I don't get it

Wolfgang18

I've been wanting to go on a cruise for as long as I can remember. I finally got the opportunity and booked a 15 night cruise. I booked 8 months in advance and was super excited and couldn't wait to go. Everyone around me told me how great my holiday would be. Embarkation went smoothly and I had a great cabin with balcony, but that's where my excitement ended.

I can't understand what people find so great about cruising. I know people will tell me that I'm boring, but, it was BORING. What is so exciting about lying around in the sun and reading books. I don't drink and gamble, and even if I did, I couldn't afford to drink on board, and the activities during the day were pathetic. I ended up watching TV in my cabin most days. If I could have afforded it, I would have left the ship at the first port and taken a plane to the final destination.

This was my first cruise, and I would say, will be my last.

It's not for everyone.

Thank goodness or prices would go sky high.

Cruising is not for everyone...especially a cruise with lots of sea days. Personally, we love sea days and book very long cruises (some over 60 days) with lots of those lazy sea days. But the very activities that bore the OP...are what we love. DW and I are in heaven when we can just relax in a comfy deck chair (or a comfy chair inside the ship) with our trusty Kindles (we love to read). Sometimes there might be an activity (such as a lecture) that will get our interest, but otherwise just reading and socializing with our fellow passengers can keep us happy for months.

For a person like the OP, if they do want to cruise, we would suggest a very port intensive itinerary with few sea days. But I do have a question for the OP (hope they see this post). What kind of activity would make you happy on a sea day? or anywhere else!

Hank

In all honesty, it sounds like you didn't do your homework.

Cruise ship cultures vary significantly from wannabe amusement parks to sophisticated living/learning environments. The challenge is to find the cruise line/ship that matches your means and preferences. This also includes considering a multitude of factors ranging from itinerary to duration.

One only needs to peruse the different cruise line forums on CC to begin to see the common experiential threads that define a line's culture. And, yes, they can be extremely different!

When we were young, with kid in tow (and Disney cruises didn't yet exist), Royal Caribbean was the answer - solely because it had a good kids' program. Also, because we were neophyte travelers, the whole new experience of "seeing the world," made the "sampler" concept of port intensive itineraries very attractive.

Fast forward a couple of decades and our means and preferences find us pursuing a different experience with that bottom line challenge being identification of cruise line(s) that "fit us" rather than our having to try to fit in - only then to find ourselves bored to death or otherwise sadly disappointed.

Our formula: the right mix of sea days and never-before-visited ports, high end cabin and common space amenities, food "to die for" and social interactions with other well traveled/accomplished passengers.

Our deal breakers: hordes of passengers, Appleby's/Olive Garden type food, art auctions, nickel/diming and, yes, the tired old Walmart parking lot of the cruise world- the Caribbean.

OP: I'm not trying to sell you into doing another cruise since plying the ocean on a ship may really turn out to not be your "cup of tea." Rather I am suggesting that you may want to more closely examine the different cruise line cultures before shutting the door on the whole concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This answer is perfect. (The deal breakers made me crack up- sounds like a Carnival Cruise to me!! It's ok, I'm not offended, we mix up all types of vacations but always do what works for us overall. You've hit the "Applebees/Olive Garden food" and "Walmart parking lot of the cruise world: the Caribbean" nails straight on the head! Again, no offense taken)

If the OP is the kind of person who wants many activities and enjoys seeing many new things, more ports and a ship with activities you would consider to be fun would have been better. My husband and I have 2 kids and are in our early 30s so short cruises (5-8 days) that are budget friendly and fun work for us. When we choose land based resorts we consider what we like to do as well (currently planning a 2 week "city hopper" trip to Europe for 2018, so I'm looking into modern and hip hotels, unique foods, activities I would consider fun for two 30-something year old adults etc.). The same goes for vacationing with children v. without them. To me your ship choice and lack of ports sounds boring (based on what I like to do). A Mediterranean cruise with a bunch of ports may have suited you better.

Also, that's a really long cruise for a first time sailing.

I hope you give cruising another chance in the future. Cruise Critic is a great resource to explore BEFORE your cruise if you do.

Edited by Neotericisis

Alas everyone is different in how they think and I feel you unfortunately learned a hard and expensive lesson for this case.

Like was said, I wouldn't totally put off cruising forever! You just need to find what is right for you, which does sound like a lot more port days! Med or South America would have probably been much better options.

Unlike you, I really want nothing MORE than to be able to sit around (albeit in the shade) and read all day on a cruise. My husband on the other hand doesn't allow it and needs to be entertained. :( So I have to spend more time doing that than I would like.

I did try that car trip thing once, and actually booked just a 3 day get-a-way for me and DH for the end of June because our booked cruise, while leaving me wiggle room in finances, isn't enough IMO for a long cruise, and so not spending as much on air as a 3-4 day cruise!

After the one and only family land vacation we did, I came home soooo much more stressed than before I left! I will take having food there and knowing what is going on the next day or port instead of having to decide everything then and there. Heck for me and DH's June trip it is only a 5 hour drive, but I have already planned a list of restaurants to go eat at so there is no confusion or "where to go" stress.

I am sure I am not the only one who gets enough "excitement" in their everyday lives than days doing nothing sounds so much better! As a matter of fact I won't be using my 2017 vacation time from work, I plan on spending 2 random weeks in the year, doing totally nothing at home but sitting in the shade (in the summer/fall) or curled up on the couch reading for pleasure :D

It also depends on the cruise line itself and what they're known for. Carnival, for instance, is known for their entertainment and is generally thought of as the "party" ships. Other cruise lines, such as Celebrity, are more known for their food. I would suggest giving cruising another try, but this time, do your research on the cruise line itself before you book.

Also, in my humble opinion, 18 nights is way too long for a cruise. I can justify 2 weeks, but almost a month is a bit much. And this is coming from someone who has been on about 15 cruises!

It also depends on the cruise line itself and what they're known for. Carnival, for instance, is known for their entertainment and is generally thought of as the "party" ships. Other cruise lines, such as Celebrity, are more known for their food. I would suggest giving cruising another try, but this time, do your research on the cruise line itself before you book.

Also, in my humble opinion, 18 nights is way too long for a cruise. I can justify 2 weeks, but almost a month is a bit much. And this is coming from someone who has been on about 15 cruises!

Sorry but Celebrity is hardly known for its food.

Whereas some of us think two weeks is too short.

That's the great thing about cruising, there is pretty much an option to fit most if they look around.

Thankyou to everyone that replied to my thread, and pardon the pun, but I've taken onboard what each person wrote.

I'm curious if you used a travel agent or just picked a ship on your own. If you used a TA, they should have asked you all kinds of questions about what you like to do on vacation and pointed you in the right direction.

I did use a TA. I went in because the deal Cunard were having seemed quite good. The trip from Sydney to Japan was AU$3,500. The only comment the TA made to me was that I've started with the best and everything else would be a let down. They never really asked any questions.

BTW, you don't say how old you are. That would make a difference too as what ship might be better for you. For you, perhaps one of the very large RCI ships which are loaded with activities.

I'm 53 and like to think still very active.

I like to go on destination ships with all the bells and whistles like the new NCL ships. During sea days I spend it walking around I spend time on the rope corse, Pools & slides. I read a bit do the quizzes and take the dance classes. I love cruises.

Unfortunately, the ship had no rope course or slides. I attended a trivia night and teamed up with an old Dutch couple. The questions were very religious based, which I have no knowledge in, plus the old couple couldn't speak fluent English. We then had to give our answers to the next table, and because we did poorly, we were made to feel like idiots. We all sneaked out of the pub, feeling miserable and vowing never to do that again.

There's nothing exciting about lying around and reading books. For me, that's kind of the point......I don't go on a cruise for excitement. For me, a cruise is about being calm and relaxed, not being excited and stressed (excitement is a type of stress, but a good type).

The problem is I felt more stressed being on the ship because I couldn't work out why I wasn't enjoying it. One person onboard did say to me, if you don't enjoy the first few hours on the ship, you never will. I'm afraid I fell into that category. I just can't bring myself to just sit around. I like to get up early and be active. I found I was up on the Lido deck hours before anyone else.

There are tons of things for people to do on a ship if you just spend some time looking.

Believe me I looked. The biggest disappointment was that everyone says that cruising is great because it is all inclusive. I'm sorry, but that's a huge lie, and in this modern day, we had to pay $75 for an hour of WiFi.

Cruise ship cultures vary significantly from wannabe amusement parks to sophisticated living/learning environments.

I'm not a drinker, and definitely not a party goer, and the thought of being in a lecture would be like sitting in a meeting at work. I know I sound like a party pooper, and I don't know what I expected, but I thought there would be more than what was on offer. An example is, we were at sea at approx. 9.30pm and going near Papua New Guinea. It was a hot night so I thought I would head over to the pool in the midship to see what was happening. NOTHING. I did not see one person that night. A ship of 2000 people and nothing. I thought we must have entered the Bermuda Triangle.

I amused myself daily by running from the bottom deck to the top deck several times and by running around and around the ship. On the bright side, I left the ship 2kg lighter.

As others have stated, cruising isn't for everyone, and it's definitely not for me.

Thankyou to everyone that replied to my thread, and pardon the pun, but I've taken onboard what each person wrote.

I'm curious if you used a travel agent or just picked a ship on your own. If you used a TA, they should have asked you all kinds of questions about what you like to do on vacation and pointed you in the right direction.

I did use a TA. I went in because the deal Cunard were having seemed quite good. The trip from Sydney to Japan was AU$3,500. The only comment the TA made to me was that I've started with the best and everything else would be a let down. They never really asked any questions.

BTW, you don't say how old you are. That would make a difference too as what ship might be better for you. For you, perhaps one of the very large RCI ships which are loaded with activities.

I'm 53 and like to think still very active.

I like to go on destination ships with all the bells and whistles like the new NCL ships. During sea days I spend it walking around I spend time on the rope corse, Pools & slides. I read a bit do the quizzes and take the dance classes. I love cruises.

Unfortunately, the ship had no rope course or slides. I attended a trivia night and teamed up with an old Dutch couple. The questions were very religious based, which I have no knowledge in, plus the old couple couldn't speak fluent English. We then had to give our answers to the next table, and because we did poorly, we were made to feel like idiots. We all sneaked out of the pub, feeling miserable and vowing never to do that again.

There's nothing exciting about lying around and reading books. For me, that's kind of the point......I don't go on a cruise for excitement. For me, a cruise is about being calm and relaxed, not being excited and stressed (excitement is a type of stress, but a good type).

The problem is I felt more stressed being on the ship because I couldn't work out why I wasn't enjoying it. One person onboard did say to me, if you don't enjoy the first few hours on the ship, you never will. I'm afraid I fell into that category. I just can't bring myself to just sit around. I like to get up early and be active. I found I was up on the Lido deck hours before anyone else.

There are tons of things for people to do on a ship if you just spend some time looking.

Believe me I looked. The biggest disappointment was that everyone says that cruising is great because it is all inclusive. I'm sorry, but that's a huge lie, and in this modern day, we had to pay $75 for an hour of WiFi.

Cruise ship cultures vary significantly from wannabe amusement parks to sophisticated living/learning environments.

I'm not a drinker, and definitely not a party goer, and the thought of being in a lecture would be like sitting in a meeting at work. I know I sound like a party pooper, and I don't know what I expected, but I thought there would be more than what was on offer. An example is, we were at sea at approx. 9.30pm and going near Papua New Guinea. It was a hot night so I thought I would head over to the pool in the midship to see what was happening. NOTHING. I did not see one person that night. A ship of 2000 people and nothing. I thought we must have entered the Bermuda Triangle.

I amused myself daily by running from the bottom deck to the top deck several times and by running around and around the ship. On the bright side, I left the ship 2kg lighter.

As others have stated, cruising isn't for everyone, and it's definitely not for me.

Since you are willing to share your observations, you may also want to make some comments on Yelp, or other review sites, about the travel agent.

Asking you no questions about preferences and suggesting that Cunard was "the best" are sure indications that you picked someone who either doesn't know the cruise industry or just isn't very good at the job.

Nonetheless, from your surprise about things like the condition (or lack of) a gym and the cost of the Internet, it appears that you didn't ask (m)any questions either.

So, when you decide to do that trek to Machu Piccu, PLEASE do the homework - especially when it comes to selecting a TA.

Now that we have read the OP's expectations and "likes" we understand :). Anyone who has extensive cruising experience with many lines (and this does not often include travel or many cruise agents) would know that Cunard of HAL would be an awful fit for the OP. They are essentially looking for a large ship with lots of amenities/extras on a port intensive cruise.....where there is seldom a dull moment. Cunard was a British cruise line (its now owned by CCL) who has tried to maintain some of its English roots. The Brits are more subdued then many of us yanks and their ships reflect that attitude. So when we did a crossing (with 5 Sea days) on the Queen Mary...a popular afternoon activity was going to a shorted Shakespeare Play, perhaps to the Observatory, or just browsing their extensive library. That is what most on the ship expect. If one wants wall to wall activities (and options) they might prefer one of RCI's Oasis Class ships....or perhaps the huge NCL vessels. Personally we have a strong dislike for those kind of ships because we want to relax during a quiet sea day...without constant announcements about activities, sales, schedules, etc. But that is why there are different kinds of cruise lines and ships.

Hank

I can understand some people that like to sit around and relax, but I feel like I'm wasting time and money by sitting around and doing nothing. Why would you want to pay to sit around and do nothing?

I totally agree w you on this issue. Unfortunately, you picked a cruise w a lot of sea days. I hate sea days as they are a total waste of time. You should have picked on w mainly land days.

DON

I can understand the OP's disappointment. I was on the QE Southampton-New York, first segment of the World Cruise. I can't recall ever being on Cunard with such a bunch of stand-offish and anti-social people, no better than an American ship. The Queens Room was always almost empty.and the Golden Lion no better, the piano player often playing to 3 or 4 customers. It wasn't a really bad cruise, just that the things Cunard did do well, I could have gotten better value elsewhere.

I agree the TA shouldn't be selling cruises, but isn't the point, that a new cruiser doesn't know what questions to ask?

The person to blame here is the TA.

I am a Brit, I like cups of tea and ballroom dancing.... but I know that I would have been bored out of my brains on this trip too. I am sorry you had this experience. On any number of lines your TA could have shown you, you would have had a totally different vacation.

I am also a practicing catholic, and probably would have done worse than you at the quiz. Shakespeare?? ....oh no... had enough of that at school thank you very much!

I am really not trying to be mean but you booked a long cruise with hardly any port days and you can't understand why you only saw water.. I am not quite sure what you were expecting to see out in the middle of the ocean.

I've been wanting to go on a cruise for as long as I can remember. I finally got the opportunity and booked a 15 night cruise. I booked 8 months in advance and was super excited and couldn't wait to go. Everyone around me told me how great my holiday would be. Embarkation went smoothly and I had a great cabin with balcony, but that's where my excitement ended.

I can't understand what people find so great about cruising. I know people will tell me that I'm boring, but, it was BORING. What is so exciting about lying around in the sun and reading books. I don't drink and gamble, and even if I did, I couldn't afford to drink on board, and the activities during the day were pathetic. I ended up watching TV in my cabin most days. If I could have afforded it, I would have left the ship at the first port and taken a plane to the final destination.

This was my first cruise, and I would say, will be my last.

I reluctantly started cruising 4 years ago, a simple 7-day Caribbean trip. Enjoyed it! Since then I have done quite a few more including 6 14-15 day cruises and 5 more long ones planned. On Celebrity (and Royal as I recall) there are typically 3-4 guest speakers doing presentations on sea days on those long transatlantic trips. Even shorter cruises have fine naturalists doing presentations on the sea life etc. My biggest issue has been that much of it is too interesting and I can't pull my self away to go find a quiet spot and just read a book. And then there are the interesting people you meet, fun to talk to, ...

I agree with the others. Cunard is fancy, but boring. Royal sounds more like your cup of tea. Trivia on religion?! I would have failed too! And my undergrad university was Catholic lol!

Hopefully the OP will give it another chance for a shorter cruise on another line in the future-without this awful TA! Perhaps doing a search of the daily itinerary for Royal and NCL will help? Look at all the activities- can you picture enjoying them? If so, maybe another go round will be worth it.

Also, going up on deck and seeing no one would never happen on Carnival. It's the Walmart of the seas for sure, but when I want to relax or have a romantic vacation I do an AI, when I want adventure I do Europe or South America, and when I want to do a group line dance with a frosty drink in my hand I jump on Carnival (will be trying RC soon though since they go out of our home port).

Happy cruising!

While this may very well be true, and we don't really expect you to spend thousands of dollars trying cruising again when you hated it- I think it's more accurate to say 'a Cunard Ocean voyage isn't for me'. To write off cruising based on that trip would be like saying 'land based holidays aren't for me' after trying one resort that you didn't like! I kind of think if you had gone on a port intensive cruise with Royal Caribbean or NCL you might have just loved it. Nobody on deck at 9.30pm? Try glow parties, poolside cinema screenings and live music! You were let down badly by your travel agent in their choice of cruise for you.

Cruising certainly isn't for everyone, and in particular if you pick the wrong line or itinerary.

I've only been on 3 cruises, and 3 vastly different cruises at that, but I've enjoyed all of them.

First was a south pacific cruise in 2001 on the old Pacific Sky (RIP). The ship was basic at best, but we had lots of fun and enjoyed the ports.

Next was a small ship cruise in 2007 in Alaska. Next to no facilities - the "gym" was one single exercise bike, there was only one dining room, and the only entertainment on board was a cultural or wildlife lecture each evening around 7pm before everyone turned in. But the location was so fascinating that we spent most of our time on deck and loved it.

Our most recent was on the Disney Fantasy on a Caribbean cruise, and first time wtih our two kids. This was our first on a really big ship and we never felt bored either. Even on the two sea days, we had plenty of things to do.

I think the disconnect comes with people who aren't used to making their own fun onboard. Good friends of ours went cruising on I think the same ship and itinerary as our first cruise and they too were bored and couldn't wait to get off. I couldn't believe they had such a wildly different experience to us.

I totally agree! I think you picked the wrong cruise, although perhaps cruising in general really isn't your thing. My husband and I have done mostly Royal Caribbean cruises, since we started when I was 35 to now (am 62), and I have never been bored. On a RCI cruise there is so much to do, including the gym. The problem has been to fit everything in that I want to do.

I agree with the others. Cunard is fancy, but boring. Royal sounds more like your cup of tea. Trivia on religion?! I would have failed too! And my undergrad university was Catholic lol!

Hopefully the OP will give it another chance for a shorter cruise on another line in the future-without this awful TA! Perhaps doing a search of the daily itinerary for Royal and NCL will help? Look at all the activities- can you picture enjoying them? If so, maybe another go round will be worth it.

Also, going up on deck and seeing no one would never happen on Carnival. It's the Walmart of the seas for sure, but when I want to relax or have a romantic vacation I do an AI, when I want adventure I do Europe or South America, and when I want to do a group line dance with a frosty drink in my hand I jump on Carnival (will be trying RC soon though since they go out of our home port).

Happy cruising!

I am so glad to see that we weren't the only ones who felt this way .... we took a cruise 2 years ago at the insistence of family members and some friends on how incredibly fun and relaxing it would be ...we were reluctant for many years, but finally gave in and tried it.

We did loads of homework (much here on CC), used a TA, took in many of our cruising friends and family's recommendations, and .....HATED IT.

We too found it boring (on an RCL ship BTW) .... too many reasons to list, but suffice it to say many of the reasons that multiple other 1 time cruisers have cited here on these boards.

Anyway .... to the Original Poster's point. we don't get the cruising hype either. After that one cruise, we returned to other vacations which we enjoy more ..... I don't begrudge those who swear by cruising ....I'm just not one who will likely cruise again soon.

I remember talking to a client who had just returned>>>hated his sole cruising experience....I said "Yeah, not my idea of a good time either." He came back with "Unless your idea of a good time is lying around in the sun, reading & napping, and drinking beer, it's just no good." That was the point where I first thought 'hmmm... MAYBE I should reconsider?'

Fast forward --I finally relented, after years of refusing, and agreed to take DW for 25th Annv first (and in my mind ONLY) cruise. I researched the hell out of everything and selected a 14 night RCCL Caribbean Repo. I was jumping in with both feet, not just dipping a toe in the pool, knowing this was not the typical first timer approach. We had numerous comments from fellow passengers expressing pleasant surprise that we were so bold. But it was supposedly a 25th annv, 1&done experience which seemed a better value $/night than many shorter cruises. And I wanted to treat her right.

Can't recall if it was the second or third day when the words "OK, when we do the next one....." first came out of my mouth. DW was of course thrilled.

We'll be on a our shortest trip yet this Nov, 9 nights out of Boston to San Juan. DW already expressing doubt that we'll be satisfied with such a brief vacation. And I don't end up doing much lying around or napping.

I can understand some people that like to sit around and relax, but I feel like I'm wasting time and money by sitting around and doing nothing. Why would you want to pay to sit around and do nothing?

Well for us, we've traveled the world via the military. Lived crazy busy lives raising our kids and now work from home. We used to live in a busy city with horrific traffic and even traveled in a Motorhome and have a timeshare we could use IF we liked driving in the mess on the roads these days. For us, we don't need an ocean (we live at one of the prettiest beaches in the world). We cruise because we don't have to drive, we RELAX and shut down technology and just be US together and enjoying special time.

To each their own!

Sent from my iPad using Forums