Peninsula club changes....when?

barriead

Selbourne, I don't think I am expressing myself very well. I was told that the new system was to do with improving the efficiency of the physical loading and preparation of the ship, which makes sense to explain why it seems to be in a certain order by location on the ship. This included having people able to go straight to their prepared cabins and their luggage following soon after instead of milling around the public areas with their hand luggage whilst waiting. At the moment there are only a relatively small number of people in the loyalty tiers and suites etc and in other certain locations on the ship who get early booking times - but you only have to read on here that everyone seems to want to be on board early. But hey, please don't shoot the messenger. I am only relaying what I was once told...................... but I must say that as a non-suite cruiser and a low loyalty tier, I remember absolute mayhem up in the buffet on wet days falling over everyone's not inconsiderable hand- luggage, fighting for a seat, bunfights for the buffet, hearing and seeing people going to their cabins regardless of them being ready and blocking those corridors, pressurising the staff etc etc. But people in the suites and high loyalty tiers wouldn't have seen this side of the old system. In those days, I actually preferred to go later as I hated the chaos.

Edited by Scriv

They have to be careful not to upset the people on the top grades, especially if they change the points boundaries. On the old system 1500 put you into Gold grade but when the system changed Caribbean was set at 2000 and all the people between 1500 and 2000 points were given Caribbean status although not 2000 points, there must still be some Caribbean grade people that have not reached 2000 points even now.

Also they have to be careful with the people who just missed out last time being on just less than 1500 points who are now quite possibly just be under 2000 now and will miss the boat again if the current Caribbean grade points boundaries are moved.

My top 3 choices of perks would be

1. Getting discount on all purchases not just after OBC is used up

2. Some Free wi-fi minutes

3. Free Laundry

Nothing currently beyond the 10% off spend is a really worthwhile benefit to us. Lots is said about the priority embarkation but that should not really need to be a 'perk' if P&O upped their game and matched the way that the other cruiselines embark (IMHO).

Scriv, couldn't agree more. I prefer to board around 1330 if poss, if it's later that's fine too, as we bring lunch with us. If earlier, then really good to dump hand luggage in cabin, which you couldn't do before and get some lunch in the buffet. Either suits us just fine.

What difference does it make to be on board an extra 2 hours or so. There is very little to do on the first day. Just unpacking and drill.

Scriv, couldn't agree more. I prefer to board around 1330 if poss, if it's later that's fine too, as we bring lunch with us. If earlier, then really good to dump hand luggage in cabin, which you couldn't do before and get some lunch in the buffet. Either suits us just fine.

What difference does it make to be on board an extra 2 hours or so. There is very little to do on the first day. Just unpacking and drill.

My thoughts too, especially as I'm not a fan of the buffet.

Selbourne, I don't think I am expressing myself very well. I was told that the new system was to do with improving the efficiency of the physical loading and preparation of the ship, which makes sense to explain why it seems to be in a certain order by location on the ship. This included having people able to go straight to their prepared cabins and their luggage following soon after instead of milling around the public areas with their hand luggage whilst waiting. At the moment there are only a relatively small number of people in the loyalty tiers and suites etc and in other certain locations on the ship who get early booking times - but you only have to read on here that everyone seems to want to be on board early. But hey, please don't shoot the messenger. I am only relaying what I was once told...................... but I must say that as a non-suite cruiser and a low loyalty tier, I remember absolute mayhem up in the buffet on wet days falling over everyone's not inconsiderable hand- luggage, fighting for a seat, bunfights for the buffet, hearing and seeing people going to their cabins regardless of them being ready and blocking those corridors, pressurising the staff etc etc. But people in the suites and high loyalty tiers wouldn't have seen this side of the old system. In those days, I actually preferred to go later as I hated the chaos.

Ah, I see exactly what you mean. Thanks for clarifying.

I AM really bothered, but have advocated on other threads that a fairer system would be to retain early boarding priveliges for the highest tier loyalty members and then the remaining bulk of passengers should be given boarding times in order of booking date. This would definitely be a win-win for P&O as more people would be encouraged to book early. Incidentally, in response to those saying that all perks are paid for somehow, early boarding priveliges or boarding times being allocated in booking date order don't cost anything as this would be done by computer.

Hi Selbourne,

Although I think your system would be great as I book in the first 10 minutes of the first day of booking. I fear it would lead to howls of protest from those who could not book that far out from their cruise. Many working people have no control of their holidays and may well only get nine to twelve months notice.

Of course any change which benefits some and not others will not go down well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Scriv, we have always put luggage labels on our cases with all the info needed for them to be loaded into the correct cages so they can be allocated to the correct part of the ship once on board.

Unlike some on here I think the need to have cabins ready when boarding is not a big deal, if they are not ready there are plenty of places to go once on board to while away the time until they are ready. Not sure if P&O ships have the fire doors by the lift foyers, but Celebrity close these off until the cabins are ready to prevent passengers getting in the way of cabin stewards.

Whatever embarkation system you use the buffet is likely to be crowded when its the only eatery open, but we just find somewhere else to go if its too full, and rarely feel like eating until mid afternoon anyway.

The one issue you don't mention is that of when embarkation should start, and what impact this might have on how soon disembarkation should finish. Most passengers will be off the ship by 10:00am so I fail to understand why embarkation has to wait until 12:30. Again I compare this to Celebrity, they try to disembark passengers ASAP, but their normal last slot is 9:30, so not much difference there. However they start embarkation by 11:00 at the latest, if ready they often start before that. This would seem to to be the biggest difference and I fail to understand why.

That's a great attitude to have and I commend you for it. However, I do believe that only a small proportion of fellow cruisers would take such a laid back approach, especially in this day and age where good service should be a right and not a privelige. I agree that we can't all be on first. There has to be a system. There is one at the moment, but it isn't as efficient as other cruise lines (I haven't experienced them myself, so am basing this on what I have read on here). It seems to me to be a win-win for P&O and passengers alike if there is priority privilege based on loyalty status, with general boarding thereafter based upon booking date. As far as I know, stewards don't all move between decks blitzing one at a time, so all decks should technically be ready at the same time. We consider lunch on board to be the start of our cruise. Frankly, I don't expect to have to bring packed lunches in 2017 when I have paid thousands of pounds for a holiday!

The one issue you don't mention is that of when embarkation should start, and what impact this might have on how soon disembarkation should finish. Most passengers will be off the ship by 10:00am so I fail to understand why embarkation has to wait until 12:30. Again I compare this to Celebrity, they try to disembark passengers ASAP, but their normal last slot is 9:30, so not much difference there. However they start embarkation by 11:00 at the latest, if ready they often start before that. This would seem to to be the biggest difference and I fail to understand why.

Totally agree John, starting too late seems to be stumbling block. On Celebrity you cannot get into your cabin as soon as you board but is that such a big deal ?

Hi John ... As regards luggage distribution, maybe the organisation of the loading and distribution of the luggage cages is a factor too in deciding loading/boarding times? Just a thought.. Who knows. I have never read or heard any explanation of why they can't start earlier either. Personally, I would love to be able to check in on line in advance like with certain airlines, but like others have said, I don't quite see how P&O's current IT infrastructure could cope.

Hi John ... As regards luggage distribution, maybe the organisation of the loading and distribution of the luggage cages is a factor too in deciding loading/boarding times? Just a thought.. Who knows. I have never read or heard any explanation of why they can't start earlier either. Personally, I would love to be able to check in on line in advance like with certain airlines, but like others have said, I don't quite see how P&O's current IT infrastructure could cope.

The loading is controlled by the nice new...ish pretty coloured labels we get. This identifies the deck and position on the deck without having to read each label. It is only read when it gets to the correct deck/position. (Front / middle / back.

OK, so if you sail with Fred Olsen you don't' get lunch on the first day for a start. If you stay at a hotel on full board, you don't get lunch on the first day. Your holiday is eg 14 nights on board. That is dinner on the first day through breakfast on the last day.

Now, if P&O have the buffet open, which they do, every single day and you are lucky enough to board early, you get lunch, but it's not a right surely? those that decide to drive or travel the day before, that's their choice. If I lived 6 hours away, then I would simply get up at sparrow-crack and drive that day. It's personal choice.

Hi Selbourne,

Although I think your system would be great as I book in the first 10 minutes of the first day of booking. I fear it would lead to howls of protest from those who could not book that far out from their cruise. Many working people have no control of their holidays and may well only get nine to twelve months notice.

Of course any change which benefits some and not others will not go down well.

Dai, you are quite correct that what pleases some would upset others, but even as someone who is still working and cannot always book on release dates, for the reasons you describe, I still believe it would be a fairer system than the pot luck we have at present.

Dai, you are quite correct that what pleases some would upset others, but even as someone who is still working and cannot always book on release dates, for the reasons you describe, I still believe it would be a fairer system than the pot luck we have at present.

Fair or not, the current system is not pot luck. It is according to the location of the cabin. Pot luck remains an apt description for the Upgrade Fairy's visits though ;) ................

On the basis of allocating points per cabin grade does this not discriminate against people like ourselves who cruise multiple times per year but prefer inside cabins? The other query is if somebody books a balcony cabin do they spend more time inside the cabin drinking their own alcohol as opposed to spending at the bars? If we are going to get silly should points be allocated for final onboard balance?

Here is a radical thought, scrap the whole loyalty system altogether. In some way we all pay for it anyway. Use the money saved for other purposes eg to improve the embarcation system or reduce the bar prices or bring on big name acts to the theatre.

How many of you would immediately stop cruising with P&O if they removed your loyalty benefits, such as they are? I would suspect precious few as you sail with them for the product not the paltry benefits.

Loyalty benefits had their place back in the day when people took one cruise a year or every few years. Now many people that you speak to on ships (and indeed can gather from on this forum) can take several cruises a year so loyalty grades that used to take years of cruising to reach are reached much more quickly. Then they have to move the goalposts again and again - that annoys customers.

Go for the Big Bang, get rid of the whole system.💣

The loading is controlled by the nice new...ish pretty coloured labels we get. This identifies the deck and position on the deck without having to read each label. It is only read when it gets to the correct deck/position. (Front / middle / back.

I don't think it is controlled by the labels, but that the labels help to determine which cage to put the luggage into. It hardly matters if all like labels are loaded together, in fact this is highly unlikely since Caribbean members and coach passengers could have cabins anywhere on the ship.

I don't think it is controlled by the labels, but that the labels help to determine which cage to put the luggage into. It hardly matters if all like labels are loaded together, in fact this is highly unlikely since Caribbean members and coach passengers could have cabins anywhere on the ship.

Only stating what was said when they came out. All the different pretty colours mean something. Look at the hole's in the wall and you can see the colours up on a board indicating which luggage is to go where.

Here is a radical thought, scrap the whole loyalty system altogether. In some way we all pay for it anyway. Use the money saved for other purposes eg to improve the embarcation system or reduce the bar prices or bring on big name acts to the theatre.

How many of you would immediately stop cruising with P&O if they removed your loyalty benefits, such as they are? I would suspect precious few as you sail with them for the product not the paltry benefits.

Loyalty benefits had their place back in the day when people took one cruise a year or every few years. Now many people that you speak to on ships (and indeed can gather from on this forum) can take several cruises a year so loyalty grades that used to take years of cruising to reach are reached much more quickly. Then they have to move the goalposts again and again - that annoys customers.

Go for the Big Bang, get rid of the whole system.[emoji378]

Yes that would work especially for those who don't drink, don't go to the shows and arrive by coach.

Not going to happen.

Gosh, what genuinely free perks do you get on the other lines you're so keen on, as opposed to the perks bundled into P&O's prices?

On RCI, Diamond members (80 nights cruising) get balcony discounts, a Diamond Lounge with free drinks and nibbles at 'cocktail hour' or three free drinks from any bar during the same hours, welcome 'gift' in the cabin on arrival (not much, just a can of pop!), Diamond breakfast area.

On Celebrity, Elite members get Elite Lounge (see RCI), priority tendering, 90 minutes free internet, free laundry once or twice during a cruise, Elite breakfast in a separate restaurant. And on our last cruise an invite to the helicopter deck for the sail-in to Singapore complete with Singapore Slings.

250 mins free internet, free laundry, free mini-bar and more (Princess)

Well having seen on TV the problems with the laundry when a lot of high tier are onboard..Taking days to return..That's not really any good. Free mini bar....I prefer to take my own choices.. Rather than what they they would like me to have. Free WiFi..Well if a lot of high tier on board..And all using it..Or leaving it on..As they can.Would slow it down.,not for me I'm afraid..

Well having seen on TV the problems with the laundry when a lot of high tier are onboard..Taking days to return..That's not really any good. Free mini bar....I prefer to take my own choices.. Rather than what they they would like me to have. Free WiFi..Well if a lot of high tier on board..And all using it..Or leaving it on..As they can.Would slow it down.,not for me I'm afraid..

I do believe that Princess allow you to choose the mini bar set up. Never had a problem with wi fi on Celebrity so I guess the (good) cruise lines have sorted out internet speeds. :(Similarly our laundry came back promptly without shrinkage or colour seepage.

Thing is there are a lot of people who cruise with pando who think they should board first...The people who drive a long distance to get there...They would be able to get there for 12 ok...But not 1 or 2 hours later.

The people who stay in a hotel the night before...They may have to leave their room by 12...But cannot sit in the foyer for 1 hour..

The people who come by public transport..Who can get to Southampton by/for 12, but not 1 hour later.

All of the above regardless of what system was in place would say it was not fair for them..So they will still turn up at 12..

Yes that would work especially for those who don't drink, don't go to the shows and arrive by coach.

Not going to happen.

Meant as a bit of fun Dai, of course it is not going to happen but then neither are a lot of the other things people are discussing here. P&O wil do what they do and we can all like it or lump it.