Full price for a 9 month baby!!!

Why anyone would want to take a 9 month old on a cruise is beyond me... but hey it's your vacation. You are paying for it.

Ditto! Sounds like a ton of work for mom while dad gets off Scott Free...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have we checked what the price is for 3 adults in the room? I don't think RCL really discount for kids just extra people in cabin.

Correct, the fares shown in my post #66 would be the same for 3 adults or 2 adults and 1 kid. The 3rd passenger was a discounted fare. The OP's math is off.

The only time RCI makes a different discount for kids versus adults as the 3rd or 4th passenger is when they run a Kids Sail Free promo.

CB

To all,

I have to admit I have made a mistake!! I admit when I am in the wrong and have got my prices incorrect. Apologies to all!! Different opinions have been benificial though. Thanks to all that have replied.

Nathan

This is based on 2 adults and 1 child. £1449 each! Making £3497 for us to go. This is before any drinks package and tips etc. This is for the independence of the seas on the 16th September from Southampton in an interior stateroom

I've just done a dummy booking with an online TA (that's like the home of an Eskimo! [emoji6]) and they only ask for number of adults.

The price comes out at £3,434 for a K interior with prepaid tips included. Could it be that you're not being charged full price, but that the website just calculates the "average" price per person including the baby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do have this promotion- don't know if your cruise is shown.........https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-deals/offers/kids-sail-free-2016?icid=dcksf2_conten_ksf_dealsp_tactic_340

That was over Jan 4 2017 and I never saw it in the US

What does a lifeboat have to do with it... a 9 month old infant would be sitting on a parents lap... not in its own seat. Heck, I doubt if infants would even have their own life vest. Never thought about it, but all the lifejackets I've ever seen on a chip have been a universal size.

Well then you might want to look closer next time you cruise. Not only there are life vests in different sizes on board, but every Soul onboard Counts towards the max. capacity of a ship which has to do with life boat/raft capacity available.

I'm sorry but this does not make any sense at all for me. If you go to a movie theatre, there are a limited number of seats, and kids pay less. If you go to a theme park, roller coasters have a limited number of seats, and kids pay less, in restaurants, they have a limited number of seats, and kids pay less, if you go to you municipal aquatic center... guess what... kids pay less.

dp

You are right all These businesses give Discounts to Kids, though in some cases it´s not really the same. I.e. a restaurant does most of the times not a Discount to the Kids, but they offer Kids meals. So it´s another item offered, but I´m not into Splitting hairs on this.

To me all those businesses you listed giving Discounts for Kids doesn´t make sense. I just don´t see why Kids or their parents should get a Price break for Kids. IMO Kids should pay at least the same as everybody else.

However as we are living in a free world it´s up the individual Business to do what they think is best for them Business wise. So they might Chose to give Discounts for Kids, Seniors, or sometimes even People from certain states. It doesn´t matter too much if I like it or not they´ll do it anyway.

While I think it´s not a good Business practice to Discount Kids it doesn´t bother me as much as the parents who feel entitled to having to pay less for their Kids. They got to make the same decision as everybody else - pay the Price if you feel it´s worth it or don´t pay, but stop moaning about it. It was your decision to have Kids and you have to pay the Price for it.

Ditto! Sounds like a ton of work for mom while dad gets off Scott Free...

More work than what? Renting a beach house where she gets to clean, launder linens, shop for and cook three meals a day and snacks? All that is done for her on a cruise. Unless she is nursing, there is usually someone else doing half the baby chores on a cruise - not all fathers believe that fatherhood responsibility ends with conception.

Hello all,

Me and my partner have done 3 cruises all with royal Caribbean. Have looked at doing a 14 night canaries cruise in September for our honeymoon. By that time our little girl will be 9 months old and they want us to pay £1400 for her. I have no issues with paying for her to go on the cruise but when she will not be having food or drink I find that amount excessive!!!! Does anyone out there know a way around it for it to be cheaper or if other cruise lines don't charge so much for children? Thanks in advance.

Try MSC, we have done NCL, Royal, Carnival, Princess and MSC.

Kids are free, their ships are immaculate, the cleanest ships we've been on. Also free internet, drinks and OBC. Check it out. Divina has 14 day sailings. We are booked for the new Seaside next with the free perks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

she doesn't eat any table food yet? Do you plan on using the childcare? Plan on disposing of her diapers on your own? They are a biohazard and cost more to dispose of than typical trash.

I'd be willing to bet that on a cruise ship there are more adult diapers disposed of than baby diapers. So that argument doesn't hold [emoji90] [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ships charge "per soul"...even a 9 month old goes toward the lifeboat limits. There are only so many "souls" allowed on the ship at a given time, and they figure the cost to charge based on what they need to make a profit.

Sometimes, they will offer reduced fares for the 3rd or 4th person, but not always. Some do offer "kids" sail free, but the adult prices are usually hiked to compensate.

I have found that they hike the first two passenger prices whenever they offer kids sale free or discount the 3rd and 4th passenger. It was usually cheaper or close to the same price for us to book 2 rooms during those promotions. They count on the fact that most people won't check that scenario. They see kids sale free 00 charge and leave it at that.

Nathan (OP) has admitted that he made a mistake and is now happy with the pricing.

Y'all can stop bickering now.

;)

Let's not let facts get in the way of a good outrage. :)

To those who still believe the price for a baby cruiser should be less than full price because it costs RCI less to board one, I would just point out that RCI does not set prices based on costs, or even marginal costs. Like all other businesses (that are not commodities), they price based on what people will pay.

In other words, the price for a baby passenger has nothing to do with the cost.

You said she will not eat or drink. Strange. You are carrying on all of her food and what ever she drinks. Her diapers. Who will dispose of her diapers? Clean up after you bathe the baby. What silverware are you going to feed her with. I could go on.

If you don't want to pay for their services leave her at home.

Could it be that you're not being charged full price, but that the website just calculates the "average" price per person including the baby?

Yes, most calculations are like that and first timers are confused by it.

The average price calculations can be confusing, but what really matters is the bottom line. With kids in play I simply look at what the deals are for when I can go and weigh out the total costs. It's not whether or not I feel I should have to pay for my child to go; it's whether the bottom line pencils out for me.

My next Royal cruise was booked under a KSF promo. It's an itinerary with some new stops for me, but not a unique one off kind of itinerary, so I cross shopped other lines and Royal came out the best on the bottom line.

The last one was NCL; with their 3rd/4th guest free and a package of perks for selecting a balcony; I simply looked at the bottom line price and considered was it worth it.

MSC gets my business in a month because the overall price of the trip with lower fares and kids sail free came out to exactly 1/3 of the price of the same week on Allure; kind of a no brainer. Having been on both Allure might be "better" (debatable), but it is not three times better for a bargain hunter.

I even get mailers for HAL when they offer 3rd and 4th free. They have roundtrip partial panama canal trips and saving a persons fare there is a big deal, because even the taxes and port fees are very high.

Just consider the total cost. Keeps things simple.