Great Butlers of NCL

NancyL2

Sounds like the Maria I had 2x on the Escape...she is awesome! I wasn't aware she did night "butlering". Maybe she fills in sometimes?

My other favorite is Loy who I had on the Pearl. He was outstanding!

I wonder if your Maria was the same one we had for our Butler last October on the Escape. She was always singing and so obviously loved her job. I hope she ends up as our butler again in September.

Sounds like the Maria I had 2x on the Escape...she is awesome! I wasn't aware she did night "butlering". Maybe she fills in sometimes?!

I was told by a couple of butlers that when they are ending or beginning a contract they are given the night shift.

I was told by a couple of butlers that when they are ending or beginning a contract they are given the night shift.

That would make sense. She left for her for her break the day we finished the cruise in February. Almost time for her to return.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/cruise-suites-and-penthouses

They should keep water and soda stocked upon request. They normally do not deliver liquor w/o a charge; you need to go to bar. Since drinks are inclusive on the Sky, and no one gets charged, I assume either they don't deliver at all or they do and don't charge.

There are thousands of threads/posts regarding suite perks so maybe do a search and read...read...read! :-)

Thank you so much!

The butlers I have had on NCL have been low key. To be fair to them we ask nothing of them at all except the room set up in the beginning. So in that respect they did their job. We had one butler on another cruise line that thought he was being "helpful" and made us feel uncomfortable as he was so overly solicitous it was alarming. So I guess NCL was better as the butlers have respected our privacy. Our room stewards have been outstanding.

We LOVED both Mark Santos and Putu. Mark was our butler on the Star GV and Putu on the Jewel GV. Both were AMAZING.

Maja651, I would be very interested in your views on the difference between the Star and the Jewel GV's. I am considering a Panama Canal transit and both those ships are in contention. I have been on both ships, so know the basic ship info; it is the GV in particular that I am interested in. (Never been in the GV, but have been waiting for the perfect opportunity. LOVE the Haven.) Looking at 3 couples (not related) going in together.

Maja651, I would be very interested in your views on the difference between the Star and the Jewel GV's. I am considering a Panama Canal transit and both those ships are in contention. I have been on both ships, so know the basic ship info; it is the GV in particular that I am interested in. (Never been in the GV, but have been waiting for the perfect opportunity. LOVE the Haven.) Looking at 3 couples (not related) going in together.

Hi,

I am not maja651, but I have been on both the Star and the Jewel.

I've stayed in the GV on the Star and visited the GV on the Jewel.

In my opinion, (just an opinion) I would go with the Star.

We had 3 unrelated couples on the Star and we had a blast.

You have a huge deck area, hot tub and sauna.

Go up a level and you have another sun deck that is about as big as a football field.

It overlooks the pool deck..

GV on the STAR has 3 bedrooms and 3 12 baths.

The Master bedroom is obviously the nicest & biggest.

The second bedroom is pretty big also.

Both of these have very nice bathrooms.

The third bedroom has an inside bathroom and is much like a mini suite or balcony cabin.

Not bad, just not as nice a the other two.

Think kids cabin.

We were in the smallest room & we paid less.

We LOVED it!!!

We actually divided the payment so that the master paid the most, then the 2nd bedroom, & then us.

I think the biggest difference was from 1&2 to the 3rd.

You will have a huge picnic table outside (covered with slats for shade).

We ate out there sometimes.

Look for You tube videos of the GV on both ships.

Good luck!!

This is a great suite for parties.

We invited some of the CC people up, but not all.

On the Jewel, the layout is different and it is up in the Haven if I remember right.

There is no Haven on the Star, so it is very private.

2 GVs on the Star share one entire level and private entrance from the middle elevator.

If you had 6 couples, you could open the privacy wall and have the upper deck completely open.

This is just my opinion.

Either one would be amazing.

We may get into trouble for posting an off topic reply, but here goes. ;p

I would definitely pick the Star GV over the Jewel. Here's why:

1. Star has 2 huge master bedrooms and baths. (Jewel has one, and it is not as nice as either of the Star Masters) Even the third bedroom on the Star is nicer than either one of the non masters on the Jewel.

2. Star has a LOT MORE outdoor space and privacy than the Jewel. (Although, I like the placement of the hot tub better on the Jewel, as it is right next to the glass near the water, versus on the Star it is in the middle of the downstairs courtyard. You can see the ocean much better in the Jewel hot tub.

3. Exclusivity - no Haven on the Star, so the elevator banks to the villas ONLY go to the villas. You really feel like you are royalty when you stay in the GV on the Star (or Dawn as well I would assume).

4. Bar area is bigger on the Star (providing you pick the villa with the bar, not the kitchen).

Don't get me wrong, the Jewel GV was very nice too, and you have access to the Haven on the Jewel, in case you have this burning desire to use the little pool that is there. We never used the Haven on the Jewel, as there really was no need. We had everything we needed or wanted in the villa.

Also note that when you have the GV, you will probably spend most of your time IN the villa space (either the inside or outdoor parts). We did not spend a lot of time exploring the ship when we were in the villas.

Putu on the Star last year. Absolutely amazing. He quickly figured out our family, and between him and our room steward Phil, we called them the ninjas because they were so stealth! Lovely people, very professional and very good at their jobs. I would love to have them as our cabin team again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We may get into trouble for posting an off topic reply, but here goes. ;p

I would definitely pick the Star GV over the Jewel. Here's why:

1. Star has 2 huge master bedrooms and baths. (Jewel has one, and it is not as nice as either of the Star Masters) Even the third bedroom on the Star is nicer than either one of the non masters on the Jewel.

2. Star has a LOT MORE outdoor space and privacy than the Jewel. (Although, I like the placement of the hot tub better on the Jewel, as it is right next to the glass near the water, versus on the Star it is in the middle of the downstairs courtyard. You can see the ocean much better in the Jewel hot tub.

3. Exclusivity - no Haven on the Star, so the elevator banks to the villas ONLY go to the villas. You really feel like you are royalty when you stay in the GV on the Star (or Dawn as well I would assume).

4. Bar area is bigger on the Star (providing you pick the villa with the bar, not the kitchen).

Don't get me wrong, the Jewel GV was very nice too, and you have access to the Haven on the Jewel, in case you have this burning desire to use the little pool that is there. We never used the Haven on the Jewel, as there really was no need. We had everything we needed or wanted in the villa.

Also note that when you have the GV, you will probably spend most of your time IN the villa space (either the inside or outdoor parts). We did not spend a lot of time exploring the ship when we were in the villas.

I will have to look at the Star again I didn't know that the Star had a garden Villa if that is what GV means. Thank you need to correct we are going on the Sky and it's the ship that I believe doesn't have a GV .

I will have to look at the Star again I didn't know that the Star had a garden Villa if that is what GV means. Thank you need to correct we are going on the Sky and it's the ship that I believe doesn't have a GV .

Star and Dawn as well as all the Jewel class ships each have 2 GVs. As noted, the Jewel class are different than the Dawn class GVs. No GVs on the ships prior to Dawn class.

Star and Dawn as well as all the Jewel class ships each have 2 GVs. As noted, the Jewel class are different than the Dawn class GVs. No GVs on the ships prior to Dawn class.

We were on the Dawn in a DOS, and in the theatre, we shared seating one evening with the couple in one of the Garden Villas, who invited us to take a look.

The space is amazing, of course.

But the outdoor area with the Hot Tub!? I later compared the floor plans for other GV's, and it's not at all the same.

I don't know what they did during the recent refurbishing, but that area was almost a "sanctuary", totally secluded, and with a bit of statuary that gave it a slight feel of Florence.

That was really "special".

One down side to the GV's for us is that they seem to overlook the main deck and pool area. That's not the view we want.

We try to get forward suites, so we see "the view from the Bridge", which is wonderful.

We were on the Dawn in a DOS, and in the theatre, we shared seating one evening with the couple in one of the Garden Villas, who invited us to take a look.

The space is amazing, of course.

But the outdoor area with the Hot Tub!? I later compared the floor plans for other GV's, and it's not at all the same.

I don't know what they did during the recent refurbishing, but that area was almost a "sanctuary", totally secluded, and with a bit of statuary that gave it a slight feel of Florence.

That was really "special".

One down side to the GV's for us is that they seem to overlook the main deck and pool area. That's not the view we want.

We try to get forward suites, so we see "the view from the Bridge", which is wonderful.

It sounds like you were on the Dawn after the recent refurb? I've seen pictures and the refurb of the Dawn's GVs looks really nice. Only problem is the pricing is crazy.

The Dawn class GVs have the huge upper deck area and my guess it is really well under-utilized so on the Jewel class they took most of that away and made it into the Haven areas.

I like the front suites too. We sailed on Gem DOS which overlooks the pool area and it is actually kind of fun to see what is going on and there wasn't any noise issues. DW probably likes that better than the front suites.

Our absolute favorite was Juremar, but I've heard he's left Norwegian.

Sorry to read this. We had him one year on the Sun during a Thanksgiving cruise. He arranged a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for us and insisted on serving it course by course with the white glove treatment. I still to this day think of that Thanksgiving in the Owners Suite with the Caribbean in view and Juremar serving our Champagne dinner... Ahhhh

Pat

Our favorite by far is Totaram. He has absolutely the best since of humor. We were on the Pearl in the Garden Villa with another couple and he would bring us breakfast with their order even if we did not order. He would joke and say it was in case we forgot to order.

We just got off the Escape and had him in the Owners Suite. He left us a note on about day four to please order breakfast sometime. Get to know him if you have him as a Butler, he'll keep you laughing.

Pat

• 2 months later...
It sounds like you were on the Dawn after the recent refurb? I've seen pictures and the refurb of the Dawn's GVs looks really nice. Only problem is the pricing is crazy.

The Dawn class GVs have the huge upper deck area and my guess it is really well under-utilized so on the Jewel class they took most of that away and made it into the Haven areas.

I like the front suites too. We sailed on Gem DOS which overlooks the pool area and it is actually kind of fun to see what is going on and there wasn't any noise issues. DW probably likes that better than the front suites.

Gem DOS is my all-time favorite room ever!!! :)

We have had butlers that were really great and others who were downright MIA.

First butler was really fabulous, and we did not realize it until next cruise with butler. Then we saw how much it can vary.

Had to take it up with concierge and she had a talk with him. He claimed our suite was too far to walk so he only came once a day. Oh well....most are really great.

(we ended up tipping our steward most of butler tip as he did double duty to make sure we had coffee etc)

We had Rufino on the Jewel last year. We didn't ask him to do all that much, but he was always prompt and friendly when we did. He asked what kinds of snacks we liked on the first day, and he made sure we always had some.

Just for fun....who was your great butler on ncl?

Mine was Walter Haven/Pearl

Marivic Asuncion

Rodney Irodistan

Crisol Tibayan

Mansur Hasdinil

Reynaldo Villazor

Wilfredo (Willy) Erum

Guy Pavlisko

Antonio Jabol

Charlie Cuevas

Joaquin Dumipig

Nelson D Almeida

Rufino Nunal

Sor Walter Lopez

I Pustu Abdadi

Amit Malbari

All great butlers.

I find it amusing the reference to particular ships. Butlers rotate very frequent between ships. There is absolutely zero correlation between butlers and ships.