Help! I'm on a diet

fastnloose

Hi, I am on a S.W. diet and dont want to put too much weight on whilst cruising, but also dont want to be presented with a lettuce leaf at every meal! Is it worth discussing specifics of the diet before we cruise with customer services? Thanks everyone

I'm sure if you ask nicely they would grill your steak or salmon etc but it's a holiday so don't deprive yourself I'm on SW too but intend to just fix any gain after. There does look like lots of options for healthy choices plus you can take the stairs and get plenty of body magic.

There was a post a few months ago re not gaining weight on a cruise where people shared their tips....

Some of the most useful ones were...

To walk up and down the stairs rather than use the lifts.

To take walks or swim on excursions.

To have sauces served 'on the side'

To remember you don't have to empty your plate!

As a 'savoury' rather than 'sweet' person I often enjoy a good starter and mains and not bother with desert, I also tend to just have soup and salad at lunch.

As another post said you are on vacation and do need to have some 'treats'. Just think about the things you really want rather than eating everything because it is there....

If you chat with your waiter and M'D they will point out healthier options to you.

You can actually be on a diet on a cruise ship. As suggested, stick to grilled and broiled food. Plently on salad and steamed veggies. Avoid the Carbs- Drinking also can be an issue- stick to non-sugary drinks, like vodka with a splash of cranberry juice- limited glasses of white wine- Also you will be walking a lot and can always use the gym. When I am "good" I can manage to keep my weight stable- I do "indulge" in a martini sometimes- but try to always avoid dessert-unless they have sugar free jello.

I tend to use Main Dining Room/Blu (portion control) in lieu of buffet -- but do have dessert (try and just eat half). Also, like the above post, swimming/walking excursions ... and of course the gym (I have a home routine and still try to keep up with it). Don't beat yourself up ... you are on vacation. Moderation is the key to keeping large weight gain to a minimal. Last cruise I actually lost a few pounds with all the activity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was a post a few months ago re not gaining weight on a cruise where people shared their tips....

Some of the most useful ones were...

To walk up and down the stairs rather than use the lifts.

I've read this before and to be honest someone is kidding themselves if they think it makes any real difference. Might make you "feel" you are doing the right thing, but doing a regular two or three mile walk around the track is much better for you out in the fresh air. You can take the lift up to deck 14 to do it. LOL

You can actually be on a diet on a cruise ship. As suggested, stick to grilled and broiled food. Plently on salad and steamed veggies. Avoid the Carbs- Drinking also can be an issue- stick to non-sugary drinks, like vodka with a splash of cranberry juice- limited glasses of white wine- Also you will be walking a lot and can always use the gym. When I am "good" I can manage to keep my weight stable- I do "indulge" in a martini sometimes- but try to always avoid dessert-unless they have sugar free jello.

It's the carbs and sugar that do it for me. I'm really into roasted sweet potatoes, butternut squash, beetroot. I don't miss ordinary potatoes at all. Have a word with the dining room Maitre d' and ask if they have them. I'm sure they do.

For me avoiding the buffet is key. When I eat in the dining room I use better thought to menu choices, portions are controlled, and the extra time between courses lets my brain accept when I'm full. I'm not good at resisting temptations so its important for me to simply avoid them.:halo:

I note that I don't gain that much weight on a cruise if I'm somewhat careful not to eat everything in sight and get some exercise. The problem is when I get home because I'm in the mode of eating three (or four or five) big meals per day and just keep going!

I enjoy a fresh salad for lunch. The.buffet has great fixins; and flavorful oil and vinegar..as an alternative to fatty dressing.

Takes some work putting it together but worth it...Also great salad dinner entrees if you are assigned in BLU.

I always ask for double veggies, and baked potato..eat half and skip the breads!

We have a cruise upcoming (2 weeks tomorrow) and I have been on my first ever diet (LL) and I've done really well (lost 3st:D )so don't want to mess it up by overeating.

My plan is to avoid the bread basket (which will be tough as I love the cheese topped bread rolls Royal do!).

Have fish, chicken, meat and veg and less/no pasta and potatoes with my evening meal, Sauce on the side.

We also are savoury people and therefore don't have the desserts too often in the buffet or MDR.

I'm also going to try to have either breakfast or lunch and then dinner rather than 3 meals plus snacks and again have salads and proteins, luckily I'm not a chip fan either.

I'm going with a good mind set, a plan to manage and my new smaller sized clothes and body to keep me on track.

I know I'll pop on a few pounds as expected and I am a fan of the snacks in the evening in the DL ;p

Edited by Gingerbint
spelling

You don't need to contact them in advance. Simply order things with "sauce on the side" (or none at all), pick more veggies, and less starch...skip desserts, etc.

You know what you can and can't eat on your particular diet...just continue that on the ship!

We have a cruise upcoming (2 weeks tomorrow) and I have been on my first ever diet (LL) and I've done really well (lost 3st:D )so don't want to mess it up by overeating.

My plan is to avoid the bread basket (which will be tough as I love the cheese topped bread rolls Royal do!).

Have fish, chicken, meat and veg and less/no pasta and potatoes with my evening meal, Sauce on the side.

We also are savoury people and therefore don't have the desserts too often in the buffet or MDR.

I'm also going to try to have either breakfast or lunch and then dinner rather than 3 meals plus snacks and again have salads and proteins, luckily I'm not a chip fan either.

I'm going with a good mind set, a plan to manage and my new smaller sized clothes and body to keep me on track.

I know I'll pop on a few pounds as expected and I am a fan of the snacks in the evening in the DL ;p

I go away on Thursday for seven weeks on the ship and that is just my plan too and plenty of exercise. Hopefully I can keep the pounds at bay.

Oh and congratulations on the weight loss. Awesome!

I managed to put on only 1lb on my last cruise:halo:

I can't take the stairs but I avoided dessert and had a light breakfast and lunch.

I avoided sauces and stuck to fish, chicken or grilled meat.

I stuck to champagne or gin (and the odd water !)

Worked for me.

For me, I find it easiest to avoid sugar if I only have something special that I might regret not trying. For example, I never eat ice cream on a ship. I can get that at home. But if a see a gorgeous chocolate tart at Cafe Bacio, I may let myself have it because I don't see those at home. And then I eat it slowly and enjoy every bite without distraction. Make sure you're not so busy avoiding weight gain that you don't enjoy your vacation as much as you could. I find any weight gained on a cruise comes off fast when I get home and back into my regular routine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You just need to be educated about foods and make healthy choices. Lots at the buffet that is good. Celebrity deals with many diets which are life or death .. but seriously because you don't want to gain seams trivial to what their 'special needs' department is set up for . I would be embarrassed at such a request.. I don't want to gain either.. so I do what I need to ..avoid bread, sauces, desserts and ths biggest killer.. drinks laiden with calories.

Hi, I am on a S.W. diet and dont want to put too much weight on whilst cruising, but also dont want to be presented with a lettuce leaf at every meal! Is it worth discussing specifics of the diet before we cruise with customer services? Thanks everyone

Some posts have already beat me to the punch on tips like avoiding the elevator (use the stairs). Also, discover the fitness center and try to use it at least every other day.

I try to limit my alcohol consumption to the evenings by not drinking until happy hour, or perhaps a little earlier if coming back from a tour during the day at beer is good. Avoid drinks with extra sugar.

I usually eat a regular meal in the evening and choose the dessert that would have the smaller calorie number. I don't eat dessert or ice cream during the day. For breakfast and lunch, I try not to eat heavy, especially lunch, a salad bar can be a great choice.

My first cruise, I gained 5 lbs in 5 days (Good heavens!). Last one? No gain, but certainly no loss. I really think the difference was the active excursions (SUP and snorkeling) and no drink package. You can drink a lot of calories on a cruise.

No need to contact anyone, just use good judgment when ordering your meals. Order our meals just as you would if you were eating at home.

I would suspect a large percentage of the cruisers start out with good intentions of not putting on weight. Customer service won't be able to do anything for you as weight loss or weight control is all about discipline in keeping to one's diet plan.

I don't do XXX (fill in the blanks for the named) diets but instead focus on calorie count, portion control and exercise (an hour of aerobic exercise in gym or a round of golf) everyday while on land. I prioritize food choices in terms of what I enjoy the most. I don't do alcohol and sugared drinks because they are very high in calories and are "empty" food. Same thing with smoothies and fruit juices in terms of calories. Occasionally I may have one but then I skip something else during the day. Someone mentioned sauces, ask for sauces on the side. Regarding salad dressing - ask for dressing on the side instead of having it be mixed in so that you can reduce the amount of dressing being mixed in.

Enjoy your cruise, and as long as you keep tab of calories and portion control, you should do fine.

We only eat breakfast on our balcony avoiding the temptation of the bacon, sausage, waffles etc. I can get my "at home" light breakfast delivered and have the views at the same time.

Lunch, if onboard, is visiting only the salad bar and avoiding the hot stations. Altho there are healthy hot choices, since I eat a cold lunch at home, no need to have two entree meals everyday. Or be tempted by fries, tempura etc.

Dinner is choosing three courses only. The portions are small enough. The biggest problem is the bread basket. Takes a ton of will power. If I weaken, DH agrees to take what he wants and send it back.

Sugary drinks are out. But I won't give up my 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner.;)

Don't worry. There are so many good choices onboard. And you'll feel proud with every one you make. I make sure I have a good time and don't feel deprived. Easy.

For breakfast I have an egg white scramble with lots of veggies and I/2 English muffin, along with some fresh fruit. I eat the same at home. You need to have a good healthy breakfast with protein.

For lunch, a nice salad with veggies, a little protein and dressing on the side. I always drink lots of water and ice tea that I make myself and add lemon. I sometimes have a light or small piece of dessert. Dinner is easy, as I usually only eat half and have steamed veggies each night. If I have dessert, I only eat half, but try to eat salmon, chicken, a little lamb or red meat. I always ask for small portions too. I get a cabin where I have to do a lot of walking and use the gym. My downfalls are the scones with whipped cream....and once in a while I am really bad!!! I am a very light drinker too, but every now and then I enjoy a cosmo!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums