Full price for a 9 month baby!!!

It's ridiculous that they should charge the same fare. What exactly are they providing for a babe in arms to justify that amount? :o

A place on the ship that could otherwise be occupied by an adult or older kid paying full fare.

In what way? She is still a babe in arms, not eating their food, taking up only space in a 'pack and play' crib, not using any amenities. What exactly are they providing for her that takes a lot more work?

Waste disposal. She still uses towels and sheets. And most importantly, she takes up a lifeboat slot.

I once watched a family let their barely upright child grind cracker crumbs into the floor, couch and smeared over the glass table top and then just blithely left a disaster behind for the staff to clean up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah that's insulting. No way I'd even consider paying that. It's also the reason why when the time comes that we have kids of our own we won't be taking a cruise vacation till they are at least teenagers.

I'm not throwing away that kind of money for them to eat a hotdog and be full.

Waste disposal. She still uses towels and sheets. And most importantly, she takes up a lifeboat slot.

I once watched a family let their barely upright child grind cracker crumbs into the floor, couch and smeared over the glass table top and then just blithely left a disaster behind for the staff to clean up.

I understand this and I'm afraid that is down to people's own morals. I got my child made a mess like that I would clean it up myself. I get that she would take up a spot on a life boat but paying the same as an adult I I think is ridiculous

It wasn't the price that bothered us, it was the fact that we didn't have the comforts of home and were in a much smaller confines in the cabin. That is why we limited our "vacation" travel with our DS until he was almost 5. He did airplane travel to on 3 occasions before he was 4, but the destination was a home.

It is the decision that only you yourself can make.

This is a great article to read about travelling with children. It really puts it in a good perspective.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/angie-campanelli/travelling-with-chidren_b_14682540.html

Edit: a direct quote from the article.... "If you're planning a trip with children (primarily under the age of five), the key to maximizing your enjoyment is lowering your expectations. Picture the bottom of the proverbial barrel, then scrape it a little bit, and now we're on track".

Ha many thanks

I understand this and I'm afraid that is down to people's own morals. I got my child made a mess like that I would clean it up myself. I get that she would take up a spot on a life boat but paying the same as an adult I I think is ridiculous

I have no concerns about your child making a mess. But I have to pay full price for someone that does not even exist! They take no spot on the lifeboat as they are not even a "soul". Yet I have to pay full price for that non existent person. Like I said before - it is your choice to pay and cruise or not cruise. I just get sick and tired of people with kids thinking they should somehow get a better deal.

I have no concerns about your child making a mess. But I have to pay full price for someone that does not even exist! They take no spot on the lifeboat as they are not even a "soul". Yet I have to pay full price for that non existent person. Like I said before - it is your choice to pay and cruise or not cruise. I just get sick and tired of people with kids thinking they should somehow get a better deal.

I would be annoyed to pay that for a solo traveller as well. I was generally just asking for peoples opinions on this matter as we all try to get the right price that suits us

You will never win this argument. Way too many RCI apologists on the boards. The baby does not take up any additional space as they could book the same cabin as they would without the child. I got roasted because I questioned why RC doesn't provide jarred baby food or cereal without an extra charge where as Celebrity does. I was lucky enough to book the "Kids sail free" this next cruise in May on the Allure. For those of you who think a 9 month old creates more work for the crew its laughable. Creating a pure in the main dinning room takes very little time. The same could be said for those with dietary restrictions. Things like your child is 10 months old they should be eating solids by now were even thrown at me. Unfortunately its the reality of cruising though. At 9 months old I would suggest looking at Celebrity unless your ship has the royal babies program. The food is better and they at least give you a little more for the $ you are paying.

If you think its ridiculous, simply don't pay it. The reasons are plentiful as to why the fares are not age dependent.

In what way? She is still a babe in arms, not eating their food, taking up only space in a 'pack and play' crib, not using any amenities. What exactly are they providing for her that takes a lot more work?

The infant is also not spending anything on board, not generating any revenue.

Hi, Nathan

This past week I've been pricing sailngs with 3 in a cabin (one child under 12). I should add, this was pricing Balcony staterooms and below, not Suite pricing.

When lookong at the total by guest, the Child (passenger 3) quoted out at a 50% rate of the person 1 and 2 rate, before promotion applied, and not the full rate.

is the 1400 Euro price for the child the same as your passenger 1 & 2 rate? If so maybe call Royal to price it to see if there is an error in the passenger 3 calculation.

Good Luck!

They should have a more reasonable rate for babies under a certain age. They seem to make it easier to bring your dog on a cruise than your baby. I don't have any kids, so no bias here. I just can't see how Royal could justify a full fare for a baby that uses nothing on the ship. All they do is discourage parents with young babies from sailing and souring their opinion of the company, how is that useful to anyone.

Hi, Nathan

This past week I've been pricing sailngs with 3 in a cabin (one child under 12). I should add, this was pricing Balcony staterooms and below, not Suite pricing.

When lookong at the total by guest, the Child (passenger 3) quoted out at a 50% rate of the person 1 and 2 rate, before promotion applied, and not the full rate.

is the 1400 Euro price for the child the same as your passenger 1 & 2 rate? If so maybe call Royal to price it to see if there is an error in the passenger 3 calculation.

Good Luck!

Many thanks for your reply it was based on the pound

They should have a more reasonable rate for babies under a certain age. They seem to make it easier to bring your dog on a cruise than your baby. I don't have any kids, so no bias here. I just can't see how Royal could justify a full fare for a baby that uses nothing on the ship. All they do is discourage parents with young babies from sailing and souring their opinion of the company, how is that useful to anyone.

It's not and we have enjoyed 3 cruises!!

This. A thousand times this.

If you think it is not economically feasible then choose a vacation where your offspring are free.

I think several of you have stated it well. Whether it is the phantom body accompanying the single cruiser or a babe in arms, they are headcount towards the passenger allows (which there is a maximum) that could be filled by a paying customer. A paying customer that will on average spend additional money once on board.

Is it fair, no. But it is how Royal and many other cruise lines due business.

It's not a fair comparison of two parents with an infant vs a single cruiser. Two parents are occupying a cabin for two people, it's full and they are generating max revenue for the cabin. Not the same as one person in a cabin for two. Several cruise line have ships that have solo cabins. (Personally I've always thought the double fare for a solo cruiser was pretty cruel, but I get their rationale). I don't think the baby should be 100% free, but a much cheaper fare as they use no resources except perhaps water and generating some trash. Older children are a different story of course.

I think several of you have stated it well. Whether it is the phantom body accompanying the single cruiser or a babe in arms, they are headcount towards the passenger allows (which there is a maximum) that could be filled by a paying customer. A paying customer that will on average spend additional money once on board.

Is it fair, no. But it is how Royal and many other cruise lines due business.

It is the headcount that is key. They have to count the baby. If passenger capacity is for example 2800 then that baby counts as person. They can not sell 2801.

I would not call a 9 month old a "kid". While I do agree somewhat, I wouldn't say that a 9 month old infant would create more work for the staff.

I know some would. Think about it, messy rooms, food dropped on floor, not potty trained, special food orders, just couple examples off top of my head. Not all kids but some... When my kids cruised yrs ago if we'd gone in Summer price was $799 1-2 pass each, 3-4 pass was as much as $1400 each. Obviously we always sailed in off season back then...