extra passengers into one room when 2 rooms would be cheaper.

It has to do with overall capacity, just like charging for children.

Say capacity with double occupancy is 3000. Max is 3500. If they have 3400 people booked, but a lot of 3 -4 person cabins, they may be approaching max capacity, but with empty cabins. So additional 3rd or 4th persons would make it even worse.

Same with airlines. One time booked a flight from BWI - ATL over a weekend. Did not realize that it was Easter weekend. Coach was already oversold, so First class was actually cheaper than Coach. Oh DARN, I HAD to fly First Class. :)

I had to pay full price for my 9 month old grandson. It was over spring break which I know is prime time. It happened to be the only time we could go as a family. I hated paying so much for him but did understand that the number of people on the ship is limited and he did take a spot so.....that's the way it is. I would look for a kids sail free rate on off season if you can do that.

Kids/Toddlers, I could see that, but 9 months old... I doubt that.

dp

Have you ever emptied a trash can full of dirty diapers or had to clean up under a high chair where a 9-month old has just eaten ? I don't know that babies make more work, but certainly (IMO) just as much. :)

Argument is - food and room.

Answer is the extra person, pays for fuel, maintenance, the below deck staff in the laundry, the painters, the cleaners, the window washer, the Captain and his staff....and so on.

People look at the basic item as they feel it pertains to them. But on a ship, all ship facilities are being utilized by the little one, except the food. They are getting a 3/4 person rate, so it is discounted.

I have two kids (now adults) and what each new parent must be ready for is that they are going to pay for the next 18-20 years of excessive costs concerning their little one. Personally, we went on family vacations that was age appropriate for our kids. The first cruise they were on was not until they were 6, and were able to enjoy things.

I'll be in the minority here, but I'm not offended by anyone who chooses not to cruise with infants. In fact, I congratulate you on your good sense. I'm not interested in being woke up by the baby next door screaming his head off in the middle of the night, or smelling stinky diapers in trashcans around the ship. I don't want to hear overtired cranky babies because their parents chose to eat dinner at 8 pm. While there are many infant friendly vacations out there, I don't necessarily think cruising is one of them. Perhaps the cruiseline charges what they do because they feel the same. I don't blame babies for acting the way they do - it's natural for them. But instead of spending that much money on something they'll never remember, perhaps consider something more suitable.

I'll be in the minority here, but I'm not offended by anyone who chooses not to cruise with infants. In fact, I congratulate you on your good sense. I'm not interested in being woke up by the baby next door screaming his head off in the middle of the night, or smelling stinky diapers in trashcans around the ship. I don't want to hear overtired cranky babies because their parents chose to eat dinner at 8 pm. While there are many infant friendly vacations out there, I don't necessarily think cruising is one of them. Perhaps the cruiseline charges what they do because they feel the same. I don't blame babies for acting the way they do - it's natural for them. But instead of spending that much money on something they'll never remember, perhaps consider something more suitable.

+1 (y)(y)(y)

I don't recommend cruising with infants or small children not because it will lessen my vacation experience but because it will lessen the parent's vacation experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a mother of six this makes zero sense to me. Actually the last few comments do not make sense.....

[quote=Vacationdreamer

As the mother of six children, your reply does not make sense to me. Either you had a full-time nanny or you enjoyed feeding,changing, bathing, supervising your children and did not desire a vacation from it. I wasn't implying that a cruise vacation is not enjoyable with small children, only that (in my humble opinion) it's more enjoyable if you don't have them with you.

Hello all,

Me and my partner have done 3 cruises all with royal Caribbean. Have looked at doing a 14 night canaries cruise in September for our honeymoon. By that time our little girl will be 9 months old and they want us to pay £1400 for her. I have no issues with paying for her to go on the cruise but when she will not be having food or drink I find that amount excessive!!!! Does anyone out there know a way around it for it to be cheaper or if other cruise lines don't charge so much for children? Thanks in advance.

RCL is trying to do you a favor, you will enjoy your cruise more if you leave your child at home, I know I will enjoy my cruise more.:D:rolleyes:

As the mother of six children, your reply does not make sense to me. Either you had a full-time nanny or you enjoyed feeding,changing, bathing, supervising your children and did not desire a vacation from it. I wasn't implying that a cruise vacation is not enjoyable with small children, only that (in my humble opinion) it's more enjoyable if you don't have them with you.

It seems that due to the syntax of Vacationdreamers name, it is impossible to quote her. Anyone else notice that.

Oh, and count me in on not supporting bringing an infant on a cruise holiday.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Poor guy is still getting beat up over a 5 month old post in which he admitted he was wrong and has no problem with the price of the cruise. Gotta' love Cruise Critic.

Yes, yet another thread resurrected from the dead where the resurrector does not bother to read the previous posts on the thread.....so is clueless.

Cruise Critic needs to kill dated threads. They manage to do it that their mother ship, TripAdvisor.