Great Butlers of NCL

NancyL2

We have experienced many butlers on our NCL cruises. By far, Seka on the Star was the best.

The concierge who should train all other concierge staff is Bruno from the Jewel!

They made each trip so very wonderful and special!

Seka is now a butler on the Breakaway we had her last week she was awesome. Loved her

• 2 weeks later...

Maxi and Arnie of course...although heard last week that Arnie had LEFT the company! I even remember when John De Sousa was a butler! And a fine one he was!

Maria has been wonderful also....it makes me sad to read this and realize that I have NOT kept track of all of the butlers that we have been fortunate enough to have. As even those who were less than stellar.....seemed to be truly trying their best! And we have never complained about any of them....just some were better than others.

This is a great thread. I read through for all of the Breakaway Butlers since we have a Haven booked in March.

We're taking a test cruise on the same ship this November but in a balcony family stateroom. If we ...and more importantly the kids

like it, I suspect we won't return to land based vacations for several years. This will also allow us to compare the two cabins.

In standard cabins without the Butler, are there other options for that level of service? I know there is room service but what about

other things the Butler does?

This is a great thread. I read through for all of the Breakaway Butlers since we have a Haven booked in March.

We're taking a test cruise on the same ship this November but in a balcony family stateroom. If we ...and more importantly the kids

like it, I suspect we won't return to land based vacations for several years. This will also allow us to compare the two cabins.

In standard cabins without the Butler, are there other options for that level of service? I know there is room service but what about

other things the Butler does?

None that I can think of.

It's been awhile since we've been on BA but at the time the butlers rotated rooms every two weeks.

I have a bid in to upgrade to a suite on the Epic in Dec., Totaram and Teo are two of the best butlers we have had, anyone know who the butler is on Epic now and how they compare to those two I mentioned, might up my bid:D

• 6 months later...

Joseph at the Star was the one who spoiled us rotten. He was like our shadow...always there when we had to go to the restaurants.

Hanno - hands down was the best concierge. He looked intimidating because he was like a giant. However, he was very efficient and professional. Always had the right answers.

Joseph at the Star was the one who spoiled us rotten. He was like our shadow...always there when we had to go to the restaurants.

Hanno - hands down was the best concierge. He looked intimidating because he was like a giant. However, he was very efficient and professional. Always had the right answers.

Love Hanno!!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Hanno is right at the top with MAXI, David C., Carlos, Arnie (left NCL), Jennifer, Monica, Efren, Bruno (Yes I love Bruno!), and others that have slipped in my memory.

Thru the years I have spoken with the staff during our cruises. The one thing that I always hear is how worried they are about getting older in this industry. Shipping lines have a tendency not to want to re-hire staff members who are nearing their mid 40s. And this is why the good staff members just disappear or are forced to retire. No matter how good they are, their contracts become harder to re-negotiate once they hit their 40s. It is a pity because the really good butlers come with years of experience.

Best was MAXI the Magnificent.

My first butler, who shall remain nameless, was least best. He got off on one of our ports and kept going!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maxi is wonderful

But for us Marvin on Epic and Star - he is what the world needs

Thru the years I have spoken with the staff during our cruises. The one thing that I always hear is how worried they are about getting older in this industry. Shipping lines have a tendency not to want to re-hire staff members who are nearing their mid 40s. And this is why the good staff members just disappear or are forced to retire. No matter how good they are, their contracts become harder to re-negotiate once they hit their 40s. It is a pity because the really good butlers come with years of experience.

I found this interesting.

I would suppose this is a monetary consideration - younger = cheaper.

I have not noticed this on NCL, but then I don't know all of the crew members.

A favorite of ours - Brian Walters - HD - is "older" as is one of our favorite Butlers, Maxi.

I know of other crew members in their 50's and above.

We once had a room steward who was at least in his 60's and could not remember our names.

He'd forget when we made a request.

He was a kind fellow, but we felt it was time for him to retire.:rolleyes:

Have you noticed this "early retirement on NCL?