Are you loyal?

We've been on a lot (well over 100 between cruises and TA's) on many lines. Our favorite lines are and we're top tier, or whatever you want to call it, on Princess, HAL and Celebrity, so the specific perks and bennies of one particular line are not all that important although we think for us anyway "Elite" on Princess offers the most, but we choose based on itinerary, dates, price. But our past experiences pretty much limits our choices to one of these 3 lines.

I don't really have any loyalty to any particular line, although there are some that I probably wouldn't use due to reputation, itinerary, etc. Also, I'm more likely to go on a line I've used before, simply because I know what to expect. I've only been on three different ones, Celebrity, Carnival and Princess, but I am open to trying others if the port of departure and destinations are what I want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We pick a cruise based on itinerary first, departure port (no flying is a definite plus). timing, then price & perks (including those offered due to cruise line loyalty status). So far we've been on 7 cruise lines, 297 nights aboard. We've done the most nights on RCI & Princess, due to several long cruises (over 28 night) on each. We love the Radiance Class ships on RCI, for the smaller size, the Schooner Bar, and the aft corner balconies - would book a cruise just for one of those cabins no matter where it was going. We love Princess for the overall experience and their interesting itineraries from the West Coast (round trip from LA to Hawaii, Tahiti/Polynesia, and even half way through the Panama Canal). We've also sailed quite a bit on Celebrity - can't think of an outstanding feature, but they often seem to fit where we want to go, when we want to go. We get significant loyalty perks on all of those.

We'd love to try HAL now that they've changed their smoking policy - some interesting itineraries and smaller ships are attractive. We also plan to try Oceana if we can find a reasonably priced itinerary/timing fit. The luxury lines are out of our price range, haven't found much reason to try NCL (though our first cruise was on the Starward), and we avoid Carnival after 1 trip. We'd also like to try Viking Ocean and a couple of the European river cruises. So many possibilities, so little time & money in comparison!

Itinerary, but also the departure port. We like to try new lines, but have a favourite for our winter month's cruise. Some lines are at the bottom of our list for the constant on board charges, but we're open to many others. Trying Fred Olsen next, and we're very interested in Saga's new build.

Our case (almost) exactly. No veteran benefits as we don't deserve them but, other than that, we also feel that Princess "just fits". We took our first cruise on Princess and loved it and have since then only sailed on Princess. We bought stock after the first cruise when I learned about it here on CC and always have FCD for the low deposit and additional OBC. We will remain "loyal" as long as Princess continues to make us happy. The crew on Princess ships have always been fantastic. They are always so polite, friendly, and helpful. It may not hurt that we are always polite and friendly to the crew in return and always use those (seemingly outdated) words "please" and "thank you".

Fits for us also. Booked Princess cruises #31 and #32 and planning many more, either booking onboard or FCD. We like the elite benefits, the outstanding crew, our fantastic Princess CVP Cara Razo, the shareholder's benefit (bought the stock at $22), and being treated like royalty when we cruise. The Royal class ships are wonderful but we still like the ones we sailed on when we started in 2002. No interest in cruising on other lines.

We like scenery cruises that we don't have to fly to, which pretty much leaves us fjords cruises leaving out of Copenhagen or Hamburg. Costa and MSC both have horrible reputations, so we choose from whatever other options are available... from Seabourn down to NCL.

I'd say my hierarchy is:

1. Departure port - Must be within driving distance, at least for now when we are still trying to vacation on a budget

2. Itinerary - Would pay more to avoid repeating a destination

3. Ship - Would pay more for a newer/larger ship

4. Cost - Gotta have some money leftover for bingo!

I have my prefered cruise lines but will drop them in a heartbeat for a better itinerary on another line or a good price deal.

The only cruises I have ruled out are ones for old folk or just adults because of my age.

Customer loyalty is the willingness to purchase something at a premium. Why would I want to be loyal to any company? I want the best for my family, not for the companies I do business with.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

This is an extremely personal matter.

IMO, I'm not going on a ship with mediocre food or service, which is EVERY mass market line (can you really provide decent food for less than $10/person/day?).

I don't see the value in luxury lines. So, it's the premium lines for me (e.g., Oceania)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

itinerary..... itinerary ...... itinerary ......

(And then find the smallest ship in the bunch that cruises that itinerary.)

Lately that ship has been (more often than not) HAL. They have the smaller ships, and just seem to take more pride in interesting ports, and "exotic" trips... (Plus there is the Promenade... That is a huge plus, I gotta admit!)

But having said THAT, our last cruise was on Star Clippers, and our next is on CMV, so I dont know HOW "loyal" I really am to ANY cruise line!

Not loyal. My signature can attest.

I have less cruises with my two favorites than on some others. Convenience getting to some ports, itineraries make us cheat!

Edited by Tatka

IMO, I'm not going on a ship with mediocre food or service, which is EVERY mass market line (can you really provide decent food for less than $10/person/day?).

I don't see the value in luxury lines. So, it's the premium lines for me (e.g., Oceania)

Well ... everything is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't think for example that Princess or Celebrity food is mediocre, but read luxury lines frequenters reviews about Oceania. You'd think it is mediocre line. :)

We do question part of your thinking. Oceania is a decent cruise line, but far from a "luxury" line, Just consider their old Renaissance ships where most of the cabins are actually smaller then the regular balcony cabins found on many mass market lines. If you want a true luxury line (this would be close to an all inclusive cruise) you need to be considering Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, Crystal, Regent, etc. The cost of those lines will generally exceed $600 per passenger day (and often approach $1000 per passenger day). As one who has cruised 14 lines including many mass markets, luxury, etc. the issue is usually money. In most cases a luxury line is going to cost us $400-700 per passenger/day more then a line such as HAL or Celebrity. If one has the money and is willing to pay the price, those luxury lines are great choices. But most folks cannot afford the big bucks...so hence we compromise. In our case we often cruise over 100 days a year. If we changed all of our mass market cruises to luxury cruise lines it could easily cost us another $200,000 a year!

Hank

I'm not a loyalist, but there are only a few cruise lines that offer the things that are important to me, including interesting ports/itineraries, enrichment activities and lecturers onboard, smaller ships, decent solo pricing.

Good food is somewhat important but isn't a significant driver as I often travel where I prefer to eat ashore anyway.

We do question part of your thinking. Oceania is a decent cruise line, but far from a "luxury" line, Just consider their old Renaissance ships where most of the cabins are actually smaller then the regular balcony cabins found on many mass market lines. If you want a true luxury line (this would be close to an all inclusive cruise) you need to be considering Seabourn, Silverseas, Sea Dream, Crystal, Regent, etc. The cost of those lines will generally exceed $600 per passenger day (and often approach $1000 per passenger day). As one who has cruised 14 lines including many mass markets, luxury, etc. the issue is usually money. In most cases a luxury line is going to cost us $400-700 per passenger/day more then a line such as HAL or Celebrity. If one has the money and is willing to pay the price, those luxury lines are great choices. But most folks cannot afford the big bucks...so hence we compromise. In our case we often cruise over 100 days a year. If we changed all of our mass market cruises to luxury cruise lines it could easily cost us another $200,000 a year!

Hank

Never referred to O as "luxury." Like Azamara, it is "mostly inclusive" with the main exception between the two being that O includes airfare or air credit.

As for cost, I maintain my contention that O provides excellent value. When you consider that airfare/credit (as much as $1500-$2000 for the types of international destinations we prefer), included beverages, specialty restaurants, unlimited internet, etc. and a choice from among "O Life" perks (booze, excursions or OBC), the real value in that cabin cost becomes apparent (even more so if B2B cruises are booked as significantly discounted "extended journeys"). And when you step out of that cabin, you are never looking at more than 670 (R ship) or 1100 (O ship) fellow passengers.

Speaking of the cabin: our situation may be different than many other cruisers in that we are sloop sailors used to the cozy comfort of boats from 30' to 60'. So, an R ship balcony cabin is plenty big - even on our cruises that exceed seven weeks. And more important than that cabin size are the cabin amenities. Some O cruisers actually buy those same mattresses! And, on the O ships, there are those several wonderful extended balconies that we usually secure by booking as soon as itineraries are announced.

The "loyalty" side of Oceania is another substantial benefit. Added OBC, included gratuities and discounted services (along with the above mentioned inclusive savings) often find the O cruise price on select itineraries to be right in line with lines like Princess, HAL and Celebrity.

And that's where things really start to differ from the mainstream.

Not because we are snooty or picky, but rather because I have grown up in NYC and have lived in other cosmopolitan cities like SF and LA, my expectations for food quality tend to be at the upper end of the scale. With the exception of Crystal and another luxury line or two, Oceania spends far more per passenger on food than every other line and few will dispute that its food is unrivaled at sea. And as suggested in my earlier post: if I am going to be on a ship for more than a month at a time, the Appleby's and Olive Garden type swill we've experienced on lines like RCCL or NCL is an unquestionable deal breaker.

Conversely, we don't need the "wannabe" entertainment on mass market lines. Need a Broadway show? Sail from/to New York and stay a few days.

Finally, there is Oceania's relationship with its top producing (Connoisseurs Club) TAs who are paid differential commissions and are provided "pass through" incentives, which often are shared with their clients. Rotating "private" O partner sales among those agencies along with extra perks for TA consortia members (e.g., Virtuoso) always sweeten the deal.

From your posts, I am convinced that you value cabin size and some pricing considerations above many of the qualities important to us (and many other O loyalists).

"Different strokes for different folks."

Different strokes ... does mean that Celebrity or Princess provide mediocre quality.

No need to describe them like that.

Just different preferences.

Different strokes ... does mean that Celebrity or Princess provide mediocre quality.

No need to describe them like that.

Just different preferences.

I don't think it's a revelation that there's a difference in quality between segments of the cruise industry. It's a large part of why there is a retail price differential.

And there's nothing wrong with pointing out that something like the food is clearly a better quality of product on one line vs another. After all, don't we have one entire area of a government department (Agriculture) that does just that: e.g., USDA grading of meats?

Celebrity or Princess may be fine for the expectations of that segment of the cruising community that frequents them. But, to suggest that the tangible quality of things like food and/or cabin amenities cannot be deemed "mediocre" is ridiculous.

My friends sailed with lines I mentioned and Oceania and found quality of food comparable, but on Princess for example seafood selections were more varied. So it is in the eye.. I agree.

However "mediocrity" does not apply.

While itinerary and price are driving factors for me I also recognize that some lines market to certain age groups such as Carnival for the young party-goers, Disney for parents of pre-school and school-aged kids, personally, as a senior I want a quieter crowd with entertainment with lots of 60s,70s, and 80s music. I am very happy with Celebrity but I think younger cruisers would have a very different perspective.

My friends sailed with lines I mentioned and Oceania and found quality of food comparable, but on Princess for example seafood selections were more varied. So it is in the eye.. I agree.

However "mediocrity" does not apply.

Call the difference whatever you like. At the bottom line, we're still talking about a significant difference in quality.

Instead of our "friends" or my personal observation, let's turn to the experts for their views:

http://travel.usnews.com/cruises/best-cruise-ships/luxury/

OR, let's just look at the most recent critical acclaim for Oceania Cruises' quality (2016):

“Best for Food”, Contemporary Luxury

“Best for On-Shore Excursions”, Contemporary Luxury

“Best for Suites”, Contemporary Luxury

2016 Town & Country Cruise Awards

“Best Dining”

2016 Cruise Critic Cruisers’ US Editor’s Picks Awards

“Best In Cuisine”

Travel Weekly – Readers’ Choice Awards 2016

“Best for Food”

Cruise International Awards 2016

“Best Premium Cruise Line”

Virtuoso Travel Awards 2016

“Best Cruise Line of the Year” – Small Ships (Gold)

Recommend Magazine

“Best Cruise Value”

Ocean & Cruise News – Best Value Cruise Awards 2016

“Best Main Dining Room”

Porthole Cruise Magazine – Readers’ Choice Awards 2016

“Best South America Itineraries”

Porthole Cruise Magazine – Readers’ Choice Awards 2016

“The World’s Best Large-Ship Ocean Cruise Lines”

World’s Best Awards 2016 (Travel + Leisure)

“Boutique Cruise Line of the Year”

Food and Travel Magazine – Reader Awards 2016