Mariner Of The Seas Refurbishment

So, what is the issue with the signs in Mandarin? I'm assuming most know how to operate the elevator without needing a sign. :o

Where did I say it has to do with operating the elevator? It was to do with trying to find a venue because the Venue isn't the same on this ship as "other" ships in the same class. :mad:

Fascinating ! Same ship , same time frame with two very different opinions .

It confirms my belief that the biggest variable in a cruise is the passenger . :D

Let's see there were 8 of us in our group and all came to the same conclusion.

It became the talk in the Diamond Lounge one night after we left Japan as to the health standards and what was being noticed and complained about and what happens if you complain.

We didn't notice any of those issues but then our cruise was probably 97% Westerners. I'm guessing you were on an immersion cruise where basically anything goes. I expect the same demographic on what's left of the Global Odyssey, so I don't expect to see these issues.

I guess my cup is way more than half full. I'm cruising and whatever comes up, I make the most of it and have a great time :) but didn't have the problems you encountered.

We didn't notice any of those issues but then our cruise was probably 97% Westerners. I'm guessing you were on an immersion cruise where basically anything goes. I expect the same demographic on what's left of the Global Odyssey, so I don't expect to see these issues.

I guess my cup is way more than half full. I'm cruising and whatever comes up, I make the most of it and have a great time :) but didn't have the problems you encountered.

Isn't Australia farther east than China?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I guess some people are pickier than others. Most of those things will very likely change during the cruise. We were on a repositioning from Shanghai to Singapore and the food was by a large majority, Westernised. The smoking area not as big and I agree the shop was smaller but those items that you are used to are generally not purchased by the Asians. I have to say we didn't go forward so can't comment on that but had no issues around midships.

So, what is the issue with the signs in Mandarin? I'm assuming most know how to operate the elevator without needing a sign. :o

We were on that cruise last week turning Pinnacle.:)

We found Mariner to be MUCH nicer than Voyager & Explorer.

Cheers

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Edited by Aussie FF

So, being irate as everyone else that was booked for all three, I modified the pin I created for the TA. If there is any interest, I can get these made into pins prior to going on the first leg. I will cut the TA part of the Global Odyssey out of the rectangular pin so it will end in Barcelona on 7 May vice 20 May. I like the cliche of De-Asianization so I plagiarized it.

http://www.cimorelli.com/cruise-pins/mariner-ta-asia-cruise.jpg

The only non western thing I can see is the alternate sign board beside the elevator which is in Chinese.

To play the devil's advocate Mariner is sailing full for all cruises up to the end of the year. Prices next year has been increased by 25%. Could RC decide to keep Mariner beyond that and dry dock in SG.

• 3 months later...
Isn't Australia farther east than China?

Since you live in Florida, you would be traveling Westward to go there so Australia is further west than China (unless you wanted to add another 10,000 Miles to your trip fc333e9eb0c09baf49e30a23b2571562.jpgand go the wrong way to get there - kinda the opposite of what Columbus has in mind.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sun rises in the east. Since the day starts in Guam, Australia is east of us. [emoji6]

Ok, chase the Sun an extra 10,000 Miles around the world to avoid crossing the dateline. If you (or anyone in the States was heading to Australia or China from home, you’d head West, not east, and Australia would be further westward then China. We call China the Far East, even though its to the west of us, because Europeans went eastward to get there - so if there was to be an arbitrary start and end to east and west, Greenwich, not Guam would be a more logical place for it. From Florida, most would also travel south as well as west, but by your logic it would be North of Florida because the equator is the arbitrary center on the surface of a round planet.

But that’s now how travel works. There’s a compass that says which way is north. If you are facing North then turn to your left, you are facing west. Work the same way all over the world. If you are traveling from Jacksonville to Panama City, you are heading west, same as if you Travel from Japan to China, regardless of the date line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nealstuber

So, this has been fascinating since I actually was on an "aisanized" ship, and the only main difference was Johnny Rockets gone, replaced by a noodle bar, more game tables, less slots, and of course signs in other languages. So the only thing in a dry dock, is to bring the slots out of storage, and move the tables into storage.

Now what I really want to know is this.....why can't I book Giovanni's? Is that being replaced? If so, what is replacing it? Jaimie's Italian (which I loved) or something else? Are they bringing a new concept out?

Maybe because you are too far out from the cruise?

All the restaurants are listed except Giovanni's including all the packages, for multiple nights, chef's table etc...everything but Goivanni's! The rumor was the ship might be getting a new eatery, so I was wondering what others have heard.

When the Voyager class ships started coming into service I thought the in-line skating track was the most gimmicky of all the new venues that came along with this class of ship. The track is short, narrow, winding, and half the time you are skating into the wind. I found it pretty useless.

It was certainly a workout for a 6' 250lb (back then) skating into the wind.